N-400 San Francisco timeline

nanup said:
Received my iView letter today
I thought all Oakland DO interviews were scheduled to happen @ the Clay St. Oakland INS office. Asking this since you have mentioned that your interview is in SFO.

Received my FP Letter

California Service Center, Oakland DO
Appl Posted On: 03/02/06
Received-USCIS: 03/06/06
Priority Date: 03/03/06
Notice Sent On: 03/22/06
Notice Received On: 03/28/2006
FP Notice Date: 03/24/06
FP Date: 04/08/06 (2040 Telegraph Ave, OAK)
FP Notice Received: 03/30/06
Interview Letter Notice Date:
Interview Letter Posted:
Interview Letter Received :
Interview date :

Interview done, oath soon

All,

Just to update everyone on my interview experience.
I was interviewed on Thursday 3/30 in Oakland (1301 Clay St # 380N).

I arrived at about 8:35 AM. My interview was scheduled for 8:45. There were quite a few people there, at least 4 other groups. As I was waiting there were 2-3 more groups arriving.

As I came in, no one was at the front desk, and it wasn't that clear to me that I should just drop the interview appt letter in the box. I hesitated to do that because I just hate to leave personal important letters lying around.

The interviewers were running late, so I was called in at 9:20.
It was an asian lady who called me in. After I stepped into the back office, she walked me through rows of cubicles and finally we arrived at her cubicle. Before I stepped in, she told me to stop there and stand and raise my hand for a short oath: "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me God?", to that I answer "Yes, I do".
She then asked me to come into the cube and sit down.

She was apparently chinese (Hong Kong?) lady, Tiffany Yuen, and she was very nice and friendly. First after I sat down, she asked me to bring out my passport, greencard, and ID/DL. She went through all the items in the N-400 forms while asking me to confirm various things like name, middle name, last name, place of birth, date of birth.

She also scanned through the number of times I was out of the US. I was a bit worried because I had forgotten to bring my older passport in which there was one stamp from the 1st trip outside US. She actually asked me about the stamps from my first trip, to which I just honestly said I didn't bring the old passport and told her that this passport is pretty recent. Luckily it was no big deal since I was only out 2 times since I became a PR.

She then went through the traffic tickets section, and asked me wheher I had a reckless driving record, or a DUI, or has been charged with hit and run.

She also asked me things like whether or not I was involved in any organization (to which I asked, is church considered an organization, and she answered no), or any communist organization, or neo-nazi, etc. Also asked me about whether I was in any status other than legal non-immigrant before I was 26, and I said yes. She asked me if I registered with Selective Service and then asked me to show her the Selective Service card.

At the very last section she asked me things like whether I support the US constitution or not, etc.

After this, she handed me a piece of paper with a sentence on it:
"They go to the store"
and she asked me to write:
"They buy many things at the store"

The 2nd piece of paper has 10 civic questions. She asked me to read them out loud and answer them one by one. I quickly read and answered them, and at question # 7 she asked me to stop. All of the questions I had to answer were from the 96 Civic Questions Sample in the Guide. The questions were like: Who's our current president? What are the colors of the flag? Why are there 100 senators in Congress? etc.

Then I had to sign (cursive, full name signature) both piece of papers and my N-400 document (2 signatures in the N-400). After that she made some space on the 2 photos right on the white part next to the head part for me to again sign my name, but this time first and middle at the top and the last name at the bottom, with pic of the head leaning 90 degrees to the right, so the names are going up if the photos are straight up.

After that she asked me if I am going to be available for oath ceremony on Apr 4, and so I said yes. She then gave me a piece of paper saying congratulations bla bla bla and an envelope with DS-11 in it to apply for a US passport. She then told me (several times) and made sure that I waited outside for the Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (N-445).

The interview finished at 9:35 or so, and then I had to wait outside for another 5 min or so for the N-445.

My oath is going to be on Apr 4 after all. I thought it would be full and I'll get the Apr 20th date, but I guess time was (has been) on my side... :)

Thanks for the info this forum has always been providing me with. I'll keep checking back and answer any questions anyone might have.

Take care!

oasis said:
I thought all Oakland DO interviews were scheduled to happen @ the Clay St. Oakland INS office. Asking this since you have mentioned that your interview is in SFO.

Yes, even I was under that impression, until I got the letter from USCIS indicating SFO address.

I suppose its all on case-by-case basis.

PS: I work just one block away from the SFO USCIS. So it works out good for me too :)

mobiliare said:
All,

Just to update everyone on my interview experience.
I was interviewed on Thursday 3/30 in Oakland (1301 Clay St # 380N).

I arrived at about 8:35 AM. My interview was scheduled for 8:45. There were quite a few people there, at least 4 other groups. As I was waiting there were 2-3 more groups arriving.

As I came in, no one was at the front desk, and it wasn't that clear to me that I should just drop the interview appt letter in the box. I hesitated to do that because I just hate to leave personal important letters lying around.

