New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Are you having Oath in Islip? Can you please share your experience?

Finally, I am done with this. Today I had my oath ceremony and became an US Citizen. I sent in my N-400 application on Feb 29th this year, and I received my naturalization certificate today, Dec 29th. It took me a good 10 months to get it. Enough of my thought. Let me share with all of you about my experience today.

My oath ceremony took place at Central Islip 100 Federal Plaza today. I got there around 7 eventhough my appointment was for 8:25am. I waited at the parking lot for about 30 minutes. There were around 20 people with me when I had to wait for the security guard to open up the door for us. No phones and cameras were allowed to bought in. I had to leave my phone at the security desk. I guess maybe Iphone is allowed, because no one asked me anything about my I-Pod Touch. After going through the security, I went to the second floor and into a big hall. I sat down at the front row and started to listen to my Ipod and closed my eyes. (I woke up at 5 this morning). The next time when I opened up eyes, I saw 3 INS Officiers came in and ask people to sit closer to the front. There wasn't many people in the ceremony today, I guess it was 100 more or less. One of the officiers asked us to answer all of the questions from our appointment letters and signed it. Then, we were asked to hand in our Green card along with the appointment letter to the Officiers and our Naturalization Certificates were shown to us. We had to check if all the spellings were correct on our Naturalization Certificates, and signed it. When everyone went through his/her Naturalization Certificate, it was around 10:00am. We were then give a chance to register for voting. I filled it up and handed in. We sat down and waited again. Around 10:30am, the Judge came in. It was an old lady in her 60s. She told us a story about her Russian Immigrant Parents and how they became US citizens. She then congradulated us and left. One of the officiers have us to rasie our right hands and to take the oath. After the oath, our Naturalizations were started to hand out to us one by one. I was out of the door around 11:00.
The total process only took 3.5 hours. A lot shorter than I was expected. Thank God, It is finally over for me. Tomorrow, I am going to apply for my passport. Hopefully, I can get it before I go to travel.

Good Luck people :)

Congratulations!

Thank you for taking your time to share your experience with us. I have a few additional questions:

1. How long it took you by car from Queens to Islip?
2. Were there family members allowed to the ceremony?
3. Are you saying that no one was allowed to take pictures at the ceremony?!
4. How were people dressed?

And once again congratulations!!!

1. It only took me around 45 minutes, because it was no traffic at all.
2. Yes, family members and friends are allow to the ceremony, they sat at the back.
3. Yup, no one is allowed to have camera and/or phone when we entered the building.
4. Most people are well dressed, but I did see some ladies wearing sweat pants and jeans.

It is very strange that they are not allowing photos to be taken at the ceremony!?

Photography in federal courthouses is banned. My oath was in Brooklyn and it was the same situation. All cameras and cell phones were collected at the entrance and returned after the ceremony.

When to send in N-400?

Greetings everyone,
1) I live in PA, obtained my GC mid Sept 2004, when should I send in my application?
2)Needed some help here on another topic:
We obtained our GC via CP 4 yrs ago, our employer just got a letter from NVC that our application for immigrant visa went through termination process and was destroyed in accordance with INA 203(g) - failure to apply for immigrant visa within 1 year. Is this strange? We already applied and obtained our immigrant visas 4 yrs ago by CP !!
Will this affect our citizenship application?
Do we have to re-file a new petition with USCIS?
Is this just an error/oversight that NVC assumed we were in US and did not apply, but in fact we were overseas and went through the CP process?
I will be highly grateful for further advice.

GC_Mangta

Does USCIS check your driving record on their own?

My husband had his citizenship interview today. He has had two traffic tickets in the past 5 years, he disclosed one traffic ticket on his application, but not the other (long story, but he lost the ticket, went to the dmv to try to pay it and was told there was no record of it on their system. Months later, he goes to the dmv the day before his interview to get his driving record and they said he had an outstanding ticket and he had to go to long island to pay it, which he did, at which point he found out his license had been suspended and no one had ever bothered to inform him. anyway, he paid the ticket and they told him his license would be unsuspended in the system within 5 days).

the next day he went to his interview at 26 Federal Plaza. the officer asked him if he paid the ticket he mentioned on the application, he said he had, the officer asked for proof, he said he hadn't brought any because the letter had said no add'l documentation was required. He didn't mention the ticket he'd just paid or the license having been suspended. At the end of the interview, the officer said he would have to check if the ticket had been paid and then they would mail him their decision.

My questions - does USCIS actually contact the DMV themselves to see if tickets have been paid? Why wouldn't the officer just ask him to bring in proof? And if the officer does contact the DMV and finds out his license had been temporarily suspended, is this a reason for them to deny his citizenship?

I doubt that they have access to DMV records. Sounds like the IO wanted the supervisor's approval for not having proof of payment for a parking ticket. NYC is very anal about every little detail and delays many cases because of this.

My husband had his citizenship interview today. He has had two traffic tickets in the past 5 years, he disclosed one traffic ticket on his application, but not the other (long story, but he lost the ticket, went to the dmv to try to pay it and was told there was no record of it on their system. Months later, he goes to the dmv the day before his interview to get his driving record and they said he had an outstanding ticket and he had to go to long island to pay it, which he did, at which point he found out his license had been suspended and no one had ever bothered to inform him. anyway, he paid the ticket and they told him his license would be unsuspended in the system within 5 days).

the next day he went to his interview at 26 Federal Plaza. the officer asked him if he paid the ticket he mentioned on the application, he said he had, the officer asked for proof, he said he hadn't brought any because the letter had said no add'l documentation was required. He didn't mention the ticket he'd just paid or the license having been suspended. At the end of the interview, the officer said he would have to check if the ticket had been paid and then they would mail him their decision.

My questions - does USCIS actually contact the DMV themselves to see if tickets have been paid? Why wouldn't the officer just ask him to bring in proof? And if the officer does contact the DMV and finds out his license had been temporarily suspended, is this a reason for them to deny his citizenship?

No reason to deny citizenship for a ticket. Make sure to keep proof of having taken care of it in a safe place.

They might have access to DMV records, if they wanted to. But it's already paid, so no need to worry.

Maybe the officer was a junior officer. He needs supv approval.

Does USCIS check your driving record on their own?

I doubt that they have access to DMV records. Sounds like the IO wanted the supervisor's approval for not having proof of payment for a parking ticket. NYC is very anal about every little detail and delays many cases because of this.

The IO took a photocopy of his drivers license at the end, though, which seems a strange thing to do if you're not actually going to check with the DMV?

The IO took a photocopy of his drivers license at the end, though, which seems a strange thing to do if you're not actually going to check with the DMV?

If they took a photocopy, YES, they will check, if they don't forget or the machine is down, or the records guy is not out on vacation... etc... therefore delaying the process for a parking ticket.-

DMV Record

I received one seat belt ticket 4 years ago. I paid online and do not know the date and so do not have any proof that i paid. I find out about driving record from DMV website, which they can provide with 10$ fee.

I ordered my driving record from DMV website and already got it. But record only says about my personal information like, name, address, b'date, driving license number, expiration date etc. Records does not say anything about seat belt ticket. Is there any other type of driving records i need to get it? I did not mention about this ticket on Form 400 when i filed for citizen. Do i need to tell this on time of interview?

Thank for help!

It's been said at least thousand of times over this board that interview appointment letter is just a generic letter; and that the assigned officer doesn't even get to touch/review the file until the day of the interview or a day before the interview to know applicant's specific situaiton. So, relying completely on the interview notice as to what to bring to the interview is not wise at all and would cause delay and denial as such the case in hand. I think millions of times it's been said on this board that if someone discloses a traffic ticket then s/he must be ready to present the proof to the officer to prove whether or not traffic ticket is paid off because adjudication officers do ask to see the prove in 98% of the time whenever someone reports a traffic ticket. Thus, whose fault is it not to be fully prepared for the interview? Whose fault is when one goes to interview having relied solely on interview notice as to what to bring to the interview? Btw, interview letter does state that applicants should bring all the documents applicable to them, in addition to what are main documents to bring. I do remember reading such a line somewhere on interview notices....

