N-600 process time

N-600 finally some light we recived notiice to appear for citizenship oaath ceremoney on 15th April Morning . I submitted on Dec 30th and got Final notice on 3/31/2011 .
Notice says to bring the green card and report to ceremoney room directly .

Good luck for every one .

Posted on the 13th Nov 2010 and today is the 4th of April and we still have no reply to our N600, looking nearer six months than five. Well done to everybody who beat the normal five months, it would seem that things move slowly at the Norfolk office.

UK-to-VA, speed of processing at different offices does indeed vary widely. There's just one thing that raises a question in my mind about your post. You wrote "we still have no reply to our N600". Does this mean you've received no acknowledgment of any kind?

I mailed N600 for my daughter to my DO (Atlanta) about a week before you. We did receive a receipt notice by mail, back in December or January. It was a DO-generated form, not the same format as the receipt notices one gets for filings such as N400 and I485, and didn't have a receipt number. Still, it was an acknowledgment. If you have not received any acknowledgment at all from your DO, then maybe you should enquire....

Hi anxiouscdn2,
Sorry, in a previous post I did say we also received a letter within 10 days, that was back in Nov 2010, my mistake. It would seem that the Norfolk office is going to take this one to the wire, time wise. My son is looking forward to doing ROTC at college but he needs his Citizenship papers first, never mind. Thank you for your help and good luck with in your quest.

Hi everyone. I would like to ask something about my N600 application.
I am a permanent resident and I applied for my N600 and it was approved last February 14, 2011. The officer told me to wait for my oath taking letter in mail and she didn't give me any paper or proof that it was approved, is this normal? Currently I am applying for college and I don't know what to put under citizenship status, should I put American citizen already or still permanent resident? Hoping for some response. Thank You!

Hi sd-uok--u,
If you still have your Green Card then you are not a US Citizen yet. Colleges are more interested in your SS number, which seems to tell them if you’re US or an Alien? On your FASA form for aid or grants you will have trouble if you put down you’re a US Citizen and you are in fact an Alien. The Social Security Administration will tell the Dept of Home Security that there is a problem, net result you will have to take your Green Card to the College to update your FASA form and you will miss dates for Loans or Grants.

Hi UK-to-VA,

I got my letter last week, and my oath taking will be next month. It was a relief and I am very happy. Thank you so much! :)

Hi sd-uok-u, I'm very happy that it has worked out for you in the end. My son was able to pick his up last Friday so he could meet a deadline, they were very helpful and so ended a very long few months.

Hello All,

Looking for some advice. Me and my wife have a oath for US Citizenship in mid-May. We have a 10 year old on Green Card for whom we have to apply for N600. Does he have to take a oath or he will just be approved and we will have to pick up his certificate of citizenship.

Also, we plan to travel to India this summer and he will be gone from June-Aug. Should I apply for his N600 in May or should I wait for him to get back from India trip in August. Any advantages or otherwise with either option.

Hello All,

Looking for some advice. Me and my wife have a oath for US Citizenship in mid-May. We have a 10 year old on Green Card for whom we have to apply for N600. Does he have to take a oath or he will just be approved and we will have to pick up his certificate of citizenship.

Also, we plan to travel to India this summer and he will be gone from June-Aug. Should I apply for his N600 in May or should I wait for him to get back from India trip in August. Any advantages or otherwise with either option.

Your son will become a USC at the same time as you and your wife by an action of law, getting proof comes after that. Since travel will be in your near future you need the passports first. You can ALL apply for passports together, in person. They need his parent's natz certificate to prove that your son is a USC. You and your wife will be presenting primary evidence but your son's will be secondary evidence, so you'll need his greencard and birth cert also. In the future, your son will have his own certificate as primary evidence. They can attach his application to his mom's so, you don't need your marriage cert. If you check your local USCIS office's processing times, you will get an idea of how long the N-600 should take BUT as summer approaches and kids are out of school, USCIS usually steps up the children's certificate processing and tries to have more ceremonies just to get good press coverage and build community relations. At his age, they will have him at a ceremony.

BigJoe5...thanks for your response.

If my son becomes a USC when we take our oath in mid-May, does that mean he CANNOT travel to INDIA on his Indian Passport ???. I'm confused. Does he not still continue to be a Indian citizen with a Green card and can travel to India with his Indian passport and not need a visa for India.

Does anyone know if the child of US citizens can still travel to India with his Indian passport and greencard. Does he have to get a US passport and Indian visa.

BigJoe5...thanks for your response.

If my son becomes a USC when we take our oath in mid-May, does that mean he CANNOT travel to INDIA on his Indian Passport ???. I'm confused. Does he not still continue to be a Indian citizen with a Green card and can travel to India with his Indian passport and not need a visa for India.

