N400 Timeline: Houston, TEXAS

I have not recieved anything since the yellow letter (which says I have to bring my driver's license) on may 30th.
I called USCIS last week and told them I can't access my application status only (it is giving a validation error) they transfered me to a guy who told me that I have an interview date on 7/16 and he confirmed my mailing address and was surprised that I did not recieve my interview letter yet. He told me I should receive it anytime soon.

I called again today, another guy told me that my case is pending. I told him about the interview letter and about my last week call. He said all he can say is that my case is pending.

Now I do not know what to do with this conflicting information.... who to believe? and why they are giving conflicting information. :confused:

I think my interview letter should have been recieved by now if my interview date is 7/16. I am confused I do not Know.:(

Woodlands_Imm- You should be getting the interview letter by the end of this week, It takes USCIS 5 days to mail the letter.. Don't worry about Yellow letter. Your PD is before mine and my interview date is 7/17 so you should be good for 7/16.

-------------------
Houston DO
4/07/2009: N-400 PD
4/15/2009: NOA Application received
5/11/2009: FP notice
5/15/2009: FP done (Early walk-in, was scheduld for 5/28)
5/30/2009: IL received
7/17/2009: Interview scheduled --- Next
8/12/2009: (Oath date - Assumed)

First immigrant, thanks for your response.

I called USCIS again today and I got more detailed information. The customer service told me that my interview letter was issued May 27th. He said there should be something wrong since I did not receive it yet. He verified the mailing address and said that it is correct. He asked me to request an Info pass appointment with houston D/O since they are the ones that issue interview letters.

Did anybody go through this before? If the letter is issued since 2 weeks, why I have not recieved it yet?

If i called houston D/O, are they going to give me any information?

itahou- Congratulations on becoming US citizen :)

How was the ceremony? Sounds like Houston DO is only having oath ceremonies once a month?

Oath taken 10 June 2009

Me and my wife took the oath today in the M.O Campbell center.

Per the oath the letter were asked to come at 7am. Since we knew there would be a big crowd we did n't arrive at the center until 7.30am. By that time the majority of the crowd had gone into the building. They had all the people distributed across the east and west entrances.

As you enter the building, you had to check in at a desk (organized by last three digits of the A#) where they check the answers to the questions on the back of the oath letter. they also ask you to verify the details on the naturalization certificate and collect your green card. They then write your A# on a piece of colored card that you need to present after the oath is complete to collect the naturalization certificate. Each person was given a different colored card based on when you completed the check in. For us, this check in process was completed by 8am.

The center was mostly full when we entered and we found couple of seats in one of the top rows and so were seated by 8.15am. After this, it was waiting time. At 9am, a lady came addressed and outline the procedure.

The judge did not come until 9.45am and the actual ceremony did not start until 10am. The judge explained that the center was now a court and started the proceedings. An USCIS representative moved that the applicants be administered the oath. The representative pointed out that 2094 applicants representing 121 different nationalities were going to be taking oath that day. The judge asked some questions to confirm that the law has been followed. Later, the judge explained the oath that was being administered and the oath was promptly taken around 10.15am.

Richard Alderman, a prominent attorney, was the guest speaker - Made a good speech.

The court was adjourned around 10.40am. Both the judge and the guest speaker were present to take pictures with the new citizens, which we promptly stood in line to take a picture.

As people were standing in line to take the picture, hey called each colored card in sequence (Grey, green..etc) to come collect the certificate. Since we entered around 8am, they did not call our color until 11.15am and by then we had taken a picture with the judge.

We left the center as proud US Citizens around 11.25am.

Long long journey comes to an end....I don't have to mess with immigration status, change of address etc etc any more....

itahou- Congratulations on becoming US citizen :)

How was the ceremony? Sounds like Houston DO is only having oath ceremonies once a month?

The ceremony was good. There was a lot of waiting.

The oath the letter indicated 7am. Since I did nto want to be late I showed up at 6.30. They opened the doors just about them They had all the people distributed across the east and west entrances based on the last 3 digits of the A#.

In the lobby they had set up tables for check in. divided by A# in groups of 100 (100-199; 200-299 etc). The check in is very fast, They collect the green card, ask if anything has changed from the time of the interview (in my case I had traveled out of the country, but they did not care) and ask you to verify the birth date, country of birth and the spelling of the name on the certificate. Each person was given a different colored card based on when you completed the check in.

I went into the venue (which is basketball stadium) sat and waited. And waited, and then waited some more.