The interviewers were running late, so I was called in at 9:20.
It was an asian lady who called me in. After I stepped into the back office, she walked me through rows of cubicles and finally we arrived at her cubicle. Before I stepped in, she told me to stop there and stand and raise my hand for a short oath: "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help me God?", to that I answer "Yes, I do".
She then asked me to come into the cube and sit down.

She was apparently chinese (Hong Kong?) lady, Tiffany Yuen, and she was very nice and friendly. First after I sat down, she asked me to bring out my passport, greencard, and ID/DL. She went through all the items in the N-400 forms while asking me to confirm various things like name, middle name, last name, place of birth, date of birth.

She also scanned through the number of times I was out of the US. I was a bit worried because I had forgotten to bring my older passport in which there was one stamp from the 1st trip outside US. She actually asked me about the stamps from my first trip, to which I just honestly said I didn't bring the old passport and told her that this passport is pretty recent. Luckily it was no big deal since I was only out 2 times since I became a PR.

She then went through the traffic tickets section, and asked me wheher I had a reckless driving record, or a DUI, or has been charged with hit and run.

She also asked me things like whether or not I was involved in any organization (to which I asked, is church considered an organization, and she answered no), or any communist organization, or neo-nazi, etc. Also asked me about whether I was in any status other than legal non-immigrant before I was 26, and I said yes. She asked me if I registered with Selective Service and then asked me to show her the Selective Service card.

At the very last section she asked me things like whether I support the US constitution or not, etc.

After this, she handed me a piece of paper with a sentence on it:
"They go to the store"
and she asked me to write:
"They buy many things at the store"

The 2nd piece of paper has 10 civic questions. She asked me to read them out loud and answer them one by one. I quickly read and answered them, and at question # 7 she asked me to stop. All of the questions I had to answer were from the 96 Civic Questions Sample in the Guide. The questions were like: Who's our current president? What are the colors of the flag? Why are there 100 senators in Congress? etc.

Then I had to sign (cursive, full name signature) both piece of papers and my N-400 document (2 signatures in the N-400). After that she made some space on the 2 photos right on the white part next to the head part for me to again sign my name, but this time first and middle at the top and the last name at the bottom, with pic of the head leaning 90 degrees to the right, so the names are going up if the photos are straight up.

After that she asked me if I am going to be available for oath ceremony on Apr 4, and so I said yes. She then gave me a piece of paper saying congratulations bla bla bla and an envelope with DS-11 in it to apply for a US passport. She then told me (several times) and made sure that I waited outside for the Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (N-445).

The interview finished at 9:35 or so, and then I had to wait outside for another 5 min or so for the N-445.

My oath is going to be on Apr 4 after all. I thought it would be full and I'll get the Apr 20th date, but I guess time was (has been) on my side... :)

Thanks for the info this forum has always been providing me with. I'll keep checking back and answer any questions anyone might have.

Take care!

congrats !!

I will be there at the oath ceremony as well (the oath letter indicates my seating location as Section 3)

m38 said:
congrugulation!
by the way how easy is it to find parking place?

Assuming you are referring to the above Clay Street interview location, there are many parking garages in the nearby vicinity..

m38 said:
congrugulation!
by the way how easy is it to find parking place?

Very easy... I guess I was lucky too. I parked on the street behind the federal building (1 block from Clay, but you can enter from the backdoor of the building, which is actually closer since there is no courtyard) and put in 6 quarters. When I got back there was still a few min left.

recvd interview notice for may 2nd,

recvd interview notice for may 2nd, at 1:45pm , clay st, oakland
... arrived in the mail ~ a week/10 days ago

-------------------------------------------

10/18/2005 : N-400 mailed
10/24/2005 : N-400 ND
11/29/2005 : FP Appointment
02/22/2006 : *FP submitted at Oakland
03/16/2006 : Online case status dissappeared
05/02/2006 : Interview date

----------------------------------------------------------
* Was out of the country - so requested to postpone FP date - new appointment was given for 01/22/2006 (or any wed after until sometime in april)

San Francisco time line - vinay

When I submitted N400, I did not send GC copies and was worried.
But I got receipt saying, I need to get that when I will be schedule to apperar for interview....so thats good news :)
My time line at San Francisco , CA center is
03/10/06 : Send by UPSC
03/13/06 : N400 reach at Laguna Nigul , CA
03/23/06 : Check enchashed
03/14/06 : N400 Recipt date
03/14/06 : N400 prority date
03/30/06 : N400 Recipt sent by USICS
04/03/06 : Received N400 receipt

took the oath today

The process was simple and straightforward.

Since people have already described it in great details ( see page 12-13-14), I won't spend time again describing them.

