• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Name misspelling

Vic2008

Registered Users (C)
I am dv2008
I have made mistake in my name spelling, my first name has been written in passport as ***OU* and I have entered e-registration and form 230 as ***OO*. Then I notified KCC about my mistake and they have changed my spelling in my CASE FILE but not in the forms.
Since I am not principal applicant is this cause any problem in my interview?

If you filled the form DS 230 with your names as they appear on your passport, the problem is solved. KCC connot change the original entry, but they can edit your case files. This will not be a problem during interview, once you have informed KCC and put your name on DS 230 form correctly. Take the copy of your mail and KCC mail to show during interview in case they will ask you about the mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you dragoman for your reply but unfortunatly I didn't fill those form with my passport first name spelling. Actually I noticed about passport spelling when the forms had been posted, so what will happen in this case?

If you filled the form DS 230 with your names as they appear on your passport, the problem is solved. KCC connot change the original entry, but they can edit your case files. This will not be a problem during interview, once you have informed KCC and put your name on DS 230 form correctly. Take the copy of your mail and KCC mail to show during interview in case they will ask you about the mistake.

Actually...

You must be more worried about your birth certificate. The Birth Certificate RULES. Check that with all other names you have in the passport, high school diploma, etc.

Peace Out.:cool:

as far as I understand your interview has not been scheduled yet. So, send email to KCC and explain your mistake. They will get back to you asking to fill the form again or just to inform you it will be included into your case file. If KCC will inform you that it will be included into your case file, you need to bring to interview the copy of the email from KCC.

Thank you dragoman for your reply but unfortunatly I didn't fill those form with my passport first name spelling. Actually I noticed about passport spelling when the forms had been posted, so what will happen in this case?

So in the embassy if my form-230 requires any change then officer will ask me to correct it or to complet another form or he will do the correction by himself?

We have a similar problem. My wife's middle name is Ann (she is the principal applicant). On her birth certificate it is correctly down as Ann. On all the forms we have sent to the KCC etc, her middle name is correctly down as Ann.

Many people mistakenly add an 'e' on the end of Ann, and this has gone unnoticed until now, but we see that on her passport and our marriage certificate, and some of her qualification documents, her middle name has got an 'e' on the end, reading 'Anne'.

Do you think that will cause any problems?

Hi to you orlandovillas
As i get so far the best thing is to call KCC and ask them to make it as her passport, because the most important thing in visa issuance is Passport but if your registration in KCC were still going on.by calling KCC they will change her name in your case file. Generally i don't think the embassy/consular officer consider these kinds of misspelling as fraud or unchangble mistake, they will check your other information in other documents such as birthdate, place of birth etc. for clarification and then they will choose the decision.
As i get you have some documents with Ann spelling and some other with Anne the problem is to know what will they do in order to unification your names in emb./cons. during interview.
I dont know maybe this kind of double spelling of her name is solvable for them because maybe they consider as same as you think about double type of spelling in this name.
For more information in this case you had better to ask the experts in this forum.and also be carful in this case and gather every infomation you can get here or other sources because your misspelled name is in principal applicant's name.
Despite to your tiny little misspelling i think the best way is to notify KCC and your related emb./cons. before your interview to make sure that you have chosen the best way.
Good luck

hi
the birth certificate is the 1st essential document, not a passport. You filled the forms with the names as they appear on the birth certificate, I dont see the problem here, the problem can be completely solved applying for a new passport with a correct middle name as they appear on the birth certificate. Just in case you need to be prepared...regards.

We have a similar problem. My wife's middle name is Ann (she is the principal applicant). On her birth certificate it is correctly down as Ann. On all the forms we have sent to the KCC etc, her middle name is correctly down as Ann.

Many people mistakenly add an 'e' on the end of Ann, and this has gone unnoticed until now, but we see that on her passport and our marriage certificate, and some of her qualification documents, her middle name has got an 'e' on the end, reading 'Anne'.

Do you think that will cause any problems?

First I filled MY place of birth ( mendefera) in the online application.
Then in the DS Form same place of birth ( mendefera)name as first. these matched with the place of birth ( mendefera)in my birth certificate. the problem is with in my passport have different birth place adi gawil) which is written my village found in my sub one ( mendefera). do you think this will creat a problem in my interview.

First I filled MY place of birth ( mendefera) in the online application.
Then in the DS Form same place of birth ( mendefera)name as first. these matched with the place of birth ( mendefera)in my birth certificate. the problem is with in my passport have different birth place adi gawil) which is written my village found in my sub one ( mendefera). do you think this will creat a problem in my interview.

I don't think so. As others have previously mentioned the most important document in identity clarification would be your birth certificate not passport.
Where is Mendefera? I have never heard that before!

