N400 Timeline: Houston, TEXAS

Houston Oath Cermonies

Thanks for posting this! Can you tell me where you got it, or a way that I can verify the time of the ceremony? My wife had her interview on May 6 and was told she should be scheduled for June 12 in Houston. I need to travel to the east coast that day, and need to book travel now - don't know how late of a flight I should get to still be with her for this process. Can't wait much longer for the letter, which I imagine would have the time in it.

James

James,
Here is the link to the Houston Oath ceremonies scheduled for 2008. Unfortunately, the webpage does not specify the times.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?a...tor.office_type=LO&OfficeLocator.statecode=TX

Time of June 12th Oath Ceremony

James,
Here is the link to the Houston Oath ceremonies scheduled for 2008. Unfortunately, the webpage does not specify the times.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?a...tor.office_type=LO&OfficeLocator.statecode=TX

An acquaintance of mine received his Oath Ceremony letter on May 19th for the June 12th Oath Ceremony in Houston. His letter stated that he should arrive at 7:00 AM.

I have not received an Oath letter as yet. Anyone else for June 12th?

No news yet

Hi vision1227,

Any updates on your wife's interview call? I too work overseas and was wondering if you had talked to a lawyer to check if you could leave the country for upto 6 months after applying for the citizeship. The lawyer i spoke to, said you could only leave a month at a time, which I did not quite believe. Please confirm.

Also, I thought that the fingerprint call usually come within a month of applying. Any reason why your wife's took so long?

Thanks.

Regarding the one month at a time, i don't know what trip that lawyer is on, I called INS helpline, they told me, try not to break your continuous residency. That is the 6 month thing. Anyhow, no interview as of yet, this is getting ridiculous. Costing me a fortune and so much frustration having her fly back and forth with my two young kids.

Interview date finally received

Ironically June 27th. Hopefully can get into the July 2nd Oath.

Another question, someone once told me that new US citizens are suppose to physically reside in the US for the first year. Can someone tell me if this is a myth?

Thanks.

Oath Letter Received

My wife was interviewed on May 6 and was told June 12, also. No letter here yet either. I'll post again when it arrives...

James

I received my Oath letter on Saturday, May 24th for the June 12th Ceremony in Houston.

My timeline is as follows:

TSC/Houston DO
Application sent: Nov. 24/07
Fingerprints taken: Feb. 19/08
Interview: April 28/08
Oath Letter Received: May 24/08
Oath Date: June 12/08

6.5 Months from Application to U.S. Citizen!:D

Crossed the finish line!

A long and sometimes bumpy journey has come to an end. :D
Applying for passport and registering to vote tomorrow!

I was right in guessing that this was a special session held at the regular office on 126 Northpoint Dr. Only people from the Beaumont-Port Arthur area were present, about 100 people taking the oath.
I received my letter almost to the day 90 days after my interview so if you have waited for an oath letter for some time and you live in the golden triangle area, chances are you will attend a ceremony of this format as the Beaumont courthouse only schedules oaths very infrequently.

The ceremony started 15 minutes late and lasted 35 minutes.

Cameras and cell phones were permitted, most people had dressed properly but not all and it didn't seem to matter.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath letter?

Hello,

Any one else on the list still waiting for a June 12 oath letter? I haven't received anything in the mail yet and was wondering if there were others in the same situation.

Thanks,
Mayor

Last time I went for an infopas on May 19, I was told that I have been recommended for approval (N-400) on May 13 and that the only thing that remained was supervisor's approval. The IO confirmed that supervisor's approval is pretty much like a "rubber stamp" but was required as the final step before an oath could be scheduled. She said that there was a chance that I would be called for June 12 ceremony but that most likely it would be a later oath ceremony. So far I have not recieved anything. Calling 1800 number does not provide any information - they just recite the "background check cleared" note and instruct me to wait.

A friend of mine had her interview last Tuesday (May 27) and was given an oath notice for June 25. She said that everybody who had interviews that day got oath notes for June 25. I guess June 12th oath is full now.
Still waiting for mine.

my friend who works with me had some queries he applied for his n400 in early january from houston, he has the interview on june 28 which is a saturday.

-Any idea what oath date would he get in to?
- Being scheduled for an interview means that all the checks (background, name) have been completed right?

thanks

my friend who works with me had some queries he applied for his n400 in early january from houston, he has the interview on june 28 which is a saturday.

-Any idea what oath date would he get in to?
- Being scheduled for an interview means that all the checks (background, name) have been completed right?

thanks

The remaining 2008 Oath dates from the USCIS website (for the Houston District Office) are as follows:

• June 25th at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

• July 2nd at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

• August 27th at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

• September 3rd at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

• September 4th at the Beaumont, Texas building, Eastern District Court

• September 24th at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

• October 29th at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

• November 19th at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

• December 4th at the Beaumont, Texas building, Eastern District Court

• December 17th at the M.O. Campbell Educational Center

It appears that the next available date would be July 2nd, though it's very close to the interview date. August 27th may be more likely.

