My baby was borne outside the US

giurgiuc2001

Hi,

I and my husband are green card holders with address in MA. During a temporary visit to my home country I got pregnant and due to medical issues I couldn’t leave the country to deliver in the US. So we announced the nearest consular center that the baby was borne outside the US and what are the steps that we have to follow. They issued a letter in this respect, but it’s just a general letter with the regulation in this respect not having troubles at the border traveling with the baby.
My question is if we are registered having the address in MA and want to move to OH can we travel with the baby direct to OH or do we have to do the entry first in MA and announce the baby at the immigration center in MA?
A second question is what documents do we need to register him for the green card?
We would like to travel next month and time is very short.
I would appreciate your respond ASAP.

Thank you

so, let's assume you have been gone from the USA for at least 10+ months? you have bigger problems than getting your baby a GC... you may be presumed to have abandoned your own resident status.

others will chime in, it is too early :p

Your child will get his/her GC at the POE. That is not an issue. You need to carefully document that fact that a medical condition made it impossible for you to travel to the US. Your prolonged absense is a bigger worry here.

A second question is what documents do we need to register him for the green card?

Your story sounds fishy to me. Did you have this medical condition immediatley after you got pregnant? Why do I get the feeling that you are trying to pass off someone's baby as your own. my gut feeling tells me that you adopted this child :eek:

pregnancy itself could be the medical condition that would make travel dangerous. Some people have to be on bed rest for the entire 9 months....

My baby was born utside the US

Reading similar cases I saw that after baby's entry in the US, he will get the GC but can't leave the country just after 3 years. Is that right?

I had one entry when I was pregnant in 4 month and after baby's birth one more entry. Haven't exceed 10 month not beeing in the US. Just after 4 month of my pregnancy I've began to have health issues.
I didn't know that at my first entry after the baby came I need to take it with me but my husband beeing at that time in the US he can travel with the baby at his first entry in the US.
So does anybody know if we can register him in a diffrent state where we would like to move?

I didn't know that at my first entry after the baby came I need to take it with me but my husband beeing at that time in the US he can travel with the baby at his first entry in the US.
That could be a problem! The rule is that the mother must accompany the child, not the father, and it must be the mother's first trip back to the US since the birth. You may have to use the long multi-year process to sponsor the child with an I-130, unless there is some kind of exception you can get. Maybe there is an exception if you can show that it was medically inadvisable for the baby to travel when you took your first trip.

Note that once you are outside the US for a consecutive year and don't have a reentry permit, your green card is no longer valid by itself to reenter the US and you will need an SB-1 visa.

from the embassy they informed me that the father can accompany the baby as well. One of the parents.

I haven't heard if I can announce the baby at the immigration center in a different state than where we applied when we arrived to US?
Can anybody help in this respect?

The rule is that the mother must accompany the child, not the father, and it must be the mother's first trip back to the US since the birth.

This is not true. Either parent may accompany the child, with the privso that it be the parent's first entry to the US since the birth.