Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Until now I was a passive visitor on this site.
After reading different post I thoguht that it will take me 16 months to recevie the IL letter etc.
I just received my IL yesterday(thank God).
Here is my info.My wife has the same dates(lol!).
SVC Center - Newark
RD- june 20,2007
PD -june 20,2007
ND-July 5, 2007
FP-July 26, 2007
IL Rcvd-Dec 10, 2007
ID- Feb 20,2008

My Timeline

Hello,

Since people who applied in June have started receiving their IL , I am also expecting to receive it very soon.

Here is my timeline:
RD: 6/25/2007
PD :6/25/2007
FD:8/02/2007
IL: ??
ID:??

Also, should I expect the status to disappear online?

Hey guys,
the way Nilgiri has explained the events, it feels that we are attending the interview.

However, I can not trust his words that the officer asked him to name the 13 states in the order.

After living in the USA for more than 10 years I have come to conclude that, USA culture does not encourage learning things by heart especially things like States in order...

Is it a trick to scare the people out here or what?
badprapan2,

What's wrong with you man?

When the immigration officer asked me to answer the 13 states in order he meant it
1 state (any state, eg. new jersey), 2 state (any state, eg. maryland), just so that he
could keep count and that there would be no repititions.

Did we beat you guys badly in soccer or something in school?

badprapan2,

What's wrong with you man?

When the immigration officer asked me to answer the 13 states in order he meant it
1 state (any state, eg. new jersey), 2 state (any state, eg. maryland), just so that he
could keep count and that there would be no repititions.

Did we beat you guys badly in soccer or something in school?

She may have understood "in order" to mean in chronological order (when they joined union) rather than just numbering them to avoid duplication.

1. Delaware 2. Pennsylvania 3. New Jersey 4. Georgia 5. Connecticut 6. Massachusetts 7. Maryland 8. South Carolina 9. New Hampshire 10. Virginia 11. New York 12. North Carolina 13. Rhode Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
He may have understood "in order" to mean in chronological order (when they joined union) rather than just numbering them to avoid duplication.

1. Delaware 2. Pennsylvania 3. New Jersey 4. Georgia 5. Connecticut 6. Massachusetts 7. Maryland 8. South Carolina 9. New Hampshire 10. Virginia 11. New York 12. North Carolina 13. Rhode Island.
Bobsmyth,

Absoluetly Right!

Thanks for clarifying it further. Regards.

Thanks for Bob for clarification and sorry Nilgiri for the confusion..

BTW, its not he it she.........:D:D:D
badprapan2,

No problem! I was just trying to be thorough in my first log, thats why you felt that
the way I had written it is as if the reader is going through the interview.

Some of it helps some folks. For others it is more straightforward.

Leyefe12,

First Congrats!

Relax they conduct oaths at 1:30 and 4:30. so I believe you will have time for coffee and snack after the interview:)

Regards

It's not always at 1:30 and 4:30. Mine was at 11:30AM.

I saw a note on the big glass pane where the windows are that they're also doing some on Saturdays now to deal with the increased volume (people applying because of the fee increase, and also applying so they will be able to vote in the 2008 election.)

Concerned

Should I be concerned that I have not yet received my Interview letter?

PD: 7/11/2007
FD: 8/02/2007
IL:??

I see that people with dates after or before me have received the Interview letters.

Have patience and hope for the best

Hi,

Do not get concerned. However (and I hope I am wrong) this delay may be caused by your case stuck in name check. My PD is apr 2007 and i didnt get IL yet.

Just hope and pray you go through.

Regards

I am a US Citizen!!!

Hello all! I am finally a US Citizen!!! Absolutely delighted. And before I describe my experience, I want to thank everyone on this board for their invaluable advice! Made the pain of waiting a lot lighter!

So, here's a very detailed account of my experience...

- Appointment was at 8:00 AM, got there at 7:20. Parked at the Central Parking right across the Fed building for $10 all-day.

- There was a line outside, about 30-people strong. They started letting us in around 7:45. Thankfully temperatures were surprisingly in the low-50s this morning, so waiting outside was not an issue.

- Once upstairs, I dropped the IL in the box at Window # 1 as required and waited to be called. A few dozen people were there in the waiting room, dressed in a variety of ways - formal, business casual, very casual. etc. I recommend business casual at least. I mean, why not?

- I got called at 8:30. Guy who interviewed me was okay. Wasn't particularly nice, nor was he rude or anything. Just straight to the point, with little or no warmth. Others around there seemed friendlier.

- Went to his office. He asked me to raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth. I did, and then we sent down for the interview. There was a second interviewer present who was just watching, perhaps he was in-training (or is that standard?).

- Interviewer went over the application with me. Asked me a few questions from the application. Asked me about any travel over 6 months, and there was nothing like that. I gave him an updated travel page since I had left the country for a few weeks after applying.

- Asked me my address, and where I worked, and when I moved to NJ, etc. Standard questions to confirm the info in the application.

- Then went through the other standard questions..."Have you ever joined the Communist Party, have you ever failed to file your taxes, ever been to a mental institution, etc."

