Newark, NJ - N-400 Timeline

Received My Interview Letter

Hi Everyone,

I received my interview today. My Interview Date is set for Jan 11, 2007. All the best to everyone & please keep in touch.

What about those tickets?

sjmurthy said:
patkt, avaswa, muddur01

I also may start a separate thread regarding parking tickets. (I had one which I forgot to disclose in my N-400 Application). But that is a separate issue.

ID

sjmurthy said:
patkt, avaswa, muddur01

I just recieved my Interview letter (and also for my wife). I checked the envelope which indicated that it was mailed out from VSC on Nov 14 2006. However, the IL NOA date is dated Nov 09 2006. This may probably explain the updates we saw in our case, after the case status disappeared.

I also may start a separate thread regarding parking tickets. (I had one which I forgot to disclose in my N-400 Application). But that is a separate issue.

Check your mails. I am sure you should have recieved it. Good Luck. :) Keep us posted.

Vermont Service Center, Newark (NJ) DO.
--------------------------------------
Same dates for myself and my wife.

09/18/2006: N-400 sent
09/20/2006: RD
09/20/2006: PD
09/22/2006: checks cashed
09/26/2006: NOA
09/29/2006: FP Notice Date
10/03/2006: N400 Notice recieved
10/05/2006: FP Letter recieved
10/11/2006: FP Date
11/10/2006: Online case status disappears
11/16/2006: IL (NOA date is 11/09/2006)
01/25/2007: ID

Same here too, notice date was 11/9 & IL was mailed on 11/14.

IL Letter received: and a question.."Initial Interview"..what deos it mean.

IL Letter received:

Yes indeed ..i received the letter yesterdy and ID date is Jan 25th...!

I don't know if any one noticed in the ltter...at the top..the heading says..."Notice about Naturalization Initial Interview"..does it mean its just the interview and not the oath...my timeslot is around 1:30 pm...IN THE AFTERNOON...IF THE INTERVIEW IS SOO LATE...can the oath take place teh same day...or I may need to come back??...any trends anyone has seen...!

Parking tickets

dl7631 said:

dl7631,
I had a parking ticket (from 3 years ago in 2003) that I did not declare.

My friend who had a parking ticket too, did not declare it in his N-400, got worried over it a little bit and called VSC (sometime in Jun 2006) who in turn informed him that he did not have to mention any parking ticket in the N-400 application. I kind of took this for granted and did not mention it in my N-400 Application either.

The ambiguity is in the Part 10, question 16 (in N-400) is "Have you every been arrested, cited, or detained by ....., blah,blah,blah..".

Parking tickets are technically a citation and I had to go to a local municipal court to pay the fine. I read various forums where it was mentioned that Yes, we had to mention parking tickets (as the N-400 mentions if you were cited for any reason and Parking ticket is infact a citation). To add to the confusion, I now see the attached Interview Check List) in the interview letter that I received, that we dont have to provide any documentation if there were traffic offenses which resulted in a fine of $500 or less. Which brings me back to my dilemma if we infact need to declare these "offenses" in Part 10, Q 16.

I dont want to sound paranoid, but I dont want to be shocked at my interview if I get asked about it and see it as a grounds for denial. When my friend had his interview, he was not asked anything about it.

I guess I am trying to find out if anyone else is in the same situation as mine (that is not declaring a parking ticket in the N-400 Application). A Simple YES/NO answer from folks who have been through this would be sufficient and would help.

Any info is appreciated. I will post my experience after my Interview date(01/25/2007).

Interview/Oath same day at Newark ??

muddur01 said:
IL Letter received:

Yes indeed ..i received the letter yesterdy and ID date is Jan 25th...!

I don't know if any one noticed in the ltter...at the top..the heading says..."Notice about Naturalization Initial Interview"..does it mean its just the interview and not the oath...my timeslot is around 1:30 pm...IN THE AFTERNOON...IF THE INTERVIEW IS SOO LATE...can the oath take place teh same day...or I may need to come back??...any trends anyone has seen...!

muddur01,
Yes, I did notice the initial interview. I guess that they are mentioning it in case somebody fails the "tests" and need to retake it again at a later date, hence the word initial (pure guess at this time).

Also, I am just quoting some of my friends' experience who went through their Interview at Newark, NJ. They all had their interview/oath the same day. What I was also told (again just quoting my friends/colleagues) is that If you have your interview in the morning, chances are that everyone will be sworn in at the same time in the evening (along with others who had their interview in the afternoon).

I have read on this forum some incidents of system (read that as computer) being down on the interview date and they had to wait for their oath letter.

My wife and I have our interview at 8.30 and 9.00 AM (respectively) and we are hoping that our oath ceremony will be in the evening. We will keep our fingers crossed that the computers dont go down that day :)

ljl said:
Could you please tell me what number did you call?
And how long did you wait prior to talk to a USCIS representative?

