New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Try to get as many proof as you can and Don't rely on just the bank statements. Remember in the 2nd interview there is good possiblity that another IO might conduct the interview.(It was my case) and he may ask something else.
Hi,
In my N-14 letter, the officer that interviewed me put his name and told me that he will see me again. Is that the same in your case?

Here are the items with the marks X in my N-14 letter
(X) Bank letter or statement showing joint bank account for years 2008-2006
(X) Bank letter or canceled checks showing joint bank account for the past 3 years
(X) Credit card statements for the past 3 years.

Are the first 2 the same? What items do they ask you in your N-14?

Hi,
In my N-14 letter, the officer that interviewed me put his name and told me that he will see me again. Is that the same in your case?

Here are the items with the marks X in my N-14 letter
(X) Bank letter or statement showing joint bank account for years 2008-2006
(X) Bank letter or canceled checks showing joint bank account for the past 3 years
(X) Credit card statements for the past 3 years.

Are the first 2 the same? What items do they ask you in your N-14?

Yes That right. I was given N-14. The Officer that interviewed me the first time did put her name. (She was a middle aged black lady) but I was interviewed by a different IO. I was told to bring Bills, health insurance etc. I brought the following to my next interview.

1- Affidavit from my cousin ( Owner of the house) regarding the sublet of the apartment and all the utility bills in his name. ( I am subleting the apartment form cousin and have no bills under my name)
2- Letter from health insurance showing coverage for the last three years for both of us (Me and my wife)
3- Prescription insurance (different from the health) showing coverage for both of us for the last 3 years.
4- Joint bank statements and letter from the bank for the last eight years.
5- Vehicle policy showing coverage for both of us for the last 4 years.
6- A letter from My retirement plan showing her as a primary beneficiary for the last 3 years.
7- Few letter in the past three years address to both of us such as from Irs etc
8- Joint credit card statement and letter from Credit card company.

That did the job . Make sure you get as many proof as you can

GOOD LUCK
-------------------------
VSC/NYC DO

11/19/2007 N-400 Applied
1/23/2008 Finger print
3/23/2008 Name check cleared
9/24/2008 Interview (Request more evidence)
11/17/2008 2nd Interview (Approved). (Garden City)
11/26/2008 Oath letter Recieved
12/11/2008 Oath Scheduled date

1- Affidavit from my cousin ( Owner of the house) regarding the sublet of the apartment and all the utility bills in his name. ( I am subleting the apartment form cousin and have no bills under my name)
2- Letter from health insurance showing coverage for the last three years for both of us (Me and my wife)
3- Prescription insurance (different from the health) showing coverage for both of us for the last 3 years.
4- Joint bank statements and letter from the bank for the last eight years.
5- Vehicle policy showing coverage for both of us for the last 4 years.
6- A letter from My retirement plan showing her as a primary beneficiary for the last 3 years.
7- Few letter in the past three years address to both of us such as from Irs etc
8- Joint credit card statement and letter from Credit card company.

Those documents seem not that hard to compile for a married couple who have spent lives together.

If a married couple is both students, they don't have jobs, life insurance, pensions, health insurance, etc.

Marriage based N400 in NYC Experiences

Lately I have seen a couple of people who recently went to NYC on marriage based N400 interview and were asked to produce more documents.
Some people are concluding that no matter what docs you take NYC will call be back for second interview.
I want to know if that is the case. Personally I am planning to take following docs:
Joint Mortgage
My wife's Life Insurance showing me as beneficiary
My Life insurance from work showing my wife as beneficiary
Joint All State car insurance
Marriage Certificate
3 years of Tax (Joint filing) transcripts
My son's birth certificate
Letter from Insurance company to confirm that my wife, me and my son are have same health insurance for last 3 years
Joint bank account ( letter from bank plus printouts)

Some letters that we have received at our joint address.
My wife's paystub showing same address as on my paystubs.

If I am being asked to produce anything else, I don't have any other proof.

Please share your experience

My interview is next week.

Thanks

Lately I have seen a couple of people who recently went to NYC on marriage based N400 interview and were asked to produce more documents.
Some people are concluding that no matter what docs you take NYC will call be back for second interview.
I want to know if that is the case. Personally I am planning to take following docs:
Joint Mortgage
Marriage Certificate
Letter from Insurance company to confirm that my wife, me and my son are have same health insurance for last 3 years

Thanks

Looks like you are good to go, Jim.
Where is your interview?

