New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

two weeks have passed since my interview and no oath letter yet!!!! I know I will get it soon, but man, it's hard to be patient!!!! I would truly love be be sworn in as a US citizen in 2010 but I guess that's not happening!!!!! :)

two weeks have passed since my interview and no oath letter yet!!!! I know I will get it soon, but man, it's hard to be patient!!!! I would truly love be be sworn in as a US citizen in 2010 but I guess that's not happening!!!!! :)

Yes, I was going to post the same thing, I give it about 3 or 4 week according others NYC peoples experience. let's wait and see.

Here’s the story of my application experience. I probably should have posted something a month ago to tell you all about my interview, but I was too depressed to do it—now, it seems like things are going ok once again.

I had my interview in early November at Federal Plaza. My citizenship case is based on the 5-year rule. My appointment was for 9:00am, but I got there a full 30 minutes before that, to make sure. When I arrived, there were probably already 80 applicants waiting before me. I promptly gave my interview notice, and was told to wait in the waiting area. While there, I observed a quick turn over. There were two doors—one in the front and one behind the waiting area—and the immigration officers would come out to call someone in. This happened maybe at a frequency of 1 a minute (or faster). I thought I’d be called within the hour, for sure. So I waited, and waited, and waited some more, and at 10am, I felt like I had to use the bathroom. The bathrooms are all outside the waiting area, in the hallway, so I was worried that they might call my name while I was in the bathroom and wouldn’t hear. I asked the security guard about this, and she said that they call your name a few times (which I actually observed), and give you a couple of minutes to come forward, so if I make it a quick visit, I shouldn’t miss anything. So I rushed to the bathroom, did my stuff, and came back within maybe 80 seconds. I was sure I didn’t miss my name being called, so I sat down, and waited, waited, and waited some more. At 10:30am, I start to doubt myself—what if they actually called my name, I didn’t come forward, and they put my file in the bottom of the pile? Would I have to wait till everyone else got interviewed? So I went up to the counter where you surrender your interview letter, and asked if that was a possibility. The kind lady asked me what time my appointment was for, and I told her 9:00am, and she said not to worry—2 hours for a wait is quite normal, so I’m still within the normal range.

So I sat back down, and waited, and no sooner than about 5 minutes my name was called. The immigration officer, a nice black lady, a bit on the young side, led me through the maze of offices and desks, and finally, after maybe half a minute of walking, we reach her office. She started the interview with the swearing in (to tell the truth, etc.), and once I sat down, she quickly proceeded to the test part: I read “What is the capital of the United States?” and she asked me to write down “Washington is the capital of the United States.” We then went through the 6 civics questions, most of which I now forget. She asked me why the pilgrims came to the United States, who is the chief executive of the government, and who replaces the President if he/she is unable to serve. The other three questions, I don’t honestly remember. She wrote down all my answers in her question sheet, and put a check mark beside them. It seems the questions have all been generated (randomly?) beforehand because I saw them printed neatly in her question sheet.

So now, the N-400 application review. She went through each and every answer I gave, and like a good bureaucrat, didn’t really make any connection between my answers and the human being giving the answers. She wasn’t rude in any way, it’s just that it would have been nice if she actually saw a human story in my application. But of course, that’s not the point, and besides, she looked like she was still “in training”, since she was quite thorough in her examination, and if I clarified a point, she made sure to write down my clarification. I don’t remember now what items I gave clarification to, but every time I said something other than a YES or NO, she wrote down what I said. We also spent quite a bit of time sorting out my dozen or so short trips outside the US—she actually went through my old passport to look for the entry stamps for each trip I made. I helped her figure out a couple of them, but that took a few minutes just the same. I was surprised at really how thorough she was combing through the dates of my trips, since the total number of days in 5 years was probably about 80 days or so.

Finally, we come to the traffic tickets. I had indicated in my application that I had two citations for minor traffic violations. She asked for the originals of the final dispositions of both, and then looked at them for authenticity—in particular, the signatures and the stamps of the county clerk. After spending time reading them, she stapled them onto the file, and placed a sticky tab on the side. She then went through the yes/no questions in N-400, the ones about if I’ve been a member of the Nazi party etc etc, if I’ve persecuted anyone etc etc, if I engaged in prostitution, etc etc..

