Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Pending decision after interview ! IO told that he has to ask to his supervisor !!

My Fiancee was entered in US in July 2002 with her parents on the bases of family file.That time she was pursuing her engineering studies in india. So, she continued her study along with maintanence of green card status. From july 2002 to july 2004 she frequently visited US from india.( 2 to 3 weeks visits). She has done every efforts to maintain her GC status alive. But in between once she stayed 8 months in india due to her studies. From july 2004 to present date she mostly stayes in US. She has completed more than 40 months stay in US. She was on NRI seat during her education in india. Her father had paid entire fees from US only. She had bank account in US from 2002. She has driving license since 2003.
Finally she had her interview yesterday. She had her interview at Newark,NJ. Her IO was nice. With all above mentioned details, I assume he must had plans to reject her file. But my fiancee and her lawyer have done decent job. They explained each and every thing to prove her family bindings, and her positive intention to maintain her GC from day one. They explained that just because of her professional studies in intial period she stayed less in US. Ultimately that IO was conviced and took all the signs on photograph and on few papers. He told them that he has to take opinion from his superviser for further. Now , we have no clue whether we concider the final result would be positive or negative. IO told that a letter will be sent directly at home about final decision.
Now kindly, give me your expert opinion about our case.
[1] Will she get her oath letter ? If, yes then how much time it will take ?
[2] If, there will be negative reply from them then what should be our next step in future ? Do we have to apply again with starting point ?

Good News.

Received my IL in the mail on Saturday.

But my Interview is scheduled at Cherry Hill on February 12th.

Anyone knows if they have the facility for oath on the same day?

Also, the IL says "Notice to appear for Initial Interview". Should I expect another interview after this one?

congrats rizven

Rizven,

Congrats.

so you wre not stuck in name check. great news!!

I think it says on all letters "initial interviews" so nothing to worry about it.

All the best for your interview.

Regards

hi rezven did your status change online or still the same

Good News.

Received my IL in the mail on Saturday.

But my Interview is scheduled at Cherry Hill on February 12th.

Anyone knows if they have the facility for oath on the same day?

Also, the IL says "Notice to appear for Initial Interview". Should I expect another interview after this one?

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

hi rizven congrats
i want to ask u one thing did your status change online or still the same..

Finished Interview :)

Hi,

I had my interview as well as the oath. Now a US citizen :)

Finally end of a long wait :)

Here are some points from my experience

1. Even if u reach on time.. u may be called after 2 hours... My interview was scheduled early morning.. but I was called after 2.5 hours.. Dont panic if ur name is not called

2. there are interviews on 13th and 15th floor.. check ur letter which floor is ur interview..

3. Keep a copy of the N400 if you can.. helps to make sure u are saying what u had submitted

4. Keep the copy of ur traffic ticket if u can.. My Officer had asked me

5. Sign with your full name when he asks you.. Do not underline after signing

6. There is lot of time.. so take some books for reading and also some snacks..

7. Oath is conducted 3 time a day in Newark at 11:15 , 1:15 and 4:15

8. Oath is conducted in the 15th floor

9. All the questions asked was fromt eh book

1. how many stars on the flag
2. what is the color of the flag
3. who is the president
4. who sits in the white house
5. who has the power to declare war
6. what is the 50th state
7. what is the capital of NJ
8. what are the 3 branches
9. what is a benefit of becoming citizen?
10.. ..... forgot ??

10. Dress Neatly :)

we have interview set for very early hours too... both for me and my wife... question to you - have you noticed any children that were accompanying parents? our kid is born here so she is not invited for the interview... we were planning on taking her along with us... thanks for your reply...
Hi,

Here are some points from my experience

1. Even if u reach on time.. u may be called after 2 hours... My interview was scheduled early morning.. but I was called after 2.5 hours.. Dont panic if ur name is not called

2. there are interviews on 13th and 15th floor.. check ur letter which floor is ur interview..

3. Keep a copy of the N400 if you can.. helps to make sure u are saying what u had submitted

4. Keep the copy of ur traffic ticket if u can.. My Officer had asked me

5. Sign with your full name when he asks you.. Do not underline after signing

6. There is lot of time.. so take some books for reading and also some snacks..

7. Oath is conducted 3 time a day in Newark at 11:15 , 1:15 and 4:15

8. Oath is conducted in the 15th floor

9. All the questions asked was fromt eh book

1. how many stars on the flag
2. what is the color of the flag
3. who is the president
4. who sits in the white house
5. who has the power to declare war
6. what is the 50th state
7. what is the capital of NJ
8. what are the 3 branches
9. what is a benefit of becoming citizen?
10.. ..... forgot ??

