New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

i am in the same situation too. applied december 29, fingerprints on january 31, no yellow letter, nothing yet.

So I just spoke to a 2nd level rep over the phone after 60 days from my e-request had past. The rep tells me my case was actually approved the date of my interview, Dec 1st 2010 and didn't know why I wasn't in queue for oath letter. The rep sent a referral or something and said I should expect a response in 15 days.

I am in the same situation. sent my application on January 3rd, FP on Feb 3rd, yellow letter on March 5th, still no interview letter yet

I called USCIS 3 weeks ago and the rep who took the call told me that they are now processing August 2010 applications, which is clearly not the case as some people who applied in 2011 have gotten their interview letters. For the people who have talked to a 2nd level rep - do you just ask for a 2nd level rep when the regular rep takes your call?

After the first rep is pretty much done talking to you or if they ask you if you want them to submit a request; you just tell them to transfer you to a 2nd level rep.

Since you had your FP done on march, I would wait few more months. Each case is different.

I called USCIS 3 weeks ago and the rep who took the call told me that they are now processing August 2010 applications, which is clearly not the case as some people who applied in 2011 have gotten their interview letters. For the people who have talked to a 2nd level rep - do you just ask for a 2nd level rep when the regular rep takes your call?
Well you just say you have a problem with your case and you want to talk to 2nd tier rep, they normally would transfer you with no problem. I did talk to 2nd level rep three times already and every time, they tell me, I am on the queue for an interview, it has been like this for almost 2 months now. I decided to make an info pass for next week and talk to IO in person.

I had pretty quick service from NYC but had a bit of a denial 'kink' in the process which I'd love to hear any interesting input on.

My timeline was like this:

1/10/2011 - Posted application
1/12/2011 - Delivered to USCIS
1/12/2011 - Priority date
1/14/2011 - Notice of action
1/19/2011 - Check cashed
1/19/2011 - Notice of action: Fingerprints
2/04/2011 - Fingerprints & Photographs
3/4/2011 - Yellow letter arrived
3/5/2011 - Interview notice arrived - scheduled for 4/6
4/6/2011 - ID
5/1/2011 - Denial letter received

The reason for my denial was that according to their calculations I'd not been in the country for 50% of the 5 years preceding my application. My calculations, which I have checked ad infinitum showed me as out for 897 days (in 36 trips). That's clearly close to the 50% 913 date but it is still under it and the rules are the rules. Their calculations said that I'd been out for 933 days. In my calculations, I'd taken their guidance that days spent partially in the US count as full days. Their calculations seem to have only included one of my travel days as being in the US - their number is precisely 36 days over mine - i.e. one per trip.

I phoned the customer service number to talk to a second level officer about it and he suggested making an infopass to go and talk about it as he said it sounded like a simple calculation error. I don't really want to appeal if I can avoid it as $600 is a bit steep to pay for a calculation mistake.

So be interested to know - does anyone have any case law examples for how the 'days partially spent in the US' thing can be worked out - or have experience with outcomes like this - i.e. can they revisit the decision without a formal appeal when it's a simple mistake like this? Given the officer suggested an infopass before appeal, I am hopeful - as everything else with my case was in order.

Opinions with specific examples - would be very interested to hear.

I had pretty quick service from NYC but had a bit of a denial 'kink' in the process which I'd love to hear any interesting input on.

My timeline was like this:

1/10/2011 - Posted application
1/12/2011 - Delivered to USCIS
1/12/2011 - Priority date
1/14/2011 - Notice of action
1/19/2011 - Check cashed
1/19/2011 - Notice of action: Fingerprints
2/04/2011 - Fingerprints & Photographs
3/4/2011 - Yellow letter arrived
3/5/2011 - Interview notice arrived - scheduled for 4/6
4/6/2011 - ID
5/1/2011 - Denial letter received

The reason for my denial was that according to their calculations I'd not been in the country for 50% of the 5 years preceding my application. My calculations, which I have checked ad infinitum showed me as out for 897 days (in 36 trips). That's clearly close to the 50% 913 date but it is still under it and the rules are the rules. Their calculations said that I'd been out for 933 days. In my calculations, I'd taken their guidance that days spent partially in the US count as full days. Their calculations seem to have only included one of my travel days as being in the US - their number is precisely 36 days over mine - i.e. one per trip.

I phoned the customer service number to talk to a second level officer about it and he suggested making an infopass to go and talk about it as he said it sounded like a simple calculation error. I don't really want to appeal if I can avoid it as $600 is a bit steep to pay for a calculation mistake.

