Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

How can I find out if I am stuck in name check?

If you have inquired with USCIS over several months about the status of your case and the response has been "background check pending", that is a good indication that your case may be stuck in name check.

make an infopass

Hi Rizven,

If you call 800 number and they let you talk to IO then you can find out. Otherwise you need to make infopass appointment and can find out.
Also you can write to your senator and ask them to follow up.
You can also write to USCIS Ombudsman's office.

Best way is infopass.

Regards

Passport Received - Interesting Experience

Went for my passport appointment yesterday at 8:30 AM at the NYC regional passport office. NYC office is very near the Houston Street subway stop on Line 1.

Process was fairly straightforward. Make sure you have your appointment confirmation number with you. Once I was checked in at the information booth (about 10 minutes in line), I was asked to go to the 10th floor, where I waited just a couple of minutes before my number was called.

Gave Naturalization Certificate, completed application form, travel itinerary, and photos to the lady at the counter. I signed something, paid $157 by credit card, was given a pickup slip, and we were done in just a few minutes. Pickup slip said the passport would be ready at 10 AM! Damn, just 1.5 hour, awesome! I'll just wait here till then.

But...

As I was waiting, 10 AM became 10:30, which became 11:00, and then 11:30. Finally, at 11:45, some official announced that the passport system was down, and that no more passports would be printed!!! (a few made it through earlier, but it was slow goings)! Everyone who was waiting for a passport was asked to leave, and only those who were traveling the same day were allowed to stay, and there was still no guarantee that they would get their passports.

So I left. FYI, there's no way of finding out if your passport is ready (you can't call, you can't check online, etc). I, however, am very lucky that my parents live in Manhattan, so I gave my pickup slip to my father (you can sign it over to an authorized person for pickup) and he went today and it was ready. So he picked it up, and they returned my Naturalization Certificate as well, of course. Took him just 2-3 minutes for everything. So, all is good!

A few pieces of advice:

- Complete the passport form online and print out the resultant PDF. This print-out contains a bar code with all the information you entered, so one scan and all your information gets uploaded. Easy for them, easy for you.

- Don't arrive more than 15 minutes earlier than the scheduled appointment time - they will turn you away and ask you to come back closer to the appointment time.

- Don't lose your pickup slip! One guy had lost his, and they gave him a pretty tough time.

Well, that ends my process! I travel on Saturday on a US passport for the first time, and I am looking forward to it. Thanks all on this board for all the advice and info! Timeline (below) has been updated. I will still be monitoring the boards for the near future, but of course not when I am traveling!

Happy Holidays to all of you (I sure got a great present)!!!

Regards.

04/17/07 : Application sent by UPS
04/18/07 : Received Date, Priority Date
05/02/07 : Receipt notice
05/10/07 : Fingerprints notice
05/23/07 : Fingerprinting completed at Newark
10/02/07 : Case status disappears online
10/04/07 : IL received (dated 09/29/07)
12/12/07 : Interview/Oath completed at Newark, Naturalization Certificate received
12/18/07 : Passport appointment completed at NYC regional passport office
12/19/07 : Passport picked-up from NYC regional passport office

Please give your expert suggesstions !

My Fiancee was entered in US in July 2002 with her parents on the bases of family file.That time she was pursuing her engineering studies in india. So, she continued her study along with maintanence of green card status. From july 2002 to july 2004 she frequently visited US from india.( 2 to 3 weeks visits). She has done every efforts to maintain her GC status alive. But in between once she stayed 8 months in india due to her studies. From july 2004 to present date she mostly stayes in US. She has completed more than 40 months stay in US. She was on NRI seat during her education in india. Her father had paid entire fees from US only. She had bank account in US from 2002. She has driving license since 2003.
Finally she had her interview yesterday. IO was nice. With all above mentioned details, I assume he must had plans to reject her file. But my fiancee and her lawyer have done decent job. They explained each and every thing to prove her family bindings, and her positive intention to maintain her GC from day one. They explained that just because of her professional studies in intial period she stayed less in US. Ultimately that IO was conviced and took all the signs on photograph and on few papers. He told them that he has to take opinion from his superviser for further. Now , we have no clue whether we concider the final result would be positive or negative. IO told that a letter will be sent directly at home about final decision.
Now kindly, give me your expert opinion about our case.
[1] Will she get her oath letter ? If, yes then how much time it will take ?
[2] If, there will be negative reply from them then what should be our next step in future ? Do we have to apply again with starting point ?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the place. She had her interview at Newark,NJ. Her father has passed his own interview and finished Oath procedure 2 days back.

