N-400: 1 yr since interview...still waiting

To Shaky, IBM, ojay,

I would say the following things can delay your case:

1. If you had too many trips overseas to different countries?

2. You were unemployed for long time after getting your green card.

3. If some body shop company sponsored you for green card.

4. If your name is a very common name, and it sounds like a muslim name.

5. If you were ever out of status before getting your green card.

I do not have a muslim name, the hold up is caused by a screwup in my marital date and the issue has been addressed in form of supplemental docs presented, it should also be noted that i had been previously called for oath taking ceremony- 2 days after my interview only for them to cancel the invitation, if i did not bother to go in and find out what was wrong i probably will still be waiting, common sence should prevail here, these folks will take care of an umblemished application first compared to ones with problems, i know i am not a crook - not one ticket since i moved to the US seven years ago yesterday and never been arrested, i am sure this will be resolved because i can vouch for my good character.

Ojay,

Did they tell you about this problem at the time of interview? Did they tell you "You have been recommended for approval ...." at the time of interview?

They never said anything at the interview, the papers i got at the end of the it said a decision cannot be taken at this time, she indicated that they will do some background check and this will take 3 days to 5 mo.
That was all.

Ojay,

I had interview three weeks ago. They didn't say anything about name check. They said "You have bee recommended for approval ...". The CIS said, she has recommended me for approval. But her supervisor will check everything one more time before approving it.

What you think about my case? I am waiting for oath ceremony now for three weeks.

Thanks

HBK1HBK

Three weeks is still early, i know in some cases some people have been known to take the oath the very same day they had their interview, for others it has been longer, i will say conservatively depending on your location, it may take 1-4 mo.
I wish you the best of luck.

Originally posted by hbk1hbk
To Shaky, IBM, ojay,

I would say the following things can delay your case:

1. If you had too many trips overseas to different countries?

2. You were unemployed for long time after getting your green card.

3. If some body shop company sponsored you for green card.

4. If your name is a very common name, and it sounds like a muslim name.

5. If you were ever out of status before getting your green card.

Hi Hbk:

Thx! for potential reasons. let me tell u that I do not belong to the above category at all except from having a muslim name. But had that been the case only my firends with more danger/common names would have been the potential target for delays as well. i am sorry I have no reason to understand why this delay?:mad:

Hi IBM,

My suggestion is go to oakland, ca office, and meet the CIS who interviewed you. The CIS name is mentioned on that form they gave you at the end of interview. Take copy of that form, and the interview letter, and talk to your CIS. I am sure they will be helpful.

Originally posted by hbk1hbk
Hi IBM,

My suggestion is go to oakland, ca office, and meet the CIS who interviewed you. The CIS name is mentioned on that form they gave you at the end of interview. Take copy of that form, and the interview letter, and talk to your CIS. I am sure they will be helpful.

Hi hbk:

Thx for ur advice. U know they (oakland people)do not let u enter their office. Even if u r lucky to enter they will just enter the A# on their computer and say sorry ur name chk is pending and we cannot do anything. PLz do keep me posted about ur oath.:(

Hi IBM,

I think you should write a letter to your CIS, Oakland Office that you are waiting for very long time. You would like to know the current status of your case. Include a copy of your interview letter, and the form you received at the time of interview with the CIS name. You should take some attorney's help in drafting your letter. Then mail it to Oakland, Ca office with Attenion: Your CIS name at the top. Send this letter by certified mail. This may have more impact then going there in person, and waiting in line for hours. Also could you please tell me if your CIS was a guy or a lady?

hbk1hbk

My suggestion is go to oakland, ca office, and meet the CIS who interviewed you.

My friend i dont think u can have meetings with those officers.or i dont know any offices where that can be done.

secondly.... i dont fall in any category u stated , only the name is, but that is also not mohammed or sheikh.

we ppl...who been waiting for oath for 7 months or 1 year...have done everything we could, wrote letter to cis, went in person to local offices with 5 hour wait in lines , and went to senators office , went to congrassman's office, called natinal customer service .... mailed inquiry to check status on FBI name checks......done everything.....

if u know anyother step different or more effective than those...plz share....i appreciate ur time and help.

lets hope u dont become one of us waiting for 8 months, because in california its faster and even the delay is faster than here in new york. u just passed interview weeks ago, but if u will have to wait this long , and there would be nothing u can do to find out whats going on with ur case.... u would know how bad it is.

Re: hbk1hbk

Originally posted by shaky
My suggestion is go to oakland, ca office, and meet the CIS who interviewed you.

My friend i dont think u can have meetings with those officers.or i dont know any offices where that can be done.

secondly.... i dont fall in any category u stated , only the name is, but that is also not mohammed or sheikh.

we ppl...who been waiting for oath for 7 months or 1 year...have done everything we could, wrote letter to cis, went in person to local offices with 5 hour wait in lines , and went to senators office , went to congrassman's office, called natinal customer service .... mailed inquiry to check status on FBI name checks......done everything.....

if u know anyother step different or more effective than those...plz share....i appreciate ur time and help.

lets hope u dont become one of us waiting for 8 months, because in california its faster and even the delay is faster than here in new york. u just passed interview weeks ago, but if u will have to wait this long , and there would be nothing u can do to find out whats going on with ur case.... u would know how bad it is.

U know Shaky is right hbik...I have done all those things. Infact I submitted by entire biodata starting from my student visa to job in US etc. I also gave my A#, DOB, tax return info everything but still no response.....:confused:

Hi shaky, and IBM,

I just read message posted by ERIC, according to him only some N-400 applications go through more security checks. He just completed his interview, and is waiting for security checks. I think in you case the delays are caused by security checks, and INS can't do anything but just wait for the results from other agencies.

hbk1hbk

hello bhk1hbk...

u just finished ur interview and we can see u are lil hyper :)

i was the same way when i finished mine,,, its not unusual, actualy. if u read my previous posts which i posted in july 2003 after finishing my interview i was same way.....if it will take u 16 months to take oath after interview u will see how this wait will fade ur all hopes...

but we dont hope for that for u... i wish u recieve ur oath letter by overnight mail very soon.

Shaky,

How long have you been waiting for this security-check thing? have you gotten your oath letter yet? Which INS location?

Sorry for asking about something you must have mentioned before in previous posts, but I could not find it.

Thanks

eric 711

8 months and still waiting for oath....

new york * garden city* local office....

and i dont know what kinda check is delying my case BEcause Cis never replied to my inquiries telling me the cause....

maybe my file is sent back to storage without scheduling me for oath. who knows...

Re: eric 711

The officer interviewing me said every once in awhile they have to check their system to see if the response has come across from other agencies or not. She said they check once a month. But then who knows ....

Originally posted by shaky
8 months and still waiting for oath....

new york * garden city* local office....

and i dont know what kinda check is delying my case BEcause Cis never replied to my inquiries telling me the cause....

maybe my file is sent back to storage without scheduling me for oath. who knows...

eric711

yes that could be.... fbi told me that they cleared my name and sent back to USCIS on 8th december 2003....so lets see when some angel officer goes there and sees my results and cares enough to update my file .... so i can start waiting for my oath schedule for next 6 months...