N-400 San Francisco timeline

SF Oath Update

Gave interview in SF on 4/21/08 and one family member had not received the oath letter. Called USCIS today and was told they are mailing oath letter today for June 10. Others in our family have it on May 20 and I guess the place must have filled up. The Customer Service came on line first and I had to ask for an Immigration Officer. Both were very nice and very efficient. Our experience with USCIS has been very good till date :)

Gave interview in SF on 4/21/08 and one family member had not received the oath letter. Called USCIS today and was told they are mailing oath letter today for June 10. Others in our family have it on May 20 and I guess the place must have filled up. The Customer Service came on line first and I had to ask for an Immigration Officer. Both were very nice and very efficient. Our experience with USCIS has been very good till date :)

Verylongtime - Thanks for the reply. How do you get to talk to the IO. I was only able to talk to a customer service person who read off of the computer screen and said "Your case is pending". When I told I already attended interview and got N-652, she repeated the same.. :confused:

Oath Update

Verylongtime - Thanks for the reply. How do you get to talk to the IO. I was only able to talk to a customer service person who read off of the computer screen and said "Your case is pending". When I told I already attended interview and got N-652, she repeated the same.. :confused:

I called at 8 am and was instantly connected to Customer service. I explained our family situation to the Customer Service lady and said I think my interview letter is lost so can you please check my A# and tell my status or transfer me to an Immigration Officer and after taking all my details she said the status is not updated and to hold on and she will transfer me. It took ten minutes on hold and the officer who came next asked for my date of birth, address, interview date and location, A# and receipt number and instantly told me the actual status that my Oath is on 10th June. Like I mentioned both were very courteous and helpful and asked me if there was anything else I needed help with.

My advise is for you to wait for a week and then call as the letters were supposed to be mailed yesterday the 13th for oath on 10th June. I also feel talking early morning is better than later in the evening and Mondays and Fridays are not good for response times and wait times.

I called at 8 am and was instantly connected to Customer service. I explained our family situation to the Customer Service lady and said I think my interview letter is lost so can you please check my A# and tell my status or transfer me to an Immigration Officer and after taking all my details she said the status is not updated and to hold on and she will transfer me. It took ten minutes on hold and the officer who came next asked for my date of birth, address, interview date and location, A# and receipt number and instantly told me the actual status that my Oath is on 10th June. Like I mentioned both were very courteous and helpful and asked me if there was anything else I needed help with.

My advise is for you to wait for a week and then call as the letters were supposed to be mailed yesterday the 13th for oath on 10th June. I also feel talking early morning is better than later in the evening and Mondays and Fridays are not good for response times and wait times.

Thanks again. I think I am going to hold off until next week and then call.

Lot of us in this forum including myself received our Interview letters from SF DO on Thursdays or Fridays, so DO mailing letters on Tuesdays is probably right. Keep your finger crossed, the oath letters might show up this week.

Anyways can all you please let everyone in this forum know once you recieve your oath letters

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot of use including myself received our Interview letters from SF DO on Thursdays or Fridays, so DO mailing letters on Tuesdays is probably right. Keep your finger crossed, the oath letters might show up this week.

Anyways can all you please let everyone in this forum know once you recieve your oath letters

Thanks Bayern. Please post if you receive OL.. If I dont get by end of the week, I will call next week.

Quick question.....can you go with your spouse(US born) and kids to the n-400 interview or you have to go alone. I will love my spouse to be there because I feel peaceful around him.....I am sorry I may sound like a pampared wife...:)

Quick question.....can you go with your spouse(US born) and kids to the n-400 interview or you have to go alone. I will love my spouse to be there because I feel peaceful around him.....I am sorry I may sound like a pampared wife...:)

Yes, you should be able to take the kids with you. I have seen people with kids (mostly babies and toddlers)

I am not sure if they allow another adult without the invitation. I went to the interview recently with my wife but she also had an appointment at the same day/time. It seems yours is a marriage-based N-400 application ? If so, I dont know how that works. I defer to someone who is a "marriage-based" N-400 applicant and has attended the interview at San Francisco.

Finally, dont worry about sounding pampered or anything. I found this forum serious, to the point and not judging or pickering.

Good luck!

If your application is marriage based, its better to take your spouse. Although it is not required, the first thing the IO asked me during my interview was "where's your wife"? Then he spent lot of time asking questions about my wife & marriage to make sure that we are still married, so having your spouse present will defenitely help.

I posted my interview experience on another thread;

http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1902963#post1902963

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my 2nd FP notice yesterday for appointment at USCIS Oakland office on 5/27. Just wondering what the chance is to get finger printed if I just walk in prior to the appointment date.

Thanks!

I received my 2nd FP notice yesterday for appointment at USCIS Oakland office on 5/27. Just wondering what the chance is to get finger printed if I just walk in prior to the appointment date.

Thanks!

It all depends on the DO and DO staff if they allow walk ins.

Completed SF interview today

Me and my wife -- completed the interview at the SF office.

9:10 am -- security at the gate checks for drivers license and app letter.
Parking lot just across the street and also a block away $2.50 for 20 mins.

Went in after security check -- no cell phones with camera, take off belt etc., no food or drink either-- and check in -- I got area D , wife got area E.
and an application for passport.

After barely 5 mins, the officer came in and called for a guy, who said he was waiting for his lawyer to show up, so called me up at 9 pm. Very friendly asian guy,made me raise the hand and swore me in.

Asked for passport and green card, opened my file and flipped through the pages, asked if I had changed employers -- I said yes, he added in the new company name and city. Do you live in the same address ? Still married to the same wife ? did you ever vote ? are you willing to serve if requried ? been filing taxes ? any children ?

then shifted to : who is the vice president ? how many senators ? what is the supreme law of the land ? thats it.

then he pulled out another form : said write down in cursive : I go to work every day -- jeez my handwriting is bad.

Also made me write out my name in front of the two photos he already had with him. Then handed me the n-652 signed with congrats, you have passed.

All was done in less than 10 mins. I shook hands with him , he looked pleasently surprised and said that you will get the oath letter in 4 weeks.

Did not ask if I had taken any trips outside since filing ( I had ) , did not ask for any citiations ( I had got documentation to prove that I had paid the ticks etc ) , did not ask for the SSS letter ( I had taken it along too).

I came out, my wife was still waiting to be called. She was called in after 10 mins. Her officer was a hispanic lady -- very professional and through.

She told her that you cannot change your middle name, just the last name, then my wife said ok I dont want to change my name! My Wife was asked on foreign trips, totalled up the dates on outside trips, asked her all the phone numbers, ssn, address. 10 questions and write down the two sentences: I am proud to be a teacher, I want to become an american citizen.
She also got the congrats you have passed and was told that it will take 2 months to get the oath ceremony completed.

Overall a very positive experiance, we were out by 9:30.

Application mailed: 12/01
RD : 12/10
ND: 12/10
FP : 1/17
Interview notice: 3/20
Interview done: 5/16
Oath: ??
passport :??

Oath Letter Received For 6/10

Interview done on 4/21 at SF. Received Oath letter for 6/10. Some family members interviewed on the same date had got oath for 5/20.
VeryLongTime

For SF filers, how much between:
1) Interview done to Oath letter received ?
2) Interview done to Oath date ?

thanks
tt tt