My case is stuck in name check

My case is stuck in name check.

What should I do now?
How long I have to wait before hearing something?

Please advise

N400 Sent on 04/2/2007
Received on 04/11/2007
Finger Print 05/08/2007
IL?

Thank you guys

Thank you all

Thank you all for your posts which was very helpful.

Had my interview on the 19th Dec. at Newark. Everything was smooth. No problems.

My appointment was at 2 pm. I was out of there by 5:15pm.

It is very interesting to see some people coming this forum and thanking everybody in their first email. Everybody is trying to help each other by giving their time line and experience. I guess some people only use it when they need info or thank people..it won't hurt to write couple of sentences. good job, very selfish..

Interview Experience

Was in rush the other day. here are the details. hope they are helpful

Application 28 Apr 2007
Finger print: approx one month after that
Interview letter: sometime in oct 2007 1st week
Interview date: dec 19, 2007, 2pm

Arrived at Newark Office at around 1:30 pm (parked at the parking lot opposite the bldg on Court street, charge $10)

Went through security and then on to the 15th floor. submitted by interview letter at window 1.

got called for the interview at around 2:35pm. Officer was very polite. he quickly went through my application.

The ten questions were out of those 100 questions. then asked me write a simple sentence.

Then made me sign my full name at various places. congratulated me, and that was all. the whole interview lasted for about 20-25 minutes.

Then waited in the waiting area. they called my name at 4:15 pm. went to the window and checked the info on my naturalization certificate is correct, and then signed it.

Then around 4.45pm we were taken to a diffrent room (on the same floor) for oath ceremony. that lasted for about 20 minutes at the end of which we were handed other certificates.

So all in all the whole process went through without a hitch.

P.S. Passport interview on 4th Jan 2008

N-400 Delay

I called the 1-800 number and talked to a rep.

She told me that they are still processing the applications from April 19th.

But when I looked up some of the guys on this forum, I saw that people who had their Fingerprints done after me have an interview scheduled in Feb.

How come I am not in the same processing timeline, since I also live in NJ?

Any ideas?

maybe stuck in namecheck

Hi rizven,

seems like you are stuck in namecheck.(I am in same situation). There is nothing you can do (other than writing to your senator/uscis ombudsman..although I do not know how much that helps). so all we caan do now is to just wait and hope for the best.

sorry I could not be more encouraging.

Regards

Thanks waiting.

Do you know if this is the right time to schedule an Infopass? Its only been six months since I filed my application.

My Timeline:

Reciept Date: 06/25/007
Priority Date: 6/25/2007
Notice Date: 7/10/2007
FP: 8/02/2007
IL:??
ID:??

Last edited by a moderator:
give it couple of months

Hi Rizven,

I would say give it a couple of months more. maybe you will get lucky and you are delayed by some other reason than name check and you might get IL in next 2 months.
(No harm in scheduling infopass and asking them..only thing is they may tell you to wait)

Regards

junefilernj

Thanks waiting.

Do you know if this is the right time to schedule an Infopass? Its only been six months since I filed my application.

My Timeline:

Reciept Date: 06/25/007
Priority Date: 6/25/2007
Notice Date: 7/10/2007
FP: 8/02/2007
IL:??
ID:??

I applied in june also
receipt date: 06/15/07
priority Date 01/15/07
FP date :july 20
IL: ?

Citizen Now.

Applied end of April. Had my interview last week.
The officer was a very very very nice person (No exaggeration) If i remember correctly name ended with Stien.
Went through my application, asked 10 question, no pressure at all.
Finally congratulated me and walked me out.

Congratulations...

===========================
I have update for 2 citizenship case:
VSC (Newark, NJ)

N-400 Mailed: ... 8/28/2007
N-400 received by VSC: ... 8/31/2007
Priority Date: Aug 31, 2007
NOA Receipt Date: Aug 31, 2007
NOA Mailed Date: Dec 4, 2007
Check cashed: 11/15/2007
FP Date: 01/17/2008
Interview Notice ... ?