New naturalization test sample sentences - let's collect!

anabel

Registered Users (C)
Unfortunately USCIS does not publish sample sentences for the writing portion of the new naturalization test :(. I propose to start collecting its in this thread ;). I am sure, it will be useful not only for me.

Dear new US Citizens! Please, share with us the sentence you wrote on your Interview. Thanks. New naturalization test only, please. The list of sample sentences for Old test is annonced here.

Collection of really asked sentences
1. Columbus Day is in October. (occurrence: 2; confirmed by: KrisKumarr )
2. We pay taxes. (occurrence: 4; confirmed by: paulclarke1, FriscoDude)
3. The President lives in the White House. (occurrence: 4; confirmed by: tscnd, volvo)
4. California has largest population in the United States.
5. New York City was the first capital.
6. Washington is the father of our Nation.
7. Washington is on the dollar bill.
8. Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves. (courtesy of tscnd)
9. California has the most people. (occurrence: 2; confirmed by: Mohd_mizzou )
10. Lincoln was the President during the Civil War. (occurrence: 2; confirmed by: so1994)
11. The people elect Congress. (occurrence: 3; confirmed by: MsDossen)
12. We have one hundred senators.
13. There are 100 senators in the US Senate. (occurrence: 2; confirmed by: SweetPrincess)
14. Citizens can vote. (occurrence: 2; courtesy of sri69, confirmed by: yay)
15. I live in the United States.
16. George Washington was the first president.
17. The White House is in Washington D.C. (occurrence: 2; confirmed by: njcitizen09)
18. People vote for the President in November.
19. The President of the United States is elected by the people. (courtesy of Caramuru)
20. Independence Day is in July. (courtesy of robin2006)
21. Canada is north of the United States. (courtesy of BlessedAreThose)
22. Washington is the capital. (courtesy of robin2006)
23. The American Indians lived here. (mine!)
24. Thanksgiving is in November. (courtesy of njcitizen09)
25. I love to live in America. (courtesy of Triple Citizen)
26. People want to vote.
27. Alaska is the largest U.S. state.(courtesy of pushher)

to be continued ....

You can practice those and other sentences at www.passcitizenshipexam.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately USCIS does not publish sample sentences for the writing portion of the new naturalization test :(. I propose to start collecting its in this thread ;). I am sure, it will be useful not only for me.

Dear new US Citizens! Please, share with us the sentence you wrote on your Interview. Thanks.

The list of the real sentences:
1. Columbus day is in October
2. We pay taxes
3. The President lives in the White House
4. California has largest population in the United States.
5. New York City was the first capital.
6. Washington is the father of our Nation.

USCIS does have a list of words used for the writing test on their website. It's just a matter of combining the words to make sentences.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/writing_vocab.pdf

Yes, the words by theyself are available. But I believe the real examples are much more useful and informative, am I wrong?
By the way, USCIS website publishes the sample sentences list as well as a list of used words for OLD test .

One more sentence: WASHINGTON IS ON THE DOLLAR BILL

My wife was asked to write
Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves.
I was asked to write
The President lives in the the White House.

Thank you guys. I expanded our list on the top.
The American flag has stars and stripes.
Just to be sure: did you take New test? There are no "stars" and "stripes" in the new test vocabulary.
If you wrote the sentence exactly as written you must have failed!:D
From USCIS website:

U.S. NATURALIZATION TEST SCORING GUIDELINES FOR THE ENGLISH TEST
An applicant shall not be failed because of spelling,
capitalization, or punctuation errors unless the errors would prevent understanding the meaning of the sentence. :D

USCIS does have a list of words used for the writing test on their website. It's just a matter of combining the words to make sentences.

I just figured out there are no words "freed" and "slaves"(sentence 8) in the vocabulary. How it can be?:confused:

I dont think USCIS has a fixed vocab or sentences. I was asked to write "I take a cab to work". Some other friend was asked to write "It is a sunny day today". So I am not sure if all this is drawn from a fixed pool of words.

I dont think USCIS has a fixed vocab or sentences. I was asked to write "I take a cab to work". Some other friend was asked to write "It is a sunny day today". So I am not sure if all this is drawn from a fixed pool of words.
Yes, they do have. They even offer Writing Test Flash Cards on USCIS wesite with explanation:
Each writing test administered to an applicant will contain no more than three (3) sentences. An applicant must write one (1) out of three (3) sentences correctly to demonstrate an ability to write in English. To help an applicant prepare, these flash cards contain all the words found in the English writing portion of the new naturalization test. The content focuses on civics and history topics.
It seems, you took Old test. Your sentences (almost) are from the Everyday Life list: I drive a blue car to work(14) and Today is a sunny day(44).

What vinayakk is saying is that they don't use a fixed set of words. USCIS may have set words they use, but from his experience other words are used as well.

What vinayakk is saying is that they don't use a fixed set of words. USCIS may have set words they use, but from his experience other words are used as well.
You want to say, they don't have to follow their own rules? :confused:

Nevertheless, 4 new sentences:
15. I live in the United States.
16. George Washington was the first president.
17. The White House is in Washington D.C.
18. People vote for the President in November.

I had my interview today 5/4.. I was asked to write "California has the most people."

Thank you. I updated the top message. Occurrence is important too. By the way, we can congrat you, isn't :)?