She then had me sign my passport pictures (the ones that I sent with my original n-400 application, no need to provide new ones) as well as one sheet that verified my information and which indicated my native country as my “former” country of citizenship. This got me all excited, since it seemed like I was about to be told the great good news. But no …

She handed me another sheet, saying I passed the tests, but that she couldn’t render a decision because of the traffic violations, and that a superior had to look over my case to make a decision. My heart sank as I stood up and thanked her. She told me to wait three weeks for the decision, repeating “nothing to worry about, it all looks good” to me. She then led me to the door, and I walked out of Federal Plaza a sad, sad soul.

Whatever, I said—if they needed three more weeks to do bureaucratic hocus pocus on my truly minor traffic violations (paid fines of $140 and $35), then so be it. I can wait. I’m not rushing to get a US passport, I’m alright, things are all good. But then, as I went back to this forum and started reading about the horror stories of how some cases just mysteriously get delayed after the interview, I start to panic.

Every single day, I checked the USCIS website (a few times) for any status changes in my case. Every single day, I scan this forum for similar experiences, and also for stories about what to do if I hear nothing from them for months. Two weeks have passed, then three, then four, and finally I get really anxious. My officer said 3 weeks, but surely she didn’t really have an accurate gauge as to how efficient the bureaucratic machine has been working these days, but 5 weeks is probably the right time to do some action. I called the hotline a couple of times (on week 4 and week 5), and they told me nothing new, and that because my case is still within the normal processing times for NYC, then there’s no reason to do any other action except to wait.

But who wants to wait for this—especially if it’s really just a matter of having a superior sign off on the official dispositions of my two minor traffic violations? And then, I start to read about how even those at Federal Plaza who have been “recommended for approval” now have to wait for their oath letters as well, instead of getting it the same day. I told myself to not expect anything till the new year.

A lawyer friend who dabbles in immigration told me to call my congressman, to see if they can help me figure out what’s delaying my case. At first, I thought that it’s such a silly suggestion, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. The USCIS is at the mercy of Congress for many things, and they’re probably interested in making sure Congress is happy. On the other side, my congressman is probably really interested to help a would-be citizen, because chances are, I’d vote for the guy once I become a legal voter. Sure enough, when I called the congressional office of my congressman, they had someone assigned specifically to handle immigration cases. The person told me that they’d contact their guy at the USCIS to ask specifically about my case. I was impressed that it seemed like a very straightforward process, and that it could potentially work.

Which it did. A few days later, the same person called me back, and gave me the good news. That my application has been approved, and that I’m scheduled for an oath taking in two weeks. I was literally jumping up and down in joy, thankful that there’s another way to get the USCIS to do things better (but a bit troubled that they actually needed pressure from my congressman’s office to push my application forward). Mere days later, I receive the oath letter, confirming what I was told by my congressman’s aide.

So there you go, my own little citizenship application story. I’ll report about the oath taking ceremony when it happens next week. Meanwhile, I’m still checking my “status” on the USCIS website, and it still says that I’m in the “Testing and Interview” phase. What a useless tool!

Good luck to everyone undertaking in this great journey. We all came from far lands, and somehow we made it to these shores. I always tear up when I read Emma Lazarus’s sonnet, inscribed on a plaque by the Statue of Liberty. I offer these words as a hymn to the promise of hope and happiness that still holds true in our United States of America.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations tampaboy. You are an American Citizen now. Something we and millions of others have dreamed about.

Congratulations Tampaboy.... We'll give it another week and follow your path next year.
My sibling's Interview was on 12/8. Passed Civic & English. Officer didn't like long stays outside of the US. But there've been no absences more than 5 months in prior 5 years, and cumulative days in US on day of filing were over 930 (913-the breaker). Officer took copies of all stamps in passports and gave the standard form where marked "Decision will be mailed". We went for an infopass yesterday, and the service person, on assignment from Naturalization floor, knew the interviewing officer, called her, she said she needs to review. The Service representative, very very nice, told that they've been swamped lately, doing about 400 interviews a day, about 15-16 per officer per day... But hope, is that they don't interview this week..... Keep our fingers crossed.... Thank you to this great forum - learnt so much from it....
and wishing everyone just approvals and timely invitations for next week and years to come.......