Key things:

1. Take a black ink pen, as you need to sign your naturalization certificate in black ink.
2. Take a check book, if you want to apply for the passport at the ceremony.
3. Cellphones and cameras are allowed inside - we left them in the car, but saw people taking them in.
4. You can also register to vote there - probably a good idea to spend couple of mins to finish the process there, instead of never getting to it at home!!
5. In SFO, there is parking below the auditorium, they charge flat $13
6. Don't forget 2 copies of your passport photos, if you want to apply for the passport there.
7. After the ceremony, you can walk 4 blocks down on jones street to reach couple of great Indian& Pakistani restaurents ( my favorite is Pakwan & Shalimar) .

I asked the State Dept official on what should we do if we need to travel urgently out of the country before we get our passports, and he said to contact the state department, and they will help you.

Good luck to all of you.

My timeline:

Sent: Oct, '05
FP: Dec '05
Interview: Mar '06
Oath: Apr '06

Oath - SFO - Masonic Center..

Attended the oath ceremony at Masonic center today - SFO

1003 folks from 90 countries were naturalized today. Standard ceremony
as all of the others have described it so far.

Applied for the US PP at the local post office..

Good luck to everyone..Will be hanging in this forum for a long time

nanup said:
Yes, even I was under that impression, until I got the letter from USCIS indicating SFO address.

I suppose its all on case-by-case basis.

PS: I work just one block away from the SFO USCIS. So it works out good for me too :)
By the way - did your online status disappear when you got the interview letter ? I had FP exactly 1 week after you and hence trying to track the interview letter and date.

oasis said:
By the way - did your online status disappear when you got the interview letter ? I had FP exactly 1 week after you and hence trying to track the interview letter and date.
Frankly, I am not sure how that 'online status' thing works. I did not get any status information from the website, since the beginning ,until the iView letter was processed. Prior to that it used to always indicate "Receipt Number cannot be found". Now also it says the same thing if I enter the WSC number directly, at https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do .

One interesting fact I discovered is that, if you create profile via https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/termsconditions.jsp?contextType=CU_EN and then add the receipt numbers in the list, it shows the current status. Not sure if this will vanish one day. You can put anyone's receipt number here (I have around 5 in my list).

As for the iView location, one of my friends who has the same date as mine and is living in Fremont has got the interview scheduled at OAK. I live in the tri-city (Ple/Dub/Liv) area .... not sure if that is a deterministic factor to be given SFO. Or it probably might also be something to do with sharing the schedule between SFO and OAK as per vacancy. Frankly speaking, I am glad that I got the iView appointment. I would have been still happy, even if it was scheduled at North-Pole :D

nanup said:
Frankly, I am not sure how that 'online status' thing works. I did not get any status information from the website, since the beginning ,until the iView letter was processed. Prior to that it used to always indicate "Receipt Number cannot be found". Now also it says the same thing if I enter the WSC number directly, at https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do .

One interesting fact I discovered is that, if you create profile via https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/termsconditions.jsp?contextType=CU_EN and then add the receipt numbers in the list, it shows the current status. Not sure if this will vanish one day. You can put anyone's receipt number here (I have around 5 in my list).

As for the iView location, one of my friends who has the same date as mine and is living in Fremont has got the interview scheduled at OAK. I live in the tri-city (Ple/Dub/Liv) area .... not sure if that is a deterministic factor to be given SFO. Or it probably might also be something to do with sharing the schedule between SFO and OAK as per vacancy. Frankly speaking, I am glad that I got the iView appointment. I would have been still happy, even if it was scheduled at North-Pole :D
Yeah. I live in Fremont too. Probably that does play a part. I am waiting to see when my interview will be set for.

So when the status changes online what type of changes do you generally see. Mine still says the same 330 days stuff. Since I am done with my FP and am waiting for my iView letter would appreciate if you can tell me what type of status messages come by.

nanup said:

I am under a different Service Center (VSC) and District Office (Washington, D.C.) and I find the only status function completely useless. At least for N-400s. I don't know about other petitions/applications.

In my portfolio, it still lists 02/17/2006 as last updated. As you can see from my timeline, it is not really related to a lot. FP appointment and FP taken did not relate to an updated online status.

-------
N-400 @ VSC
PD: 01/17/06
Check cashed: 01/23/06
ND: 02/14/06 (received 02/18/06)
FP notice: 03/01/06 (received 03/05/06)
FP: 03/15/06 (FBI reported back to USCIS the same day)
ID/OD: N/A

Interview schedule Jun 13 @Oakland

Got the letter today. No idea why so far away probably Oakland is more busier.

But online status did seem to be updated and STATUS vanished before I got the letter

nanup said:

update: FP notice:My time line at San Francisco , CA center is

My time line at San Francisco , CA center is
03/10/06 : Send by UPSC
03/13/06 : N400 reach at Laguna Nigul , CA
03/23/06 : Check enchashed
03/14/06 : N400 Recipt date
03/14/06 : N400 prority date
03/30/06 : N400 Recipt sent by USICS
04/03/06 : Received N400 receipt
03/06/06 : FP notice date
03/10/06 : FP notice received
03/15/06 : FP date @ 250, braodway str, SF