N400 Timeline: Houston, TEXAS

Shopfree4pc,

Wow, I am impressed with how fast your case is progressing. We have identical priority dates. Wish you continued success....

Regarding my biometrics, I did my biometrics on April 3rd, 2009, but it was for an I-131 (travel document). I've been told that the biometrics are very case dependent, in other words if it was done for an I-131, then you would have to do it again for the N-400. Any ideas if that is really the case?

Also, how long did your status remain like what I posted? Did it change after a couple of days.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks................GCBoard

My updated timeline

My N400 info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/17/2009: mailed N-400
02/20/2009: Priority Date
03/12/2009: Fingerprint Notice
03/16/0000: FP taken (walk-in)
04/04/2009: Interview letter
05/14/2009: Interview Date(Finished successfully)
06/10/2009: Oath scheduled

My friends N400 info:

02/7/2009: mailed N-400
02/10/2009: Priority Date
03/4/2009: Fingerprint Notice
03/19/0000: FP taken
03/26/2009: Interview letter
05/12/2009: Interview Date (Finished successfully)
06/10/2009: Oath scheduled

FP completed today, walk-in at South West center. Interview letter next :)
----------
DO Houston
4/7/2009: PD
4/15/2009: NOA received
5/11/2009: FP notice received
5/15/2009: Finger print done
x/xx/2009: IL ?

interview

On 5.12 I had my interview at the Houston DO.
I was scheduled for 8.30. I got there at 7.50; the nat. waiting area was fairly crowded.
There is box where one should place the interview letter. They constantly pick up the letters and pull and line up the files for interview.
The interview is in two parts, an officer called my name at 8.30 sharp and took me to a cubicle for the Civics test. He had a sheet from which he asked the questions. The questions are from the book.
He asked:
What group of people was taken to America as slaves
Why did the colonists fight the British
Who makes the laws
What is the highest court in the country
Who is the Vice President now
Why did the colonists came to America

Then there is another piece of paper from which he made me read
Who can vote
and instructed me to write
Citizens can vote

After that he congratulated for passing and told me to go back to the waiting area.

At 9.00 I was called by an IO for the interview.
He asked all the questions and information on the N-400 form.
Then he asked if I owed taxes. I said no. Then asked if I had a copy of the most recent tax return. I did not. He said it did not matter.

He told me that I was approved and to go back to wait for the oath letter.
It took 15 min.
They gave me the oath letter at 9.50.

Oath Ceremony

Hello All,

I had my interview on April 27th and the officer told me that my oath ceremony will be on June 10th here in Houston TX. I have seen few members mentioning in their timeline that their oath ceremony date is June 10th too. Did u guys get the letter when you guys interviewed or did u get in the mail. I have yet to have that oath ceremony paper in my hands. Just panicing. Please let me know if you guys got the paper right away or was this something told to you verbally. Thanks!!

They gave me the oath letter at the interview.
I understand that some did not receive it at the interview but rather by mail.
I was not able to determine whether everybody who was there with me received the letter.

Hello All,

I had my interview on April 27th and the officer told me that my oath ceremony will be on June 10th here in Houston TX. I have seen few members mentioning in their timeline that their oath ceremony date is June 10th too. Did u guys get the letter when you guys interviewed or did u get in the mail. I have yet to have that oath ceremony paper in my hands. Just panicing. Please let me know if you guys got the paper right away or was this something told to you verbally. Thanks!!

Itahou- Thanks for sharing your experience and contribution to Houston thread. All the best!

---------------
Houston DO
Employment based GC - 7/2004
4/7/2009: N-400 Priority date
4/15/2009: N-400 receipt
5/11/2009: FP notice
5/15/2009: FP Done (Walk in- Original sch 5/28)
x/xx/2009: IL

Hello All,

I received my oath letter 20 minutes after the interview. Is it possible that you left the building, before they can had you the letter? I would suggest you to go the the CIS office again and ask them

Both me and my wife had the interview on the same day and time at 1:30 p.m. on 5.14.09.
We reached there about 20 minutes before time. We had to go through security first.

After that we went to the Naturalization section and placed our letters in the basket kept at
the appointment counter. Although, our appointment was at 1:30 p.m., I was called at 1:15 p.m.
and my wife was called at about 1:20 p.m.

