N-400 San Francisco timeline

N-400 timeline SF

Mailed in N400 March 27th 2006 certified mail
Priority date : March 29th
Status change on online case: April 13th 2006
April 21st - Received Fingerprint notice
Fingerprint Appointment : April 27th (Ink/manual finger print)
Called FBI same day and following week but they had not received my Finger prints. They stated that even though they are done manually/with ink, they are still submitted electronically.
May 5th - FBI received my fingerprints and sent them back to INS
May 14th - Online case updated (No status)

Hope this helps those tracking their application timelines.

Thanks!

Hi,

Could you please give me FBI's phone number? I want to call them to check my mom's FP result.

My mom did the manual finger print using ink too in San Francisco. We worried if the manual finger print would delay FP checking. I heard that some of my friends pasted the interview. But they have to wait for the FP results from FBI.

Thanks.

n400cali said:
Mailed in N400 March 27th 2006 certified mail
Priority date : March 29th
Status change on online case: April 13th 2006
April 21st - Received Fingerprint notice
Fingerprint Appointment : April 27th (Ink/manual finger print)
Called FBI same day and following week but they had not received my Finger prints. They stated that even though they are done manually/with ink, they are still submitted electronically.
May 5th - FBI received my fingerprints and sent them back to INS
May 14th - Online case updated (No status)

Hope this helps those tracking their application timelines.

Thanks!

San Francisco Timeline - FBI Number

FBI Number is 304-625-5590 -- wait to speak to a rep
Make sure you have your Alien Number i.e Green card number
Sometimes whoever comes online tells you that they cannot help you but if you are courteous and just tell them you were given this number to check, they usually do. I always had them look it up.
I estimate the ink/manual FP takes one week or longer based on the responses I read. Most people who did it electronically seemed to get it on the same day.
I expect the interview letter within the next 2 weeks if timelines are still accurate.

Good luck
Thanks,

My timeline in SF

04/29/2006 N400 mailed by registered mail
05/03/2006 N400 received by INS
05/10/2006 Check cached
05/12/2006 Notice date
05/15/2006 Receipt received by mail
05/16/2006 FP appointment received by mail for 5/23/2006
05/18/2006 FP taken electronically in San Francisco (walked in, center was completely empty, so receptionist asked if I want to proceed immediately, took about 15 min, very polite and corteuos staff)

Now I'll wait few days to check with FBI if FP went OK

Thanks for giving me the FBI phone number. I just called and was told they got my mom's FP request on April 29 and sent back the result on the same day.

She also got her interview letter last weekend. Her interview is scheduled on 7/17/06.

Update her timeline:
N-400 Received date: 3/28/06
FP date: 4/22/06
FP result returned to INS: 4/29/06
Interview notice received: 5/13/06
Interview date: 7/17/06

n400cali said:
Sometimes whoever comes online tells you that they cannot help you but if you are courteous and just tell them you were given this number to check, they usually do. I always had them look it up.
I estimate the ink/manual FP takes one week or longer based on the responses I read. Most people who did it electronically seemed to get it on the same day.
I expect the interview letter within the next 2 weeks if timelines are still accurate.

Good luck
Thanks,

longwaitCA said:
Hi,

Could you please give me FBI's phone number? I want to call them to check my mom's FP result.

My mom did the manual finger print using ink too in San Francisco. We worried if the manual finger print would delay FP checking. I heard that some of my friends pasted the interview. But they have to wait for the FP results from FBI.

Thanks.

Hi. How long have your friends had been waiting since their interview? I passed my interview on 4/20 and I was told to wait for the background cleared from FBI. But I heard nothing since then. I am wondering if your friends have the same problem. Thanks

n400cali said:

Good luck
Thanks,

This number can be used for people who had their FP taken for GC application too?

Got My Oath Letter today

It was posted on 5/17 from SFO. The Oath is on 6/6/6 ....some say devil's number ... hope nothing goes wrong on that day :rolleyes:

"Name Check" nearly scared me. Whew!!! It's probably all over now. Had it not been for that , this process would have been over last month along with my wife (all in 3 months). 16 days of anxiety is not at all too bad though.

BTW.. I had called up the USCIS customer service center yesterday. They did not tell me about this and asked me to call back after 3 months. They mentioned that People who applied in Oct 2005 are getting adjudicated now and my wife was extremely lucky to get it in 3 months. Not sure what the truth is or the facts are. Either they are looking at something different or they think that the callers are ignorant.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of them has got any news from INS. They passed their interviews in April too. I don't know how long they have to wait. They don't care about their citizenship. I guess they don't mind to wait.

