• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Name misspelling

The requirements for AOS and CP differ. The spelling in GC through CP process will be the spelling from DS-230 (which has to be passport spelling). It could differ from birth certificate or other documents.

The spelling in GC in case of AOS is taken from I-94. It also could differ from passport, from spelling in the visa and from spelling in birth certificate.

As I already said, spelling in birth certificate has to be the same as in electronic form (unless you legally changed your name later).

If your birth certificate does not have spelling in Roman alphabet, this requirement is void.

The consul must correct the spelling in DS-230 form to the spelling in the passport, if it is different. The requirement of birth certificate to have exactly the same spelling as in the petition is very specific to DV lottery.

Is this part of the administrative processing which usually takes such a long time or the name check? or do they correct it there and there when you have gone to the interview?? SO that means they will correct the DS 230 to the name on the passport and then issue the immigrant visa to the name on the passport thus the name of the birth certificate will not be included but it is first important for it to match to the electronic form.. i hope i have gotten it correct is it??? again i do appreciate your endeless help and sorry for not getting it fast...........

Is this part of the administrative processing which usually takes such a long time or the name check?
Name check is part of administrative processing.

or do they correct it there and there when you have gone to the interview??
Consul has to correct the spelling during the interview.
In "other names" you have to put all other spellings of the same name as well.

SO that means they will correct the DS 230 to the name on the passport and then issue the immigrant visa to the name on the passport thus the name of the birth certificate will not be included but it is first important for it to match to the electronic form..
If your name in electronic form is the same name (including spelling) than your name in birth certificate, then they correct the name in DS-230 to the passport spelling and proceed with checks. Otherwise they most likely deny the visa even without correction in DS-230 and the checks.

Name check is part of administrative processing.

Consul has to correct the spelling during the interview.
In "other names" you have to put all other spellings of the same name as well.

If your name in electronic form is the same name (including spelling) than your name in birth certificate, then they correct the name in DS-230 to the passport spelling and proceed with checks. Otherwise they most likely deny the visa even without correction in DS-230 and the checks.

I quite really don't get it when you say "if your name in electronic form is the same name (including spelling) than your name in the birth certificate-----
did you want to type "with your name in the birthcertificate"

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite really don't get it when you say "if your name in electronic form is the same name (including spelling) than your name in the birth certificate-----
did you want to type "with your name in the birthcertificate"

You mean that even when i prove my birthcertificate and my electronic application matches but the different has a different letter at the end they will most likely deny me? why?

Her US driving license and SS number are as per her birth certificate. She has had her passport for several years and it's never been a problem (probably around 15 US visits and many other countries). Since getting the Green Card a few months ago, we have travelled out and back in to the USA several times and the name probem on her passport have not been an issue.

Will she apply for another passport to match the GC or what will happen if she has to travel??
I am also assuming she has other document In US like SSN and Driving License of which most probably match her passport so will she change them to match her GC or it does not matter?
MY problem is I will have to do CP and will have to stamp my passport the immigration visa so i am not sure if they can stamp the visa without h and passport has h. Any advise?
Again, am wondering will they have to do name check on me since i have been to that consular again and wrote my name with h since i was going as per the passport by then??

You mean that even when i prove my birthcertificate and my electronic application matches but the different has a different letter at the end they will most likely deny me? why?
Matches means they are exactly the same. A different letter means they do not match.

Matches means they are exactly the same. A different letter means they do not match.

What i mean is if i prove my birth certificate and my electronic application matches but the passport does not match, they will mostly deny me the visa?

Her US driving license and SS number are as per her birth certificate. She has had her passport for several years and it's never been a problem (probably around 15 US visits and many other countries). Since getting the Green Card a few months ago, we have travelled out and back in to the USA several times and the name probem on her passport have not been an issue.

I thought when you are applying for SSN and DL they go with what is on the passport?? How was she able to have the name as per her birth certificate? Again on the port entry, they don't ask how come her passport does not have the same spelling as per green card when she is entering US?

Most likely they will not deny you (your question was about denial). That means most likely they will grant you a visa.

Most likely they will not deny you (your question was about denial). That means most likely they will grant you a visa.

Thanks so much for your replies. Few more questions
1)Do you think this will involve the administrative processing?
2) The name on the visa will be as per the passport?

Evidently not, they have used the correct spelling as per Birth Certificate, not as per passport, which to me makes sense, else they are just continuing on with an error. I can't see any reason why they would not always just use the Birth certificate spelling, as no-one can say that is incorrect!

I thought when you are applying for SSN and DL they go with what is on the passport?? How was she able to have the name as per her birth certificate? Again on the port entry, they don't ask how come her passport does not have the same spelling as per green card when she is entering US?

Generally a person could have several passports with different spellings (dual national), but has only one birth certificate. We know some exceptions, though.

Thanks so much for your replies. Few more questions
1)Do you think this will involve the administrative processing?
2) The name on the visa will be as per the passport?

Thanks for your above answer. Please answer those two above questions. thanks again

Whether or not, that has nothing to do with the differences in names.
Yes.

Thanks so much for your help Raevsky. Do you mean that it is not necessarily my case with go through administrative processing because i have difference in names? so it might not??? i hope so since it takes so long.

Last edited by a moderator: