N-400 San Francisco timeline

Did a walk in for FP at Oakland ASC

Went on Monday this week 1/11/2010 but was turned away.
Returned on Wednesday 1/13/2010 at 3pm.
No one was in the lobby.
Spoke to the woman there who agreed to let me get them done:)
My appointment date was 1/28/2010;)

District Office: San Francisco, CA

12/15/09 : N-400 Mailed to Phoenix via Priority Mail
12/23/09 : N-400 Received
12/23/09 : Priority date
12/28/09 : Check Cashed
01/02/10 : Notice of Action Received
01/05/10 : Finger Prints Notice Received
01/13/10: Walk in FP done

02/XX/10: Interview Letter Received
03/XX/10: Interview
04/XX/10: Oath Letter received
04/XX/10: Oath Date Completed
04/XX/10: Passport Applied (Expedited)
04/XX/10: PP Received

In God We Trust

Last edited by a moderator:
Went on Monday this week 1/11/2010 but was turned away.
Returned on Wednesday 1/13/2010 at 3pm.
No one was in the lobby.
Spoke to the woman there who agreed to let me get them done:)
My appointment date was 1/28/2010;)

I'm hoping you are already past your eligibility date as accelerating your interview (at least at the SF DO) prior to your naturalization eligibility only results in a 'decision cannot be made' at the interview which could cause further delays if the IO falls sick or something around the time when they are supposed to move you to the 'approved' queue. (Phew! that was a long sentence)

I'm hoping you are already past your eligibility date as accelerating your interview (at least at the SF DO) prior to your naturalization eligibility only results in a 'decision cannot be made' at the interview which could cause further delays if the IO falls sick or something around the time when they are supposed to move you to the 'approved' queue. (Phew! that was a long sentence)

am a nine year green card holder..am doing this for the wife who needs gc...i was happy to just be resident..she's the one rushing me to get it done:)

how was your interview

Hi
did you have your interview today? how did it go and did the fact that you have not been yet a 5y resident delay anything? Did you get a decision?

Hi
did you have your interview today? how did it go and did the fact that you have not been yet a 5y resident delay anything? Did you get a decision?

I'll post a detailed experience later tonight, but I got a 'No decision can be made at this time' with the reason as 'not oath eligible until 01-30-2010'.

Otherwise the Interview went pretty quickly.

Update on N-400 timeline

01/04/10: N-400 Mailed to Phoenix
01/05/10: N-400 received in Phoenix
01/07/10: Notice date
01/09/10: Cash checked
01/15/10: NOA received

Before I forget the details of my Interview yesterday...

Got to USCIS about 20 minutes before my interview time of 9:15 am, checked in on the 2nd floor and was asked to take a seat in section 'F' and await my turn. (For those yet to be interviewed, the section letters are written up close to the ceiling. I mention this as I saw plenty of people walking around looking for their section).
Got called in about 9:50.
Was asked to swear that I'd be telling the truth before I got seated etc.
IO: Passport, DL and GC please
Me: Here they are
IO: so how many trips have you taken outside the US since becoming an LPR
Me: 1.
(IO looks through my passport)
Me: It was to Canada for work and isn't stamped in my passport - but here are the boarding passes (pulled them off my expense report copy)
IO: I didn't ask for an explanation... So why did you write 5 trips and how come only 4 days on 'this' line?
Me: Because one question asks how many trips in the last 5 years (5 trips) and the other question asks for days outside the US since becoming LPR (4 days)
IO: (Looks at me funny, crosses out the 5 trips makes it 1 )
IO: Can I also see your Marriage Certificate. Where's your wife.
Me: Here it is... I didn't thing she was needed for this Interview.
IO: What is she doing? At home taking care of the kid.
Me: Well, she's actually at Toddler Soccer... (I did swear to tell the truth...)
IO: So she's at home taking care of the kid.
Me: Actually she's not at home at this instant...
IO: Answer with a Yes or No! Is she at home...
Me: Yes!
IO: (Looking at the Marriage Cert) We need a Certified Copy!
Me: (Puzzled) Er.. it is a certified copy.
(IO pointed to some verbiage at the top of the certificate but I told her to flip it over to see the raised seal and stamp)
IO: Why didn't you send us a copy of the Back of the certificate. That's what tells us that it is certified!
Me: (Puzzled again as I was pretty sure I had copied both sides but I wasn't going to argue. Told her that I didn't have a copy of the back...)
IO: (Flipping through the file...) Here it is. You did send it to us...

