• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Name misspelling

Also, in case you have legally changed your name since birth (and have a document about it), but before sending the electronic form, that is gonna be fine.

Most likely your visa application will be denied. I am not aware of any way to prove it.

I thought with the new software of photos, they would have detected duplicate application on the photo. I read also in this forum, someone had the same problem with anne and ann and they did a name check and issued the visa. In my name h is silent. So basically that's why sometimes i do not indicate it but to explain that to the interviewer will be hard.The problem i have is that i have been to the CP again with my correct name spelling and fingerprinted and they will wonder why my name has changed and also that will mean changing all my documents including my SSN and DL in the states so it will be hard to convince them why i made a mistake.

I read also in this forum, someone had the same problem with anne and ann and they did a name check and issued the visa
Was the Roman spelling of the name in birth certificate there? Some birth certificates in some countries use native alphabet only, and do not have Roman spelling there. In that case the rule cannot be applied.
Are you talking about the message http://boards.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=1784754&postcount=7 ? It does not say about the name spelling in electronic form. If it is Ann as well (as in birth certificate), there should be no problems with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the facial recognition works.

2003:Used Facial Recognition (FR) technology to disqualify over 20,000 from the annual Diversity Visa lottery for filing duplicate entries

2004:Combating Visa Fraud
In November 2004, the Department established a fraud prevention unit at the Kentucky Consular Center to counter fraud in the Diversity Visa lottery program and with petition-based visas, such as temporary workers. The consular center provided background to support six formal fraud investigations and has returned 166 non-immigrant visa petitions to the Department of Homeland Security for revocation based on fraud indicators. The consular center continues to employ facial recognition technology as a tool against visa fraud, especially in the lottery program. In 2005, more than 7.5% of winning entries were disqualified as duplicate entries using facial recognition. Over 100,000 more duplicate entries were eliminated using facial recognition and “matching technologies” before the winners were selected.

KCC has made several improvements to its processing of the DV lottery entries to detect multiple entries and to screen cases for possible fraud indicators before they are sent to consular posts for adjudication. KCC piloted facial recognition software in 2001 and, in 2003, moved to an electronic application process, known as e-DV. Both facial recognition and e-DV improve KCC’s ability to detect multiple entries and to detect possible fraud indicators. Prior to this, the DV lottery was paper-based, which made it difficult for KCC employees to catch multiple entries. Now, all e-DV entries go through electronic and manual procedures to screen out ineligible entries. The entries are screened electronically for exact duplicate digital photographs or biographic information; exact duplicates are disqualified. Next, all principal applicant entries selected in the lottery are checked with facial recognition software against galleries (by region and by gender) drawn from the entire e-DV database to further eliminate duplicate entries based on photo matches. Possible matches are returned to KCC’s facial recognition technicians, who then make a determination on whether or not a valid match exists. KCC reported that it detected 7,622 multiple entries in 2005, 7,166 in 2006, and 3,969 in 2007. KCC’s fraud prevention manager attributed the decreasing number to the success of facial recognition software, suggesting that applicants and visa industry consultants were not submitting as many multiple entries because they had learned that KCC would detect and disqualify them
If KCC’s facial recognition technicians detect multiple entries before the entrant has been notified of being selected in the lottery, KCC will disqualify the entry and not notify the entrant of the disqualification. In the past, KCC disqualified the entrant and sent a disqualification letter to the entrant regardless of whether the entrant had already been sent a notification letter. Consular Affairs’ legal department requested KCC to cease disqualification of entrants who had already been notified as this could be perceived as an adjudicatory decision by KCC.36 KCC now forwards the information on the facial recognition match to the post so the consular officer can make the decision.
In addition to facial recognition software, KCC employees search for other fraud indicators as they collect additional documents from individuals selected in the lottery and prepare to send their cases to posts for adjudication. For example, they note, through “fraud flags,” if applicants (1) added a spouse or children to their case after being selected in the lottery, (2) if there were substantial changes to biographic details, or (3) if the applicant appeared in a different entry with different family members. In their scan of applicants selected in the 2005 DV program, KCC employees found 804 “pop-up” spouses or children; applicants from Ghana, Nigeria, and Ukraine had more “pop-ups” than any other country. KCC’s fraud flags are noted in both the electronic and hard copy files that are sent to posts, and several of the consular officers at the posts we reviewed said that the fraud flags were useful for their adjudication of DV cases. With the advent of e-DV it also became possible to provide an electronic comparison of the applicant’s lottery entry photograph to the photograph submitted with the visa application so that consular officers can review and compare these photographs. This process has assisted numerous posts in identification of imposters. Finally, in 2004, KCC hired a full-time fraud prevention manager, who oversees fraud prevention programs for both the DV program and petition-based nonimmigrant visa programs, which are also processed at the KCC. In commenting on this report, State mentioned some additional tools it uses to prevent DV fraud, such as fraud conferences and fraud prevention management training, which include DV patterns and issues.
It looks like they still use some measures on top of facial recognition. And it is very much possible the spell check is still utilized.

Well, the facial recognition works.

It looks like they still use some measures on top of facial recognition. And it is very much possible the spell check is still utilized.

The more I read on this forum, the more i am really getting confused on my case. For a minute, just yourself on my shoe and tell me what you would do if you had a situation like me. Thanks

Yes, that was my Wife.

Birth Certificate = Ann
Marriage certificate, L2 Visa and passport = Anne
We used 'Ann' on all application forms as the Birth Certificate is the correct version, just that most people when they copy it down seem to add an 'e' on the end.

Was the Roman spelling of the name in birth certificate there? Some birth certificates in some countries use native alphabet only, and do not have Roman spelling there. In that case the rule cannot be applied.
Are you talking about the message http://boards.immigration.com/showpost.php?p=1784754&postcount=7 ? It does not say about the name spelling in electronic form. If it is Ann as well (as in birth certificate), there should be no problems with that.

So, for your wife there was no difference between spelling of her name in birth certificate and in electronic entry form, right?

Correct - all the forms we filled in were as per her birth certificate (not as her passport).

So during the interview they did not ask you why the passport spelling was different? I am getting confused because some people say passport is the most important to match while others say birth certificate. Did she have to correct the passport later on inorder to match or what it just stayed the same with e and visa without?

The consul must correct the spelling in DS-230 form to the spelling in the passport, if it is different. The requirement of birth certificate to have exactly the same spelling as in the petition is very specific to DV lottery.

I had raised the issue of the name during a previous Infopass, and they just said the most important thing is to match with the Birth Certificate (not the passport) which make total sense. Otherwise all you are doing is making the error worse.

So during the interview they did not ask you why the passport spelling was different? I am getting confused because some people say passport is the most important to match while others say birth certificate. Did she have to correct the passport later on inorder to match or what it just stayed the same with e and visa without?

I had raised the issue of the name during a previous Infopass, and they just said the most important thing is to match with the Birth Certificate (not the passport) which make total sense. Otherwise all you are doing is making the error worse.

Thanks all of you for trying to help me in my case. if my birth certificate can spell correctly as per the electronic form (without h ) and the passport has H and and my college degrees has h can that be a problem? but my main dilemma is they will ask me how come i was at the consulate a couple of times with my passport with h and all my other documents including diploma have h of which i attended college in US and went with my name with H in my college degrees and i have never corrected it for like 10years ago when i got my first passport. I also got a SSN with H and DL with H and even at the port of entry In US i had my fingerprints taken with H. Will they do a name check with h and without h or what can happen? i am wondering will they correct the form DS 230 to read as per my passport if i prove my birth certificate marches with electronic application(without h) but passport is different and degrees (with h )? Will they go with what is on the passport (with h) according to orlandovillas after correcting form DS 230?

My Wife's education certificates also had E on the end of Ann. No-one ever questioned how come we didn't have the passport corrected after several years etc, and they seem to realise these name errors can occur. The main thing is whatever you do, you must ensure all your forms (entry form, I485 and all other forms) are as per your birth certificate as this is your real and correct name. The only exeption of course is if you have legally changed your name (marriage / deed poll etc) then you fill in the forms as per your new legal name.

Thanks all of you for trying to help me in my case. if my birth certificate can spell correctly as per the electronic form (without h ) and the passport has H and and my college degrees has h can that be a problem? but my main dilemma is they will ask me how come i was at the consulate a couple of times with my passport with h and all my other documents including diploma have h of which i attended college in US and went with my name with H in my college degrees and i have never corrected it for like 10years ago when i got my first passport. I also got a SSN with H and DL with H and even at the port of entry In US i had my fingerprints taken with H. Will they do a name check with h and without h or what can happen? i am wondering will they correct the form DS 230 to read as per my passport if i prove my birth certificate marches with electronic application(without h) but passport is different and degrees (with h )? Will they go with what is on the passport (with h) according to orlandovillas after correcting form DS 230?

My Wife's education certificates also had E on the end of Ann. No-one ever questioned how come we didn't have the passport corrected after several years etc, and they seem to realise these name errors can occur. The main thing is whatever you do, you must ensure all your forms (entry form, I485 and all other forms) are as per your birth certificate as this is your real and correct name. The only exeption of course is if you have legally changed your name (marriage / deed poll etc) then you fill in the forms as per your new legal name.

Thanks so much for your advise. What do you mean by entry form and 1485 and all other forms?
So when they issued the visa did they correct the visa as per the passport or per the birth certificate?

We did AOS so had to send in various other forms. My wife's Green Card was produced as per her legal name not as per the error on her passport.

As they do not put a visa in the passport on AOS perhaps it's not such a big deal if the passport has an error in the name.

Thanks so much for your advise. What do you mean by entry form and 1485 and all other forms?
So when they issued the visa did they correct the visa as per the passport or per the birth certificate?

We did AOS so had to send in various other forms. My wife's Green Card was produced as per her legal name not as per the error on her passport.

As they do not put a visa in the passport on AOS perhaps it's not such a big deal if the passport has an error in the name.

Will she apply for another passport to match the GC or what will happen if she has to travel??
I am also assuming she has other document In US like SSN and Driving License of which most probably match her passport so will she change them to match her GC or it does not matter?
MY problem is I will have to do CP and will have to stamp my passport the immigration visa so i am not sure if they can stamp the visa without h and passport has h. Any advise?
Again, am wondering will they have to do name check on me since i have been to that consular again and wrote my name with h since i was going as per the passport by then??