10. Dress Neatly :)

Hi,

Congrats ctzn07! Welcome to US citizenship - it's a great feeling!

BTW, I totally endorse your recommendation of taking reading materials to the interview to pass your time by.

Got N 600 - Cert. of Citizenship for my Daughter -

Became Citzen ~ April 2007.
Daughter born in India - had Green card, but citizen automatically, as soon as we became citizen.
Got US Passport for me, wife and Daughter
Got OCI card for all of us.
Applied N-600 for my Daughter -
Mailed July ~ 15 2007
Check $255 cashed and Got grocery style reciept ~ July 2007 end.

Was getting worried, why did not get the certificate - Then realized, all apps. are delayed from July due to flood of applications due to fee increase..

Anyway, good news - Got the Certificate by US Certified mail Today - (Was luckily working from home!)
Also letter says - mail the green card back to Newark office.

So finally INS work is done!!!

Good Luck to all!

I am a US Citizen!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all! I am finally a US Citizen!!! Absolutely delighted. And before I describe my experience, I want to thank everyone on this board for their invaluable advice! Made the pain of waiting a lot lighter!

So, here's a very detailed account of my experience...

I had a interview schedule for myself and my wife.

- Appointment was at 9:00 AM, got there at 8:20. Parked at Parking before the Fed. building for $13.50 all-day.

- Once upstairs on 15th floor, We dropped the IL in the box at Window # 1 as required and waited to be called. A few dozen people were there in the waiting room, I recommend business casual at least.

- My wife got called at 10:15. Guy who interviewed her was okay. Wasn't particularly nice, nor was he rude or anything. Just straight to the point, with little or no warmth. Others around there seemed friendlier. He was keep asking her about the middle name (after marriage name). In the application we fill-out her passport name (before marriage) but he suggest her to write my name as a Middle name and sign couple times with the full name.

- I got called around 10:40 a.m. A lady who interviewed me was very straight forward.

- Went to her office. She asked me to raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth. I did, and then we sent down for the interview.

- Interviewer went over the application with me. Asked me a few questions from the application. Asked me about any travel over 6 months, and there was nothing like that.

- Asked for my passport and green card. She didn't ask me for my old passport. She just checked the photo page of my pc.

- Next, we went to 10 questions. They were already printed out on a sheet and She went through them one by one, but very, very quickly - She asked me only 7 questions and all correct. She didn't ask me 10 questions, and told me that you pass the test.

The questions were: 1) Color of the Stars; 2) How many years we elect senator; 3) Who becomes President if the President dies? 4) What are the three branches of our government?; 5) How many Senators are there in Congress?; I don't recall other questions but was very simple questions.

- She asked me to write a sentence: "Today is Sunny Day." Then She gave me some papers to sign. Had to sign my full name in cursive, rather than my normal signature. My handwriting is terrible so that didn't look that great!

- Interview was done in less than 10 minutes. Interviewer gave me two pieces of paper, and told me to wait in waiting area until my name announce. She suggest me that I have to return my GC when they going to call me.

- Please note that they gave only 1 form to my wife (not the N-652 form - that I have passed the test) but do not panic it's okay. You don't need that form for your citizenship process. I went back to the waiting area for long time.

- Finally at around 11:30 PM I was called! That was a massive relief. I handed in the green card and the form given to me my the interviewer. The lady at the counter was really nice, she congratulated me with a huge smile. It was a good feeling to see the certificate with my name and picture on it. They take it back once you sign it, in order to give it after you take Oath. I have to sign one on my original certificate and one on copy of my certificate.

- She didn't congratulate me or anything, just said that sign my full name (one on original certificate and one on copy of certificate for their file). I went back to the waiting area for until 1:10 P.M.

- Pretty standard stuff - lady from CIS explained some processes about citizenship overall. We then took Oath, followed by Pledge of Allegiance, followed by welcome message from Dubya, followed by a video of the "I'm proud to be an American" song.

- Then they handed out the certificates, and we were free to go unless we want to ask any questions about our citizenship. Ceremony was easily less than half-an-hour beginning to end.

Overall, a pretty good experience, and an absolute joy when it was all over! It was a great feeling, and a great moment for me. It's been more than 10 years since I came to the US as an undergraduate student, and my path to citizenship is finally over. At the risk of plagiarizing the song, I am proud to be an American! I'm very, very happy today.

The overly practical interviewer, and the edgy wait for my name to be called threw me off a bit. But hey, it's all over now! Goodbye CIS !!!