Moral of the Story: DO NOT SEND DOUBLE SIDED COPIES. IOs DON'T TURN THEM OVER TO CHECK THE BACK.

Asked me a whole bunch of Rapid Fire Questions going over the entire N400
What's your full name... Wife's name... Marriage Date... Son's full name, etc...
...Communist?.. terrorist?... any other organizations other than the ones listed?...etc.
(she did ask for and write down my work history back to 1995 even though this was a marriage based application)
IO: Have you ever been arrested...
Me: No
IO: But you said that you were arrested
Me: That was for Traffic citations
(Asks me for details on each of the traffic citations, how many for speeding, any DUI (no), Any proof of payment (no but I have my DMV record - asked for copy)
IO marks the check box as NO, then writes 'See attached' for the paper with the list of my citations (5 over last 20 yrs) and my DMV record.
IO: Is your wife a US citizen
Me: Yes. Do you want to see the birth cert?
IO: No. Do you have your tax transcripts
Me: Yes
IO: Hold On. I think you alsready sent them in. (spends about 30 seconds looking for something)
IO: OK, Now onto the civics test:
1. Who Wrote Declaration of Independence
2. Who is the Commander in Chief
3. What is the President's Party
4. Name the two Polical parties
5. Name 3 of the original 13 states
6. Name one state bordering Mexico.
IO: OK, can you please read this sentence...
IO: Now write down 'There are 50 States'
IO: Spell out 50. This is a writing test. (I crossed out 50 and wrote FIFTY. She asked me to initial the change)

IO: OK, you've passed the tests. Can you take the Oath as written here? If so, please sign in these two places as you'd sign a check and Print your name here.
IO: Sign these photographs please (you have to sign them along one side)
IO: Hands me the the form with 'No decision can be made at this time' with the reason of 'Not Oath eligible until 01-30-2010' and said that if there are no changes between now and the 30th, I'll be approved and should get a Oath notice within 2-3 weeks after that.
IO: Have a nice Day. Bye.
Me: What if I don't get a letter by that time...
IO: Make an Infopass appointment. Have a Nice Day.

I collected my things and walked out. Looked at my watch, it was 10:05.

Edit 1:
(While the IO didn't really check much of my Documentation, she did see that I had two folders with me. One marked 'Originals' and the other marked 'Copies' nicely categorized with post-its . The first thing I did was to open both of them up - ready to serve up whatever document she needed.)
Edit 2:
I did get the year of my marriage wrong by one year. She offered up the correct year, I corrected my answer and we moved on...

Before I forget the details of my Interview yesterday...

