New Requirement of Surrendering Indian Citizenship - General Discussion

Of what value is this so called "surrender certificate"? I became a USC in 2006 and my Indian passport was cancelled at the same time. Is there any point in dealing with this issue now?

DenverCOMarch,
I have the same situation as yours.
Can someone please advise? My 12 year old son is becoming US citizen after I naturalize in few days. Do we need to apply for his surrender certificate as well?

rchigurupati, After reasearch and then asking CGI, SF directly - we do need to apply for SC for minors also (if minors help an Indian passport) and have now become USC as a result of parents becoming USC.

Our US passports came in yesterday and I had the "Renunciation Application" ready - send them in today. Hopefully will get the SC in a few days so that we can apply for either visa or PIO card (based upon when the SC comes in) for out planned visit to India in July.

DenverCOMarch,
Thanks for sharing the info. My son also needs to go to India in July. My oath is on 7/9, hoping to get our US passports on 7/12 (same day expedited at reg. passport office).
Please keep me posted your timelines, I'll post as well. Thanks.

try USCIS

At USCIS.gov , via freedom of information act, you can get whatever information they have on your Alien File. We're trying to get Indian passport information from them... Looks like from status check, it's going to take 4 or 5 months for them to send any information they have.. particularly copy of Indian Passport.

I am a bit confused. My wife got her US citizenship in 1983 and her last passport (including the details ) are not available. We are not sure whether this was returned to the Indian Consulate in SFO while obtaining a visa for her US passport. Can anyone help me with:

a. Anyone recollect the procedure? Was the passport return a requirement in the 80s?
b. Is there anyway of obtaining the passport details of the last passport anywhere (from Indian consulate for a fee perhaps)?

She has not traveled with an Indian passport after her citizenship. Will a notarzied declaration or an affidavit , or a ceremonial declaration to a consular authority work?

She has a visa till 2013 and we would like to apply for the OCI.

appreciatively,

vichu

Last edited by a moderator:
This is bad news for all Indians any one who become foreign citizen.....Why did they create this thing, its a prblem ? They are making more complecated. The new law said if you do not renounce your citizenship and get certifivcate , and if travel to india with USA passport and you will be fine with $250. What an Indian brain is this? can we call this claverness or wise? I call this very stupid law. They should look into a second thought.
Indian always create problems for its previous citizens.and potential becoming other nationality..very un-helpful. Why are they not learning from other nations who love their people...Indian learn only how to take money, and how to give a hard time to its people. Very bad service to its citizens abroad interm of issuing documents and very difficult to communicate with them. they are not good to either OCI and Citizens of Indian abroad.

hi

BigBull99,

Did you get any response from the consulate? I am in the same boat as you. The website is not clear about the $20 mailing fee.
Thanks,

GCGM
Hi,
I got my passport back in the regular mail. They cancelled my Indian passport and signed the surender certificate, I was surprised. I was expexting that they would send my passport back and ask me to send more money.

I am a bit confused. My wife got her US citizenship in 1983 and her last passport (including the details ) are not available. We are not sure whether this was returned to the Indian Consulate in SFO while obtaining a visa for her US passport. Can anyone help me with:

a. Anyone recollect the procedure? Was the passport return a requirement in the 80s?
b. Is there anyway of obtaining the passport details of the last passport anywhere (from Indian consulate for a fee perhaps)?

She has not traveled with an Indian passport after her citizenship. Will a notarzied declaration or an affidavit , or a ceremonial declaration to a consular authority work?

She has a visa till 2013 and we would like to apply for the OCI.

appreciatively,

vichu
I am in a somewhat similar situation to yours. I got PIO in 2005 (before OCI was implemented), sent my passport for cancellation but it was not returned with my PIO card. I am planning to convert my PIO to OCI, but don't have a surrender certificate. I have several old Indian passports (expired/cancelled) except the one I submitted with my PIO application. Will it be sufficient if I submit the OCI application with my PIO card and a copy of my surrendered passport (luckily I made a copy before I sent to CGI Houston) and my cancelled passports, or do I need to get an affidavit? The passport was valid until 2012, so do I need a police report as well? Or do I just do nothing and wait until my PIO expires in 2020?

From travisa Outsourcing company that handles Indian visa applications. The instructions are pretty clear.

Former Indian Nationals: Former Indian nationals applying for an Indian visa are required to surrender citizenship of India immediately if not done already. Same day processing time will not be available, and the overall processing time will be increased.

If the applicant has already renounced Indian citizenship, one of the following must be produced as proof:

* A Certificate of Renunciation issued by a Consulate of India or,
* An Indian Passport that contains a stamp that specifically renounces the citizenship.

If the applicant has NOT renounced their Indian citizenship, or cannot show proof, the following must be provided:

* Two (2) copies of the completed renunciation form - https://www.indian-visa.com/pdf/Renunciation_Form.pdf. This form is current as of May 14, 2010. Disregard all prior versions.
* Renunciation fee of $175 paid with a separate Money Order payable to 'Consulate General of India'.If the applicant is applying in the Washington DC jurisdiction, the Money Order should payable to 'Embassy of India'.
* Copy of the Naturalization Certificate. For minors who were not issued naturalization certificates, the parents must write a statement that the minors citizenship was obtained through the parents, and provide a copy of the parents naturalization certificate.
* Most recent Indian passport that was issued in India AND, if applicable, most recent passport issued outside of India. In both cases, applicant must provide photocopies of the first three pages of the passport and the last two pages of the passport. If you are applying in the San Francisco jurisdiction, you must also supply a copy of any pages containing an entry stamp into the US. If no Indian passport was issued in India you must supply a copy of your Green Card or Employment Authorization Document..