- Asked for my passport and green card. He also wanted an older passport so that he could glance through to confirm travel dates, and I had that with me. So make sure you take all passports since the I-551 stamp, if possible.

- Asked for my selective service card, so I proceeded to pull the Internet confirmation printout I had with me, but he then told me not to worry about it.

- He had one comment on the way I answered a question. The question on the application was something like: "Have you ever committed a crime that you were not arrested for." I answered "yes" because of my traffic tickets (since it is a crime/offense, but I wasn't arrested). He said that the question was referring to whether I did something like shoplifting, but got away with it. So he changed it to "No" and I initialed next to it. Fine by me!

- Next, we went to 10 questions. They were already printed out on a sheet and he went through them one by one, but very, very quickly - that added a bit of pressure to be honest, but it wasn't too bad. I got 10/10! The questions were: 1) color of stripes; 2) where is white house; 3) when was Constitution written; 4) which body authorizes war; 5) who appoints SC justices; 6) what is capital of NJ; 7) enemies in WWII; 8) minimum voting age; 9) 49th state; 10) what is executive of state govt called. Hey, not bad to recall all 10 from memory, huh???

- He asked me to write a sentence: "She cooks for her friends." Then he gave me some papers to sign. Had to sign my full name in cursive, rather than my normal signature. My handwriting is terrible so that didn't look that great!

- Interview was done in less than 15 minutes. Interviewer gave me two pieces of paper, one for me to keep, and one to complete and turn in when I was called to sign my Naturalization certificate. He told me to be back upstairs at 10 AM because that is when they will start calling people to sign the Naturalization certificates.

- He didn't congratulate me or anything, just said that all looks good and politely waved me out. I actually had to initiate a handshake and a thank you, and then I went back to the waiting area.

- Went down to cafeteria for a bit and came back up at 9:45. Now, the waiting started and it became a bit frustrating. Everyone who had their interviews in the morning were being called to sign their certificates, but my name was not called for a while. The first Oath took place at 11:30 AM, and I was perhaps one of only two or three people who interviewed in the morning but hadn't yet been called. So I missed that one.

- I kept waiting. Asked them a couple of times, but got nothing more than a stern "please wait till your name is called." By about 12:15 I started getting pretty concerned, because nearly everyone who had interviewed upto 11:30 or so were getting called to sign their certificates, I think I was the only one left from the morning.

- I was convinced that something was wrong, and that some issue must have come up and that my Oath would surely be postponed! However, I did see that any applicants with issues were being called up to the counter by their interviewers (very few such cases, and most were resolved immediately). Since my interviewer never called me back up, I got a little bit of comfort that nothing was wrong.

- Finally at around 12:45 I was called! That was a massive relief. I handed in the green card and the form given to me my the interviewer. The lady at the counter was really nice, she congratulated me with a huge smile. It was a good feeling to see the certificate with my name and picture on it. They take it back once you sign it, in order to give it after you take Oath.

- My Oath (the second one of the day) was at around 1:30 (third and last one was scheduled for 4:30). Pretty standard stuff - lady from CIS explained some processes about citizenship overall. We then took Oath, followed by Pledge of Allegiance, followed by welcome message from Dubya, followed by a video of the "I'm proud to be an American" song.

- Then they handed out the certificates, and we were free to go unless we want to ask any questions about our citizenship. Ceremony was easily less than half-an-hour beginning to end.

Overall, a pretty good experience, and an absolute joy when it was all over! It was a great feeling, and a great moment for me. It's been more than 13 years since I came to the US as an undergraduate student, and my path to citizenship is finally over. At the risk of plagiarizing the song, I am proud to be an American! I'm very, very happy today.

The overly practical interviewer, and the edgy wait for my name to be called threw me off a bit. But hey, it's all over now! Goodbye CIS, hello State Department! I have an appointment at the NYC regional passport office next week to get a one-day passport so that I can leave the country the following weekend. Will update you on that when it's done.

Again, thanks everyone for your advice throughout this wait! I will still be checking the board periodically, and will be happy to answer any questions.

Take care, and best of luck to those who are waiting! It will be over soon. One piece of advice - I strongly recommend taking a book or something else to read since there is absolutely nothing to do in the waiting area (no cell phones allowed, etc.). It worked out very well for me.

04/17/07 : Application sent by UPS
04/18/07 : Received Date, Priority Date
05/02/07 : Receipt notice
05/10/07 : Fingerprints notice
05/23/07 : Fingerprinting done at Newark
10/02/07 : Case status disappears online
10/04/07 : IL received (dated 09/29/07)
12/12/07 : Interview/Oath completed at Newark, Naturalization Certificate received
12/18/07 : Passport appointment schedule at NYC regional passport office

Hello,

Since people who applied in June have started receiving their IL , I am also expecting to receive it very soon.

Here is my timeline:
PD :6/25/2007
FD:8/02/2007
IL: ??
ID:??

Also, should I expect the status to disappear online?

Mine did not disappear last week but got the IL 12/11/07...