Got to USCIS about 20 minutes before my interview time of 9:15 am, checked in on the 2nd floor and was asked to take a seat in section 'F' and await my turn. (For those yet to be interviewed, the section letters are written up close to the ceiling. I mention this as I saw plenty of people walking around looking for their section).
Got called in about 9:50.
Was asked to swear that I'd be telling the truth before I got seated etc.
IO: Passport, DL and GC please
Me: Here they are
IO: so how many trips have you taken outside the US since becoming an LPR
Me: 1.
(IO looks through my passport)
Me: It was to Canada for work and isn't stamped in my passport - but here are the boarding passes (pulled them off my expense report copy)
IO: I didn't ask for an explanation... So why did you write 5 trips and how come only 4 days on 'this' line?
Me: Because one question asks how many trips in the last 5 years (5 trips) and the other question asks for days outside the US since becoming LPR (4 days)
IO: (Looks at me funny, crosses out the 5 trips makes it 1 )
IO: Can I also see your Marriage Certificate. Where's your wife.
Me: Here it is... I didn't thing she was needed for this Interview.
IO: What is she doing? At home taking care of the kid.
Me: Well, she's actually at Toddler Soccer... (I did swear to tell the truth...)
IO: So she's at home taking care of the kid.
Me: Actually she's not at home at this instant...
IO: Answer with a Yes or No! Is she at home...
Me: Yes!
IO: (Looking at the Marriage Cert) We need a Certified Copy!
Me: (Puzzled) Er.. it is a certified copy.
(IO pointed to some verbiage at the top of the certificate but I told her to flip it over to see the raised seal and stamp)
IO: Why didn't you send us a copy of the Back of the certificate. That's what tells us that it is certified!
Me: (Puzzled again as I was pretty sure I had copied both sides but I wasn't going to argue. Told her that I didn't have a copy of the back...)
IO: (Flipping through the file...) Here it is. You did send it to us...

Moral of the Story: DO NOT SEND DOUBLE SIDED COPIES. IOs DON'T TURN THEM OVER TO CHECK THE BACK.

Asked me a whole bunch of Rapid Fire Questions going over the entire N400
What's your full name... Wife's name... Marriage Date... Son's full name, etc...
...Communist?.. terrorist?... any other organizations other than the ones listed?...etc.
(she did ask for and write down my work history back to 1995 even though this was a marriage based application)
IO: Have you ever been arrested...
Me: No
IO: But you said that you were arrested
Me: That was for Traffic citations
(Asks me for details on each of the traffic citations, how many for speeding, any DUI (no), Any proof of payment (no but I have my DMV record - asked for copy)
IO marks the check box as NO, then writes 'See attached' for the paper with the list of my citations (5 over last 20 yrs) and my DMV record.
IO: Is your wife a US citizen
Me: Yes. Do you want to see the birth cert?
IO: No. Do you have your tax transcripts
Me: Yes
IO: Hold On. I think you alsready sent them in. (spends about 30 seconds looking for something)
IO: OK, Now onto the civics test:
1. Who Wrote Declaration of Independence
2. Who is the Commander in Chief
3. What is the President's Party
4. Name the two Polical parties
5. Name 3 of the original 13 states
6. Name one state bordering Mexico.
IO: OK, can you please read this sentence...
IO: Now write down 'There are 50 States'
IO: Spell out 50. This is a writing test. (I crossed out 50 and wrote FIFTY. She asked me to initial the change)

IO: OK, you've passed the tests. Can you take the Oath as written here? If so, please sign in these two places as you'd sign a check and Print your name here.
IO: Sign these photographs please (you have to sign them along one side)
IO: Hands me the the form with 'No decision can be made at this time' with the reason of 'Not Oath eligible until 01-30-2010' and said that if there are no changes between now and the 30th, I'll be approved and should get a Oath notice within 2-3 weeks after that.
IO: Have a nice Day. Bye.
Me: What if I don't get a letter by that time...
IO: Make an Infopass appointment. Have a Nice Day.

I collected my things and walked out. Looked at my watch, it was 10:05.

Edit 1:
(While the IO didn't really check much of my Documentation, she did see that I had two folders with me. One marked 'Originals' and the other marked 'Copies' nicely categorized with post-its . The first thing I did was to open both of them up - ready to serve up whatever document she needed.)
Edit 2:
I did get the year of my marriage wrong by one year. She offered up the correct year, I corrected my answer and we moved on...

Nice write-up and informative. One questions: What did she mean by if there are 'no changes between now and Oath date'.What kind of changes could these be or what is she referring too? Second question: Was she nice or a bit rough (this is how it reads..)

