N-400 San Francisco timeline

Received interview letter but no yellow letter

Hi Folks,
I am new to this. I received interview appointment letter yesterday but I thought the yellow letter comes first before the interview letter from the post and timeline I have read in this forum. I don't know what should be the content of the yellow letter and I don't know what it looks like.
Please can someone tell me whether this normal or a mistake from USCIS

Received my oath letter! It was a bit delayed (1 month after interview+approval) by SF standards. I think the reason was because I requested that my spouse and myself have oath together. So, rather than expediting the second file to catch up with the first file, they will delay the first file to slow down to the second file. I probably should have guessed :)

How long it takes to receive interview letter after you complete FP? I completed FP March 22.
Update on above question:
I revd my IL letter 4/7/2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I Travel Overseas Between Interview and Oath?

My interview date is 4/20/10 . Thanks to Phillies I see that the next oath
schedule in SF/OAK is 5/5/10 and 5/26/10. Assuming no hiccups can I plan travel in late May to UK/Turkey for two weeks? Can I presume that i) I'll get the 5/5 ceremony and ii) be able to get a passport over the following two weeks. If this doesn't work out and I get the 5/26/10 date, can I postpone it to June17th? Any opinions would be appreciated. I'll try and get through on the 800 number- what number does one press to get to an agent? Many Thanks.

DO: San Francisco
LPR/GC: 11/1996
02/01/10 Sent N 400 to Phoenix
via USPS Priority Mail
02/03/10 N400 Received
02/10/10 NOA PD 2/09/10
02/12/10 Check Cashed
02/19/10 FPL pd 2/03/10
03/08/10 FP Taken
03/15/10 IL
03/15/10 Yellow Letter
04/20/10 Interview Date
XX/XX/XX Oath
XX/XX/XX PP

My interview date is 4/20/10 . Thanks to Phillies I see that the next oath
schedule in SF/OAK is 5/5/10 and 5/26/10. Assuming no hiccups can I plan travel in late May to UK/Turkey for two weeks? Can I presume that i) I'll get the 5/5 ceremony and ii) be able to get a passport over the following two weeks. If this doesn't work out and I get the 5/26/10 date, can I postpone it to June17th? Any opinions would be appreciated. I'll try and get through on the 800 number- what number does one press to get to an agent? Many Thanks.

DO: San Francisco
LPR/GC: 11/1996
02/01/10 Sent N 400 to Phoenix
via USPS Priority Mail
02/03/10 N400 Received
02/10/10 NOA PD 2/09/10
02/12/10 Check Cashed
02/19/10 FPL pd 2/03/10
03/08/10 FP Taken
03/15/10 IL
03/15/10 Yellow Letter
04/20/10 Interview Date
XX/XX/XX Oath
XX/XX/XX PP

you can still able to travel at the end of may assuming your oath in on may 26, you can get passport the same day or the second day if you have a paid ticket or itenary
i was in the same situation before, my advice to you is call the national passport center tonight and use the automated service system,

the system will allow you to pick and choose the date and the time you want, the system will ask you to choose another date if there is no availabe appointment at that day, when you got your appointment the system will give you an confirmation number,

don not try to speak with a customer service agent, they will not give you appointment now, they will ask you to call back 2 weeks before your departure date,
the automated system is more smarter and flexible than those customer service employees

you can still able to travel at the end of may assuming your oath in on may 26, you can get passport the same day or the second day if you have a paid ticket or itenary
i was in the same situation before, my advice to you is call the national passport center tonight and use the automated service system,

the system will allow you to pick and choose the date and the time you want, the system will ask you to choose another date if there is no availabe appointment at that day, when you got your appointment the system will give you an confirmation number,

don not try to speak with a customer service agent, they will not give you appointment now, they will ask you to call back 2 weeks before your departure date,
the automated system is more smarter and flexible than those customer service employees

Thanks for the valuable tip.
Are you saying I shouldn't travel on or before the 26th?
Ideally i'd like to travel mid May which would include the 26th-
is that asking too much.
The National Passport Regional Agency Appointment Line is: 1-877-487-2778.