Good luck to you.

jzhu said:
Hi. How long have your friends had been waiting since their interview? I passed my interview on 4/20 and I was told to wait for the background cleared from FBI. But I heard nothing since then. I am wondering if your friends have the same problem. Thanks

nanup,

are you the first one whose NC was cleared
within one week after the interview??

congrats!

rob

nanup said:
It was posted on 5/17 from SFO. The Oath is on 6/6/6 ....some say devil's number ... hope nothing goes wrong on that day :rolleyes:

"Name Check" nearly scared me. Whew!!! It's probably all over now. Had it not been for that , this process would have been over last month along with my wife (all in 3 months). 16 days of anxiety is not at all too bad though.

BTW.. I had called up the USCIS customer service center yesterday. They did not tell me about this and asked me to call back after 3 months. They mentioned that People who applied in Oct 2005 are getting adjudicated now and my wife was extremely lucky to get it in 3 months. Not sure what the truth is or the facts are. Either they are looking at something different or they think that the callers are ignorant.

rob waiter said:
nanup,
are you the first one whose NC was cleared
within one week after the interview??
congrats!
rob

Thanks

I am not sure how this happened. I was getting ready for a long and lengthy relationship with USCIS. May be I was a bit lucky for the first time or may be I became too panicky after the interview (after looking at other name case issues and time duration). Which triggered me to contact FBI via e-mail, Fax and Phone the same day of the interview instead of waiting for 120 days as the immigration officer suggested. That probably might have triggered the file being picked up from the stack. By contacting them so soon, I had nothing to loose anyway. Whatever it is, I am glad that hurdle is cleared.

Predication of My Oath Date

My Interview Date is on 6/16/2006, can someone help me to predict the
oath date. I will have to travel in next month after 6/16, so I would like
to know will my oath date on 6/20, or on 6/27.

For your refernce, I reviewed EVERY oath date of this borad, and find
they are all on EVERY OTHER TUESDAY

3/7 3/21 3/28 4/4 as it was going on,
now 5/9, 6/6....

So should mine be on 6/20 following this logic, But this is just a guess, I am planning for my trip now, and really appreciate someone can answer me for sure with his/her experiences.

Also, should I call INS to find out this schedule of oath???

Thanks in advance to give me your thoughts/experiencs!

Passport Application Date

Another question I'd like to ask for help from you is my USA passport application, I was told that it would take about 10 days even I expediate
through post office?

Is there anyway I can expediate that to less than 10 days?

Many thanks! I will share my interview experiences with you guys whether
it is successful or not.

REALLY APPRECIATED!

SFLUCK said:
My Interview Date is on 6/16/2006, can someone help me to predict the
oath date. I will have to travel in next month after 6/16, so I would like
to know will my oath date on 6/20, or on 6/27.

For your refernce, I reviewed EVERY oath date of this borad, and find
they are all on EVERY OTHER TUESDAY

3/7 3/21 3/28 4/4 as it was going on,
now 5/9, 6/6....

So should mine be on 6/20 following this logic, But this is just a guess, I am planning for my trip now, and really appreciate someone can answer me for sure with his/her experiences.

Also, should I call INS to find out this schedule of oath???

Thanks in advance to give me your thoughts/experiencs!

Well, the oath happens in Masonic center. Here is the link of Masonic center Calendar for naturalization ceremonies: http://www.masonicauditorium.com/calendar.html

Now, if you pass the interview and if your security check is cleared, the earliest you might get to take Oath is 6/20 or 7/11. But that's up to the USCIS's discretion. One word of advice, let the officer taking your interview tell you about the oath, rather than you asking him to give the date.

Normal emergency passport arrives in mail in 10 working days. In an extreme emergency you can even get a pass port in 2 days. You will have to provide all the available proofs of your emergency. Take all those during the oath and then speak to a passport officer there. You probably may have to go to the SFO passport office in person (appointment required:take it as soon as you get your oath letter).

Then comes the visa of the country you would be going to. Depending upon that the visa can be obtained in 1 day or 2 weeks. If the country you are visiting does not require any visa for US citizen, then this step can be skipped.

BTW, you can always travel out of US after your interview (with your green card), irrespective of whether you get the oath letter or not. If the oath date clashes with your travel dates, then you can request a oath rescedule. But I would strongly suggest you against it.

Thank you Nanup

Dear Nanup-- You are simply great in giving such a perfect answer.
I should have asked earlier rather than spending hours in "deriving" the dates! :rolleyes:

Here comes another question pls direct me through:

1) I have done the fingerprint, why is there still "security check?" after interview? Is this a random pickup? If so, how much change for me?

2) There is only 4 days after my interview 6/16 to 6/20, is that too short
period for INC to inform the center to schedule me for oath? What did you
witness many other cases, did anyone get into oath after interview for
less or equal to 4 days.

3) I do not quite understand why you advised "not to ask for oath date",
but rather let the officer tell me the oath" Do you mean if I ask, that will
make oath date happen later.

