Must carry at all times?

Hmm... I would probably wait until 5 years after that incident to apply.

Another ironic thing is that carrying it all the time could make it more likely for you to get fined and/or detained for not carrying it. Because if you carry it all the time, it's more likely to get lost or stolen. Once lost or stolen, you don't have it available to carry with you. Then if you get stopped by ICE or COPS who ask for it, you can't show it to them because you don't have it, and you can't even say you have it in your house a few miles down the road. So you'll get shipped to a detention center with no easy way to get out.

If you lose it (I think that is very very remote, exactly the same possibility for GC to be destroyed or lost by home disaster if you leave it at home) you will apply for replacement and will have a receipt for that which you will carry it all time.

My wife and I were on vacation in England at one time and her wallet got stolen in a nightclub. Gone was her green card too. Since then we have learned that it is best that actual documents stay in a safe place. Never carried anything in the US (just the driver's license) and even when I am on vacation in a foreign country, my passport is in the hotel. I think even if they arrest you in a foreign country, there will be a way for you to go to the hotel and prove your immigration status.

Again, home disasters with loss of important document are still comparable with wallets theft (I do not have statistics for that). If a fire or some body steel the bag from your home containing GC, you will carry it with you all time after that.

I understand the value of this forum, but I have not seen any BCIS officers patrolling the streets and checking Documents. Correct me if I am worng, but only an officer of the BCIS has the right to ask you of your immigration status.
I have had many speeding tickets and not onec has the police officer asked me my immigration status.
Personally I never carried my Passport/H-1/F-1 on me and dont carry my GC with me either. When I traevl abroad I leave the GC at the Hotel. Some countries require you to carry your passport and the police have the right to demand it (HongKOng for example). In that case I carry a copy of my passport leaving the original in the Hotel.

While it is possible that burglary or a fire or storm could result in loss or destruction of a green card that is kept at home, the card is still safer if kept at home and the home is in a low-crime area.

This is because:
- You are more likely to get robbed in the streets (or other areas outside around the city) than have your home burglarized.
- If your home is burglarized and you hid the card well, the thief probably won't find it (they might if they're specifically looking for it, but most burglars are looking for money or jewelry or electronics to steal).
- Major fires are less likely than pickpocketing and street robberies.
- If your home burns down with your green card in it when you're away, you'll probably have your driver's license with you so you won't lose both.
- If there is a huge storm or flood that destroys your home, chances are you would have had some advance warning of the storm or flood rains and would either be in your home at the time, or gathered your valuables (including the card of course) and left before your home got hit. And again, if you're not home you would likely have your DL with you so you wouldn't have lost both.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the value of this forum, but I have not seen any BCIS officers patrolling the streets and checking Documents. Correct me if I am worng, but only an officer of the BCIS has the right to ask you of your immigration status.
A few cities have authorized their cops to ask about immigration status. And some roads (particularly in border states) have immigration checkpoints where they stop your car and ask about your status. See http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=282245

I agree that some cities and States have passed legislations allowing Police Officers to ask for immigration Status, but they have to first stop/detain you for a felony or a misdemeanor. In simple word Commit a crime (this could involve moving violations) and you could be asked about your citizenship or immigration status, Don't commit one and you wont .
In other words the Police cannot just pull you over to check your citizenship or immigration Status, they would have to pull you over ot detain you for something else before that. Having said this , this legislation is possibly only in a few cities and states, its not National as its not a Federal Legislation.
I had never heard of the DHS pulling people over for Immigartion check or having Immigration Check points, but according to the posts it seems they do. This is news to me, personally I have never come across one ever and yes I have driven on roads and cities near the Borders (Canadian and Mexican).

Few years back when I was driving in Texas on the way to Arizona, i was stopped near El Paso (on Hwy I-10 West) by Border Patrol. They asked my immigration status ( i was on H1 ) , checked my passport and allowed me to proceed.

I agree that some cities and States have passed legislations allowing Police Officers to ask for immigration Status, but they have to first stop/detain you for a felony or a misdemeanor. In simple word Commit a crime (this could involve moving violations) and you could be asked about your citizenship or immigration status, Don't commit one and you wont .
In other words the Police cannot just pull you over to check your citizenship or immigration Status, they would have to pull you over ot detain you for something else before that. Having said this , this legislation is possibly only in a few cities and states, its not National as its not a Federal Legislation.
I had never heard of the DHS pulling people over for Immigartion check or having Immigration Check points, but according to the posts it seems they do. This is news to me, personally I have never come across one ever and yes I have driven on roads and cities near the Borders (Canadian and Mexican).

I have had many speeding tickets and not onec has the police officer asked me my immigration status.
Personally I never carried my Passport/H-1/F-1 on me and dont carry my GC with me either. When I traevl abroad I leave the GC at the Hotel. Some countries require you to carry your passport and the police have the right to demand it (HongKOng for example). In that case I carry a copy of my passport leaving the original in the Hotel.

Do you think the the USCIS write on th GC that it must be carried all time and give instructions to the officers not to check GCs? This is a requirement and every single GC holder know that and it is up to every one to follow the rules or not.

Don't see what that thread has to do with this one. There is a big difference between being asked to turn in your GC when you naturalize (even then it was an 'ask' not a 'must') and carrying it around.

If it was so serious to not have it with you 'at all times', the poster should have been remanded into custody on the spot and deported -- not made a citizen.

It will be pretty hard for anyone to steal my GC from my bank safe -- where it remains until I travel abroad.

Don't see what that thread has to do with this one. There is a big difference between being asked to turn in your GC when you naturalize (even then it was an 'ask' not a 'must') and carrying it around.
The point is that it got stolen as a result of carrying it around. A result that is much more common than facing any consequences for not carrying it around.