The judge did not show up until 9.45am and the ceremony did not start until 10am. The judge explained that the center was now a court and started the proceedings. A detail of US Marines did the Presentation of Colors. And then they went thru the naturalization. The USCIS deputy district director requested that the applicant be granted naturalization. The representative pointed out that 2094 applicants representing 121 different nationalities were present, some applicant scheduled for today were absent and she asked the judge to grant a continuance for them. Without objections it was granted . After some more questions from the judge he said that things seem in order and he explained the meaning of the oath. He asked if we were willing to take the oath and than administered it.

He made a brief speech, introduced a few people and than introduced a guest speaker: Richard Alderman, dean of the U of H law school who made a brief (fora lawyer) speech.

After the oath was administered some people passed out voter registration cards, and if you filled them in there they also collected them for filing.

The court was adjourned at 10.40am. Both the judge and the guest speaker were present to take pictures with the new citizens. People line up.

I made my way out of the building, collected the naturalization certificate and went downtown to the federal building to apply for a passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
My updated timeline

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My N400 info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

02/17/2009: mailed N-400
02/20/2009: Priority Date
03/12/2009: Fingerprint Notice
03/16/0000: FP taken (walk-in)
04/04/2009: Interview letter
05/14/2009: Interview Date(Finished successfully)
06/10/2009: Oath succesfully completed

I am now a US Citizen:D

My friends N400 info:

02/7/2009: mailed N-400
02/10/2009: Priority Date
03/4/2009: Fingerprint Notice
03/19/0000: FP taken
03/26/2009: Interview letter
05/12/2009: Interview Date (Finished successfully)
06/10/2009: Oath succesful completed

itahou, gcasap and stuck_in_a_hole--------- Congratulations on becoming a US Citizen.... Cool.

Itahou- What evidence you used to get the passport in a day, i assumed you scheduled your appointment ahead of time?

itahou, gcasap and stuck_in_a_hole--------- Congratulations on becoming a US Citizen.... Cool.

Itahou- What evidence you used to get the passport in a day, i assumed you scheduled your appointment ahead of time?

Correct: I scheduled the appointment at the beginning of the week. I had a non refundable airline ticked and a letter from my employer stating that I needed to travel on those dates for business reasons and that missing my trip would have caused considerable financial damage to my company. That was sufficient and they gave me the passport on thusday for my trip on Saturday. However a couple with a ticked to Cancun who was in line in front of me was told they would get it in a week. So perhaps next day is only for business or emergency, not holidays.

Successful Interview on 6/12/09

03/12/2009: mailed N-400, UPS with Tracking
03/13/2009: Received by TSC
03/21/2009: Check Cashed
03/13/2009: Priority Date
03/21/2009: Notice Date
03/23/2009: NOA received
04/14/2009: Fingerprint Notice
04/25/2009: FP taken
05/05/2009: Interview letter
06/12/2009: Interview Date - *Success*:D
07/08/2009: Oath

We were scheduled for interview at 1:30 pm but walked in around 12:45 and after going through the security checks dropped our letters in the tray.
I was called within 10 min and was asked by the IO for showing my GC and DL. I still had my previous state DL and she quizzed me on as to why I had not changed my DL and I mentioned that I travel a lot and still had a home in the previous state.
She then proceeded to ask the questions and it seemed like a rapid fire session:rolleyes::rolleyes:
The questions were -
1. What is the pledge of allegiance
2. Where is the statue of liberty located
3. Who is the governor
4. Who led the civil rights movement
5. Two national holidays
6. When was the constitution written.

It took less than 5 min and I was asked to wait for the next interview.

My wife was called in and her process also took about 5 min.
Questions were very simple.

We both waited for about 30 min and I was called in and the IO went through the N-400 application and while going through said that we should be done in the next 5 min.
Asked couple of standard questions around -
Have you always filed your taxes
What is your home phone number
Why do you travel so much

He asked me to sign on the two PP size pictures and said that he is going to recommend my case and said that next Oath ceremony was scheduled on July 8th. He asked me to be patient and walked me back to the outside waiting area.

Wife was called within 5 min of me going back and had a similar experience.

I got the oath letter within 30 min and while we waited for my wife's for the next 45 min, no one showed up. Finally we got hold of someone and they mentioned that they missed her letter and the office was closed and they will mail her oath letter:(

All in all a very pleasant experience and I thank all members on this forum for their valuable insight and time in sharing their experiences.

After not recieving my interview letter by mail. I went to an Info Pass appointment today at Houston office. They printed the interview letter for me. My interview is on July 16th :D

Got both my NOA and FP letter today. I'm probably the living example of how inefficient USPS is:

05/26/09 N-400 received by USCIS
05/29/09 USCIS mailed NOA received 06/22/09 :)mad:)
06/05/09 USCIS mailed FP appointment received 06/22/09 :)confused:)
06/30/09 FP appointment

I noticed that CIS uses standard mailing fee ($.36) not first class.

Last edited by a moderator: