• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

My interview experience - US Embassy Bern

Zurich_girl

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone!

I just came back from my interview and I have now the immigrant visa in my passport and the envelope to hand in when I enter the US.

In the past few months I have read and contributed on this forum and I have found it extremely helpful.

My interview was in Bern as I live in Switzerland. Here, you only can enter with your documents and your wallet. No handbags are allowed. I did not know that. Conveniently, people are told that they can leave their bags at a bakery nearby for a fee.

The wait outside was about 20-25 min. I got in and I was told to go into a separate room where someone from the embassy took my documents. She was not interested in my high school diploma and returned that one to me I think because I have 2 university degrees. She was also not interested in my employment contract, my salary slips, my bank account statement - got that all back. Never asked me for a letter from a sponsor. Asked me when I plan to leave for the US and whether I plan to get transferred with my current employer. Send me off to pay the fee - USD 819; I paid cash. Then took my finger prints. Told me that my interview will be this morning - initially they have told me that it would be in the afternoon. Then she told me to wait in the general waiting room.

I have waited for about 10 min, then then another officer called my name. He had all the original documents. I was sworn, then signed the forms I have sent to KCC. Asked me how many times I have played the lottery (10 times). Then asked me what I do and where I got my education. His last question was where I intend to live in the States. Then he told me that I can pick up my visa today in the afternoon if I wanted to. I agreed and came back after lunch to pick it up.

Everything was really efficient. I thought I would get my passport in the mail but they gave it back to me the same day.

I plan on looking for a job from here and then flying to the US to activate once I have an interview. Does anyone know whether I can present the stamped visa in my passport when I go for an interviews as some sort of a temporary green card? I have a social security number already from back when I used to live in the States. I have asked on the forms to the KCC for the social security card to be re-issued as the one I have now says "not authorized for work".

I hope my experience is helpful and I wish all of you the best of luck!

Zurich_girl...

congratulations on success!!!

I have a question about your interview. My brother is having one in Tbilisi, Georgia...and it's scheduled for 2 pm...I was wandering if he get's there early enough...his family might get early appointment???? please share your infor an=bout interview time, and waiting time there....

Thanks

Hi Lazania,

I really cannot predict what they will do in Tbilisi if he shows up early on the interview day. He might get in quicker or he might just wait and wait. I got there half an hour earlier than my appointment but then had to wait outside.

Good luck to him!

Hi everyone!

I just came back from my interview and I have now the immigrant visa in my passport and the envelope to hand in when I enter the US.

In the past few months I have read and contributed on this forum and I have found it extremely helpful.

My interview was in Bern as I live in Switzerland. Here, you only can enter with your documents and your wallet. No handbags are allowed. I did not know that. Conveniently, people are told that they can leave their bags at a bakery nearby for a fee.

The wait outside was about 20-25 min. I got in and I was told to go into a separate room where someone from the embassy took my documents. She was not interested in my high school diploma and returned that one to me I think because I have 2 university degrees. She was also not interested in my employment contract, my salary slips, my bank account statement - got that all back. Never asked me for a letter from a sponsor. Asked me when I plan to leave for the US and whether I plan to get transferred with my current employer. Send me off to pay the fee - USD 819; I paid cash. Then took my finger prints. Told me that my interview will be this morning - initially they have told me that it would be in the afternoon. Then she told me to wait in the general waiting room.

I have waited for about 10 min, then then another officer called my name. He had all the original documents. I was sworn, then signed the forms I have sent to KCC. Asked me how many times I have played the lottery (10 times). Then asked me what I do and where I got my education. His last question was where I intend to live in the States. Then he told me that I can pick up my visa today in the afternoon if I wanted to. I agreed and came back after lunch to pick it up.

Everything was really efficient. I thought I would get my passport in the mail but they gave it back to me the same day.

I plan on looking for a job from here and then flying to the US to activate once I have an interview. Does anyone know whether I can present the stamped visa in my passport when I go for an interviews as some sort of a temporary green card? I have a social security number already from back when I used to live in the States. I have asked on the forms to the KCC for the social security card to be re-issued as the one I have now says "not authorized for work".

I hope my experience is helpful and I wish all of you the best of luck!

congratulation your interview was smooth. did the co ask questions about life back in the usa ?

Congrats, Zurich_girl. Your immigrant visa serves as a temporary I-151 (permanent resident card) for one year. You can use it as a green card for that period. You, however, need to activate your visa within 6 months after its issuance by entering the US. Good luck.

My child is turning 21 year old on the 27th of February 2012.

hello!!

My interview is on the 3rd of February 2013, and my son is tuning 21 on the 27th of Feb.

Do you thing there will be enough time if we passed the interview to enter the US before his birthday??

Advise.

Hi. My name is Mirage and am a Cameroonian currently working in UAE. I've never tried the dv lottery before but wish to this year(2016). If I win the dv lottery, do I need to go back to my country to process the documents required? Will I attend an interview here in Dubai? I just want to know before time. #tobeforewaristobeforearm#

Last edited:
Hi. My name is Mirage and am a Cameroonian currently working in UAE. I've never tried the dv lottery before but wish to this year(2016). If I win the dv lottery, do I need to go back to my country to process the documents required? Will I attend an interview here in Dubai? I just want to know before time. #tobeforewaristobeforearm#

If all your documents are back in Cameroon and you have no one to send them out to you, then yes, you'll have to go back and get them. You'll also need a Police Clearance Certificate from Cameroon (I'm assuming you lived there till you were at least 16), and if Cameroon only issues this in person, then you'll definitely need to return to process that. You have the option of interview in Dubai or Cameroon.

If all your documents are back in Cameroon and you have no one to send them out to you, then yes, you'll have to go back and get them. You'll also need a Police Clearance Certificate from Cameroon (I'm assuming you lived there till you were at least 16), and if Cameroon only issues this in person, then you'll definitely need to return to process that. You have the option of interview in Dubai or Cameroon.
Thanks very much.

Question. The fee is USD $819? I thought its like 300$ something. what is that $819 for?

Also, why did you have to go to the consulate before the interview?

Question. The fee is USD $819? I thought its like 300$ something. what is that $819 for?

Also, why did you have to go to the consulate before the interview?

If you looked at the date of the post you're questioning, you'll notice it was posted back in 2011 which explains why the OP had to pay $819 - yes, that was the cost back then.

If you looked at the date of the post you're questioning, you'll notice it was posted back in 2011 which explains why the OP had to pay $819 - yes, that was the cost back then.
oh wow thats a lot. and I guess the procedure was different back then. Thats why he had to go to the consulate, pay the fee and then go back for the interview.