Now, two things could happen in this case. First, either officer would send RFE/ N-14 for additional document which would be the proof to prove that traffic ticket is paid off. Second, officer will try to get approved the case in the absense of this proof with supversory approval. But I can definately tell you one thing for sure that officer wouldn't investigate/question the other ticket which OP's husband didn't disclose especially when it was paid off by the time of interview. Yes, that ticket should have been disclosed but it's too late, and I don't think USCIS will know about it nor it would matter even if they would know. Btw, there is nothing strange for officer to have taken the copy of OP's husband's DL. Many officers take copies of everything, with or without any issue. Govt. can have access to many records, if they would like to...for example, they can get to anyone's DMV record, IRS record and even court record for cases which are sealed...but of course on motions. However, it won't happen in this case. Thus, just relax and wait to hear from USCIS as it's too early to cast a shadow on here...Just don't forget that it could take a very long time to have a supervisory approval in NYC as many people are still waiting for their case to be approved by supervisor for months despite of being interviewed....

Good luck....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
I had my interview yesterday at federal Plaza. Good thing I double checked the location coz I had thought it would be garden city :). The interview was sheduled for 12: 05. I got there at 11 and had to wait until 11:30 to get in.
The room was packed. my name wasn't called until 3:30 PM. the interview itself went fine. she checked my application, gave me the civic test, and made me read and write some simple sentences. that was it. she then made me sign and told me it was too late to be sworn in today but I would get a notice in the mail.
that was all folks !
I had not mentioned my ticket and she did not care. she did ask if I had been arrested before. I repeated " ARRESTED" she said " ARRESTED or jailed" I said no mam. she said " good"
hope this helps

Just received my US passport today. At last, I am truly done with USCIS.

Congratulations once again! It must feel nice having passport in hands at the end of journey.

I forgot to ask you – did you fill out and signed your notice letter before you came to oath ceremony or it was done in front of officer? Someone mentioned that she/he filled and signed in front of officer – and I thought that it should be brought completed already.

Additional documentation requested (Form N-14) after interview

I had my interview yesterday, Jan 7, 2009. I reached the federal plaza about 30 mins before the interview, went through the security and by about 9AM I was in the waiting room. My interview time was 9:10AM and I got called around 9:35AM.

The officer, along with all other personnel, were extremely professional and courteous throughout my time there. Anyhow, the interview began with a lot of silence in the room. The IO started looking at the documents on file which took about 5 mins. He then asked me questions from the citizenship test. I answered the first 6 correctly, so he didn't ask any more. He then went through my whole application and line by line he verified whether all information was correct. That took about 15 mins. The only document, out of the ones mentioned in the interview letter, that the IO asked for, was the original marriage certificate.

At the end, he said, since you are applying based off of marriage to a citizen, there is some additional documents you will need to submit, and that if you don't have them right now, then you will have to come back. At that time, I was a little shocked as I thought everything went smoothly. He gave me a printout of a document called N-14. On that document, he manually check marked the following items:

- bank statements showing joint bank account
- cancelled checks showing joint bank account
- credit card statements
- utility bills
- insurance policy indicating spouse as beneficiary
- health insurance policy showing coverage of spouse
- lease agreement, mortage, or deed showing joint ownership

The N-14 document also had instructions saying I need to bring documents for THREE (3) categories above. Additionally, the document also says that if all documents are not in both you and your spouse' name bring some in yours and some in your spouse name.

The IO then wrote on the document that I needed to bring these documents for the past 3 years (2006, 2007 and 2008). He also indicated that I bring 2 documents for each year for each category that I pick.

I told the IO that if these documents were indicated in the interview letter I would have brought them today, to which he replied "we keep asking them to update the letter, but they keep sending the generic one"

Anyhow, the IO gave me an interview date after 30 days and the interview was over.

I then checked on the forums and found out that IOs are now requiring this kind of proof also for marriage based applications. I only wish I had read this in the forum before going to the interview.