Had my oath ceremony today at 9:30 am I left the court house at 11:30am. I went to the Social Security office to update my record. I also applied for a U.S. passport. Next on the list is register to vote and sponsor a family member. :D

Here’s the story of my application experience. I probably should have posted something a month ago to tell you all about my interview, but I was too depressed to do it—now, it seems like things are going ok once again.

I had my interview in early November at Federal Plaza. My citizenship case is based on the 5-year rule. My appointment was for 9:00am, but I got there a full 30 minutes before that, to make sure. When I arrived, there were probably already 80 applicants waiting before me. I promptly gave my interview notice, and was told to wait in the waiting area. While there, I observed a quick turn over. There were two doors—one in the front and one behind the waiting area—and the immigration officers would come out to call someone in. This happened maybe at a frequency of 1 a minute (or faster). I thought I’d be called within the hour, for sure. So I waited, and waited, and waited some more, and at 10am, I felt like I had to use the bathroom. The bathrooms are all outside the waiting area, in the hallway, so I was worried that they might call my name while I was in the bathroom and wouldn’t hear. I asked the security guard about this, and she said that they call your name a few times (which I actually observed), and give you a couple of minutes to come forward, so if I make it a quick visit, I shouldn’t miss anything. So I rushed to the bathroom, did my stuff, and came back within maybe 80 seconds. I was sure I didn’t miss my name being called, so I sat down, and waited, waited, and waited some more. At 10:30am, I start to doubt myself—what if they actually called my name, I didn’t come forward, and they put my file in the bottom of the pile? Would I have to wait till everyone else got interviewed? So I went up to the counter where you surrender your interview letter, and asked if that was a possibility. The kind lady asked me what time my appointment was for, and I told her 9:00am, and she said not to worry—2 hours for a wait is quite normal, so I’m still within the normal range.

So I sat back down, and waited, and no sooner than about 5 minutes my name was called. The immigration officer, a nice black lady, a bit on the young side, led me through the maze of offices and desks, and finally, after maybe half a minute of walking, we reach her office. She started the interview with the swearing in (to tell the truth, etc.), and once I sat down, she quickly proceeded to the test part: I read “What is the capital of the United States?” and she asked me to write down “Washington is the capital of the United States.” We then went through the 6 civics questions, most of which I now forget. She asked me why the pilgrims came to the United States, who is the chief executive of the government, and who replaces the President if he/she is unable to serve. The other three questions, I don’t honestly remember. She wrote down all my answers in her question sheet, and put a check mark beside them. It seems the questions have all been generated (randomly?) beforehand because I saw them printed neatly in her question sheet.

So now, the N-400 application review. She went through each and every answer I gave, and like a good bureaucrat, didn’t really make any connection between my answers and the human being giving the answers. She wasn’t rude in any way, it’s just that it would have been nice if she actually saw a human story in my application. But of course, that’s not the point, and besides, she looked like she was still “in training”, since she was quite thorough in her examination, and if I clarified a point, she made sure to write down my clarification. I don’t remember now what items I gave clarification to, but every time I said something other than a YES or NO, she wrote down what I said. We also spent quite a bit of time sorting out my dozen or so short trips outside the US—she actually went through my old passport to look for the entry stamps for each trip I made. I helped her figure out a couple of them, but that took a few minutes just the same. I was surprised at really how thorough she was combing through the dates of my trips, since the total number of days in 5 years was probably about 80 days or so.

Finally, we come to the traffic tickets. I had indicated in my application that I had two citations for minor traffic violations. She asked for the originals of the final dispositions of both, and then looked at them for authenticity—in particular, the signatures and the stamps of the county clerk. After spending time reading them, she stapled them onto the file, and placed a sticky tab on the side. She then went through the yes/no questions in N-400, the ones about if I’ve been a member of the Nazi party etc etc, if I’ve persecuted anyone etc etc, if I engaged in prostitution, etc etc..

She then had me sign my passport pictures (the ones that I sent with my original n-400 application, no need to provide new ones) as well as one sheet that verified my information and which indicated my native country as my “former” country of citizenship. This got me all excited, since it seemed like I was about to be told the great good news. But no …

She handed me another sheet, saying I passed the tests, but that she couldn’t render a decision because of the traffic violations, and that a superior had to look over my case to make a decision. My heart sank as I stood up and thanked her. She told me to wait three weeks for the decision, repeating “nothing to worry about, it all looks good” to me. She then led me to the door, and I walked out of Federal Plaza a sad, sad soul.

