Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Bhags,

I'm not sure, I didn't check it for a week, so I cannot really tell his message disappeared or not.

Interview Document Checklist - Tax Return Transcripts

I got a document checklist with my interview letter that mentioned "if you have taken any trips lasting more than 6 months outside of US since becoming a permanent resident please bring Tax Return Transcripts of the last 5 years". I am in a similar situation, however for the first year(2001) I was a student and did not have any income. My uncle had claimed me as a dependent on his Tax return. I tried to order the transcript from IRS, but in the transcript, IRS does not mention any information(name, SSN,etc.) of the dependent.

However I do have copy of Tax Return form filed in 2001 which shows me as a dependent. I also have records indicating bank account, state ID, etc. as a proof of residency.

What is my best option in this situation? Do they really check tax return transcripts for all 5 years?

Thanks
patkt

Reply: You probably used Form 4506 - T to request the necessary Tax documents. This can also be done over the phone. However, Form 4506 - T only gives a few lines from the Tax form.

Please go to the following IRS Web Site: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw31.html

Download Form 4506 and have you uncle fill it out along with ($39.00 Fee for each Tax return requested). Mail it our to IRS. It takes upto 60 days for this to arrive so do it right away. This gives the entire tax form which your uncle filed along with you name and SS # as a dependent.

Please be aware that all this will show is that your uncle claimed you as a dependent. INS is checking to make sure whether you abondened your Permanent Residency or not and I am not sure whether your uncle's 2001 Tax return proves that.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer. This advice should not be considered as legal advice. Please use at your own risk.

N400Applier

Thank you for your response. I will order tax return copy. However I already have a copy that my uncle filled out in 2001. Incase I do not get the return copy in time, do you think this will be sufficient? Are the copies that IRS sents different from a photocopy that we have?

Thanks,
patkt

patkt said:
Interview Document Checklist - Tax Return Transcripts

I got a document checklist with my interview letter that mentioned "if you have taken any trips lasting more than 6 months outside of US since becoming a permanent resident please bring Tax Return Transcripts of the last 5 years". I am in a similar situation, however for the first year(2001) I was a student and did not have any income. My uncle had claimed me as a dependent on his Tax return. I tried to order the transcript from IRS, but in the transcript, IRS does not mention any information(name, SSN,etc.) of the dependent.

However I do have copy of Tax Return form filed in 2001 which shows me as a dependent. I also have records indicating bank account, state ID, etc. as a proof of residency.

What is my best option in this situation? Do they really check tax return transcripts for all 5 years?

Thanks
patkt

patkt,
1. First of all, you should not have any problem if you were NOT required to file a tax return and so you have not filed it . IO just wants to ensure if you failed to file US tax return when you you were away from USA for a considerabely longer time ( say more than 6 months , which is critical to determine if you abondon you LPR status) even if you were legally required to file one.
2.Secondly , if you did file one while you were away or after a long absence, IO wants to know if you filed it as a Resident of US or as a Non Resident of US. ( If you filed form 1040 , then htere is no problem.
3. In your case , if you were a student in another country having no income , but your uncle in USA supported you, then you were NOT required legally to file a tax return. So not filing return in that year would not be any problem. Your uncle rightly claimed you as dependent and it would further show that you yourself had no income and so you did not file return.
4. I do not think you should spend $ 39 for certified copy of return of your uncle. You have the copy of return showing your name as dependent, the transcript should match with all entries of return. At the most you can think of getting an affidavit from your uncle stating he claimed you as dependent in that year.
5. If you stayed away for more than 6 months , you might have a RENTRY Permit for that period . If you have one, that should also prove that you had no intention of abondoning LPR status while you were away. You should carry that document for interview.

Hope this info helps.

patkt said:
N400Applier

Thank you for your response. I will order tax return copy. However I already have a copy that my uncle filled out in 2001. Incase I do not get the return copy in time, do you think this will be sufficient? Are the copies that IRS sents different from a photocopy that we have?

Thanks,
patkt
First of all Radni has a lot of valid points.

However, If you decide to spend $39.00 for the tax return and do not get it back on time take your own copy. The copy from IRS will be "official". However, as Radni correctly points out if you filed your own 1040 you should not have any problems. But I believe in 2001 you did not file 1040 but were claimed as a dependent on your uncle's tax return. Take bank account, state ID, etc. as a proof of residency.
Your Uncle's 2001 Tax Return (Your own copy or IRS Copy) may NOT be sufficient to prove that you did not abondon your residency.

NOTE: I am not a lawyer. This advice should not be considered as legal advice. Please use at your own risk.

browny said:
warsigh,

I'm not sure this helps. Our friend who has a PD of 05/05/2006 just got IL, but his interview is at CherryHill. We are all live in Mercer County,so may be it went to cherryhill? Also the case status message(only) changed for all of us - telling us case has been moved to vermont service center,.....

Here's his timeline:

PD:05/05/2006
FP:05/19/2006
IL: 11/25/2006
ID: 01/18/2007

My Timeline:

PD:06/23/2006
FP:07/11/2006.

Good Luck!

Thanks, Browny. I feel a little better. I knew it was probably going to take about 6 months after FP. Now I know for some it took more than 6 months. Aren't some people lucky and we are not one of them. I just wish I could check my status on line.