You, your wife, and your son will all be USC's and all need U.S. Passports to re-enter the U.S. Dealing with the laws of India is a whole other matter that must also be addressed directly to the India authorities.

You, your wife, and your son will all be USC's and all need U.S. Passports to re-enter the U.S. Dealing with the laws of India is a whole other matter that must also be addressed directly to the India authorities.

Thanks Again....Don't mean to be pestering....but....If I do not apply for his US passport and have not yet applied for his N600, then is he not still a US Green Card holder and can travel to India as a Indian Citizen. The issue is that we will have only one naturalization certificate and we need to apply for our passports. How do we apply for his passport at the same time.

We will have to first get ours and then apply for his, then his India papers. I was planning for him to come back to the US in August and then apply for his US passport. Will that work....Thanks for your help ...

Just do the darn paperwork already! Get it over with!

Thanks Again....Don't mean to be pestering....but....If I do not apply for his US passport and have not yet applied for his N600, then is he not still a US Green Card holder and can travel to India as a Indian Citizen. The issue is that we will have only one naturalization certificate and we need to apply for our passports. How do we apply for his passport at the same time.

We will have to first get ours and then apply for his, then his India papers. I was planning for him to come back to the US in August and then apply for his US passport. Will that work....Thanks for your help ...

You HAVE TO apply for your 1st passport in person. A parent MUST present the child for a passport application. [Preferably BOTH parents present child or else the individual parent MUST present further evidence of authority or consent.] You MUST surrender ORIGINAL CERTIFICATES for the passport applications. In short, to answer your question, show up together. Read the State Department website instructions on topic. Family application packets will be bundled when you apply all together. It is easiest for THEM to process it that way.

What part of "automatic acquisition" and "action of law" do you not understand? The kid becomes a USC and ceases to be an LPR, end of story. Knowing this and proceeding otherwise is FRAUD. At worst, you face criminal charges. At best, you "get away with it". MOST LIKELY, you pay a FINE for improper documentation.

You HAVE TO apply for your 1st passport in person. A parent MUST present the child for a passport application. [Preferably BOTH parents present child or else the individual parent MUST present further evidence of authority or consent.] You MUST surrender ORIGINAL CERTIFICATES for the passport applications. In short, to answer your question, show up together. Read the State Department website instructions on topic. Family application packets will be bundled when you apply all together. It is easiest for THEM to process it that way.

What part of "automatic acquisition" and "action of law" do you not understand? The kid becomes a USC and ceases to be an LPR, end of story. Knowing this and proceeding otherwise is FRAUD. At worst, you face criminal charges. At best, you "get away with it". MOST LIKELY, you pay a FINE for improper documentation.

Thanks again for your comments. Called up the US Passport # and got all the details. The lady was very helpful.

After my oath on 5/11 I have set up an appointment with the US possport facility in Downtown Chicago on 5/12 @ 9am. Apointment will be for myself, wife & son. The apoinement will all be in one packet as you mentioned. Will need to carry proof of travel withing 4 weeks since I need to get a indian visa.

I was told that I will get the passport same day since I am coming from Indianapolis. Worst case scenario they will give the passport a day after or will overnight mail it. Should work out.

If possible will also go to the Travisa for the India Visa. Thanks for all the advice.

The only extra fees is the $60 for expediting. No other additional fees.

Filed with Chicago Field Office in Nov, 2010

I filed N-600 for my 13 year old daughter back in Nov, 2010 (receipt dt Nov 24, 2010 and Notice date Dec 1, 2010). All I have got so far is the letter that acknowledges the receipt of the application with the dates.

Processing time for Chicago shows 5 months as of May 31, 2011. I just called USCIS Customer service and they have opened a case for me. Anyone in the same boat?

Thx-mxc

I filed N-600 for my 13 year old daughter back in Nov, 2010 (receipt dt Nov 24, 2010 and Notice date Dec 1, 2010). All I have got so far is the letter that acknowledges the receipt of the application with the dates.

Processing time for Chicago shows 5 months as of May 31, 2011. I just called USCIS Customer service and they have opened a case for me. Anyone in the same boat?

Thx-mxc

It is not unusual for an office to save up a bunch of N-600s and have a big ceremony or 2 or 3 during summer vacation. An Infopass might have been better than a service request in this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Applied N 600 for my son - Atlanta

I received US Citz on Aug 16 - 2011
Applied for Passport - (Me and my son) - August 18
Got Passport - Sep 02
Applied for My son's N-600 in Atlanta - August 12 (USPS)

I will keep posted my updates.