The Houston office seems to divide the interview into three parts -

a. Civics and Engish tests
b. Review of your history
c. Oath letter distribution

The officer that conducted my interview at 1:15 p.m. clearly stated that we will have our
civics interview first and then we will have another interview to verify the N400 application
details.

Then he asked me six questions:

a. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted ?
b. Who were there before the Europeans arrived ?
c. Who is the present speaker of the House ?
d. Name one of the two longest rivers in the U.S. ?
e. What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Consitution ?
f. We elect the President for how many years ?

After I gave the right answers to the above questions, he stopped and asked me to read a
sentence that stated "Abraham Lincoln was a President". Then he asked me to write
"Abraham Lincoln was President during the Civil War"

For my wife, they had 8 questions. I remember a couple of them:

a. What did the Declaration of Independence do ?
b. What happens when both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve ?
c. How many justices are there in the Supreme COurt ?

Interestingly enough, none of the questions that I was asked overlapped with that of my wife's.

The civics test was done in about 5 minutes. Then I had to wait in the Naturalization Waiting area till
about 1:30 p.m.

The Immigration Officer asked me to take the oath and then be seated. Although, I had the entire set of
documents ready, including the birth certificates for our kids, I was not asked to produce anything. He
reviewed the details that I had provided and asked me if I owed any taxes. He also asked the name of the
company that I worked for and what we did. He went over the criminal sections of the N400 application.

Then he said that I was approved. The entire process took about 10 minutes. In my wife's case, the IO asked
for the tax transcripts and was happy to know that she had the copies of our childrens' birth certificates.
In about 15-20 minutes, she was approved.

After that, we had to wait in the Naturalization Waiting area again.

We were called at about 2:15 p.m. and handed our oath papers for June 10th at the M.O. Campbell Center.

I thank all the members of this forum for providing us with the details to get us ready for the interview.

Date Appl. sent : 11-FEB-09
Priority Date : 13-FEB-09
Notice sent : 21-FEB-09
Fingerprint Ntc : 28-FEB-09
Fingerprint Dt : 21-MAR-09
Interview Ltr Dt: 28-MAR-09
Interview Dt : 14-MAY-09
Oath Info Dt : 14-MAY-09
Oath Dt : 10-JUN-09

Guys,

As you had guessed, I received my IL yesterday. USCIS indeed skipped FP notice as they had very recent biometrics. My info is updated:

04/03/2009: Notice Date
XX/XX/XXXX: Fingerprint Notice
05/19/2009: Interview Letter
06/23/2009: Interview Date

Both me and my wife had the interview on the same day and time at 1:30 p.m. on 5.14.09.
We reached there about 20 minutes before time. We had to go through security first.

After that we went to the Naturalization section and placed our letters in the basket kept at
the appointment counter. Although, our appointment was at 1:30 p.m., I was called at 1:15 p.m.
and my wife was called at about 1:20 p.m.

The Houston office seems to divide the interview into three parts -

a. Civics and Engish tests
b. Review of your history
c. Oath letter distribution

The officer that conducted my interview at 1:15 p.m. clearly stated that we will have our
civics interview first and then we will have another interview to verify the N400 application
details.

Then he asked me six questions:

a. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted ?
b. Who were there before the Europeans arrived ?
c. Who is the present speaker of the House ?
d. Name one of the two longest rivers in the U.S. ?
e. What do we call the first 10 amendments to the Consitution ?
f. We elect the President for how many years ?

After I gave the right answers to the above questions, he stopped and asked me to read a
sentence that stated "Abraham Lincoln was a President". Then he asked me to write
"Abraham Lincoln was President during the Civil War"

For my wife, they had 8 questions. I remember a couple of them:

a. What did the Declaration of Independence do ?
b. What happens when both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve ?
c. How many justices are there in the Supreme COurt ?

Interestingly enough, none of the questions that I was asked overlapped with that of my wife's.

The civics test was done in about 5 minutes. Then I had to wait in the Naturalization Waiting area till
about 1:30 p.m.

