New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Just came back from the Oath Ceremony at White Plains' Court House. It was emotional, finally it is over. I was able to apply for my passport at the same place right after the ceremony. The Actually Ceremony only took about 15 minutes, it was the process before hand, waiting for the Immigration officers to check everyone's info that took a while. Thanks god and everyone, and good luck to all who is currently on the process...See you all in Family based forum!

Just came back from the Oath Ceremony at White Plains' Court House. It was emotional, finally it is over. I was able to apply for my passport at the same place right after the ceremony. The Actually Ceremony only took about 15 minutes, it was the process before hand, waiting for the Immigration officers to check everyone's info that took a while. Thanks god and everyone, and good luck to all who is currently on the process...See you all in Family based forum!

Congratulations nycMartin! There's such a huge gap between your In line for Interview and Scheduled for Interview dates. Did you contact them to inquire or did you wait it out? Again... Congrats!

Hi Zoeme ty. To answer your question I called after 7 months of waiting. However, I am not sure how but some people who was assigned Federal P field office, applied after me got the entire process done in 3-4 months. You can see their timelines on this thread. Anyway after I called, not even a week later my status was changed. Good luck to you on your case.

My interview happened on August 23rd, was based on as Asylum based Green Card. I got to 26 Federal Plaza in Manhattan on time and sat down. About 45 minutes later, I, along with 5 other names were called and asked to come through a door. We were led into another smaller room and asked us to sit down. And told us we'd be called. It was probably a different part of the floor where other immigration officers sat. it's also possible we had special circumstances in our cases. I was called first and met an EXCEPTIONALLY professional, polite, and pleasant Immigration Officer. She swore me in, and sat down. We went right to the English Civics questions. I passed the english easily and some of the questions that I can remember were..

"What are the first 10 amendments called?"
Me: "Bill of Rights." Check by the Officer.
"How long do we elect a president for?"
Me: "Four" Check by the Officer.
"Who is the Speaker of the House?"
Me (rolling my eyes HARD): Speaker John Boener. Loud laugh by Officer, and a check.

At this point, another gentleman, who was probaby being trained to becomen an Immigration officer joined us.

She asked me if I had taken any additional trips since I had applied. I responded No.
She asked me about Selctive Service and if I had applied I told her I had a valid on-immigration visa when I applied for asylum and received my final Asylum after I had turned 26 and had the Approval letter which stated that I needed tto apply for Selective Services if I was less than 26 years of age. Which was proof enough for her.

She then went through all of the questions about past arrests/detentions. I had indicated in my original asylum application that I was detained in my home country in 1999 by policemen really looking for a bribe. (I know they only care about anything only in the past 7 years when it come to arrests, detainings, etc.) She wrote, detaining in 1999 aged out. And at that moment I asked her about speeding tickets and whether I had to disclose them. she asked me what I did with them? I told her that I paid them. And she was like, ok, great!

I did change my name and subsequently changed my signature as well. She also said that my oath would be taking place in a different place where there would be a judge who would be doing the name change. Also, that my oath ceremony would take across the street because of the name change. It is going to be quick! I can't wait, I'll be a citizen in time to vote in the NYC PRIMARIES as well as the actual election!!!!

Hope this helps and let me know if anyone has any questions.

My wife finally had her oath today at Federal Plaza with 153 other people. Very quick ceremony, was scheduled for 11am, startet 11:30 and we were out of the building around 12:15.

My FO is NYC I just found out. I have the interview there on 12/19/13. I hope it will be smooth... No funny weather... Really excited. :D

Naturalization

My FO is NYC I just found out. I have the interview there on 12/19/13. I hope it will be smooth... No funny weather... Really excited. :D

My was almost the same dates:
My FO is NYC
June 13/13 send my N-400
June 19/13 received
June 28/13 approve and receipt number
June 28/13 send fingerprint letter (USCIS.gov update)
July 1/13 receive fingerprint letter
July 19/13 Walk in fingerprint appointment
July 23/13 in line for schedule interview (USCIS.gov update)
Nov 8/13 schedule interview (USCIS.gov update)
Nov 12/13 received interview letter
Dec 16/13 walk in interview 26 Federal Plaza
Jan 2/14 oath ceremony place in oath scheduling que (USCIS.gov update)
Jan 6/14 oath ceremony schedule notice sent (USCIS.gov update)
Jan 9/14 Oath ceremony letter receive (Jan 17/14)

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Naturalization

I've exact the same question in my interview than you,

1. What is freedom of religion?
2. Name a state that boarders Canada
3. When was the constitution written?
4. What ages men selective service?
5. How many senators are there?
6. What is the ocean on the East Coast?

The only thing different was when she asked me to read “Whats the state has most people?"and the she dictated “California has the most people"

Im going to file this week. I've been reading stories here since last year.
I do have question about interviews on E32 and E34 visa categories. Does anyone knows if we will be interviewed at the same time or not?

Finally US Citizen!!!!!

Finally the last Friday, Jan 17th I became an American Citizen, it's was a easy, quickly and simple ceremony at 26 Federal Plaza, I was request to be there at 11:00 am, when arrive to the place a big line inside was waiting for me but was fast, them I went to the 3rd floor, make another line with my letter and GC, a few minutes later I was lil interview about the questions on the letter and give my GC to the officer, them somebody show me my seat, almost full with like 150 people from 57 diferent countries. The ceremony start with the National Anthem and after 30 minutes approximately I'd my certificate in hands. Thanks America for this amazing opportunity.

My FO is NYC
June 13/13 send my N-400
June 19/13 received
June 28/13 approve and receipt number
June 28/13 send fingerprint letter (USCIS.gov update)
July 1/13 receive fingerprint letter
July 19/13 Walk in fingerprint appointment
July 23/13 in line for schedule interview (USCIS.gov update)
Nov 8/13 schedule interview (USCIS.gov update)
Nov 12/13 received interview letter
Dec 16/13 walk in interview 26 Federal Plaza
Jan 2/14 oath ceremony place in oath scheduling que (USCIS.gov update)
Jan 6/14 oath ceremony schedule notice sent (USCIS.gov update)
Jan 9/14 Oath ceremony letter receive (Jan 17/14)
Jan 17/14 Oath Ceremony
Jan 28/14 Applied for Passport
Feb 21/14 I got my Passport (without expedite service in 3 weeks)

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by a moderator: