N-400: 1 yr since interview...still waiting

Security Check

Shaky ,

Most of the poeple do the oath 3-5 months after the interview...
Any idea why may take more..

Thanks

Philadelphian

Just FYI.

I have friends whose cases are handled by Oakland, CA and San Jose, CA offices. All of them had their oath ceremonies within 1 or 2 months from interview.
None of them had any delays due to name check. I wonder if there are some names (unfortunately) which trigger a more thorugh check or people from certain countries have more thorough name checks.

In San Jose, my friends had their whole process completed in less than 12 months (it took me 16 months from start to finish)

xyzUser

Philadelphian,

If you read the messages above you will see that my Oath has delay of 11months after the interview. No reason for this except that someone in CBIS stucked my file in temporary folder and stayed there for 9 months! After waiting for so long finally tomorrow is my Oath ceremony.

MTG

Hi XYZuser,

I had my interview in Oakland, ca in first week of Jan 04. The CIS didn't mention about any name check. CIS recommended my case for approval. So far two weeks have passed since interview. I am waiting for Oath Ceremony. But when I see messages from shaky, and ibm101 I feel very nervous. I heard most of the people from Oakland, and san Jose received Oath letter in about 1month time after interview, and they were done with Oath Ceremony in about 2 months period after interview. I will let you guys know if I receive anything in mail. With all due respect I have question for shaky, and ibm101. Do you have muslim sounding names? That could be the reason for delay?

HBK1HBK

YES my name is a Muslim name.

one of my friend whos name is also muslim name got done with oath with in 45 days after interview, and he is from my state and had interview in same office i had. so i dont know how these things are run...if run at all.

Shaky,

Thank you very much for your quick response. My guess is your name must be a very popular muslim name. They want to do a thorough name check just to make sure everything is OK?

Shaky,

I think they do all checks before interview. But during interview if the CIS has some doubts they do another name check. But I could be wrong also.

hbk1hbk

no its not ... in fact its very rare muslim name , my name does not have Mohammad , or Ali or Sheikh in it.but again who knows what fbi wants to look into.i hope u get ur oath fast because waiting 7 months and more for oath......:eek: i dont have words to explain, since we have goals , someone have to adopt a child or someone wants to apply for her fiance or wife or like me...someone wants to file petition for his sick mother, so she could come here and live with his son .and get good medical treatment.

Shaky,

You are right. I want to meet my mother overseas after long time. I am waiting for Oath Ceremony, and I will travel after getting US passport. You should write letter to your CIS who interview you. They should be able to tell why Oath is delayed.

Shaky,

Are you from a country which is on watch list? My guess is that people from certain countries are under more scrutiny than others. But I could be wrong also.

hbk1hbk

my friend ..someone told me to go in person and put inquiry on my case to the interviewer so i could know why its delayed....but to me that came out as a joke.... i waited 5 hours in line to get in and took off from work. and got no responce...and it was in oct 2003. lol

Shaky,

Talk to some good immigration attorney. You may have to spend some money but it could be more helpful. Let you attorney handle your case, let him correspond with INS

shaky,

To seek Congressional help, spk with Sen Saxby and Kennedy they are on the Senate comt that handles Immigration....

Hi Shaky,
I know it might be frustrating to read word 'wait' but my advice to you is not to do anything at this time beacuse in many cases they delayed oath for one year. However if it goes over one year then you should consult an attorney or congressional help. I hope you get your oath letter soon and sponsor your sick mother.

My question: did you get 2nd fingerprint notice yet? I read that if you get a second fingerprint notice thats a good sign. It means they are working on your file.

case filed april 20th 2002
fingerprint notice feb 2003

interview july 2003

ok i think fingerprints are good for 15 months so i still have time , it took ins almost one year to schedule me for fingerprints and took only 5 months from fingerprints to interview.... i dont know why but its weird timing. and now oath, dont know when.

Hi Shaky:

My name chk is pending since February, 2003. I already had my interview in July, 2003. I am really disgusted. I need to do international adoption. I know a lot of Muslim friends who got their FBI name Chk real fast and they are all citizens now. Its not a muslim name thing ...God knows what it is.

Really frustrated

ibm

i agree...dont know whats going on.

my couple of friends went to interview months after me and are now citizens. they tell me something is wrong with my case. maybe they are right ... but i guess , what could be wrong.

i also heard thet uscis is backed up big time, then why they are giving oath notifications to ppl right after interview if they have already millions applicants waiting for oath ceremony schedule.
it dont make sense...i think they are not backed up its something else maybe we all waiting for more than six months have something wrong in our cases, and it looks like uscis is taking their time to give us reason on , why they are denying our cases.

i will consider myself lucky , even if i get a letter saying i am denied citizenship. atleast i wont have to wait.

this is totally BS. what a department we have to deal with.

shaky:

Based on your postings on this forum my assumptions are:

- There is nothing wrong with your case except delay due to unknown reasons
- When they interview you and then send your name background check, it takes long time bcause the examiner just take his/her time to do clear the files because he/she is too busy with every day cases.
- Sometime USCIS staff send the file to storage w/o realizing that the case is still pending.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posting that I know a persons (female/non-muslim) from a non-muslim country whose Oath letter was issued after two year (approx) and with the help of a Congressman's office.

I say it again, just wait and be patient and go on with your life. Best wishes and Good luck.
One day you will post here that 'finally' I am a US Citizen. We are all waiting for your lucky day.
:)

Re: ibm

Originally posted by shaky
i agree...dont know whats going on.

my couple of friends went to interview months after me and are now citizens. they tell me something is wrong with my case. maybe they are right ... but i guess , what could be wrong.

i also heard thet uscis is backed up big time, then why they are giving oath notifications to ppl right after interview if they have already millions applicants waiting for oath ceremony schedule.
it dont make sense...i think they are not backed up its something else maybe we all waiting for more than six months have something wrong in our cases, and it looks like uscis is taking their time to give us reason on , why they are denying our cases.

i will consider myself lucky , even if i get a letter saying i am denied citizenship. atleast i wont have to wait.

this is totally BS. what a department we have to deal with.

Hi Shaky: I forgot to mention, Yes I do have a muslim name. however, all my friends with more ferocious muslim names got their citizenship eventhough they applied after me.

Which state do u belong? Me in in California (oakland is the place).

Have sent a letter to congressmen? They say it will take one month for the enquiry. let see... :confused:

I can confidently say something may be wrong, using myself as an example. i had the interview in may 03, last week in november i called the 800 number to find out what was wrong, i got a mail from Fresno, CA later saying my application is being reviewed by a supervisor, when i physically went there, the customer service person called my interviewing officer to find out what is going on, i later met with her and was able to find out what the problem was, although she did not detail it but she said once an application is flagged for any reason, they will be looking at everybit of details which may now totally delay the process. being me i was able to nail it down, now i have supplied the needed docs through my lawyer and hopefully my case will be resolved,
Do not wait anymore, visit them, talk to your congressman, someone must tell you what is wrong with your application.