[QUOTE =Vic2008;1904069]I don't think so. As others have previously mentioned the most important document in identity clarification would be your birth certificate not passport.
Where is Mendefera? I have never heard that before![/QUOT

Hi
i also have the same problem.. My NL letter missed my last initial of my first name (am the principal applicant) XXXXa and according to all my other documents including my passport and birth certificate my name is spelt as XXXXXah. i didn't want to correct them when i filled the DS 230 incase they started to question me and cancel my case but it was just an ommision when i was filling it online and maybe i was in a hurry and the funny thing i usually write my name without h most cases. On the DS 230 i filled that space for aliases my name with h incase they question me. i have been to the US for many years so i got all my documents eg the SSN and DL with the correct name with h and i have been to my consulate and took my fingerprints so it will just pop up with h. I don't know if this will really be a big issue or what i should tell kCC so that they change..can they cancel my case??? i have a high number and it scares me if they decide to do the name check and it is takes for ever and the time expire.. i had been cleared by police before i left and had no records... can this help if i take it to the interview??
please help me am so confused

From our experience, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. You have been clear that you have your name with and without the H on the end. It just means when they run your name check they'll check both versions of your name. When they issue your GC they will take what is on your Birth certificate (unless you had legally changed your name since birth, which you haven't).

[QUOTE =Vic2008;1904069]I don't think so. As others have previously mentioned the most important document in identity clarification would be your birth certificate not passport.
Where is Mendefera? I have never heard that before![/QUOT

Hi
i also have the same problem.. My NL letter missed my last initial of my first name (am the principal applicant) XXXXa and according to all my other documents including my passport and birth certificate my name is spelt as XXXXXah. i didn't want to correct them when i filled the DS 230 incase they started to question me and cancel my case but it was just an ommision when i was filling it online and maybe i was in a hurry and the funny thing i usually write my name without h most cases. On the DS 230 i filled that space for aliases my name with h incase they question me. i have been to the US for many years so i got all my documents eg the SSN and DL with the correct name with h and i have been to my consulate and took my fingerprints so it will just pop up with h. I don't know if this will really be a big issue or what i should tell kCC so that they change..can they cancel my case??? i have a high number and it scares me if they decide to do the name check and it is takes for ever and the time expire.. i had been cleared by police before i left and had no records... can this help if i take it to the interview??
please help me am so confused

From our experience, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. You have been clear that you have your name with and without the H on the end. It just means when they run your name check they'll check both versions of your name. When they issue your GC they will take what is on your Birth certificate (unless you had legally changed your name since birth, which you haven't).

Thanks for your reply. The only thing am abit worried is about the duration the name check takes before it is cleared. I will be more likely to become current the last months and it may take a while to do the name check (administrative processing) as i have read people's stories. Should i email KCC and inform me or should i just leave it to my fate on the interview date?

If you are not a principal dv applicant, the spelling of your birth certificate does not matter much. You have to write your name in DS-230 in the same way as it is written in your passport. If you misspelled it, the consular officer will have to change the spelling in DS-230 to the passport spelling during the interview. If he forgets to do that, mention it to him during the interview yourself.

If you are not a principal dv applicant, the spelling of your birth certificate does not matter much. You have to write your name in DS-230 in the same way as it is written in your passport. If you misspelled it, the consular officer will have to change the spelling in DS-230 to the passport spelling during the interview. If he forgets to do that, mention it to him during the interview yourself.

i am the principal applicant that's what worries me

Does you birth certificate have your name in Roman alphabet?
Is the spelling of your name in electronic form different from the spelling of birth certificate?

Does you birth certificate have your name in Roman alphabet?
Is the spelling of your name in electronic form different from the spelling of birth certificate?

yes the name on the birth certificate as h as the end XXXXXah while the name on the electronic form has no h.. XXXXXa

http://www.wolfsdorf.com/DVarticles/DV 2004 Update.pdf

These instructions are deceptively simple. The DOS, wary of fraud, demands strict compliance. A minor typographical error appears to raise a presumption of fraud because the DOS has concluded that most errors, particularly in the spelling of the name, indicate that duplicate petitions may have been filed. Any differences in the spelling of a name on the petition when compared to the birth certificate will disqualify the applicant. Almost three million applications were disqualified from the DV-2004 program for failure to comply with the instructions.40

You could say that those instructions reference DV-2004 program with paper submissions, which did not use face recognition software. However, the document itself is definitely updated for DV-2005, which used electronic submission and face recognition software as well.

Be prepared to prove no duplicate entries were filed on your behalf.

http://www.wolfsdorf.com/DVarticles/DV 2004 Update.pdf

You could say that those instructions reference DV-2004 program with paper submissions, which did not use face recognition software. However, the document itself is definitely updated for DV-2005, which used electronic submission and face recognition software as well.

Be prepared to prove no duplicate entries were filed on your behalf.

it was just an error as mostly i write my name without h. But how can i prove no duplicate entries of which i did not have duplicates? Is it gonna be tough on my interview?? I have to US before and have my documents with SSN and DL and my name has H and been also to the consulate with h so there is no way i can change my birth certificate so i will just stick to the truth. Any advise???