N-400 San Francisco timeline

sfbayguy78,

As I read your earlier post, you did not reached the 5-year eligibility date on your interview date. I believe that is the reason why you did not get your oath letter on the same day of your interview. I had the same issue. I received my oath letter 11 days after I reached my eligibility date. I hope you will get it soon.

Maybe if you have time you should take an infopass. My IO told me if I don't get my oath letter 30 days after my interview then I should go for an infopass.
Hope this helped.

sjcsla

I will have an N-400 interview on 5/17 in SF office. Does anyone know if allowed to bring a cell phone in the building?
Also, my driver's license still have an old home address from last year, which I didn't change becasue I sold my car after I moved. Is this going to be a problem when present it to a interview officer? Any experience? thanks a lot!

Anyone from SF... Is it realistic to get Oath letter for 06/22/11, if Interview Date is 06/13/11?
I really need to travel on July 1st.

Anyone from SF... Is it realistic to get Oath letter for 06/22/11, if Interview Date is 06/13/11?
I really need to travel on July 1st.
You can request the officer to give you the Oath date for the 22nd. If that's not possible, then you can travel on your country of origin's passport and postpone the oath if you can't make it back to US on time.
In case if you're an Indian citizen, I would not recommend taking the Oath on the 22nd June and leaving for India on the July 1st, as you have to acquire Renunciation Certificate and Get an Indian visa that easily takes about 2-3 weeks.

You can request the officer to give you the Oath date for the 22nd. If that's not possible, then you can travel on your country of origin's passport and postpone the oath if you can't make it back to US on time.
In case if you're an Indian citizen, I would not recommend taking the Oath on the 22nd June and leaving for India on the July 1st, as you have to acquire Renunciation Certificate and Get an Indian visa that easily takes about 2-3 weeks.

Noted, thank you for your suggestion: I'll try asking the officer for Oath on 22nd during my interview.
No, I'm not Indian citizen, and my national passport is expired. So I have to have my US passport to travel.

In case, your Oath doesn't get approved for the 22nd and you don't have a US passport before your Travel trip, you can ask your country of origin's Consulate or Embassy to issue you an emergency passport. I am pretty sure all the countries have expedited service for passports at an extra cost. That way you can at least enjoy your trip.

In case, your Oath doesn't get approved for the 22nd and you don't have a US passport before your Travel trip, you can ask your country of origin's Consulate or Embassy to issue you an emergency passport. I am pretty sure all the countries have expedited service for passports at an extra cost. That way you can at least enjoy your trip.

Thank you, speakamericano, for your advices. I'll try it.

Citizenship interview --- long and tough

I had my citizenship interview today, it was LONG day for me. I arrived 45 mins prior my schedule time. It was ok, they let me in and waited on the 2nd floor, because there were only a few people on the entire floor.

5 mins passed my schedule time, I was called, and walked in with this petitie young famale officer who has a serious face, and I could tell immidiately that my interview was not going to be easy... Sure, I was right... she asked all my IDs and then started English and civic test first, which was very easy, I passed. Then we started my application, she asked ALL very detailed questions, line by line from my application and wrote down all the notes about what I said, almost every single words, which made me nervious. Then she had all my Green Card application and document in front of her and asked tons of questions of those... meanwhile asked lot of people's phone number, whoever related with my application (Green card and citizenship)... I have to turn on my cell phone to find those numbers. This whole interview took more than 40 mins. I answered all questions very fast... but meanwhile, I was so worriy which answer I might gave wrong.. TOUGH time!!

From the other people's experience on this Forum, the interview seems easy and fast. I guess I wasn't that lucky and got this office NEW on the job.

At the end, she told me that they will have a 2nd review on my application and see if any more documents need to be provided, or send a decision in mail. That was a nerve-wracking experience. Hope my application will be fine, and get oath done soon!