So be interested to know - does anyone have any case law examples for how the 'days partially spent in the US' thing can be worked out - or have experience with outcomes like this - i.e. can they revisit the decision without a formal appeal when it's a simple mistake like this? Given the officer suggested an infopass before appeal, I am hopeful - as everything else with my case was in order.

Opinions with specific examples - would be very interested to hear.

sorry to hear that.
The real argument is if you are intentionally break the continouos residency in US. I have seen some posts on the forum regarding that problem, i think it is better to contact a lawyer and get professoinal suggestions. As you said, rule is rule.

i am in the same situation too. applied december 29, fingerprints on january 31, no yellow letter, nothing yet.

more than 3 months and still no IL? Maybe u are stuck with name check? taking this long doesn't sound normal.
can you call FBI for name check status?

that is what second lev rep said. still stuck on name check. how do i contact fbi? is there a number to call?

Interview Experience Today at Holtsville

I had my interview scheduled today for 01:45PM at Holtsville, Long Island. Arrived at 1:00pm and was called in at 2:45pm.

I was sworn in by a nice lady in her mid 40's. I was given the civic & history questions. The history & civic questions were: When was the declaration of independence written, Name of of the two longest rivers, Who is the current Speaker of the House, How many years do we elect the president for, What are the first 10 amendments of the constitution called, Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived. Piece of cake! Answered the first 6 correct then moved on to the next 3 reading and writing questions. Answered the first reading and the first writing correct and I guess she was convinced and did not ask me the other 2.

She went through every single question the application, corrected my Resident since date (was off by 10 years, lol), asked every single question on the N-400. Convinced me to change my name, which I decided to do, took my selective service print out. Asked me if had any trips since my application and I said two and I told her I had updated pages. She gladly took them. She complimented me on how organized I was and how she wished everyone was like this (thanks to the sticky thread about Documents Needed). She said everything was OK and told me to get ready for a series of autographs (signatures). She made me sign name change, photographs, and another paper I forgot what it was for.

She then explained to me I was approved and printed out a sheet. She said that they were scheduling Oaths for the first week of June and I would get the Oath letter in the mail.

I asked her what was the current status of my application, if I was approved, and I anyone besides her had to approve my application and if I could wait for the Oath letter at the office.

She said that I was approved and no one else besides her had to approve it. She added that it was going be turned over to clerical for Oath scheduling and I would receive the letter in the mail shortly. Regarding waiting for the oath letter, she said no because my interview was in scheduled in the afternoon close to office closing time and they were backed up so she could not give me the option to wait today (but they normally do).

Based on all that she said to me I feel confident that I will be done with USCIS soon, but reading experiences here warns me to keep my reality check mode ON until I have the Oath Letter in hand.

My suggestion to everyone, is even if your interview is in the afternoon, show up early to maximize your changes to get the oath letter on the same day.

CONVINCED YOU TO CHANGE YOUR NAME? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How dare she do that!

If she just nudged you when you were thinking about the name change but weren't sure, MAYBE that would be ok. But if she suggested you change your name when you didn't ever think about it, then that is unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
CONVINCED YOU TO CHANGE YOUR NAME? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? How dare she do that!

If she just nudged you when you were thinking about the name change but weren't sure, MAYBE that would be ok. But if she suggested you change your name when you didn't ever think about it, then that is unacceptable.

No, not at all. She wasn't intrusive. She noticed i had my full birth name on my native country's passport but on my drivers license, SS card and Green Card it had been truncated. She asked if I wanted to change and I asked her what she thought. She said to her it didn't make any different and the process would still be the same. She also said that if I decided to change later. I would cost me court fees, etc.

Name change was not that important to me but just to have all my American documents consistent, I decided to change and eliminate part of my name. When I said she convinced me, i meant her arguments towards changing then was favorable. She did not decide it for me.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
jdawg, what is your timeline? But seems you are done, so good luck.

01 12/31/2010 N-400 Sent
05 01/04/2011 RD & PD
06 01/05/2011 ND
13 01/12/2011 FP ND
15 01/14/2011 FP Notice Received (Appt 2/7/2011)
25 01/24/2011 FP Done (Walk-In)
54 02/22/2011 YL ND
89 03/30/2011 Online Status - Case Transfered to Local Office (No E-Mail or Txt)
90 03/31/2011 IL Received (dated 3/29/2011)
124 05/04/2011 ID (Holtsville, NY) - Approved
XXX XX/XX/2011 OL Rec'd
XXX XX/XX/2011 OD

When you say Online Status -case transfered to local office : is there a website where you can check the status? Can you share the link?