My Naturalization Interview Experience

Lazerthegreat

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am very excited to make the announcement that everything went well in my naturalization interview today.

My interview was supposed to start at 9:25AM. After getting up at 4:00AM in the morning , I wanted to make sure that I reach the office on time in Chicago downtown (paranoid or what? ). Seriously, there is a film shoot going on in Chicago downtown (Transformer 3) and they have blocked a large area.

My name was called at around 10:15AM when an African American lady officer invited me in. She was polite for the most part and as soon as we got into the office she jumped into test questions without even taking Oath. I was a bit surprised but tried to answer all questions as calmly as possible (Incidentally I answered all correctly). Only after that she asked me to rise and raise my right hand.

She asked me how I obtained my permanent residency to which I applied thru Asylum. The only question from my foreign trips was my single visit to COP after becoming permanent resident. She did not grill me too much on that. Then she looked at my RP and said that since it was expired she is going to take it away. I said OK. She browsed thru my national passports quickly (both expired). Also she looked carefully in her pile of papers and browsed thru them for a minute or so which I believe was my I-485.

Then she browsed thru my N-400 application and asked questions, only the ones in which she was interested in (not line by line). She asked me to sign the application and sign my photos (when she did that, I knew I was onto something).

Then she asked me for an Oath Date. I laughed and said that I can do it tomorrow. She said tomorrow is not available but Wed, Jul 14th is to which I agreed. She told me that I have to wait in lobby to get my Oath letter. While walking me down the hallway she told me that liked my "Neck Tie" to which I jokingly said that I especially purchased for this occasion today.

Overall nice experience. For those of you who are interested, I visited COP only once after getting GC. Although officer asked me about the trip in a casual way, she never tried to go over details such as why I visited etc. Also she seemed to be hung up why I did not apply for Selective Service and checked something in her computer. I told her that I was a lawful non-immigrant at the time and that's why I did not apply. She moved on after that.

Good luck to you all. I can't wait for my Oath day after tomorrow. I will give all of you a quick update of that also. Although I am very happy today but a firm believer in , "It ain't over until it is over". Thus I am looking forward for Oath.

Please you do not need to copy the whole message if you choose to reply...

congratulation LAZER, iam very very happy for you, your immigration journey is finally over and good bye to all the stress,
my best wishes to you and good luck

CONGRATULATION
what a great day for you man..i'm very happy..everytime that i see the guys from this furum getting their citizenship i get exited and really happy..gosh i want 2011..i need to aply for mine sooooooon..the third month of 2011
hugs man..enjoy your freedom

Congrats..

Very very happy for you... It takes a new meaning when both of us went through the same thing at the same time.... Enjoy your freedom

Congratulations! I know you have been waiting a long time. Please let us know how the oath ceremony went. It makes me very happy to read these stories. I can live vicariously till it's my naturalization time.