So, just for those who are in the same boat as I am, it is better to take as much documentation proving that you are living a happily married life. I even plan to take my wife and kids with me on my next interview.

Hope this helps for others who have upcoming interviews.

My N400 was sent at the end of July. I currently live in Brooklyn, and I've had my permanent residence since August 2002. Here are all the important dates:

Application Sent: 7/28/2008
VT Received: 7/30/2008
FP: 8/22/2008

Since 8/22/2008, I never received any letter regarding either documents needed or interview date set up. I called the customer service once, but all they could tell me is they have received the application on 7/28/2008. Is there anyone having the same issue? For those of you have already gone through the process, how long have you waited? And when should I start be nervous and try to call them again?

Thank you all for your help in advance. :)

Look at my signature and how long it took for my name check to be completed, it was about 7 months and then 2 more for interview. The New York DO, which is administratively attached to the Vermont Service Center (VSC) N-400 processing is taking an average of a year, after the 2.4 million applications received in July 2007.

NYC N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

hello everyone thanks for the support and answers. i had my interview in september 2008 and they told me they wil mail me a decision but i have not heard from them for the past weeks and weeks.. it will be 120 soon and i call daily to see if there is any update in my decision. I called today and the IO told me on the phone u have been approved and are in queue for oath. i cant believe i got it. i was really worried about my 2 long trips but i got it im approved.. this forum seriously helps with posted peoples experiences..questions and answers, opinions everything . and THANKS EVERYONE !!! I just hope i get my oath and do the oath so im DONE with the uscis.

Congratulations once again! It must feel nice having passport in hands at the end of journey.

I forgot to ask you – did you fill out and signed your notice letter before you came to oath ceremony or it was done in front of officer? Someone mentioned that she/he filled and signed in front of officer – and I thought that it should be brought completed already.

It did not make any difference for me. I answered the questions before the oath and singed the paper at the ceremony. The officer only asked us not to forget to fill the paper before handed it in.

had my interview at 26 federal plaza on jan 6th. was very straighforward- i was out in less than 20 minutes. they have a policy now to give oath letters the same day so i got mine after half an hour after the interview. my case was an employment based but the officer who interviewed me did not ask anything about my sponsoring company and why i left them- as i said the interview was straightforward. i applied on may 12, 2008 and the oath is on jan 30, 2009. so the entire process took 8 and a half months.

-----------------
RD 5/13/08
FP 6/12/08
IL 10/21/08
ID 1/6/09
OD 1/30/09
american after that!

had my interview at 26 federal plaza on jan 6th. was very straighforward- i was out in less than 20 minutes. they have a policy now to give oath letters the same day so i got mine after half an hour after the interview. my case was an employment based but the officer who interviewed me did not ask anything about my sponsoring company and why i left them- as i said the interview was straightforward. i applied on may 12, 2008 and the oath is on jan 30, 2009. so the entire process took 8 and a half months.

-----------------
RD 5/13/08
FP 6/12/08
IL 10/21/08
ID 1/6/09
OD 1/30/09
american after that!

Congratulations, N400JustStarted.

Can you elaborate on the interview? When you say it was employment based, what do you mean? Employment with the US Govt ??? Because otherwise it would not matter who you work for, when it relates to N-400 applications since only for the Green Card, the interview might bring about questions about employment ??? I have never heard a company sponsoring for N - 400 naturalization cases unless it is the US Govt???

And also, this is the first case this year where New York Federal Plaza DO gives an interview in a half an hour, and later an oath with a span of 15 days. We have been watching all the applicants from Manhattan and you are a very lucky fellow to come out with an Oath Letter from that place.

And what about your test and questions on your application? It must have been a very senior officer to get it done in 20 minutes ?

We appreciate your responses. :cool::cool::cool:

Why is it so quiet in NY district office? Why people are put on hold for so long after their interview in the name of 'supervisory approval/review" and then again too long wait for oath letter and then for the oath date? Why don't people write to District Director about this mess when it's happening too often and too long waiting especially in Garden City office? This mess should be stopped as it's bs.