Hi nkm

My wife is scheduled for Oath on Aug 6 in New York. She has to go to India within two weeks thereafter.

Can u please advise whether we can get expedited service for US Passport. Also please give a link for US Passport application.

Please confirm whether we can file US Passport application in Washington DC. We are moving to VA and DC will be very convenient. OR is it necessary to apply in NY for the passport.

After receipt of US Passport, want to apply for renunciation of India citizenship in DC - Embassy of India. Will this be fine.

How and where to get India visa for travel to India after getting US Passport.

Your early response will be a great help.

Thanks

NRI 107

Hi nkm

My wife is scheduled for Oath on Aug 6 in New York. She has to go to India within two weeks thereafter.

Can u please advise whether we can get expedited service for US Passport. Also please give a link for US Passport application.

Please confirm whether we can file US Passport application in Washington DC. We are moving to VA and DC will be very convenient. OR is it necessary to apply in NY for the passport.

After receipt of US Passport, want to apply for renunciation of India citizenship in DC - Embassy of India. Will this be fine.

Thanks

NRI 107

I don't think you can get the US passports within two weeks and get the SC. You may be able to get SC and entry visa by paying Emergency Visa fee (you have to submit proof for your emergency trip). If this just a routine visit, then its better you postpone your travel.

Hi nkm

Thanks

NRI 107

An expedited US Passport can be had (I am not sure for new passsport though) within 24 hours provided you have a confirmed ticket to fly within 10 days (or was it 7).

Please google or go to travel.state.gov for more information for other information.
Do not know about the visa and SC business. My last 10 year visa was processed same day. This was eons ago, pre 9/11.

Hi nri107,
To get an expedited passport check out http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html. You should request an appointment with your travel details.

To get an entry visa in your new US passport, here is the outsourcing firm that handles these requests on behalf of Indian embassies https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/homepage

Call them (Travisa) and check what supporting documents are required to get an Entry VISA quickly. As a part of getting the Entry visa, the old Indian passport will get cancelled (Surrender certificate, Renunciation et al).

Once you return from your trip.... or as soon as you get the SC/Cancelled PP, you can submit OCI (if that is in your future plans) and then head to India.

Good luck,
V!!

I just became us citizen in june 2010 and i was wondering if i still have to pay $175 to surrender my indian citizenship?

I just became us citizen in june 2010 and i was wondering if i still have to pay $175 to surrender my indian citizenship?

Unfortunately, as per current guidelines, you have to pay $175.00 for renouncing the Indian citizenship. They announced a cutoff date of May-31-2010 to determine the renunciation fee.
If Naturalized on or before May-31-2010, fee is $20.00
If Naturalized on or after June-01-2010, fee is $175.00

From the DC Site http://www.indianembassy.org/oci.php
IMPORTANT NOTE:

Persons of Indian origin who have already acquired foreign citizenship until 31 May 2010 will not be required to pay renunciation fees of USD 175.00, he/she will be required to pay Miscellaneous fees of USD 20.00 when getting the old Indian passport cancelled/surrendered.

In future those Indian citizens who acquire foreign citizenship on or after June 1 2010 will have to submit declaration of renunciation of their Indian citizenship and a fees of USD 175.00.

Good luck,

I am an australian citizen for more than 15 years. When I applied for Aussie citizenship, at that time there was a rule that all indians applying for aussie citizenship had to surrender their indian passports to DIMA, and DIMA was supposed to pass on these passports to Indian High Commisision for cancellation. I was advised this was a requirement from GoI those days.

I have been holding OCI for more than 4 years, and I have already travelled to india on my Aussie passport and OCI many times (but not in past 2.5 years).

So, the million dollor question is - DO I NEED TO APPLY FOR A SURRENDER CERTIFICATE NOW ? IS IT SOMETHING WE NEED TO CARRY WITH US WHEN WE TRAVEL TO INDIA ?

Perhaps members who have travelled to india recently can give me some ideas, because the highcommission here does not ever even answer the phones !!!!!

Surrender Certificate - is it required ?

I obtained US citizenship in March 2008. Immedietely after obtaining US citizenship, I sent my Indian passport (Along with my wife's) to the Indian Consulate in New York for cancellation.

The NYC consulate returned the passports with a rubber stamp entry that stated that the passports were cancelled and also put a note with a pen that I had acquired US citizenship

Subsequently I acquired OCI status with my family

Back in 2008, there was no concept of a surrender certificate, so I did not obtain one.

Do I still need a surrender certificate even though I have my Indian passports marked as cancelled by the consulate ? Is this certificate required to enter India or will the OCI + US passports be sufficient ?

I obtained US citizenship in March 2008. Immedietely after obtaining US citizenship, I sent my Indian passport (Along with my wife's) to the Indian Consulate in New York for cancellation.

The NYC consulate returned the passports with a rubber stamp entry that stated that the passports were cancelled and also put a note with a pen that I had acquired US citizenship

Back in 2008, there was no concept of a surrender certificate, so I did not obtain one.

Do I still need a surrender certificate even though I have my Indian passports marked as cancelled by the consulate ? Is this certificate required to enter India or will the OCI + US passports be sufficient ?

OCI+ US passports are sufficient to enter India, no need to carry expired Indian passports or surrender certitifcates.

OCI+ US passports are sufficient to enter India, no need to carry expired Indian passports or surrender certitifcates.