New naturalization test sample sentences - let's collect!

I am sorry but this is pathetic. If this is the level of language comprehension after 5 years of being LPR, then you've got bigger problems.

Add this sentence to the list: America is a melting pot and the few brain cells I had melted in it.

BTW, I learnt English as a second language so please don't even start with that inane "native speaker" argument.

I was asked to write "There are 100 senators". But when the officer checked it, he crossed out the 100 and told me to spell out 'one hundred'. Geez!
By general convention, you were right and he was wrong. The normal rule of thumb is that numbers twenty or less should be spelled out when used in prose whereas numbers 21 or more are typically written as numerals.

By general convention, you were right and he was wrong. The normal rule of thumb is that numbers twenty or less should be spelled out when used in prose whereas numbers 21 or more are typically written as numerals.

Ha! You show Mr. Adjudicator who's boss! :>

Finally, my friend passed the citizenship interview. She was asked to wrote "Alaska is the largest U.S. state".

It seems, this is my final post in the forum. Good bye, folk and good luck to everyone!

hey anabel.

Don't take this the wrong way but I am still having a hard time understanding how this collection of sentences could possibly of help any N400 applicant. I am not being sarcastic or anything. I will appreciate your answer.

Maybe anabel meant to see what are the most popular sentences that comes during the test, so applicants can prepare for them, but I think if you manage to study/remember the words mentioned in the booklet which USCIS hand when you go for FP, you should be OK, regardless of what sentence will pop up for you, plus the sentences are coming random from the IO's computer during the interview as I understand from others' experiences

Anyway Good Luck to all of us who are going for their Interview/Test :)

My comment will probably not make me popular. Please stop this futile -and quite frankly stupid -effort. If you are so worried about the "English test" you should probably question whether to have filed a N400 application in the first place.
Collecting sample sentences will do nothing more than momentarily turn you into a little trained circus animal. Either go attend a class or spend $15 and get a book like Barrons at the local bookstore and study.

While I like the forum, I dislike shortcuts in order to meet the minimum minimorum of the rules and qualifications.

P.S.: Flame replies will not raise my blood pressure and will be ignored, so save your powder.

Thank you

Thank you for putting this list together! I think it is very usefull despite some of the comments people posted. I don't worry about the English portion of the test myself, but it is interesting to know what they ask beforehand. And promise me, there are some people who think they "don't speak any English", but reading these sentences they can actually change their mind and apply for the citizenship! :)

And promise me, there are some people who think they "don't speak any English", but reading these sentences they can actually change their mind and apply for the citizenship! :)

That is exactly why many do not like this thread. They figure that if you
do not soeak good English then you do not deserve to be a US citizen
and merely studying it well purely for pass certain test is cheating. Some
people think only they are entitled to be citizens and all others should be
disqualified otherwise they are polluting gene's pool of this country

Last edited by a moderator:
The "English test" addressed in this thread is only one part of the whole English test. As USCIS website info indicates, this only tests your reading and writing of English. Your spoken English is tested during the gist of the interview: when the IO goes over the N-400 application item by item.

And what is this? This question is not among the civics. The officer shouldn't have asked you this.
No one ever said it was a civic question. It's part of the English test questions. The question is read and the answer is written.

When I did my nat interview the officer asked me if i knew how to speak english. Mind you I have lived in England for a while prior to coming to the USA.

His english was broken himself since you could tell he was not a native english speaker. I was being funny and I said to him 'I reckon so'. He looked at me and said' what is reckon'. You could tell my lawyer was holding himself from laughing.

But my sentence was and I'm not even joking and I will never forget it.

'The white house is an old building'

The IO was joking around a lot during the 15 minutes I was in there.

writing sentences

Comment on person incorrectly writing a sentence with spelling errors, suggesting that he would have failed. This is not true. Minor spelling errors are allowed as long as the officer considers it to be understandable. Mispelling "presidt" for example, would probably pass.

I was asked to read "What do we have to pay the government?" I actually had to pause before reading this sentence out loud because it sounds a little weird. I think the weirdness comes from the fact you are asking a group, of whom you are a member of, a question. I guess soliloquy is not one of my fortes.

I was asked to write "We have to pay taxes." I even joked with the IO saying my parents were going to love that sentence.

Benjamin Franklin : "In this world there is nothing that is certain except death and taxes" I guess in modern America we should add college loans to that sentence...

Comment on person incorrectly writing a sentence with spelling errors, suggesting that he would have failed. This is not true. Minor spelling errors are allowed as long as the officer considers it to be understandable. Mispelling "presidt" for example, would probably pass.

I think USCIS should ask each applicants to to take TOEFL test and , say, minimum 450 is required to be eligible.

The sentence my husband had to write was, "The President lives in the White House." We really appreciated the people who came back and shared their sample sentence, so we wanted to contribute.
Thank you!