ALC Certifying Officer
U.S. Dept of Labor
Employment and Training Admin.
201 Varick Street, Rm.755
New York, NY 10014
(212) 337-2184

hi everybody

Hello Friends,

This is my first post to this forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing there experiences and helping us pass through this tough journey.

My wife's LC was filed in NJ on 04/28/02 in RIR category. Waiting since then..... We both are on H1 (work for different companies). I will be completing 6 years H1 in Sept 2005. If we don't get our 485 by then, I will probably have to leave the country. Or, may be I will be able to change my status to H4 (our attorney said he is not 100% sure if that is possible). But I will not be able to work in that case. I am considering if I should file for my own LC so that I can apply for 7th year extension when the time come. So far I did not apply for it because I did not want to put my head into the consulting company's nook! (Also, I have to finance this out of my pocket!). I was hoping agaist hope that by end of 2003, we will have the LC clearence and we will be OK by the time I am due for my 7th year extension. But now I think I should probably file my LC seperately, else I might run out of time for my 7th year H1 extension. What do you guys think? I will be greatful for any suggestions from you guys. I am planning to file the LC under regular (RIR again might take more time), is it a good strategy?

Thanks and have a happy new year everyone!

If your wife is able to work on H1 status beyond Sept 2005, I would think you should be able to convert to H4 status and continue to live in USA. But again, a lawyer would be able to confirm this.

I would think its always safe to file for labor since then you become independent to get 7th yr extension irrespective of what stage your wife's green card is in.

NJ SESA is currently dealing with Nov - Dec 01 cases. So, hopefully they should reach your case in another 4-6 months and NY DOL will probably take another 2-3 months. So, you are looking at atleast 9 more months to clear your wife's labor. Lets hope there are no queries and no lost times. That will put you in Sep 2004. You have to file your labor before Sep 2004 to be eligible for 7th yr extension.

Its your personal decision whether (a) you want to stay home on H4 status beyond Sep 2005 Or (b) file for your labor and keep getting 1 yr extensions until your GC process goes thru either via yourself or your wife.

If you are good with plan (a), I guess you should talk to a lawyer and confirm if you can convert to H4 status beyond Sept 2005.
I would think its possible.

else for plan(b) - you should file your own labor so that you can get 1 yr extensions and keep working until your GC is approved.

Justdoit,

Thanks for the quick and comprehensive reply. I think it is better for me to start my own processing. Unfortunately, it looks like I too will have to do it from NJ only. If I had another choice I would have done it already.

Would you suggest regular or RIR for me? If I go for RIR, may be I can't file for another 6 months? Also, I hear that the distinction between regular and RIR will soon go away...

BTW, howlong does it take these days in Philadelphia, the status says current. Any first-hand news? Thanks and good luck to all

H Visa 6 year limit

optimistguy,

I think Years on H Visa ( H4 / H1 ) visa is counted on the 6 yrs limit so if you stay on H1 for 6 yrs, you cannot convert ur status to H4 and stay in US.

Please consult with your lawyer.

optimistguy,
RIR process is the way to go in NJ. Regular processing is stuck in Apr 2001 in NJ SESA. So, I would suggest RIR. Its important for you to file before Aug 2004 so that your application remains pending for more than a yr as of Sep 2005 which is your H1 6 Yr limit. So, you have 8 months from Jan - Aug to prepare RIR case.

As mentioned by GC4Ever its quite possible that they count your H1 and H4 stay when calculating your 6yr limit. Actually, that's absolutely right from my personal experience. My wife came to US in Dec 1999 on H4 status. Later she converted to H1 status in 2001. She applied for h1 extension in Apr 2003 until Apr 2006. But INS came back and said that they can grant H1 only until Dec 2005. So, I would assume that both H1 and H4 count towards 6 Yr limit.

Conclusion:
You will have to file labor before Aug - Sep 2004 to remain in US.

** Please confirm with lawyer and dont take our word. **

Optimistguy,

If I were you, I would apply for my labor immediately. The cost of applying for your labor is not much in comparison to what you might lose in the long run if things are delayed in your wife's case.
If you are applying from Philadelphia, then you might receive your labor before hers. You can be out of your misery sooner than us!
However, I-140 is taking more than a year to clear now. So you can just keep filing for H-1 extensions until your wife's I-485 goes through.

Hope this helps.

NJ RIR UPdate

The dates have moved to Dec 2001.

Mine was filed on Dec 24. Waiting for it. Any1 heard anything from Dec 2001?

Re: NJ RIR UPdate

AVM still says as of Dec 03 they are working on Nov 01.

Originally posted by ravimittal
The dates have moved to Dec 2001.

Mine was filed on Dec 24. Waiting for it. Any1 heard anything from Dec 2001?

Hello Everyone...

Mine was filed on Dec 10th 2001, As of time no news from my lawyer. I dont know on what criteria applications are being processed...

Few months back there was a procedure where we can send email and find out if any cases were approved, I tried to send a email couple of weeks back but email bounced back as it didnt find the mailid.

I have been following this firm for a while. My friend applied for labour on Dec 20 2001. It was teansmitted to DOL on 11/5/2003. DOL issue NOF . Replied to NOF on 20 th. Previously when checked with DOL the status says NOF was issued. But if we check now the status says Case # not foud. Is it normal. Please let me know.
Thanks

Online Tracking? & Reply to GCFever

GCFever,
They haven't updated AVM. I called them and asked them. Lady told me they are currently processing Dec 2001.

For FL if you have a employer id and the case # you can check the status of Labor Online. Check out:

http://www.floridajobs.org/WPS_ALC/case_status.html

Is there any such think for NJ DOL. Can we not demand/complain about slow processing to some1 in NJ?

Chandu(bush) is going to make some more illegal aliens legal for his upcoming election and we will be waiting for more than 5 years...go figure.......

01/07/2004: Bush to Announce "Today" Illegal Alien Immigration Plan

According to the report, Bush is scheduled to announce his immigration reform plan today in time for his meeting with the Mexican President next weeek in Mexico and to target the Hispanic support in the coming National Election in November 2004. As we reported earlier, the plan will mirror the Senator McCain bill in the U.S. Senate which requires temporary employment for a period of time before allowing application for permanent residence rather than granting an outright "amnesty" of all the illegal aliens. The plan attempts to walk middle of road between the extreme immigration opponents and the extreme progressive immigration proponents. For the NY Times report, please click here. We will report the announcement as soon as it becomes available.

from what I know, they need to legally work 3 years before they can apply for Green Card, so we still have some time

Good news after such a long time

Hi Friends,

One of my friend's labor got approved from NJ SESA and moved to NY DOL on Dec 22 2003 which was applied under RIR EB3 on Jan 23 2002.

Guys just wait for your turn.

KEPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.