If a married couple is both students, they don't have jobs, life insurance, pensions, health insurance, etc.

After reading your original post, I think I would do exactly what the IO has done. It seems a little fishy of your application because you did not provide the documents that were relatively easily for a married couple to have. But, I understand as you've said that you both are students and those docs are hard to come by. I think there must be other hard evidence that you can present to show you both lived together in the past three years, such as the emergency contact in school record for both of you and affidavits from school, land lord, and friends. Anyway, the bottom line is that you still have the joint bank (e)statements, lease, utility bills. Think of any connections between you and your spouse in any form and bring it to the interview. I think you'll be fine, just need to think harder. Good luck.

I think that having a child together should definitely close the bona-fide issue for any minimally capable immigration officer.
To me it's a no brainer, but I'm no immigration officer.

After reading your original post, I think I would do exactly what the IO has done. It seems a little fishy of your application because you did not provide the documents that were relatively easily for a married couple to have.
Yeap, it was my fault. I should have gone the extra miles and obtain the documents from the banks, credit card company prior to the interview and i would not have a problem.

I think that having a child together should definitely close the bona-fide issue for any minimally capable immigration officer.
To me it's a no brainer, but I'm no immigration officer.
I didn't submit the birth certificate of my child. I asked if he want to see it and the officer said no. I'm curious why they are more interested in seeing banks statements, bills,..

I didn't submit the birth certificate of my child. I asked if he want to see it and the officer said no. I'm curious why they are more interested in seeing banks statements, bills,..

Because those docs can support your claim that you and your spouse have spent lives together in the past 3 years, which is the center piece of the base of your application. Without that center piece, your application has nothing to be based on and thus will be headed denial.

If your application is not marriage-based, then you don't need those stupid documents but have to wait another two more years (till 5th GC anniversary) to qualify to apply.

Joint Mortgage
Marriage Certificate

Thanks

I would also take some utility bill, mortgage/rent paper, property tax showing both names.

vik_b

I have a question.
Which street entrance do I need to use for N400 interview? Do I need to wait in line?

Use the Broadway entrance. After you clear security, you may have to wait in line to check in, but it'll go by quickly. After you check in, you'll be directed to go to the naturalization unit on the 7th floor, which is where the real wait will begin. Bring some reading material to kill time. Also, they are very strict about cell phones at Fed Plaza. You may bring yours with you, but they'll make you turn it off.

I just finished my Interview this morning at Garden City. My Interview was scheduled at 8:25am, and I got there an hour early. Passed through the security check at the enterance, and was told to go up to the second floor. I sat down in a room with full of people. IOs started to call up people around 7:45am. My name was called around 9. I followed the IO to his office. The first thing that he asked me was my Passport and my GC. After that, he went through my applications and asked me questions about it. Everything went OK. Following by that was civil test. Things again went smoothly. At the end, I saw the IO took out a chop and stamped it on my application stating "APPROVED". He then told me to wait for the OL; as it will come at least 3 weeks or more. The whole Internview lasted about 10 minutes. The IO did not bother to ask me for my Tax Returns or any documentations. In which I was kinda surprised.

Since the IO told me that application is approved, does that mean that my name check is also cleared?

I just finished my Interview this morning at Garden City. My Interview was scheduled at 8:25am, and I got there an hour early. Passed through the security check at the enterance, and was told to go up to the second floor. I sat down in a room with full of people. IOs started to call up people around 7:45am. My name was called around 9. I followed the IO to his office. The first thing that he asked me was my Passport and my GC. After that, he went through my applications and asked me questions about it. Everything went OK. Following by that was civil test. Things again went smoothly. At the end, I saw the IO took out a chop and stamped it on my application stating "APPROVED". He then told me to wait for the OL; as it will come at least 3 weeks or more. The whole Internview lasted about 10 minutes. The IO did not bother to ask me for my Tax Returns or any documentations. In which I was kinda surprised.

Since the IO told me that application is approved, does that mean that my name check is also cleared?

That is correcto, my friend !!!
Welcome to the Oath Waiting Club.
And KonGRATulaTionS
:D:D:D