N400 Timeline: Houston, TEXAS

Hey everybody,
I was very surprised to receive my receipt and FP appoinment the same day = Today...It seems things are going faster than expected...I hope its not only a dream...

Interviewed today 03/28/08 and got oath for 04/02/08

I had my citizenship interview today Friday, March 28, 2008 in the morning and was the last one to get in on the April 2, 2008 oath ceremony. They are now doing April 30, 2008. I waited and got my oath letter and had a very pleasant experience with the USCIS staff and management - thanks USCIS Houston!

Folks,who had their interview in Houston already,i have a question
I have a few changes to make on my original application ,and is it possible to bring a complitely new form n -400 with me on my interview and exchange it for that one I sent at the beggining?
Or in Houston they work only with the original sent form(make all correction on it)?

thank you very much

Folks,who had their interview in Houston already,i have a question
I have a few changes to make on my original application ,and is it possible to bring a complitely new form n -400 with me on my interview and exchange it for that one I sent at the beggining?
Or in Houston they work only with the original sent form(make all correction on it)?

thank you very much
They work with the one you submitted and handwrite in corrections. They can substitute pages but when I went yesterday they just did handwritten changes. Then on the last page the one that you sign again the one with the oath words above that is a section stating something about corrections numbered 1 through ___ where they fill in the blank with the number of handwritten corrections.

And really if you have that many corrections for your N-400 form that you want a whole new app to be substituted in I am thinking you are either panic'ing too much or made a huge amount of mistakes. If it is panic don't worry I was like you debating on what I had put in until the bitter end the day before (with regards to traffic citations including or not) and in the end they were ok with what I had and just made a small handwritten addition about what I said during the interview with regards to those citations. Don't sweat it - just be honest and you will be fine. Answer what they ask. Now if the case here was really because you have a huge amount of errors then I don't know what to say - maybe have the whole app ready to substitute or at least weed it down to the minimum amount of pages to substitute in. It will save them hadnwriting in corrections but it may make them leary of you as to why your whole app needs to be corrected. I think what will happen though is they will just do smaller summary corrections handwritten in and not to worry. Really if you have gotten this far and you have your interview scheduled then FBI has cleared you and the only changes are going to be name, address, marital, children, employer, etc - no biggie.

Best of luck to you.

Texascanuck,thank you so much for your answer and congrats with a great experience of the interview .
My interview is going to be in 3 weeks and i'm really scared right now. The reason is I foggot to mention my middle name on the original form and I 'll have to do it during the interview. And i'm afraid it will cause me another name check and delay all my process.
other littel changes is really not a big deal-additional trip and add a stepchild on my form ,which I didn't know I had to put on the form at the beggining.But not putting my middle name is really bringing me close to panic.
Thank you so much

Hello,

I've heard that sometimes the oath is administered the same day as the interview. Is this true? If yes, can one request this to be done? What is the procedure? I will have to travel to Houston for my interview and am hoping to avoid making a second trip just for the swearing-in, if I can. I have very young kids and finding childcare while I'm away is difficult.

Also, how long does it take to get a passport if it is expedited?

Thanks,
Mayor

weird

Did anyone check the n-400 processing times about last week on uscis website? I could of sworn it said processing July 20, 2007. I checked back today because my case was filed July 23, 2007 and the website has June 20, 2007. Maybe all this immigration and desperate searching on the internet has warped my mind. Can anyone concur my delusions?

Did anyone check the n-400 processing times about last week on uscis website? I could of sworn it said processing July 20, 2007. I checked back today because my case was filed July 23, 2007 and the website has June 20, 2007. Maybe all this immigration and desperate searching on the internet has warped my mind. Can anyone concur my delusions?

Some DOs did see their processing times retrogress by a few weeks between the February and March updates.

overseas

need some help...we applied for my wife's citizenship on July 23, 2007 (PD). She had her fingerprints done in November. We are currently residing abroad because of my work, and we just had a baby 3 weeks ago. My question: Is the 6 month entry into the US still a requirement after you have submitted n-400 application?? The thing is we never expected it taking this long to get her citizenship, traveling back to the US every 6 months is very costly, I was hoping to do it next when would get the interview letter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

need some help...we applied for my wife's citizenship on July 23, 2007 (PD). She had her fingerprints done in November. We are currently residing abroad because of my work, and we just had a baby 3 weeks ago. My question: Is the 6 month entry into the US still a requirement after you have submitted n-400 application?? The thing is we never expected it taking this long to get her citizenship, traveling back to the US every 6 months is very costly, I was hoping to do it next when would get the interview letter. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunately, yes, it is still a requirement. To maintain status, your wife will have to come back within 6 months. She could also send in the other form (I think it is the N-470) in the event that she can't come back - financial reasons, infant, etc. Most websites advise that submission of the N-470 does not mean that you cannot lose your continuous residence. See below an excerpt:

Question #4: What constitutes "continuous residency" for the purpose of naturalization?

Carl Shusterman: In order for your residence to be continuous for naturalization purposes, your permanent place of abode must remain in the United States . If you leave the United States , for a trip of less than six months, normally your place of abode is not affected. However, if you depart the United States for over six months, but under one year, the law raises a rebuttable presumption that you have abandoned your residence in the United States . Since the presumption is rebuttable, it is up to you to prove to the INS official who inspects you upon your return to the US that that the purpose of your trip was always meant to be temporary.

If you depart the United States , for one year or more, the presumption of abandonment becomes conclusive.

