N-400 San Francisco timeline

Folks:

I finally received my US Passport yesterday.

My Time Lines are as below:

congratulation for your Passport rkdtap...!!!

San Francisco DO
10.05.2010 N400 to Phoenix
10.06.2010 Received / PD
10.08.2010 Check Cashed
10.18.2010 NOA
10.18.2010 FP Notice
10.21.2010 FP (Walk-In) / FP Cleared by FBI
10.28.2010 Original FP Appointment
11.18.2010 Interview Letter
11.25.2010 Yellow Letter
12.22.2010 Interview Date
01.05.2010 Oath Letter Date
01.25.2010 Oath Date @ Oakland
01.25.2010 Passport Applied
02.15.2010 Received Passport

congratulation for your passport rkdtab....!!!

hi fellows,
I got my interview letter today for Interview schedule for 04/07/2011. will update more once interview done.
See my signature for time-line.

Nepz06

rkdtab,

Congrats for your passport! You received it very fast.

nepz06,

Congrats to you too!!! That is a great news.
Good luck to you!

Hi there,
I had my interview @ San Francisco next week and had a few questions
1. Is it OK to BART (from Fremont) and walk to the USCIS office or driving is better? I have a 3 year old so wanted to figure out if its a long walk from BART
2. If driving, any tips regarding parking, etc
3. Any1 done name change at this center recently? If yes, could you please share your experience.
4. Any other advise?

Hi there,
1. Is it OK to BART (from Fremont) and walk to the USCIS office or driving is better? I have a 3 year old so wanted to figure out if its a long walk from BART
3. Any1 done name change at this center recently? If yes, could you please share your experience.
4. Any other advise?

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.detail&office=SFR&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO&OfficeLocator.zipcode=94587

I would recommend taking BART over driving, seems to be a 10 or 15 minute walk from Montgomery.

Parking in downtown is always a pain.You can find lots that charge 10 bucks for the entire day, but those might not be in the vicinity of the USCIS bldg.

Disclaimer: My DO was the San Jose office, no personal experience with the SFO office, but have worked in the financial district.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely BART is the best way, if you don't have to go somewhere else afterwards that requires a car. Otherwise, think about parking in a residential area close to a MUNI train like the J (somewhere around Church street) if you want to avoid looking for parking in the financial district.

Hi there,
4. Any other advise?

I don't have any experience with BART. I had to drive to my interview. I found a parking lot very near to the USCIS office. There is a parking lot on Clay St. between Battery St and Davis St. The parking cost 7 USD for me for the whole time. Parking attendants were helpful. You say you are going to the USCIS office for 1-2 hours and they will leave your car near to the exit. I had a nice experience with them.

I had a name change during my interview (even though in CA they are not doing fully name changes just name shortening or something like that, no big name changes). I had two first names and couple last names and they let me change/shorten it to one first and 1 last name (no changes in the original names). If you are planning to have a different name then you have to do it through the court after you get your citizenship. It will be an other process.
If you want to leave out 1 or 2 names from your full name that is possible. I supported my name change request with my marriage certificate, my birth certificate, and a complete description in a letter format why I would like to change my name. They accepted it and got my certificate on my "new" name after the ceremony.

I had a very easy interview. Nothing special. I was out in less than 15 minutes. Just the basic questions on your N-400 (name, travel, kids….), then 6 question from the test, one sentence to read and one to write. Then they told that I passed and will receive my oath letter in the mail.

Interview experience

Wanted to share my experience..I drove about 45 mins prior to my appointment and parked at parking center between Battery and Davis on Clay St. Line to get in was not much (around 5-7 people). Went to the second floor after security check. Waited for over an hour to get called. Once interview began, it was over in 15 mins. Usual questions about address, wife, kids and number of trips overseas. Civics question was usual, along with reading writing.
Few people were getting oath letter immideately after interview, I did not as not reached the 5 year mark. Also, my wife and I had interview at same time but different officers, so my wife could take our 3 year old daughter along for the interview.

Wanted to share my experience..I drove about 45 mins prior to my appointment and parked at parking center between Battery and Davis on Clay St. Line to get in was not much (around 5-7 people). Went to the second floor after security check. Waited for over an hour to get called. Once interview began, it was over in 15 mins. Usual questions about address, wife, kids and number of trips overseas. Civics question was usual, along with reading writing.
Few people were getting oath letter immideately after interview, I did not as not reached the 5 year mark. Also, my wife and I had interview at same time but different officers, so my wife could take our 3 year old daughter along for the interview.

Hello Sfbaybuy78,

I had exact experience as you had regarding interview. I did not had to wait for my name to be called. It was 9:45 AM. I was in restroom when officer was out to call me around 9:45AM he said he had been looking here/there for me. LOL. I took BART its 10 Min walk from Montgomery Bart Station....!!! and arrived in Interview office 5 min earlier then scheduled Interview.

I had sent you message, hope you got. sorry for not replying you earlier. !!

He marked on Interview result at "Pass in English and civic test" and "Decision can not be yet made". and verbally told me that my Green card is not five years and have to wait until April 18th, to get decision. Hope everything will be ok.

Please let me know when you get your "Oath Letter". I hope we will have same day Oath in Paramount Theater in Oakland in things go smoothly.....!!!

Nepz06

Will an expired Indian passport create any issues at the time of citizenship Interview? Is it required to renew it before i get to the Interview? Please reply!!!

