N-400 San Francisco timeline

Got passports in hand and naturalization certificate. 7 days in regular mode -- dont ever pay the expedite fee. yet to get the passport card.

I heard we need to send original naturalization certificate along with the passport application. Do they return it when you get your new passport.

Thanks
/antony

yes they do. but I heard that they send it in a different envelope not along with the PP. and it could arrive before or after the PP

yes they do

I got 4 letters the same day -- two contained the passpports for both of us and two contained the nat. certificates. Still waiting for the passport card.

Waiting for my oath letter

Hi, I am curious to see if anyone who had their interview around June 30th had already received their oath appointment letters (and for what date in August)? When I spoke with the officer after the interview she mentioned the timeline of around 2 weeks which passed yesterday but now looking at this board the dates seem to be all over the place...

Congrats Siddig,,,i was in the same ceremony as your were.

hey congrats,
I think it was a very good ceremony. especially the presenter from CIS, it's amazing how things change in minutes in terms of treatment and respect.
the only thing for me was when the passport guys said they would accept apps for the passport card, that would have saved $25, but hey I'm quite happy..

Finally the journey is over.

Dear Friends - Finally, long journey is over. I have completed oath ceremony at SF Masonic Center on July 15th. It was quite an interesting and impressive ceremony. About ~1000 or more people from ~110 different countries were naturalized together. I have arrived at Masonic Center at 7:50am (invitation letter says arrive before 8:00am). I took BART (don't want to drive and pay expensive parking fees) and got off at Embarcadero station. Google map says about ~ 1 mile or more so I decided to walk. However, it gave me a heck of exercise because it has quite an uphill on California. (If you decide to take BART and don't want to sweat like I did, please take a bus or taxi or train.)

The door to the hall did not open until 8:20amish and IOs start to check people in. They check invitation letter and GC. Once you got checked in, you are directed to a specific section of seating. I did not know why they do this until the end of the ceremony. Turned out that they match your seating with the chart that IOs use when they distribute the citizenship certificate to the correct person.

I am very impressed with how IOs are processing and organizing this event with a very orderly fashion.

The ceremony is o.k. What I have got really impressed is that they invited three elementary school kids, who turned out to be the winners (3rd, 2nd, and 1st?) of the essay contest on the subject "why America is better with immigrant people?" or something like that. (sorry about my memory.)
I am very impressed with their essay and writing skill. All of their parents are immigrants to USA. It was way better than President Bush's video speech, IMO.

I think the ceremony took about 2 hours or so. At the end of ceremony,
they talk about how to apply passport, voter registration etc. Then, IOs hand out the certificate to people. Bottom line is that the ceremony was smooth.

Thank you for all your help on this board.
I hope everybody get prompt processes including finger printing, interviews and oath.

Aloha_CA

P.S A couple of tips:

1. After the ceremony, I had to update my status at SSA. I tried to go to one in San Francisco downtown. The waiting line there was ridiculously more than 2 hours due to a lot of old people trying to inquire and straighten out their benefits. Instead, I went to SSA located either in Berkeley or El Cerrito.
There was no waiting time.

2. I had a international business travel scheduled within 4 days from the oath date to Toronto, Canada. I made an appointment at SF passport agency. My appointment was 1:00pm on the same oath day. If you need an expediate PP service, you can try making an appointment at SF passport agency using an automated phone line. Of course, you need a proof such as an airline itinerary/boarding passes showing your flight reservation/ticket. If your appointment is in the morning, you may get the PP the same day (i.e. late afternoon). Because my appointment was in the afternoon, I have to come back to the agency the next day. However, I have gotten my PP in 2 days with no problem. Oh, I did not get the passport card. They told me they will mail it to my home as soon as it is ready.

3. I had to renew my driver's license because of slight name change. After I updated my record at SSA, I went to DMV at El Cerrito. I've got the tip that DMV at El Cerrito is less crowded than ones in Oakland or Pleasanton. My friend was right! I was able to finish updating and renewing my DL with in 30 min and got out of DMV.

Question about Postponing Oath/Timeline

I have a question: My wife applied for citizenship through marriage--I am a natural born citizen-- earlier this year. She has just received her interview notice for Aug. 20. Unfortunately, I need to leave the country on Aug. 4 for 4-6 months for work. She was planning to come with me and we already bought our tickets. We expected the interview earlier in the summer, but had we known it would be in late Aug., I could have spend 2 months in Eur. earlier, then returned for a while. Now, however, I must be there from Aug until December at least.

It seems best to me for my wife to go ahead with the interview but to postpone the oath ceremony. Given that the oath ceremony is usually at least a month, and sometimes 2 or 3, after the interview, it is quite unappealing for us to be separated for so long, let alone have to pay for two apartments. I want to know if this is possible, if it is safer to postpone the oath rather than the interview as well, and how one goes about doing this. If anyone has any experience postponing the oath at the San Francisco office that would be very helpful as well. We would need to ask for a delay of 5 months or so.

Many thanks.

Andreas

Timeline so far:
Applied 2/11/08
FP in Oakland 3/13/08
Interview notice: 7/15/08
Interview: 8/20/08

Second Finger Print

Finally I received something from USCIS. Last week I gave my second fingerprint (only fingerprint no biometrics).

Does anyone have any idea if my namecheck nightmare over or not?

PD 2/27/2007
1 FP 3/23/2007
2 FP 7/16/2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ordered and got the passport card yet ? I have got a letter from the state dept that it is on track to begin production in July, no news yet.

Case status failed?

I got the following message when I just checked status. This is the first time I got this. I did FP on 6/28/07 and have been stuck in Name/Background check. Just wondering if it's a sign that I may get IL in the near future or simply a system glitch.

Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:

* Case Status Retrieval Failed
* This Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact the National Customer Service Center.