Whatever, I said—if they needed three more weeks to do bureaucratic hocus pocus on my truly minor traffic violations (paid fines of $140 and $35), then so be it. I can wait. I’m not rushing to get a US passport, I’m alright, things are all good. But then, as I went back to this forum and started reading about the horror stories of how some cases just mysteriously get delayed after the interview, I start to panic.

Every single day, I checked the USCIS website (a few times) for any status changes in my case. Every single day, I scan this forum for similar experiences, and also for stories about what to do if I hear nothing from them for months. Two weeks have passed, then three, then four, and finally I get really anxious. My officer said 3 weeks, but surely she didn’t really have an accurate gauge as to how efficient the bureaucratic machine has been working these days, but 5 weeks is probably the right time to do some action. I called the hotline a couple of times (on week 4 and week 5), and they told me nothing new, and that because my case is still within the normal processing times for NYC, then there’s no reason to do any other action except to wait.

But who wants to wait for this—especially if it’s really just a matter of having a superior sign off on the official dispositions of my two minor traffic violations? And then, I start to read about how even those at Federal Plaza who have been “recommended for approval” now have to wait for their oath letters as well, instead of getting it the same day. I told myself to not expect anything till the new year.

A lawyer friend who dabbles in immigration told me to call my congressman, to see if they can help me figure out what’s delaying my case. At first, I thought that it’s such a silly suggestion, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. The USCIS is at the mercy of Congress for many things, and they’re probably interested in making sure Congress is happy. On the other side, my congressman is probably really interested to help a would-be citizen, because chances are, I’d vote for the guy once I become a legal voter. Sure enough, when I called the congressional office of my congressman, they had someone assigned specifically to handle immigration cases. The person told me that they’d contact their guy at the USCIS to ask specifically about my case. I was impressed that it seemed like a very straightforward process, and that it could potentially work.

Which it did. A few days later, the same person called me back, and gave me the good news. That my application has been approved, and that I’m scheduled for an oath taking in two weeks. I was literally jumping up and down in joy, thankful that there’s another way to get the USCIS to do things better (but a bit troubled that they actually needed pressure from my congressman’s office to push my application forward). Mere days later, I receive the oath letter, confirming what I was told by my congressman’s aide.

So there you go, my own little citizenship application story. I’ll report about the oath taking ceremony when it happens next week. Meanwhile, I’m still checking my “status” on the USCIS website, and it still says that I’m in the “Testing and Interview” phase. What a useless tool!

Good luck to everyone undertaking in this great journey. We all came from far lands, and somehow we made it to these shores. I always tear up when I read Emma Lazarus’s sonnet, inscribed on a plaque by the Statue of Liberty. I offer these words as a hymn to the promise of hope and happiness that still holds true in our United States of America.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Hi Tampaboy: First - Congratulations!!!
Second: Can you please tell me who is your Congressman? I live in the 7th District. If you have the same congressman, would you be able to share with me the name and phone number of the person who helped you at your congressman's office? I will wait until after the holidays, which will be about 6 weeks since my interview, and if I don't receive my oath letter, I will try contacting my congressman office. The reason I asked for the phone number is because after reading your post, I checked the website of my congressman (Joseph Crowley) but I did not see a contact number for specific issues. thank you.

mbetona-- My congressman is someone else. I suggest you call Crowley's office, and then ask to speak to someone who can help you with your immigration case. I'm told they usually have someone who's assigned these types of queries.

It's a good idea for you to contact them. My impression is that for straightforward cases like yours (and mine), an inquiry by a congressional office makes the USCIS put such cases at the top of the pile. It's a bit weird. Reminds me of my home country, where "connections" matter greatly. But I guess, in this case, there's a legitimate concern for the delay, and the congressman's office is simply registering its concern.

Good luck!

Congratulations tampaboy. You are an American Citizen now. Something we and millions of others have dreamed about.

Thanks ZeusNero. It's literally a magical thing. For instance, I'm vacationing in Europe right now (but will be back in NYC in a few days). Last time I'll be begging for a Schengen visa, thanks to the magical blue passport!