Thanks for the valuable tip.
Are you saying I shouldn't travel on or before the 26th?
Ideally i'd like to travel mid May which would include the 26th-
is that asking too much.
The National Passport Regional Agency Appointment Line is: 1-877-487-2778.

you can still be able to travel mid may if you got the oath on may 6, you can apply for passport the next day on may 7, you will have your passport on may 8

lets assume this senario, you got oath may 26 and you still want to travel mid may, you can do it using your NP and GC,
personally i do not recommend it,
i really understand your feeling, i was in the same situation

my interview was the sep 3 2009, i wanted to leave to japan on sep 15,
there was oath dates on sep 9 and sep 21,
i got my oath on sep 21, i thought about leaving to japan before the oath, everybody recommeded me to wait till the oath,
i took my oath sep 21, apply for passport the second day, i left to japan sep 24,
my advice to you to call the national passport center and make 2 appointment, one on may 7, and the second on may 27

you can still be able to travel mid may if you got the oath on may 6, you can apply for passport the next day on may 7, you will have your passport on may 8

lets assume this senario, you got oath may 26 and you still want to travel mid may, you can do it using your NP and GC,
personally i do not recommend it,
i really understand your feeling, i was in the same situation

my interview was the sep 3 2009, i wanted to leave to japan on sep 15,
there was oath dates on sep 9 and sep 21,
i got my oath on sep 21, i thought about leaving to japan before the oath, everybody recommeded me to wait till the oath,
i took my oath sep 21, apply for passport the second day, i left to japan sep 24,
my advice to you to call the national passport center and make 2 appointment, one on may 7, and the second on may 27

Asked and answered, thanks so much. It's very helpful.

Interview and Oath letter

Me and my wife both interviewed on the same day.

My wife got her oath letter (for 04/14) last week (Her N-652 had, a decision cannot yet be made about your application).

My N-652 that had, you application has been recommended for approval and I am still waiting for oath letter.. Should I call and check with SF USCIS? Any chance that I can make it to 04/14 oath?

4. If you are applying for a passport, you need to bring the form they gave you at the Interview as it is a special form that can only be used at the Oath Ceremony. You cannot take that form to the Post Office to apply later, nor can you use an online printed form to apply at the Oath ceremony.

Dear GungaDin,

Congratulations on getting your citizenship!

I took my interview at San Jose and passed ("your case has been recommended for approval") but I was not handed any special form for the passport. Is there any way to get this now? I'm still waiting for my oath letter.

did you get your Oath letter ? since I had mine the same day 03-16-2010

I had my interview last Tuesday, Mar 16.

I got there just 8 minutes before my appointment, which was at 9:15am. I was kicking myself for not leaving early because I had to weave through the traffic in downtown SF. If there had been an accident, or if not for the parking lot conveniently located in front of the USCIS office, I would have been screwed. But anyway, I passed. It was over in 20 minutes. The officer went through each item in my application form, verifying the information I had written down was correct. I had been to Mexico and Canada since filing my app, so the officer made a notification on that. Also, he asked if I had been issued a traffic ticket, and I said yes and showed him a receipt of the payment along with a note that said I completed the driving school.

After the interview, he gave me a piece of paper that said I had passed the English/History test and that "a decision can not be made at this time" - because I haven't reached my 5 year residency. So now I just have to wait, I guess within a month I should get my oath letter.

Update on my N-400 app
SF DO
5 Year Resident, Oath eligible 4/8/2010
-----------------------------

01/08/2010: Mailed N-400 via FedEx
01/11/2010: N-400 Delivered in Phoenix, AZ at 10:15AM signed by T EDLEMAN
01/14/2010: Check cashed
01/14/2010: NOA notice date
01/19/2010: NOA received. Priority date 01/13/2010
01/22/2010: RFE mailed
01/29/2010: RFE received
02/01/2010: FP done. Walk-in.
02/07/2010: IL received
02/08/2010: Original FP Appointment
03/16/2010: ID --- PASSED :)
Did you get your oath letter ? I had my interview on 03/16/2010.

did you get your Oath letter ? since I had mine the same day 03-16-2010

We had our interview today and wanted to share our experience..
- Interview was scheduled for 10:XXam.
- Reached the 2nd floor reception 10mins before our scheduled interview time.
- I was asked to remain in 2nd floor and was asked to wait for my name to be called
- My wife was sent to 3rd floor and was asked to wait till her name was called
- I was called near my interview time and my interview lasted for about 15mins and was a smooth process
- Review of N400 form
- 6 questions, reading and writing
- I received N-652 that said, you application has been recommended for approval
- N-652 for my wife said, a decision cannot yet be made about your application (she was told that they are waiting for name clearance).. Is there any way to check for this or just wait?

Did you get your oath letter ? , Thank you

No, I haven't.

Today is my 5 year anniversary so I hope I should get the Oath Letter Appointment in the mail soon.

I hope I will get the 5/5 schedule as I will be traveling on the 4/14. In case I do get the 4/14, does anyone know how to reschedule it?

Not yet. I interviewed on 03/24. My wife got her oath letter for 04/14. 5 year annivery was on Feb end... so we are past that date.. Not sure if I can call and check or just have to wait...