My timeline:
N-400 received 03/072011
FP: 04/04/2011
Interview Date: 05/17/2011
5 yrs GC mark: 05/30/2011

Last edited by a moderator:
Done with Oath @ Paramount theater yesterday. 1100+ people from 106 countries... Parking was a pain so would recommend going early. I was supposed to report by 9:15 am but arrived around 9:30 due to parking. Lot of people were running late so it seemed normal to arrive later than scheduled time. Anyways, there were a lot of speakers and by around 10 they actually got started. Was done around 11. Applied for passport and registered to vote.Got done around noon.

I had my citizenship interview today, it was LONG day for me. I arrived 45 mins prior my schedule time. It was ok, they let me in and waited on the 2nd floor, because there were only a few people on the entire floor.

5 mins passed my schedule time, I was called, and walked in with this petitie young famale officer who has a serious face, and I could tell immidiately that my interview was not going to be easy... Sure, I was right... she asked all my IDs and then started English and civic test first, which was very easy, I passed. Then we started my application, she asked ALL very detailed questions, line by line from my application and wrote down all the notes about what I said, almost every single words, which made me nervious. Then she had all my Green Card application and document in front of her and asked tons of questions of those... meanwhile asked lot of people's phone number, whoever related with my application (Green card and citizenship)... I have to turn on my cell phone to find those numbers. This whole interview took more than 40 mins. I answered all questions very fast... but meanwhile, I was so worriy which answer I might gave wrong.. TOUGH time!!

From the other people's experience on this Forum, the interview seems easy and fast. I guess I wasn't that lucky and got this office NEW on the job.

At the end, she told me that they will have a 2nd review on my application and see if any more documents need to be provided, or send a decision in mail. That was a nerve-wracking experience. Hope my application will be fine, and get oath done soon!

My timeline:
N-400 received 03/072011
FP: 04/04/2011
Interview Date: 05/17/2011
5 yrs GC mark: 05/30/2011

Did the IO give you letter with the Interview Results, and what did it say?

Yes, the IO gave me the Interview Results (N-652), ticked two boxes: passed the test, and USCIS will send you a written decision about you application...

any clue about this? thanks

HI fellows,

It took me all togather 119 days from my N-400 application file date to an Oath Ceremoney. I am proud to be USC now. I had to wait about 40 days between interview and Oath because as my GC was not completed full 5 years at the time of Interview. Otherwise my Oath would be on April 26 which would make my Naturalization process completed within 100 days. It's FAST.....!!!

Thanks all of you for your help (Specially sjcsla & sfbayguy78) for your help supports and advices in issues regarding Green Card and Naturalization. It was really helpful. I really appreciated.

As sfbayguy78 said the oath ceremony Oakland paramount seems big. there were 1233 new citizens, from 106 countries. Parking was pain. I could not get parking for 15 mins but I was early so, still make it at 9:15 check in. Ceremony was great. finished around 11 am applied the passport same day. Registered for the vote. I still need to go to SSA for updates.

Please check out my signature for timeline

Thank you,
Nepz06

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

My Oath is on July 6th, I'm going to travel internationally on July 9th.
Is it realistic to get US passport in 2 days in San Francisco passport agency?

Thanks.

Merku,
Just go to the San Francisco passport agency with the proof of your travel and a passport application. You will pay $60.00 extra fee for the rush service but will get the passport within 2 days.

Guys,

My Oath is on July 6th, I'm going to travel internationally on July 9th.
Is it realistic to get US passport in 2 days in San Francisco passport agency?

Thanks.

Merku,

Did you request an earlier date for oath during interview? My interview was on the June 14th. Wondering if I will be scheduled for the same date as you. When did you get the oath letter?

Thank you, speakamericano.

sair112, no, I didn't request an earlier date, received letter 1 week after my interview.

hi everyone,i got the e-mail from USCIS yesterday,and show the online status had change to testing and interviewing. i was little suprised,cause i just done the fingerprint on Tuesday which's 21st June,and i think should have two step which for YL and transfer to local office.then status will be change to testing and interviewing..is anybody have same situdation with me!
my timeline

04/20/11 N-400 Sent
05/25/11 RD & PD(when i mail got the problem with USPS)
06/11/11FP Notice Received (Appt 06/21/2011)
06/21/11FP Don
06/23/11 online status change to "Testing and Interviewing"