Congratulations Tampaboy.... We'll give it another week and follow your path next year.
My sibling's Interview was on 12/8. Passed Civic & English. Officer didn't like long stays outside of the US. But there've been no absences more than 5 months in prior 5 years, and cumulative days in US on day of filing were over 930 (913-the breaker). Officer took copies of all stamps in passports and gave the standard form where marked "Decision will be mailed". We went for an infopass yesterday, and the service person, on assignment from Naturalization floor, knew the interviewing officer, called her, she said she needs to review. The Service representative, very very nice, told that they've been swamped lately, doing about 400 interviews a day, about 15-16 per officer per day... But hope, is that they don't interview this week..... Keep our fingers crossed.... Thank you to this great forum - learnt so much from it....
and wishing everyone just approvals and timely invitations for next week and years to come.......

Thanks USHope. It won't hurt to call on your representative, or senator for that matter, for help. In my case, even if they weren't able to "push" my case to the head of the line, I think they'd at least find out what the cause of the delay is.

Good luck on your sibling's case!

Question:

I have a couple of family members from out of town who would like to attend my oath ceremony. They're taking the train in, and so would like to know what time things actually happen. The oath letter says for me to be there by 9am, but I imagine a lot of time will be spent sorting out the documents of all the oath takers. What time should I tell them to be there by? THANKS!!

Question:

I have a couple of family members from out of town who would like to attend my oath ceremony. They're taking the train in, and so would like to know what time things actually happen. The oath letter says for me to be there by 9am, but I imagine a lot of time will be spent sorting out the documents of all the oath takers. What time should I tell them to be there by? THANKS!!
My Oath was in Brooklyn. Even though my letter said to be there at 8:30, everything started at 10:30. My relatives had to wait upstairs at first. There was a TV, and they could see everything that was going on in the room downstairs. I was told that someone will call them when everything starts. But when people came in, none of them were allowed to take any seats because it was only like 20 of them left, and those people who were taking the Oath might have stepped out to use the restroom, and they should be able to take their seat back. Since I was almost the last one to arrive, I sat right by the door and I knew for sure which seats weren't taken so I called my relatives long before the ceremony started so they could be with me. Nobody knew who they were and nobody cared. They were the only ones (as far as noticed) sitting next to me the whole time, which I was very happy about. It was also very hot, there was no air to breath, and many relatives couldn't even see the people they came to see to take their Oath. If I had to take the Oath again I would sit by the door just like I did the last time.

Any news?

Hi mbetona, hi Jesshe,

Any news regarding your oath letter? I too was interviewed at Federal Plaza and was given "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application." (I think because recently I got laid off, prompting an adjustment to the application.) My interview date was Nov 29. I still don't have the oath letter.

Thanks.

Hi mbetona, hi Jesshe,

Any news regarding your oath letter? I too was interviewed at Federal Plaza and was given "USCIS will send you a written decision about your application." (I think because recently I got laid off, prompting an adjustment to the application.) My interview date was Nov 29. I still don't have the oath letter.

Thanks.

Hi nyc_ues, I'm still waiting. I actually made an infopass appt for January 11, which was the earliest date I could get. I'm starting to get annoyed. :(

I called the 800 number and spoke with the next level representative and she told me my application was approved on the same day, and that my name is on waiting list for the oath letter.

Hi nyc_ues, I'm still waiting. I actually made an infopass appt for January 11, which was the earliest date I could get. I'm starting to get annoyed. :(

I called the 800 number and spoke with the next level representative and she told me my application was approved on the same day, and that my name is on waiting list for the oath letter.

Thanks mbetona.
I called the 800 customer service number and the rep told me she it hasn't been 90 days since the interview, so she won't be able to help. She suggested I go to infopass. So much for trying...

Maybe your case is a good candidate for your congressman/senator's office to work on. I think at the very least, the congressional offices can push you up on the waiting list for the oath date.

Good luck!

Thanks Olia for your response regarding my query on timing. It seems that things get started a full 2 hours after you're asked to report.

My oath location is at the US District Court Southern District on 500 Pearl Street. I found this website:

http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/naturalization.php

which says "The ceremony begins approximately at 11:00 a.m. and others are invited into the courtroom to witness the petitioners swear the Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America." For those who actually took their oath at the same location, is this pretty accurate?

Thanks.