June 12 oath ceremony in Houston

What a zoo the M.O. Campbell center was that morning. I encourage ANYONE who has their ceremony scheduled for that location to read this.

We arrived at 7am and the parking lot was very nearly full, and traffic was a mess. By the time we left, the grass lot across the street to the south was filled, as well.

Lines to get in the building were several hundred people deep on both sides. The last three digits of your A# determine which side of the building you should line up for. When we were there, 000-0499 were on the east side of the building, and 500-999 on the west side. Bypass the long lines, and find one of the two or three staffers on each side of building who can tell you which side you should be standing. Once you get to the proper side, your guests can bypass the lines and go directly inside and have a seat.

The oath taker will continue to stand in line and upon entering the building be directed to a table (for a specific range of A#'s, like 500-550) where you exchange your residency and letter for a packet of info - passport app, voter registration card, etc. You will also get a colored (pink, yellow, orange, blue, etc) piece of paper with your complete A# written on it. Don't lose this piece of paper.

The entire facility seats about 3,000 people and between oath takers and guests it will be nearly full. They do sell some concessions - coffee, soda, donuts, kolaches, etc - cash only, no debit/credit cards. Get comfortable once you sit down, as it will be 10:00am before the actual ceremony starts.

About 30-45 minutes of speeches and the actual oath, and then they will call certain colors that match the paper mentioned above. When your color is called, then and only then can you get up and get your actual certificate and leave.

Be sure to fill out your voter registration card while you are waiting, and you can hand it to a volunteer there as you leave (after your oath) and they will process your voter registration!

James & Sandra

Oath letter received

What a zoo the M.O. Campbell center was that morning. I encourage ANYONE who has their ceremony scheduled for that location to read this.

Thanks, James. I'm scheduled to swear-in on July 2 and judging from your note, it seems that it would be advisable to arrive well before 7 am.

What do we need to take in addition to the greencard and swearing-in notice? My letter asks for any immigration documents in my possession, including a re-entry permit. I have no idea what that means.

Also, when were you finally able to leave the Center? I have to go downtown for an appointment later in the afternoon and am considering if I should reschedule.

Thanks to all who wrote back to my queries over the last few months. It's been a long trip but being able to vote this year makes it worthwhile.

Mayor

We finally got out about 11:30am. They only wanted my wife's green card and letter, but better to take too much than too little.

If you arrive before 7am, that will just increase your sitting and waiting time. Regardless of when you get there, there were still people filing in as late as 8 or 8:30am. Loooooooong lines - wear comfortable shoes, remember that if you are on the east side of the building you will be standing in the sun.

Congratulations!

James

INS screwed us

Update for us. My wife went to her interview yesterday 6/27/08. The agent did everything asked all questions said my wife passed, but at the end said problem, you do not qualify for citizenship at this time as you and your husband not "residing in the US." This is totally false and made up, we made she was here before 6 months ended so her continuity would met, he even went so far as to say that your husband needs to make a decision where he wants to live so that you can get your citizenship. I spoke to a lawyer after this, and she said his reasoning was totally unlawful. She said we have to wait for denial letter before a rebuttal. Anyhow I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience or circumstance with INS, (i hope not). But if so please share experience with me. Thanks

Question about Houston ceremony

Hello,

Two quick queries about the oath-taking at Houston:

1) Are we allowed to carry a bag (water, sandwich, book, cellphone) inside?

2) Is the place easy to find? I've heard the location is a bit confusing (Google directions seem straightforward) but thought I'd check nevertheless.

Thanks in advance,
Mayor

Update for us. My wife went to her interview yesterday 6/27/08. The agent did everything asked all questions said my wife passed, but at the end said problem, you do not qualify for citizenship at this time as you and your husband not "residing in the US." This is totally false and made up, we made she was here before 6 months ended so her continuity would met, he even went so far as to say that your husband needs to make a decision where he wants to live so that you can get your citizenship. I spoke to a lawyer after this, and she said his reasoning was totally unlawful. She said we have to wait for denial letter before a rebuttal. Anyhow I would like to know if anyone else has had this experience or circumstance with INS, (i hope not). But if so please share experience with me. Thanks

Try to copy and past this commentary on the NY thread.-
I am sure somebody has gone through this experience before.-
I am sorry to hear that !!!

My journey is finally over. I got my oath letter in mid July for July 25 ceremony in Houston (this ceremony was not on the original ceremony list). There were nearly 2000 people taking oath that day and I was done at around 11 am. Now waiting for passport (applied an hour after the ceremony).

My mother's and hubby's journey is just beginning...