My N-400 timeline:
07/26/06 : N-400 mailed to VSC
07/28/06 : N-400 VSC Priority Date
08/10/06 : N-400 NOA Received
08/11/06 : FP NOA recvd
08/16/06 : FP Appointment
??? : Interview notice recvd
??? : Interview Appointment
??? : Oath

Hi,
My timelines are very similar to yours. My priority date is 7/24/06, the finger printing was done on 8/10/06 and the report sent to CIS on the same day. After that I haven't heard anything nor can I check my case status on line. My case never existed on line, when I try I get error messages. I made an appointment with Newark district office using Infopass on October 27. I was told that my case is pending because my name check report has not been sent by FBI. May be, I am in for a long wait.

Could someone please tell me why some cases are not on line while others are.

IL Received

I received my interview letter yesterday. My updated timeline
Application Date: 09/05/06
Priority Date: 09/11/06
FP date: 10/06/06
Case status disappears: 11/10/06
Case status updated: 11/14/06
IL notice date: 11/09/06
IL received: 11/17/06
Interview Date: 01/22/07 at 8:33 Am

warsigh said:
Hi,
My timelines are very similar to yours. My priority date is 7/24/06, the finger printing was done on 8/10/06 and the report sent to CIS on the same day. After that I haven't heard anything nor can I check my case status on line. My case never existed on line, when I try I get error messages. I made an appointment with Newark district office using Infopass on October 27. I was told that my case is pending because my name check report has not been sent by FBI. May be, I am in for a long wait.

Warsigh,
From what I understand, unfortunately, if your case is pending due to pending name check then there it can take from some days to years. I think INS has no certain time limit within which they have to complete name check.
Hope that your name check is over soon.

Finally got oath letter.

I finally got my oath-taking letter today (it was postmarked yesterday from the Newark DO). I passed the naturalization interview on September 19 and but was unable to take the oath that day because their computer system was down. I am due to take the oath on December 6. By the way, being fed up with the BCIS, I never called nor followed up with them.

warsigh said:
Hi,

Even my case status never appeared online.
Unfortunately, we have to wait.

Muddur01/SJMurthy,
My interview letter did mention Initial interview notice. I think its just a nomenclature they use and nothing to worry about. Lets hope everything goes smooth!

Good Luck,
patkt

Last edited by a moderator:
Case Status

Does anyone know what this status means:

Application Type: N400, APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION
Current Status: Case received and pending.

Received Oath Letter

I was interviewed on 19th sept and was told that due to the system problem, I will not be able to take oath. Today I finally received my oath letter to take oath on 12/15.
My wife was also interviewd on the same day but she yet to receive the oath letter.

jim0906,
You posted message indicating the same situation. Did your wife receive the oath letter yet?
Is there anyone else with similar situation?
Thx

Oath Letter Finally Arrived

hari0912 said:
I was interviewed on 19th sept and was told that due to the system problem, I will not be able to take oath. Today I finally received my oath letter to take oath on 12/15.
My wife was also interviewd on the same day but she yet to receive the oath letter.

jim0906,
You posted message indicating the same situation. Did your wife receive the oath letter yet?
Is there anyone else with similar situation?
Thx

Interviewed on Sept 19.. Same issue, was told that the system was down.
Finally got the oath letter today, scheduled for 12/12 ceremony. Whew!!!

That was a long wait.

warsigh,

I'm not sure this helps. Our friend who has a PD of 05/05/2006 just got IL, but his interview is at CherryHill. We are all live in Mercer County,so may be it went to cherryhill? Also the case status message(only) changed for all of us - telling us case has been moved to vermont service center,.....

Here's his timeline:

PD:05/05/2006
FP:05/19/2006
IL: 11/25/2006
ID: 01/18/2007

My Timeline:

PD:06/23/2006
FP:07/11/2006.

Good Luck!

Case is in Vermont Service Center

browny said:
warsigh,

I'm not sure this helps. Our friend who has a PD of 05/05/2006 just got IL, but his interview is at CherryHill. We are all live in Mercer County,so may be it went to cherryhill? Also the case status message(only) changed for all of us - telling us case has been moved to vermont service center,.....

Here's his timeline:

PD:05/05/2006
FP:05/19/2006
IL: 11/25/2006
ID: 01/18/2007

My Timeline:

PD:06/23/2006
FP:07/11/2006.

Good Luck!

Browny,

Did your friend's status disappear? Or did his status message change to moved to Vermont Service center.

I have observed the same message on my case status too. It says the case is now at the Vermont service center.

My time line is

PD : 07/17/06
FP: 08/04/06.
IL: ???
ID: ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview Document Checklist - Tax Return Transcripts

I got a document checklist with my interview letter that mentioned "if you have taken any trips lasting more than 6 months outside of US since becoming a permanent resident please bring Tax Return Transcripts of the last 5 years". I am in a similar situation, however for the first year(2001) I was a student and did not have any income. My uncle had claimed me as a dependent on his Tax return. I tried to order the transcript from IRS, but in the transcript, IRS does not mention any information(name, SSN,etc.) of the dependent.

However I do have copy of Tax Return form filed in 2001 which shows me as a dependent. I also have records indicating bank account, state ID, etc. as a proof of residency.

What is my best option in this situation? Do they really check tax return transcripts for all 5 years?

Thanks
patkt