New Requirement of Surrendering Indian Citizenship - General Discussion

I received my Surrender Certificate, but it is nothing but my application form with the stamp of US consulate of SFO. Is that right? Anyone who received it can you please reply?

I received my Surrender Certificate, but it is nothing but my application form with the stamp of US consulate of SFO. Is that right? Anyone who received it can you please reply?
--------------------------------------------------
Yes, that is the SC.

--------------------------------------------------
Yes, that is the SC.

did you apply SC/OCI together?

Renunciation Certificate Recieved with no cancelled passport

My wife's OCI application was rejected today. It says that the Indian passport has not been cancelled. She already has a surrender/renunciation certificate for her Indian passport. The Consulate did not cancel the passport while giving her the certificate.
Anyone in a similar situation?. What did you do to cancel your Indian passport?

Vivek

Hi

I have a question on indian passport renounciation and getting an Indian visa once i get my US Passport. I live in Atlanta and so the consulate is Houston.
1) Can i apply for the Indian Visa and the Indian Passport renounciation at the same time?
2) How long does it take for both these?

Thanks

recived the SC from Hosuton

Send over nigth mail on 1/26/2011 and recived SC for both myself and son on 2/9/2011

Things Might be movign fast .Applyign OCI today

Name for renuciation applications

I had a name change during naturalization process. So, my Indian passport still has old name and my naturalization certificate has new name. While submitting the forms for renunciation , should I use new name. How will I let the consulate know that my name has been changed?

I acquired US citizenship February 2009 and came to know of this stupid surrender certificate yesterday by chance at a party.

My Indian Consulate is NYC and I already have OCI and my Indian passport says "Cancelled". Just "Cancelled" and nothing else.

I thought since it's only $20, I will go through the pain of completing it. But then the Travisa application process wants to charge a penalty of $250 saying it's been more than 3 years since I acquired US Citizenship and that I did not surrender my Indian Citizenship. The flowchart on their website(https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/images/renunciation_flowchart.png) says I do not have to pay a penalty.

How do I overcome this catch 22 situation?

Can I just ignore the surrender certificate stuff?

How can the stupid Govt of India expect me to keep checking their passport rules so long after I gave up my Indian citizenship?!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I acquired US citizenship February 2009 and came to know of this stupid surrender certificate yesterday by chance at a party.

My Indian Consulate is NYC and I already have OCI and my Indian passport says "Cancelled". Just "Cancelled" and nothing else.

I thought since it's only $20, I will go through the pain of completing it. But then the Travisa application process wants to charge a penalty of $250 saying it's been more than 3 years since I acquired US Citizenship and that I did not surrender my Indian Citizenship. The flowchart on their website(https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/images/renunciation_flowchart.png) says I do not have to pay a penalty.

How can the stupid Govt of India expect me to keep checking their passport rules so long after I gave up my Indian citizenship?!

If your passport is cancelled, you don't need to do anything else. You have OCI now.

If you don't have 'Cancelled as holder acquired US citizenship" then you need to apply for SC

If your passport is cancelled, you don't need to do anything else. You have OCI now.

Now Travisa requires copy of surrender certificate if your passport doesn't have a stamp "'Cancelled as holder acquired US citizenship" or Surrender certificate if OCI was issued before Jun 1, 2010. I had only "Cancelled" stamp and Travisa wanted me to apply for renunciation/surrender certificate to get OCI renewed for our kids.

My relative is in identical situation, and was wondering if you had to pay $250 penalty or you're able to get away with it. He became USC in 2008, got OCI in 2010. At that time there was no such requirements, so he doesn't know what type of his old Indian passport had. he has lost/misplaced Indian passport btw.

TIA!

When we acquired OCI back in 2007, we were asked to send our Indian passport to cancel. It is consulate's responsibility to print out any certificate or create a stamp that fits their purpose. If they are asking for a new stamp now, they may ask for something newer 5 years from now ( e.g. stamp from local police station in India where you were born,lived before coming to USA that you no longer live there etc.).
Ever changing requirements from India and their retroactive effect is the reason why no foreign investor is at peace with Indian investment. Now Shri. Narendra Modi-Honourable PM is here to woo US companies to come to India while common Indian OCI holders are getting mistreated like this. If a country can not treat it's OCI's with respect and integrity, what is the guarantee it will respect foreign corporate ?
We should file a petition in International court for this inhuman treatment.

The statement: We put "Cancelled" stamp and not "Cancelled due to acquisition of US citizenship" therefore OCI should now pay $250 to us sounds Ludicrous, Preposterous, unreasonable.

That is fraud! So you want to notarize and swear that you possess a copy of the original document. That is felony offense in the US, regardless of the problem you could get into trouble with the Indian consulate.

- - - Quoted fraudulent post removed - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were you, I would go through the process one more time, rather than go the fraudulent document route. It can come back to bite you in the future. Is it worth it? It is not the Indian consulate, but a false sworn statement in front of a notary.

That is fraud! So you want to notarize and swear that you possess a copy of the original document. That is felony offense in the US, regardless of the problem you could get into trouble with the Indian consulate.
I reported the post to the moderators when it first appeared, citing it as invitation to fraud. Mods didn't bother and the post remained.

Look, I can see how it can be frustrating that they can't give you a replacement, or accept your copy as proof of having surrendered your nationality, but I would really avoid doctoring documents because if they become suspicious and you're caught for whatever reason, you don't know what hassles you will face.

Are you sure they ask for the original surrender certificate?