N-400 San Francisco timeline

vinaysg said:
My time line at San Francisco , CA center is
03/10/06 : Send by UPSC
:
03/06/06 : FP notice date
03/10/06 : FP notice received
03/15/06 : FP date @ 250, braodway str, SF

I am sure this is a typo. ;) Otherwise, you are one real extremely lucky person OR probably USCIS has broken all efficiency records.

Wouldn't it be nice if USCIS detects automatically that the person is eligible for the citizenship and verifies that the FP was already taken during GC (what are the chances that the FP will change) invites you for an interview to become USC even before you realize. But alas, that's fiction.

oasis said:
Got the letter today. No idea why so far away probably Oakland is more busier.

But online status did seem to be updated and STATUS vanished before I got the letter

Yeah, most probably.

Looking at vinaysg's post, things are moving faster in SFO compared to OAK.

As for the online status ...the only thing I get now is the java exception.

My Timeline! Almost Done

December 9th, 2005 Submitted Application N-400
December 20th 2005 Letter Received
January 3rd 2006, FP Notification in the mail
January 17th, 2006 FP taken
March 3rd, 2006Interview Notification Received
April 11th 2006, Interview in SF (passed :) )
April 20th, 2006 Oath Ceremony.

Pretty painless process, getting a US passport April 21st. :cool:

Another minor update.
I have a login at the uscis site with a portfolio which has my case number.
Today I noticed that the "Last updated" field has changed and indicates today's date. Furthermore, on clicking on the case number gives me the message that "The status for this Receipt number cannot be found ...". Hence, I would expect the interview letter soon.
And yes, many people have had many different experiences with the case status online. I am listing my experience, so that others can decide which category they fall into.
As per my experience, the "Last updated field" in the online portfolio is the most important field which would spell the "clerical" movement of the case. Also, It corresponds to the 3 phases of the application life.
Phase 1: Entered into the system. (My date was Mar 1 2006 - a guess)
Phase 2: Finger printing notice sent. (My date was Mar 10 2006)
Phase 3: Interview Notice sent. (My date was Apr 19 2006)

With warm regards
suriyan

Opps type , thanks for pointing

My Updated timeline :)
My time line at San Francisco , CA center is
03/10/06 : Send by UPSC
03/13/06 : N400 reach at Laguna Nigul , CA
03/23/06 : Check enchashed
03/14/06 : N400 Recipt date
03/14/06 : N400 prority date
03/30/06 : N400 Recipt sent by USICS
04/03/06 : Received N400 receipt
04/06/06 : FP notice date
04/10/06 : FP notice received
04/15/06 : FP date @ 250, braodway str, SF
FP done within 20 mins at SF :)
Now will be waiting for Interview letter :)

Yet another weird update ...
The "Last Updated" field in the online portfolio was again updated today. It shows Apr 20th. Maybe they sent an interview notice followed by a interview deschedule notice !

My timeline

Service Center: CSC
Submitted: Feb 17 2006
Received by USCIS: Feb 23 2006
Priority Date: Feb 23rd 2006
NOA Received: Mar 10th 2006
FP Received: Mar 13th 2006
FP Date: Mar 31 2006
Interview Notice Received:Apr 22 2006
Interview Date:Jun 22 2006
Oath Notice Received:
Oath Date:

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview Letter

The interview letter just arrived. Strangely, the case status online has not vanished yet.

Service Center: CSC
DO: OAK
Appl Posted On: 03/02/06
Received-USCIS: 03/06/06
Priority Date: 03/03/06
Notice Sent On: 03/22/06
Notice Received On: 03/28/2006
FP Notice Date: 03/24/06
FP Notice Received: 03/30/06
FP Date: 04/08/06 (2040 Telegraph Ave, OAK)
Interview Letter Notice Date: 04/19/06
Interview Letter Posted: 04/20/06
Interview Letter Received : 04/22/06
Interview date : 06/29/06 3:00PM Oakland Clay Street
Oath Notice Date:
Oath Notice Posted:
Oath Notice Received:
Oath Date:

Oath and Parking at Masonic

Just a minor update.
I did my oath on Apr 4. I did arrive late, and was probably one of the latest persons to arrive, all due to the weather and traffic, Thanks!

I arrived around 9:20 AM. Supposed to be there by 8:45 or so.
In any case, I was VERY lucky as they were closing the metal gate separating the lobby and the auditorium in about 5-10 min after I arrived!

Parking at the Masonic auditorium was full, I guess it was due to the rain as well. Luckily, I found the next garage (nob hill garage? or something..) right across from Fairmont is still taking in cars.

Apparently, they have $9 (NINE!) early bird special for the whole day as long as you pick up after 12-1 PM, which wasn't a problem for me as I needed to go somewhere else in the city by bus.

In short I was saved by that garage, otherwise I had to find parking somewhere else and it would take me longer.

The ceremony went pretty smooth. It took about a bit more than 1 hour, and it includes (in order):
- first you fill out all the info at the back of the ceremony letter
- hand it over to the usher along with your GC when you enter
- entrance of the ceremony party
- greetings from one of the district directors
- raising of the flag
- national anthem
- short speech by director
- keynote by one of the ceremony party (was touching, her parents were immigrant from China when Chinese was still segregated in SF)
- short video containing President's greeting as new fellow citizens, and music video of a patriotic country/pop song
- calling of each nationality to stand up
- oath of allegiance
- oath of allegiance to the flag
- oath for passport
- retirement of the flag
- ditribution of the certificates
- dismissal

Then you may register to vote, take pictures with the ROTC who were handling the flags, and also apply for passports.

That was it.

Passed Interview

..It was simple straightforward and took 15 mins. The Officer was very friendly too.

I passed, but I was told that I won't be given my Oath appointment as my 'Name check' has not been cleared by FBI yet. That surprised me as I thought they call for interview only after all those things get cleared. Not sure how long that will take. Any way I sent mail to FBI requesting the information.

My wife, who also applied/interviewed along with me, got her Oath date for May 9th.

Name check cleared?

When is the name check done? Is this during the finger printing stage? I am just curious because my finger prints were done with ink because they were not clear enough electronically. I have been calling FBI since 4/27/06 when I did them but they say they have not received them. So I wonder if my interview date will be affected. My priority date is 3/29/06 and so far it looks as though in San Francisco, they are processing at a similar speed i.e finger prints within 1 month and maybe interview 10-12 weeks after finger prints but of course it depends. Anyone with any experience on ink finger prints.
thanks,
n400cali

Call FBI - 304-625-5590

Btw, you should call FBI 304-625-5590 and just ask them if they received them and if they have reported the results back. They are really courteous and they will tell you if they received them and when so you know where they got stuck. It doesn't harm to check while the letter is in the mail. Most people call them and they seem used to it.
hth

Called FBI

I called up the FBI number. They told me that they don't handle 'Name Check' and it is handled at the Washington Location for which they don't have any direct public relations number. 'Name check' is different from the FP.

I found this thread very useful for the name check issue : http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848

As per my earlier post I sent a email (not snail mail) and fax to NNCP at Washington (as per the above link). I think it's a 'Wait and Watch' game for me now...who knows for how long.

Accompanied my wife for her oath taking today as a guest (we had both applied together). The total ceremony lasted about 1.15 Hrs (although we were there for more than 2.30 hours). Around 1170+ people took oath today. And they do this twice a month. The top three countries were Mexico, China and Philippines.

While I was there I went to their 'resolution counter' officer and inquired about the FBI NC issues. They said informally that lately it has been seen that if both husband and wife apply together the chances that one will end up in the name check is very high, specially if one spouses name contains full or partial name of 2nd spouse. Not sure how true this is...but forces me to believe as I fall in to this category.

eg:
Spouse1 : John Douglas Adams
Spouse2 : Mary John Adams

My take on this is: The person who lands up in the NC drama is usually the spouse whose name was checked 2nd (in which case the permutation of the names would have been already checked earlier which hits a duplicate or match). Must be a bug in their software. The work around probably may be to apply 120 days apart or in a different batch if you have common names.