Congrats Maddie

Maddie,

Congrats :)... Finally the wait is over ;-)

have question..

How do u make an appointment in the regional Passport office for getting passport the same day?

how much is the fee.. ?

Also do u need to become an US citizen to make this appointment?

Any advice..

But did it finally disappear after you received your interview letter.

I have not recieved my IL yet and I am having a sinking feeling.

nope... the same exact thing is what im seeing online... no change...

hope you will get your IL soon...

One-Day Passport

Maddie,

Congrats :)... Finally the wait is over ;-)

have question..

How do u make an appointment in the regional Passport office for getting passport the same day?

how much is the fee.. ?

Also do u need to become an US citizen to make this appointment?

Any advice..

ctzn07 - thanks! Yes, it is a relief.

There are 13 regional passport offices in the country where you can get a one-day passport (sometimes they return it the next day if there's a big rush or something). Lucky for us, there are three regional offices in the area - NYC, Philly, and Norwalk, CT. Here's the list of all of them:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_913.html

You call their automated system to set up the appointment (1-877-487-2778) - very easy and efficient. You have to be traveling within 14 days to set up an appointment. So if you call today, the automated system will tell you that your travel date has to be before December 27th. You have to take your itinerary with you to the appointment to confirm your travel dates.

The cost is $160 and they take credit cards which is nice. My appointment is scheduled for Dec 18th.

Note: Theoretically, you probably can set up an appointment once you are within 14 days of your desired appointment date. But I just waited till I was within 14 days of travel to set up the appointment, just to play by the rules.

Hi Maddie;

I have the interview on 1/14/2008 alongwith my wife. What kind of documents do I have to carry ? Do I have to carry two sets (One for me and for my wife). I have file my GC thru employer and 10 years Journey like you. Please send me the detail info. about documents. Also, Do we need to bring the certified tax return copy ?

Please reply me when you get a chance.

BM13

Hi Maddie;

I have the interview on 1/14/2008 alongwith my wife. What kind of documents do I have to carry ? Do I have to carry two sets (One for me and for my wife). I have file my GC thru employer and 10 years Journey like you. Please send me the detail info. about documents. Also, Do we need to bring the certified tax return copy ?

Please reply me when you get a chance.

BM13

BM13 - I had already sent a response to your private message about the same topic, please check your inbox. I will copy it here again for the benefit of other readers:

Hi BM13...I will refer you to the following two posts for a very comprehensive list of what to take:

http://forums.immigration.com/showpo...65&postcount=5

http://forums.immigration.com/showpo...67&postcount=6

A lot of the above might be overkill, but just to be safe, you can take everything it says. In addition to the above, review the checklist that CIS sent you and make sure you have everything on that.

As for leaving employer after GC, I have no idea about that. I didn't fall into that category.

FYI, anything I am telling you is just advice from someone who has been through the process. I'm not a legal expert or anything. You should use your own research or contact CIS for confirmation.

Good luck!

Do we need to get two sets of common documents ?

BM13 - I had already sent a response to your private message about the same topic, please check your inbox. I will copy it here again for the benefit of other readers:

Hi BM13...I will refer you to the following two posts for a very comprehensive list of what to take:

http://forums.immigration.com/showpo...65&postcount=5

http://forums.immigration.com/showpo...67&postcount=6

A lot of the above might be overkill, but just to be safe, you can take everything it says. In addition to the above, review the checklist that CIS sent you and make sure you have everything on that.

As for leaving employer after GC, I have no idea about that. I didn't fall into that category.

FYI, anything I am telling you is just advice from someone who has been through the process. I'm not a legal expert or anything. You should use your own research or contact CIS for confirmation.

Good luck!

Hi maddie;

Thanks for your quick response. I am only confuse for tax returns (how many years and should be only 1040 ? ) and again do I need the two copy - One for me and one for my wife ?

What about common documents ? Do i need the two sets ? We both have the same interview date and time so wondering if they going to call us together or separate.

Thanks;

BM13

Hi maddie;

Thanks for your quick response. I am only confuse for tax returns (how many years and should be only 1040 ? ) and again do I need the two copy - One for me and one for my wife ?

What about common documents ? Do i need the two sets ? We both have the same interview date and time so wondering if they going to call us together or separate.

Thanks;

BM13

I followed what was in the posts I shared with you. So, per those instructions, I took my tax returns for the last 5 years. It was never brought up in the interview (note: it may be more relevant to married couples to ensure they didn't file taxes as "single", but I have no idea). Please refer again to my very detailed review for everything that was asked for from me. Outside of that, there is little I can share with you.

If you have only one copy of any document, I would think you could just inform the interviewer of that if they ask you for something and your spouse has it. But if you want to keep it off your mind, then why not just make another copy?

Contrary to popular belief, CIS is not out there trying their best to find a reason to deny you on some technicality. They actually want you to get citizenship, but they have to make sure you have everything in order and that you have been in the US legally and have avoided crime.

Once again, let me stress that anything I am telling you is just informal advice from someone who has been through the process. I'm not a legal expert or anything. You should do your own research or contact CIS for confirmation.