4) Generally, I really wish I can catch the oath date of 6/20, appreciate any
great guidance that I can follow to achieve that.

I cannot thank you more for this great great help!!!

My date

Dear All Friends, My date is

PD 2-21
FP 3-22 Result send back by FBI to INS on the same day
Intervie Notice 4-11
Interview Date 6-16
Oath Date ??
Get USA Passport for Travel ???

SFLUCK said:
1) I have done the fingerprint, why is there still "security check?" after interview? Is this a random pickup? If so, how much change for me?
2) There is only 4 days after my interview 6/16 to 6/20, is that too short period for INC to inform the center to schedule me for oath? What did you witness many other cases, did anyone get into oath after interview for less or equal to 4 days.
3) I do not quite understand why you advised "not to ask for oath date", but rather let the officer tell me the oath" Do you mean if I ask, that will make oath date happen later.
4) Generally, I really wish I can catch the oath date of 6/20, appreciate any great guidance that I can follow to achieve that.

1) FP is one of the many security checks. Read this article for more details http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/factsheets/security_checks_42506.pdf
"Name Check" is a nasty beast. That is the top most reason some of the applicants in this forum are getting stuck in this naturalization process. I came to know about my "Name check not cleared" issue only after the end of the interview. Check this thread http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848 to read about some experiences and horror stories.

2) It depends on vacancy. If the quota is already full then they may schedule you for the next available date. Theoretically you can get the oath the same day itself. One of my friends had his oath taken the next day itself at SFO. In SFO, they usually give the Oath appointment letter the same day of the interview (if you are all cleared then they ask you to wait after the iview to hand-over the appt letter)

3) It was just a suggestion. usually if you have a "all clear" situation then the officer himself would tell you the oath status, he might even ask you for your convenience for the nearest possible oath date available. If you have some issues with your application, he might tell you that you cannot take the oath and will give you the details (that's what happened to me). In either case you will know. After the interview if you are very sure that you are completely clear and the officer forgot to give you the details of the oath, then you probably can request him that information. My experience tells that it better to open your mouth, only when asked for, in any situation that involves any Government or its agencies.

4) If everything is clear, you can probably request that. But don't put you hopes high. If you get what you asked then excellent, else go with what the officer tells you. Its for your own good.

Many Thanks, Nanup-This is exactly what I want to know.
I read the article and the other site, the only thing I want
to say to you is "CONGRADULATIONS"! It is a disaster you
got the name check, but it is a miracle you got it cleared
in such a short time! I feel happy for you and your family.

1) Now, the next and almost the end, for the emergency
passport application which you advised I could get within
two days, where is the location I can apply, and what
document generally I can be qualified for this kind of emergency?

Appreciate again your great great guidance.

2) Also seems to me the critical path for going back to my
home country for emergency travel is:
oath-apply for USA passport-get a visa for my home country.

But this will take a lot of hassels. Is there any way more convenient
and fast in your mind, while still I can proceed the US passport application?

Thank you sir!
Best Regards

SFLUCK said:
1) where is the location I can apply, and what document generally I can be qualified for this kind of emergency?
I have not done this , so I am not an expert in this. Your best bet is to contact the SFO passport office in http://travel.state.gov/. AFAIK for extreme emergency passport a valid confirmed ticket/eticket is must.

SFLUCK said:
2) Also seems to me the critical path for going back to my home country for emergency travel is: oath-apply for USA passport-get a visa for my home country. But this will take a lot of hassels. Is there any way more convenient
and fast in your mind, while still I can proceed the US passport application?

None. At the time of Oath your green Card is taken from you. So you must have the US Passport and visiting country visa to go and come back.

Some one mentioned that you may be able to travel out of the US with your original country passport with a risk of not able to enter US again. But I doubt that, as during the check in time at the airport, if you hold a passport of any other country other than US you have to show GC or I94 which will not be available. so get the passport.

Lost of Old Passport, only have copy, any problem.

Now I got an issue before my interview which is just two weeks away now,
pls help to give your insight, experiences, thank you all so much.

My old passport which has most of my entry and departure records(about 9 times)expired a couple years ago, and when I renewed it with the new one,
I put my old one somewhere and could not find it.

I did fill in my entrace departure acc. to a copy of my passport and some of
the memory, and believe it is 90% accurate, since I only spent about one year totally out of 5 years by traveling for my job,seems to me I should well qualify for 2.5 years.

However my question for you all is will that be a problem at interview without the original copy of the old passport.(I can bring the black white copy with me)

If that is a PROBLEM? I still cannot find my old passport(chance is low),
what should I do to minimize the risk for the interview.

Really appreciate your help at this kind of critical issue for my US citizenship. This application is critical for myself as I am waiting for this citizenship then bring my wife here to rejoin. So thanks a lot!!