PS : If you are planning to take toddlers for the oath ceremony as guests, believe me they will get bored very fast. There were quite a few in the ceremony today making lot of noise. Take them only if you must, it will make your trip more peaceful and less stressful.

interview done ...

sorry for the late post - the following was my experience at the interview :

was called in at ~2 pm ... there weren't many people around. the officer was very brisk with all her questions - polite, to the point & professional.
to begin with - she confirmed almost all entries on the form (very quickly) - but slowed down at the travel/address/employment history part. i had taken a whole bunch of documents with me - but was asked to present only my tax transcripts (last 5 years), and employment letters (all), in addition to the usual - the passport, gc, drivers lisc. etc. she then printed out 10 questions on a paper & asked me to write down the answers (all from the 96 list) and a simple sentence at the end of it all. in the meantime - she verified a few of my travel dates (form vs passport stamp), and other documents.
a few other questions to clarify some of the information ... and in the end - she asked me to sign the photo's + the form in 2 places - and said that she wanted me to provide her with re-issued employment verification letters. - specifically with the start + end dates & location. (i had obtained a couple of my letters while i was employed - so the end date was missing).

she handed me a form that basically said that i was to mail the letters (to the oakland office) within 30 days & a written decision would be mailed to me after that. (damn. so close, but yet ... )

anyway - hopefully it shouldn't take too long once i send in the letters.

--------------------------------------------------------
10/18/2005 : N-400 mailed
10/24/2005 : N-400 ND
11/29/2005 : FP Appointment
02/22/2006 : *FP submitted at Oakland
03/16/2006 : Online case status dissappeared
05/02/2006 : Interview date
??/??/2006 : oath
----------------------------------------------------------
* Was out of the country - so requested to postpone FP date - new appointment was given for 01/22/2006 (or any wed after until sometime in april)

sid# said:
sorry for the late post - the following was my experience at the interview :

was called in at ~2 pm ... there weren't many people around. the officer was very brisk with all her questions - polite, to the point & professional.
to begin with - she confirmed almost all entries on the form (very quickly) - but slowed down at the travel/address/employment history part. i had taken a whole bunch of documents with me - but was asked to present only my tax transcripts (last 5 years), and employment letters (all), in addition to the usual - the passport, gc, drivers lisc. etc. she then printed out 10 questions on a paper & asked me to write down the answers (all from the 96 list) and a simple sentence at the end of it all. in the meantime - she verified a few of my travel dates (form vs passport stamp), and other documents.
a few other questions to clarify some of the information ... and in the end - she asked me to sign the photo's + the form in 2 places - and said that she wanted me to provide her with re-issued employment verification letters. - specifically with the start + end dates & location. (i had obtained a couple of my letters while i was employed - so the end date was missing).

she handed me a form that basically said that i was to mail the letters (to the oakland office) within 30 days & a written decision would be mailed to me after that. (damn. so close, but yet ... )

anyway - hopefully it shouldn't take too long once i send in the letters.

--------------------------------------------------------
10/18/2005 : N-400 mailed
10/24/2005 : N-400 ND
11/29/2005 : FP Appointment
02/22/2006 : *FP submitted at Oakland
03/16/2006 : Online case status dissappeared
05/02/2006 : Interview date
??/??/2006 : oath
----------------------------------------------------------
* Was out of the country - so requested to postpone FP date - new appointment was given for 01/22/2006 (or any wed after until sometime in april)
Tax transcripts - Are these the tax return docs when u file or is this a letter from IRS which you had requested and if that is the case is there a form no. / phone no. which we can call to get these ?

N-400 in San Francisco

My mother applied for US citizenship. Today she received the interview notice. Here are the timeline for her application.

N-400 mailed: Mar 21, 2006
N-400 received: Mar 28, 2006
FP notice received: Apr 18, 2006
FP taken: Apr 22, 2006
Interview notice received: May 13, 2006
Interview date: July 17, 2006

My momther is a senior. She is taking a citizenship class in San Mateo adult school. Her teacher is the very good and has a lot of experiences on how to pass the interview.

Good luck to everyone here.