N400Applier said:
First of all Radni has a lot of valid points.

However, If you decide to spend $39.00 for the tax return and do not get it back on time take your own copy. The copy from IRS will be "official". However, as Radni correctly points out if you filed your own 1040 you should not have any problems. But I believe in 2001 you did not file 1040 but were claimed as a dependent on your uncle's tax return. Take bank account, state ID, etc. as a proof of residency.
Your Uncle's 2001 Tax Return (Your own copy or IRS Copy) may NOT be sufficient to prove that you did not abondon your residency.

If patkt had a Reentry Permit while away more than 6/12 mos , I think he/she should be OK. In that case Rule of 4 Yr. + 1 Day would apply. And I do not think patkt would be required to show that he/she did NOT abondon the residency as he/she was away on a valid Reentry permit. But
Remeber, even if one was away and had income in USA , he/she would be requied to file tax return as a Resident of US . One can and must file return even while away and not necessrily while physically present in USA, if one was legally required to do so. Not having done so would mean you chose not to be treated as a resident of USA and so it would mean one abondoned residency on that account alone . OR having filed a return as a NONRESIDENT would mean you abondoned the residency.
In case of patkt , it does not appear to be so if he/she had a reentry permit. Hence no question of abondonment of residency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Derivative US Citizenship for Minors

Hi All,

I would apologize ahead if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

Does anyone here have minor children who has gotten a derivative US Citizenship due to your naturalization? Have you applied for N-600 for them? How long does it take? Any experience?

Thanks.

Mindi

Oath Ceremony question

Hey guys (and gals),

How long does the ceremony last?
If my schedule was for 11:30, will I be out of the facility by 12nn?
I dunno if I need to take a day off from work for the ceremony.

Thanks,

Hi,
I would advise you to take the whole day off if possible. You need to go to the oath of course. You may as well go to the SS office to update your status and also apply for your passport. Your choice at the end of the day.

mindi said:
Hi All,

I would apologize ahead if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

Does anyone here have minor children who has gotten a derivative US Citizenship due to your naturalization? Have you applied for N-600 for them? How long does it take? Any experience?

Thanks.

Mindi
Yes , this is a wrong thread for this topic.
It will take 2-5 mos depending on your locality.
There are some good threads on this forum giving info on this topic i.e. child citizenship act , derivative citizenship, N-600 etc.
Please look for those threads.

Experience

I got Citizenship last week.
Was a very simple process in the end. Just lot of waiting.

No trick questions asked. I had quit my Green card sponsoring company 1 month after the processing was done & had traffic ticket.

Arond 100-125 people get citizenship per day at Newark office.
Good luck to others.

Question about name change(for my wife) at Newark

Any folks who got name change during naturalization on N-400 AT NEWARK, can you please reply to this:
Does electing to change your name in N-400 cause a delay in the oath ceremony?

Can I not get my interview and oath done on the same day, if I elect name change on my N-400?

I have heard that some district offices do not perform oath on the same day as interview if name change is involved. Is this true for NEWARK also?
Please respond if you know.

Taking a lawyer to the interview

Hello everyone,
My naturalization application had been denied last year (in 2005) as I had not completed the required no.of days under four year + 1 day rule. I reapplied this september and have interview now on Jan 22,2007.
This time although I do not have any such issues, I would like to take a lawyer with me to the interview as I cannot afford to be denied this year. Would there be any negative impact of taking a lawyer to the interview?

Thanks
patkt

patkt said:
Hello everyone,
My naturalization application had been denied last year (in 2005) as I had not completed the required no.of days under four year + 1 day rule. I reapplied this september and have interview now on Jan 22,2007.
This time although I do not have any such issues, I would like to take a lawyer with me to the interview as I cannot afford to be denied this year. Would there be any negative impact of taking a lawyer to the interview?

Thanks
patkt
There is no negative impact in taking a lawyer to your interview. In fact it is better since the INS officer cannot reject on vague reasonings. However it will cost you...

govindm said:
My Timeline:

PD: 11/6/06
FP: 11/24/06
IL: ?

Hi!
In my case it's:
PD: 10/18/2006
FP: 11/03/2006
IL: ?

Based on the Newark timelines described above, I don't expect anything before January...

I do not see any interviews schduled in 2007. Please post your timelines even if you are waiting for your IL. Thanks.

When can I expect FP notice with the following timeline for VSC-DO-Newark-NJ? I would like to plan my vacation accordingly.

My Timeline:
RD:12/04/06
PD:12/04/06

Here is my timeline, should I be worried and start contacting INS?

Here is my timeline for N400

PD: 6/15/2006
FP: 7/7/2006
IL: Not recieved
ID: ???

On website following are dates of processing posted:

District Center - Newark NJ Processing Date - April 14 2006 (N400)
Service Center - Vermont Center Processing Date - June 1st 2006 (N600)

Vermont Service Center does not give any status for N400. Not sure if I am checking the processing dates correctly. Please help.

I see that many people filed in Aug, Sep and later months already got Interview letter and date. Some of them got citizenship. Should I be worried and start contacting INS to find out what is happening with my application?

Greatly appreciate your feedback.