12/13/2011 walkin Finger Print Done
12/22/2011 Online update interview and testing
12/27/2011 interview letter mailed
12/31/2011 interview letter received
02/02/2012 interview done. RFE issued
02/04/2012 mailed RFE back

Last edited by a moderator:
adding my details and reviving thread

There doesn't seem to be much activity on the SF thread so I am adding my time line and interview details.

Interview Experience:
My interview was scheduled at 7:45 am on April 5th in SF. Got there 15-20 minutes early and there were probably only 10-15 others in the waiting area at the time. At about 8:15 am, an officer came out and called me. The interview was a breeze - he went through my answers in the N-400 application, made me repeat all the Yes/No answers filled in in the form. He didn't ask for any paperwork apart from the passport, GC and driver's licence. Not even for the traffic ticket I had listed - just asked me what the fine was. Then came the civics test (6 questions) and the reading/writing test.

He then printed out the N-652 form saying I had passed the civics test and would be informed by letter when a final decision was made. He also told me that the next step was for another officer to review my file and I should expect to be scheduled for oath within a month or so.

By 8:30 am, I was out of the USCIS office. Btw, there was a sign on the officer's desk saying all applicants should present their passport, GC, license, tax returns and recent W2s, but the officer didn't ask me for tax returns or W2s.

DO: San Francisco

12/12/11 Mailed N-400
12/13/11 Packet delivered at Phoenix, AZ lockbox
12/16/11 NOA Sent
12/20/11 NOA received
12/22/11 FP letter mailed
12/27/11 FP Notice Received
01/04/12 FP Appointment / Done as scheduled.
02/06/12 Yellow letter received (minor traffic citation)
02/28/12 Placed in line for interview scheduling
02/28/12 Interview scheduled
03/08/12 Interview letter received
04/05/12 Interview Date. Received N-652 saying USCIS will inform me in writing when a final decision is made.
04/12/12 Application in Oath Scheduling queue
04/16/12 Oath Scheduled
xx/xx/12 Oath date

N-400 interview location

Can anyone advise why the N-400 interview for someone who resides in Alameda county would be scheduled in the San Jose DO instead of San Francisco?

Update:
Never mind, got my answer from the USCIS office guide, turns out some parts of Alameda County falls under San Jose DO based on the zip code.

SF vs SJ DO

Can anyone advise why the N-400 interview for someone who resides in Alameda county would be scheduled in the San Jose DO instead of San Francisco?

Update:
Never mind, got my answer from the USCIS office guide, turns out some parts of Alameda County falls under San Jose DO based on the zip code.

Thanks for the info Hismercy... So which ZIP codes in Alameda County fall in SJ DO? Wondering if there is a list or lookup..

Thanks for the info Hismercy... So which ZIP codes in Alameda County fall in SJ DO? Wondering if there is a list or lookup..

If you go to USCIS portal and click the link to find a USCIS office, then click on "field offices" there is an office locator that you enter your zip code and it tells you where your district office is. It was interesting to find that 94536 has San Francisco as their DO while 94538 has San Jose as theirs, but both zip codes are in the same city.

Thanks...

If you go to USCIS portal and click the link to find a USCIS office, then click on "field offices" there is an office locator that you enter your zip code and it tells you where your district office is. It was interesting to find that 94536 has San Francisco as their DO while 94538 has San Jose as theirs, but both zip codes are in the same city.

Good info…Thanks Hismercy! Mine is gonna be SJ as well and looks like we live in the same neighborhood :)

my observation from SF interview trends:
it takes about 2.5 to 3 months from the day you file until you go for interview.
and the interview letter comes between 30 to 40 days before your interview regardless of your FP date whether it was early walkin or not.

online status for n-400

my observation from SF interview trends:
it takes about 2.5 to 3 months from the day you file until you go for interview.
and the interview letter comes between 30 to 40 days before your interview regardless of your FP date whether it was early walkin or not.

Have you been checking online status? Is it accurate? Thanks.

Have you been checking online status? Is it accurate? Thanks.

i have looked into different forums like this one and visajourney and trackitt trying to come up with some idea about the timings.

based on the san francisco cases from trackitt.com, all the cases which have already had their interview in 2012, the average time from filing to interview is 94 days and ranging from 69 to 120 days.

online status

It looks like the applications spiked after February and now SFO is backed up. Probably because the election. The following chart shows that the applications overwhelmed completions in Feb, March and June :( :

http://dashboard.uscis.gov/index.cfm?formtype=2&office=76&charttype=1

I was traveling for work and have to mail my app from Dallas and get FP in Maryland (No ASC in DC!) Now I'm back in SF just waiting and sitting in pins&needles... :confused:

I am done my FP on 8/31 but my online status is still in initial review. My DO is SF.

Uh-huh. Happy Columbus Day to everyone. I finally got a text message this AM and my status has changed to 'Testing & Interview'. It took 45 days after fingerprints, 80 days total. Now wait for the date in the mail. :cool:

Candice, did u get the interview yet?

yes i received my interview letter on 10/1 and my interview day is on 11/3. just let you know you will receive your interview letter in 5 days after your online status changed to interview was scheduled. did you see someone posted a bad interview experience in San Francisco? WORRY!!!!!!!

Uh-huh. Happy Columbus Day to everyone. I finally got a text message this AM and my status has changed to 'Testing & Interview'. It took 45 days after fingerprints, 80 days total. Now wait for the date in the mail. :cool:

I have received my interview letter on 9/28.

Interesting, you got an interview for the Saturday before the election. I wonder if they are giving Oaths on Sunday so you can vote on Tuesday, the 6th? I'm expecting my letter by Saturday but I'm sure I'll be late to vote maybe by a week :(

I took my interview in SF and passed on 09/24 guy said most likely Oath was gonna take place 10/14, today is 10/12 an status online still reads TESTING AND INTERVIEWING. I called and they said I have to wait 90 days after the interview. My concern is that my GC expires 11/20 and I need to travel on December. Any idea if this time frame is correct been 3 weeks since the interview and status has not changed?