Nice write-up and informative. One questions: What did she mean by if there are 'no changes between now and Oath date'.What kind of changes could these be or what is she referring too? Second question: Was she nice or a bit rough (this is how it reads..)

She probably meant that if I went and robbed a bank between now and the end of the month, I wouldn't be approved.

Regarding the interaction, lets just say that before I went in, I was planning on asking the IO to approve the application knowing that the earliest available Oath date would be after 1/30. But after the interview, I chose to just take the 'Decision cannot be made' and walk away.

The tone was very methodical, to the point, no idle chitchat but not rude. Very different from the (marriage based) Green Card interview which was more 'Chatty'.

However, at no time did I think that she wasn't going to approve my application. She was just checking everything out. (there is a lot of GC/USC fraud after all).

One last thing for any of the Marriage based applicants thinking of taking your spouse over (at SF DO) and being 'lovey dovey' for the IO: The waiting room is two short corridors away from the door that takes you to the interview offices (more corridors past door F). The IO did not come out to get me (I was asked to go to door F via the announcement system) so I don't think being 'kissy' with your spouse in the waiting room is going to get you anything other than strange looks from others waiting for their interviews. (Or even be arrested if you attempt to provide a 'proof of marital union' in the waiting area :))

GungaDin

ha... it sounds like you and I had the same IO... except I got a bit of a feeling like she was being almost belligerent and accusatory. :D

ha... it sounds like you and I had the same IO... except I got a bit of a feeling like she was being almost belligerent and accusatory. :D

I went to door F and had a similar (probably the same) lady. Glad your interview went OK GungaDin - congrats. I'm now beyond my eligibility date and waiting for the OL (which she told me would arrive 2-4 weeks after the eligibility date). Still no update on the USCIS website for my status (still in the testing and interview phase), so I wonder if she's even approved my app yet.

I know i am posting this question in the wrong place, but i am getting an error when i try to create a new post . pardon me

As for N400 is concerned, Are u required to do the Medical Screening ? if so when is that,l is it before or after the FP ? what all records do you need to produce, I am sure I had all the immunization done which was needed in my childhood, I had produced those information when i had the medical screening for immigration. but its been 7 years and i do not have a clue where those documents are ?

any inputs ?

Update on my N-400 app

SF DO
5 Year Resident, Oath eligible 4/8/2010
-----------------------------

01/08/2010: Mailed N-400 via FedEx
01/11/2010: N-400 Delivered in Phoenix, AZ at 10:15AM signed by T EDLEMAN
01/15/2010: Check cashed

:)

Congrats to all that have recently passed their interviews.

I know i am posting this question in the wrong place, but i am getting an error when i try to create a new post . pardon me

As for N400 is concerned, Are u required to do the Medical Screening ? if so when is that,l is it before or after the FP ? what all records do you need to produce, I am sure I had all the immunization done which was needed in my childhood, I had produced those information when i had the medical screening for immigration. but its been 7 years and i do not have a clue where those documents are ?

any inputs ?

Sreelesh,

Unlike the I485, no medical screening is required for the N400. So you can rest easy!

No Updates

I went to door F and had a similar (probably the same) lady. Glad your interview went OK GungaDin - congrats. I'm now beyond my eligibility date and waiting for the OL (which she told me would arrive 2-4 weeks after the eligibility date). Still no update on the USCIS website for my status (still in the testing and interview phase), so I wonder if she's even approved my app yet.

Brit, just wanted to inform you that the website status will not change....you will just get the O/L.

Cheers!

Yeah, I think we probably had the same IO.Felt more like I was being 'processed' than being 'interviewed'.
But, in case we scare anybody else, it wasn't too bad. Just don't expect a 'Hello, How are you?' during the Interview. Be ready to present your documents, keep your answers to a minimum and you too will be done in 15 minutes.

BritBrat, as the online status doesn't change between now and after the Oath, do let us know when you get your Oath letter. (hopefully mine will follow 10 days after yours)