N400 sent: 3/10/2011
FP done: 3/30/2011 (early Walkin in Atlanta)

I had my interview on 4/11. I took BART and walked the 10 minutes to the office on Sansome. The security guards at the front were friendly and helpful.

I checked in on the 2nd floor and waited in the 3rd floor area. I was scheduled for 8:15 and was called in at about 8:25.

The examiner was friendly and the interview went smoothly overall but there were a few hiccups. I had filled out my application with trips outside the US over the last 3 years (as I am applying based on marriage to a US citizen). The examiner updated my application by hand to include trips going back 5 years (based on my passport). He asked me for a copy of my joint tax return for 2009 (as I included 2007 and 2008 in my application) but I didn't have it with me. This caused some concern, but luckily I had a joint bank account statement from 2009 and that was enough (just). If I hadn't had the bank statement I would have had to mail in extra documentation from home. He didn't ask to see my marriage certificate or my wife's birth certificate: maybe they confirmed her citizenship from her SSN.

The civics test was straight forward. Hint: give the simplest answer you can think of. For example, when asked "what important event happened on September 11, 2001?" don't talk about the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, al-Qaeda, or Osama bin Laden. Just say "the US was attacked by terrorists" and save yourself some time.

The English test was silly. I had to read aloud "What is the largest state?" and then write the answer down under dictation. I didn't have to know the answer, just be able to write it down. (There were two other sentences I could read aloud if I found that one too challenging.) They should either make the language requirement serious (and toughen up the test) or do away with the test entirely. It's just a waste of time as it stands.

I then signed my photographs (which the examiner had in my file), signed a few forms, and it was done. I think the interview took about 25 minutes in total. The examiner then asked to me wait in the area for an interview to the oath ceremony to be given to me by hand. This took about half an hour and I was on my way. I will be taking the oath at the Paramount in Oakland on April 26.

Hi,

During my interview which was on April 7th, the officer did not told me to sign on photograph? I even reminded him but he exactly did reply nor told me to sign on my photographs. I saw hanging plastic bag with my photo. But, he told me to sign couple of places and told me my LPR is not five years so I have to wait until the date come. I' m worry about the photograph signature because it seems every one has signed it. Please share some ideas/experience. Thanks,
------ nepz06

Nepz06,
My experience:
I had my interview back in January just one week before my eligibility date (based on five-year LPR) but my IO told me to sign the photographs and she told that she can't give me a letter of approval. I got a letter that stated: I passed the test and the decision cannot be made at that time. I got my oath letter 18 days after my interview.
Hope everything will be OK with your photograph and soon you will post here a good news that you got your oath letter.
Sjcsla

I had my interview on 4/11. I took BART and walked the 10 minutes to the office on Sansome. The security guards at the front were friendly and helpful.

The English test was silly. I had to read aloud "What is the largest state?" and then write the answer down under dictation. I didn't have to know the answer, just be able to write it down. (There were two other sentences I could read aloud if I found that one too challenging.) They should either make the language requirement serious (and toughen up the test) or do away with the test entirely. It's just a waste of time as it stands.

Oh My friend

What?

Hi,

During my interview which was on April 7th, the officer did not told me to sign on photograph? I even reminded him but he exactly did reply nor told me to sign on my photographs. I saw hanging plastic bag with my photo. But, he told me to sign couple of places and told me my LPR is not five years so I have to wait until the date come. I' m worry about the photograph signature because it seems every one has signed it. Please share some ideas/experience. Thanks,
------ nepz06

My wife and I had my interview on same day-center like you. We both were made to sign the photographs. However, I had read on these forums some others did not sign photographs, and it was not a problem

Nepz06,
My experience:
I had my interview back in January just one week before my eligibility date (based on five-year LPR) but my IO told me to sign the photographs and she told that she can't give me a letter of approval. I got a letter that stated: I passed the test and the decision cannot be made at that time. I got my oath letter 18 days after my interview.
Hope everything will be OK with your photograph and soon you will post here a good news that you got your oath letter.
Sjcsla

sjcsla,

did your online status get updated before you got the oath letter?

sjcsla,

did your online status get updated before you got the oath letter?

Hi Sfbayguy78,

No, it did not change. My last update on my online status is still "Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled" and I already got my citizenship. I read from others that they are not changing your status in the USCIS system after your case transferred to the local office.

We (I and spouse) had a very quick processing of n400. Thanks everyone for sharing information here. It was very helpful!

GC Approved Jan 2002
sent n400 application - Jan 30, 2011
FP scheduled - Feb 22, 2011 (we did walk in on Feb 9)
Interview - April 14, 2011 (San Francisco). You can find and compare parking rates on http://sanfrancisco.bestparking.com/index.php#1
One of us had a >6 months stay out of US. But based on long time since that stay and other spouse had maintained continuity, officer did not spend any time on that.

Oath - April 26, 2011 (Oakland) -- Parking cost $7 around 2 blocks away from Paramount.

Good Luck everyone!

Nepz06,
My experience:
Sjcsla

Hello sjcla,
thanks for you and all other members of this forum for your kind help by providing great information and application process as well as your experience. It was great help and relief for me.

today I received my Oath Letter for May 18th.

thanks again,
nezp06

congrats nepzp06..my wife also got her oath letter for same day..her interview was also on 04/07(same date as yours)

I wonder if I should take an infopass since it's just close to a month since interview? Is this a good reason to take an info pass? (i.e. 2 people who interviewed on same date as me got their oath letter on same day)