New Requirement of Surrendering Indian Citizenship - General Discussion

But, the above document (Advisory doc) is not clear on if we should still get the surrender cerfiticate, even if the old Indian passport is already cancelled, if people got OCI/PIO etc before enforcement of this rule. NY and SFO consulates have posted contradicting statements on it. NY says we have to get it no matter what (or pay $175) and SFO says it will NOT issue Surrender certificate if the passport is already cancelled. Where does Houston stand on this? Anyone know?

As far as I understand, those who have received OCI/PIO visas are good for now. When the time comes for renewal of visa/OCI/PIO, rules would have settled to something more logical.

As far as I understand, those who have received OCI/PIO visas are good for now. When the time comes for renewal of visa/OCI/PIO, rules would have settled to something more logical.

Thanks! I'll go with that for now and see how everything pans out over the next couple of months.

Question: can one submit an OCI application together with the surrender certificate application at the same time?

Look at Q5 in post#32 below.

Q5 May I apply for Surrender Certificate and visa/PIO/OCI at the same time?
You should first obtain the Surrender Certificate and then apply for other services.

Q6 I have to undertake an emergency travel. Can I obtain Surrender Certificate and the Indian visa the same day?
Yes, if you have an emergency, you may first apply for SC at the Consulate. Once you have the SC, you may apply for emergency visa.

GAWD!! The indian Babus are clueless

A couple of weeks back when all this started, my wife's visa petition was pending in the DC consulate. So, i had to go to Travisa office and i let them know that the goal posts got moved in the middle of the game and i wanted to know what can be done. They asked me to give them the renunciation form and copy of Naturalization cert and a money order for $175.00 and they would forward it to the Indian embassy and work with them. They did and my wife got a stamp in the passport saying "cancelled due to acquiring US citizenship" - But they never sent my wife a Surrender Certificate !! I have the receipt of the money order to prove that they cashed the $175.00.. Now i have to make a trip to the embassy again to sort this out.. morons.. they don't even know themselves what to send..

a. The NY Consulate FAQ on Surrender cert says everyone (including people who have their passports cancelled) should get the surrender certificate since it will be required at the port of entry in India
b. The SF consulate says Surrender Cert will NOT be issued to people who already have cancelled indian passports
c. The travisa site says you require either the Surrender Cert OR a stamp in the passport that says "cancelled due to acquiring US citizenship"

So, which consulate is right?

Arrgh the Indian Babus..they just dream up some stuff about some piece of paper (god knows why a "cancelled" indian passport won't do??).

Answer to Q3 is absolutely ridiculous, if you have a canceled Indian passport that means it had been stamped canceled by the Indian Embassy and the the citizenship was surrendered at the same time. How in the world they could expect you to surrender something that had already been done in past?

I love how they do business --- no fr***ing common sense in these babus brains.

Q3 My Indian passport has already been cancelled by an Indian Mission but I was not issued a Surrender Certificate. Do I need to obtain one?
Even though your passport has a cancelled stamp, you need to formally renounce your citizenship as per the prescribed format and obtain a Surrender Certificate as a proof of having done so.

I think that CGI NY has recently amended their response to Q3 and added one extra but very important line. Read the last line:

Q3 My Indian passport has already been cancelled by an Indian Mission but I was not issued a Surrender Certificate. Do I need to obtain one?
Even though your passport has a cancelled stamp, you need to formally renounce your citizenship as per the prescribed format and obtain a Surrender Certificate as a proof of having done so. However, if your passport was cancelled due to acquisition of foreign nationality and has an endorsement to this effect, no Surrender Certificate is required.

Promise of changes (hopefully for the better)

news.rediff.com/report/2010/jun/01/vayalar-ravi-promises-change-in-new-visa-rules-for-indians-in-us.htm

Hi All,

I just spoke to the operator at the CGI Houston this afternoon. I was told that since I have "cancelled due to acquisition of US nationality" stamped across the first (right) page of the Indian Passport, I do not have to apply for a Surrender Certificate.

This Stamp on the Passport denotes that the Passport has been surrendered.

I received my OCI a few months ago.

Check out the new notice on the San Francisco Consulate website.

LATEST NEWS: In supercession of previous rules, Government of India has decided that Persons of Indian origin who have already acquired foreign citizenship uptil 31 May 2010 will not be required to pay renunciation fees of USD 175.00, he/she will be required to pay Miscellaneous fees of USD 20.00 when getting the old Indian passport cancelled/surrendered.

In future those Indian citizens who acquire foreign citizenship on or after 01 June 2010 will have to submit declaration of renunciation of their Indian citizenship forms as given on website and fees of USD 175.00

I bet most people who paid won't get a refund.

indiavisa_travisaoutsourcing_com/guidelines?id=5

replace underscore with .

Persons of Indian Origin Alert - Effective June 1st, 2010, 3:30PM EDT

Former Indian Nationals naturalized before June 1, 2010: US Citizens who received US citizenship before June 1, 2010 do not have to obtain a renunciation certificate. One of the following must be produced as proof:
Their cancelled Indian passport or,
If not cancelled, then please provide your Indian Passport and a money order for $20.00 payable to Consulate of India to cancel the Indian Passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. Will send my form tomorrow.

Same in NYCGI - Fees for Obtaining Surrender / Renunciation Certificate Waived

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=144&key=

I took two Bankers check for $175 (for both me and my wife) and the surrender certificate mail was all packed. Because of severe thunderstorm I decided to go to Post office tomorrow morning and thank goodness that I read this news tonight :eek:. Now I have to go back to the bank and cancel my Bankers check tomorrow morning. What a timing :eek:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a petition created for consulates to refund the extra $155 that they collected ? There are several thousand who have applied over the last 3 weeks and the govt cannot punish people when they created a fear among public to get this done immediately by stipulating a 90 day time limit. Does this mean the public who follow rules sincerely are punished and those who procrastinate are better off ?

I think I will also loose $330 for two passports I sent for surrender certificates late last week. I need to check with my bank whether or not the money orders have been cashed. I am sure CGI will not refund me the $330 though they have not processed the application till now. Please let me know if we can do someting together to get the money back.