In order to avoid this and establish the presumption that your trip abroad was temporary, you should apply for a Re-entry Permit (Form I-131) before you leave the United States . Possession of a Re-entry Permit allows you to remain outside the United States for up to two years without losing your green card. However, what many people do not realize, is that even the possession of a Re-entry Permit, does not prevent you from breaking your residence for naturalization purposes.

Hello,

I've heard that sometimes the oath is administered the same day as the interview. Is this true? If yes, can one request this to be done? What is the procedure? I will have to travel to Houston for my interview and am hoping to avoid making a second trip just for the swearing-in, if I can. I have very young kids and finding childcare while I'm away is difficult.

Also, how long does it take to get a passport if it is expedited?

Thanks,
Mayor

I hope it's not too late for my answer . There are only a few cities in the US where you can have the oath the same day as the interview. Unfortunately, Houston DO doen't have it. But they run the oath almost each month. there is a schegule here for the coming months
• April 30th at the Houston Field Office

• June 12th at the Houston Field Office

• June 25th at the Houston Field Office

• July 2nd at the Houston Field Office

• August 27th at the Houston Field Office
Good luck

I hope it's not too late for my answer . There are only a few cities in the US where you can have the oath the same day as the interview. Unfortunately, Houston DO doen't have it. But they run the oath almost each month. there is a schegule here for the coming months
• April 30th at the Houston Field Office

• June 25th at the Houston Field Office

• July 2nd at the Houston Field Office

• August 27th at the Houston Field Office
Good luck

No, not too late. Thank you. The best I can do is to hope I will be asked to take the oath as soon as possible.

Houston Oath Ceremony in June?

Has anyone received an Oath Letter for the June 12th Oath Ceremony in Houston? I interviewed at the Houston DO on April 28th and the immigration officer approved my application and said that I would likely be scheduled for the June 12th ceremony.

I am posting my timeline below. As you can see my naturalization application has moved fairly quickly - about 7 months total projected time.

TSC/Houston DO
Application sent: Nov. 24/07
Fingerprints taken: Feb. 19/08
Interview: April 28/08
Oath Date: ?

Received Oath Letter!

Finally got it, 126 North Greenspoint Dr. on May 28.
:)

I speculate that I am being called to the regular office for a small group make-up ceremony for those who passed their interview more than 90 days ago and who live in districts where no ceremonies are scheduled anytime soon.

Does anybody here know of any details on taking the oath at this office?

Hi vision1227,

Any updates on your wife's interview call? I too work overseas and was wondering if you had talked to a lawyer to check if you could leave the country for upto 6 months after applying for the citizeship. The lawyer i spoke to, said you could only leave a month at a time, which I did not quite believe. Please confirm.

Also, I thought that the fingerprint call usually come within a month of applying. Any reason why your wife's took so long?

Thanks.

I am wondering if there is any one else on this forum who is in the same boat. I applied (N-400) in Jan 08. Finger printed in Feb 08. I haven't heard any thing back from USCIS ever since.

I am wondering if there is any one else on this forum who is in the same boat. I applied (N-400) in Jan 08. Finger printed in Feb 08. I haven't heard any thing back from USCIS ever since.

I sent my N-400 form back in March 2006, got my FP done within three weeks, and went for an interview in early May, 2006, which I passed except that my name check was not completed. Then nothing from USCIS for nearly two years. I called the Service Center many times, went for an Infopas at least 5 times, wrote to the senators, first lady, etc - the response was always the same (when I got any response) "name check is not completed." Then in response to my recent status update request, USCIS sent me a letter that "my name check has been cleared" as of 4/11/2008 and that I should be now expecting my interview letter (although I already had my interview in 2006). Within a week or so of that letter, I got second FP appointment on 5/3/2008 since my original FP done in March 2006 were experied. When I went yet for another Infopas just before my second FP, I was told that if I already had the interview, I would not be needing another. But then who knows?

My time line:

N-400 sent 03/02/2006
first FP late March 2006
interview 05/03/2006
NC cleared 04/11/2008
second FP 05/03/2008
possible second interview ????
oath ?????

(SNIP)

Thanks for posting this! Can you tell me where you got it, or a way that I can verify the time of the ceremony? My wife had her interview on May 6 and was told she should be scheduled for June 12 in Houston. I need to travel to the east coast that day, and need to book travel now - don't know how late of a flight I should get to still be with her for this process. Can't wait much longer for the letter, which I imagine would have the time in it.

James

My wife was interviewed on May 6 and was told June 12, also. No letter here yet either. I'll post again when it arrives...

James

Has anyone received an Oath Letter for the June 12th Oath Ceremony in Houston? I interviewed at the Houston DO on April 28th and the immigration officer approved my application and said that I would likely be scheduled for the June 12th ceremony.

I am posting my timeline below. As you can see my naturalization application has moved fairly quickly - about 7 months total projected time.

TSC/Houston DO
Application sent: Nov. 24/07
Fingerprints taken: Feb. 19/08
Interview: April 28/08
Oath Date: ?

My time line:

N-400 sent 03/02/2006
first FP late March 2006
interview 05/03/2006
NC cleared 04/11/2008
second FP 05/03/2008
possible second interview ????
oath ?????

Wow man... I feel for u... two years and no oath... there should be some accountability in USCIS... All the best. I hope they just invite you for oath and not let their stupidity come in the way of common sense. Repeating interview would be just crazy.