The Immigration Officer asked me to take the oath and then be seated. Although, I had the entire set of
documents ready, including the birth certificates for our kids, I was not asked to produce anything. He
reviewed the details that I had provided and asked me if I owed any taxes. He also asked the name of the
company that I worked for and what we did. He went over the criminal sections of the N400 application.

Then he said that I was approved. The entire process took about 10 minutes. In my wife's case, the IO asked
for the tax transcripts and was happy to know that she had the copies of our childrens' birth certificates.
In about 15-20 minutes, she was approved.

After that, we had to wait in the Naturalization Waiting area again.

We were called at about 2:15 p.m. and handed our oath papers for June 10th at the M.O. Campbell Center.

I thank all the members of this forum for providing us with the details to get us ready for the interview.

Date Appl. sent : 11-FEB-09
Priority Date : 13-FEB-09
Notice sent : 21-FEB-09
Fingerprint Ntc : 28-FEB-09
Fingerprint Dt : 21-MAR-09
Interview Ltr Dt: 28-MAR-09
Interview Dt : 14-MAY-09
Oath Info Dt : 14-MAY-09
Oath Dt : 10-JUN-09

Congratulations..thanks for sharing detailed experience.:)

GCBoard- You must be relaxed now... Best of luck with your intervew.

-------------------
Employment based GC (2004)
DO Houston
4/7/2009: N-400 Priority Date
4/15/2009: NOA received
5/11/2009: FP Notice
5/15/2009: FP Done (Walk in)
x/xx/2009: IL (Next)

Firstimmigrant,

Thanks, it sure does feel better.

Question to all:

From this thread it seems that Oath dates in Houston are around July 8th (or 9th) and August 12th. If my interview is on 6/23 is there any rule of thumb as to which oath date I would get? I only ask this because I am making some travel plans.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks guys,
GCBoard

Valtom- You might be able to do your oath on July 8th.... Let's hope for the best!

--------------------
4/7/2009: N-400 Priority Date
4/15/2009: NOA - N400 receipt
5/11/2009: FP Notice
5/15/2009: FP Done (Walk in, Scheduled for 5/28)
x/xx/2009: IL (Pending

Hi nelsonyiga -

I would not be too worried. When I was interviewed they asked me for my birth date, complete address and phone number.
Then they went on very quickly with the Yes/No questions (ever been arrested? ever advocated the violent overthrow of a government? and so on), they asked me if I still worked at the same place, if I owed any taxes and if I had a copy of my last tax return, which I did not have. They said "it's ok, but you do not owe taxes, right?; OK.")

I think that if you just answer the question honestly, as you did when you applied you will be just fine. Do not loose any sleep over it.

I received the oath letter at the end of the interview.

Good luck !

My Interview too is on May 29th, at Houston DO.
I have gone through all questions which I feel I am comfortable answering but I have not known what questions that are asked on the application because I did forget everything I filled and I did lose the application I had kept.
Anyone that has been there should tell us what questions are normally asked on the application form so I can try to remember them.
Are they verifying information you posted on the application or information other than that?

Just want to know and also, it seems like everyone gets the oath letter same day! Is that true!

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in the same situation as you. Interview date is 06/05 and want to make travel plans depending on the oath date. Since, the oath date is not certain, we have decided to delay travel plans...missing a scheduled oath dates is sure to cause lots of complications.

Firstimmigrant,

Thanks, it sure does feel better.

Question to all:

From this thread it seems that Oath dates in Houston are around July 8th (or 9th) and August 12th. If my interview is on 6/23 is there any rule of thumb as to which oath date I would get? I only ask this because I am making some travel plans.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks guys,
GCBoard

Received yellow letter for wife, letter says to bring "State drivers license".

Questions:
a) Don't know why they sent my wife's yellow ltr but not mine? Same PD 4/7/09
b) When do you get interview letter after yellow letter?

Thanks all-

----------------------
Employment based GC (2004)
4/7/2009: N-400 PD
4/15/2009: NOA - Application receipt
5/11/2009: FP notice
5/15/2009: FP done
5/23/2009: Yellow letter (Wife)
x/xx/2009: IL (Pending)

Hello,

I have completed my fingerprints on 5/19. I have notcied some of you saying that they have been fingerprinted and cleared. How do you know guys that you have been cleared?