Again, thanks everyone for your advice throughout this wait! I will still be checking the board periodically, and will be happy to answer any questions.

I was carry all my papers and they didn't ask or check anything at all.

Take care, and best of luck to those who are waiting! It will be over soon. One piece of advice - I strongly recommend taking a book or something else to read since there is absolutely nothing to do in the waiting area (no cell phones allowed, etc.). It worked out very well for me.

Please don't take your kids because they will get tired. You can take your kids over there without any problem. They will also allow the relatives to come in the Oath Hall. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

05/03/07 : Application sent by UPS
05/05/2007 Application Received by VSC
05/17/2007 Check Cashed
05/23/2007 NOA received
05/25/2007 FP Notice received (Both)
06/06/2007 FP Done
11/10/07 : IL received (dated 09/29/07)
01/14/08 : Interview/Oath completed at Newark, Naturalization Certificate received

So you didn't have to go to Newark ? That's good news. I'm also waiting for my son's certificate. I mailed in his application on Aug 11th so hopefully another month for me.

Thanks for the info.

Became Citzen ~ April 2007.
Daughter born in India - had Green card, but citizen automatically, as soon as we became citizen.
Got US Passport for me, wife and Daughter
Got OCI card for all of us.
Applied N-600 for my Daughter -
Mailed July ~ 15 2007
Check $255 cashed and Got grocery style reciept ~ July 2007 end.

Was getting worried, why did not get the certificate - Then realized, all apps. are delayed from July due to flood of applications due to fee increase..

Anyway, good news - Got the Certificate by US Certified mail Today - (Was luckily working from home!)
Also letter says - mail the green card back to Newark office.

So finally INS work is done!!!

Good Luck to all!

Congrats BM13! Your post seems oddly familiar though. Hmmm, where I have I read something so similar before? LOL!!! :)

I am a US Citizen!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all! I am finally a US Citizen!!! Absolutely delighted. And before I describe my experience, I want to thank everyone on this board for their invaluable advice! Made the pain of waiting a lot lighter!

I had a interview schedule for myself and my wife.

- Appointment was at 9:00 AM, got there at 8:20. Parked at Parking before the Fed. building for $13.50 all-day.

- Once upstairs on 15th floor, We dropped the IL in the box at Window # 1 as required and waited to be called. A few dozen people were there in the waiting room, I recommend business casual at least.

- My wife got called at 10:15. Guy who interviewed her was okay. Wasn't particularly nice, nor was he rude or anything. Just straight to the point, with little or no warmth. Others around there seemed friendlier. He was keep asking her about the middle name (after marriage name). In the application we fill-out her passport name (before marriage) but he suggest her to write my name as a Middle name and sign couple times with the full name.

- I got called around 10:40 a.m. A lady who interviewed me was very straight forward.

- Went to her office. She asked me to raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth. I did, and then we sent down for the interview.

- Interviewer went over the application with me. Asked me a few questions from the application. Asked me about any travel over 6 months, and there was nothing like that.

- Asked for my passport and green card. She didn't ask me for my old passport. She just checked the photo page of my pc.

- Next, we went to 10 questions. They were already printed out on a sheet and She went through them one by one, but very, very quickly - She asked me only 7 questions and all correct. She didn't ask me 10 questions, and told me that you pass the test.

The questions were: 1) Color of the Stars; 2) How many years we elect senator; 3) Who becomes President if the President dies? 4) What are the three branches of our government?; 5) How many Senators are there in Congress?; I don't recall other questions but was very simple questions.

- She asked me to write a sentence: "Today is Sunny Day." Then She gave me some papers to sign. Had to sign my full name in cursive, rather than my normal signature. My handwriting is terrible so that didn't look that great!

- Interview was done in less than 10 minutes. Interviewer gave me two pieces of paper, and told me to wait in waiting area until my name announce. She suggest me that I have to return my GC when they going to call me.

- Please note that they gave only 1 form to my wife (not the N-652 form - that I have passed the test) but do not panic it's okay. You don't need that form for your citizenship process. I went back to the waiting area for long time.

- Finally at around 11:30 PM I was called! That was a massive relief. I handed in the green card and the form given to me my the interviewer. The lady at the counter was really nice, she congratulated me with a huge smile. It was a good feeling to see the certificate with my name and picture on it. They take it back once you sign it, in order to give it after you take Oath. I have to sign one on my original certificate and one on copy of my certificate.

- She didn't congratulate me or anything, just said that sign my full name (one on original certificate and one on copy of certificate for their file). I went back to the waiting area for until 1:10 P.M.

- Pretty standard stuff - lady from CIS explained some processes about citizenship overall. We then took Oath, followed by Pledge of Allegiance, followed by welcome message from Dubya, followed by a video of the "I'm proud to be an American" song.

- Then they handed out the certificates, and we were free to go unless we want to ask any questions about our citizenship. Ceremony was easily less than half-an-hour beginning to end.

Overall, a pretty good experience, and an absolute joy when it was all over! It was a great feeling, and a great moment for me. It's been more than 10 years since I came to the US as an undergraduate student, and my path to citizenship is finally over. At the risk of plagiarizing the song, I am proud to be an American! I'm very, very happy today.

The overly practical interviewer, and the edgy wait for my name to be called threw me off a bit. But hey, it's all over now! Goodbye CIS !!!

Again, thanks everyone for your advice throughout this wait! I will still be checking the board periodically, and will be happy to answer any questions.

Take care, and best of luck to those who are waiting! It will be over soon. One piece of advice - I strongly recommend taking a book or something else to read since there is absolutely nothing to do in the waiting area (no cell phones allowed, etc.). It worked out very well for me.

Please don't take your kids because they will get tired. You can take your kids over there without any problem. They will also allow the relatives to come in the Oath Hall. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

05/03/07 : Application sent by UPS
05/05/2007 Application Received by VSC
05/17/2007 Check Cashed
05/23/2007 NOA received
05/25/2007 FP Notice received (Both)
06/06/2007 FP Done
11/10/07 : IL received (dated 09/29/07)
01/14/08 : Interview/Oath completed at Newark, Naturalization Certificate received

Maddie I just made some changes in your post

Hi Maddie;

You have put so nice details, so i only have to add couple extra details. I really admire your hard work and detail information about the interview. I have took the all papers I can think for my interview, and may be my file was the biggest file in the whole group.

Once again, thank you very much for your detail about the citizenship interview.

I'm finally a US citizen (AC21 case )

Thanks to Maddie and BM13 for such a nice write up. I'm going to use it as template.

Here is my experience:

I am a US Citizen!!!

my GC is a AC21 case. I changed employer after 8 months applying I485. Though, INS was never notified. And, I did put in the exact dates of employment on N400. But, no questions asked at all. Only verified the current employer info.

I had a interview schedule for myself.

- Appointment was at 1:40 PM, got there at 1:00. Parked at Parking adjacent the Fed. building for $13.50 all-day.

- Once upstairs on 15th floor, I handed over the IL to the lady in the box at Window # 1 as required and waited to be called. A few dozen people were there in the waiting room, I recommend business casual at least.

- I got called around 2PM. A male officer who interviewed me was very straight forward.

- Went to his office by door 1. He asked me to raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth. I did, and then we sent down for the interview.

- Interviewer went over the application with me. No questions other than address, current employer, marital status, number of kids

- Asked for my passport and green card. He didn't ask me for my old passport. He checked the photo page and travel dates page and tallied to the travel info on N400 application. No questions asked.

- Next, we went to civics questions. He asked me only 6 questions, and told me that you pass the test.

They are all very very simple questions.

- He asked me to write a very simple engish sentence. Then he gave me some papers to sign. Had to sign my full name in cursive, rather than my normal signature.

- Interview was done in less than 5 minutes. Interviewer gave me two pieces of paper, and told me that I was approved for citizenship and congratulated me and asked me to wait in waiting area until my name announce. He suggest me that I have to return my GC when they going to call me. He also said my oath is scheduled for 2:30pm

- I went back to the waiting area for long time.

- Finally at around 3 PM I was called! I handed in the green card and the form given to me my the interviewer. The gentleman at the counter was really nice, he congratulated me with a huge smile. It was a good feeling to see the certificate with my name and picture on it. They take it back once you sign it, in order to give it after you take Oath. I have to sign one on my original certificate and one on copy of my certificate.

- He did congratulate me, said that to sign my full name (one on original certificate and one on copy of certificate for their file). I went back to the waiting area for until 4:15 P.M.

Overall, a pretty good experience! It was a great feeling, and a great moment for me. It's been more than 11 years.

take care, and best of luck to those who are waiting!

-----------------------------
Citizenship approved on 1/16/2008
Int scheduled for 1/16/2008
IL received on 11/10/2007
IL notice date : 11/5/2007

N400 Priority Date ...- 05/11/2007

Last edited by a moderator:
newark timeline

I just signed on to update the status:
N-400 Package sent on Jan 5/2008 (Sat) by USPS
Package received on Jan 7/2008 (Mon)
Check cashed on Jan 10/2008 (Thu)