Mumbai Feb interview Dates are out

Saling permit ?

i was browsing thru the web for CP. at one place (immihelp.com) they mentioned about Sailing permit as one the documents needed. This is a permit issued by the IRS.

Any comments/experience on this ?

Thanks
Asit

Here is the text copy from the web site:

If you are either a resident or a nonresident alien departing the United States, you will usually have to show your compliance with the U.S. income tax laws. You do this by obtaining a tax clearance document, commonly called a "Sailing Permit" or "Departure Permit," from the IRS. (For INS purpose any one who does not have green card are non resident alien, but for IRS purpose even non green card holders who have stayed in US for 182 days are considered resident alien. For information about resident or non-resident alien for IRS purpose, refer to Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens).

It is legally possible for the government to prevent someone from leaving if they don\'t have sailing permit. This permit is rarely asked for at the consular post, but it advised that every immigrant applicant should carry this before going for the interview.

If you do not have taxable income, or you are a resident alien who is leaving only temporarily, use fillable(type in) Form 2063 to apply for a sailing permit. If you are a resident alien leaving the United States with no definite plans to return for the year, you will have to complete Form 1040-C, U.S. Departing Alien Income Tax Return, in order to get a sailing permit. Nonresident aliens who have any taxable income will also have to complete Form 1040-C to receive a sailing permit. You must pay all tax shown as due on the Form 1040-C unless you furnish a bond or an employer letter guaranteeing payment, or the IRS is satisfied that your leaving will not jeopardize collection of the tax. Any tax you pay counts as a payment on your final return that you file after the end of your tax year.

Apply for the sailing permit no earlier than 30 days before you plan to leave. You should apply at least two weeks in advance of your departure. To get your sailing permit, visit your nearest walk-in IRS office. If you are married to an alien who is leaving the country with you, both of you must go to the IRS office.

You must bring with you all the following records and information for the current year, that apply:
A valid passport and your alien registration card or visa,
Copies of the last two years\' income tax returns with proof of payment of any balance due,
A statement from each current employer showing the wages paid and tax withheld from January 1 of the current year to the date of departure. For this statement you can use a payroll deduction slip for your last paycheck if it shows this information.
If you are self-employed, a profit and loss statement for the current year to the date of departure.
Documents showing any gain or loss from the sale of personal property, including capital assets and merchandise.
Proof of tax payments for the past year and this year.
Documents concerning scholarships or fellowships.
Documents indicating that you qualify for special tax treaty benefits.
Substantiation of deductions for business expenses and itemized deductions.
Documentation for dependents claimed.
Airline return tickets.
If you have these documents and pay any tax due you should receive your sailing permit immediately. Sailing Permit Experiences

Atlanta, GA
Today I went to Atlanta IRS office for sailing permit. From the guard at the entrance to the Information officer, no one knew what "Sailing permit" is. They were asking why it is needed.

Finally I picked up form 2063 and told them I need to submit this. Then something made sense to them. Anyway, this was not the case with the lady at the counter, where I gave the form(she understood it). But she looked at it, and asked me if I was returning back to US, to which I answered yes. So she asked me for airline return ticket, which I did not carry with me. I am not sure if anyone experienced this situation.

I will have to go back again with my plane ticket now.

Anyway, my advise to all going for obtaining sailing permit, is to carry airline ticket with them.

p.s. I also carried all my and my wife\'s tax returns just in case they ask for it.

Bailey\'s Crossroads, VA
This office is for everyone in Northern Virginia (Washington DC metro area, VA portion). The office is located on Route 50. There are 3 big black buildings. It is on ninth floor. There were 3 people to make visitors sit. The environment was relaxed and no one was in hurry to do any work. When my number was called, I went and gave the form 2063 and the clerk had no idea what to do with it. So he went and asked the his supervisor. She told him something which I could not hear. Then he came back and asked for our SSN\'s and the supervisor went back and checked something in to the computer. And they just stamped the counterfoil of that form and he came back with those and said we are all set. He didn\'t ask for even a single document. No passport, no ID, nothing.

What is the process?

Guys,
 I am new to this forum..What is the process for CP after 140 approval?
What is packet 3?
Thanks
-TX lucky

No Title

You can add me to the list. I got a email rely from Mumbai consulate today informing me that my interview is on 2/27 at 9.30 am

pl. provide me the email address and contact no for Mumbai consulate

Hi

This is Bidhu Das from Rapidigm. My lawer had filed I-140 thru CP . But applied I-485 thru Adjustment of status which I I came to know just yesterday after 1 year. I came to know from NVC that my papers are sent to Mumbai consulate on 16th august , 2000. Still now there is no response from them.

My notice date : 02/01/2001
   finger print: 05/03/2001

Got EAD as well as PAROL VISA during July 2001.

So I wanted to send an email or contact to Mumbai Consulate in order to know the status.

I will appreciate if you can send me the email address and contact no for mumbai consulate, India.

Thanks
Bidhu Das

Got Pkt 4 at Mumbai address

I got Pkt 4 on Friday in Mumbai ( parents address ).
Was sent from the embassy on Jan 4th.

I m cp ing on Feb 1st in Mumbai.

WantaGC - What are you getting though? from consulate?

I know from your posts that you have applied at CGNY and are waiting for your wife\'s PCC. Are you planning to try for one in the local police station in Mumbai?

Do you know of someone who has flown Swiss Air to Bombay recently...

I am getting a price of ~990 ORD-BOM, DEL-ORD, which is better in # of connection/cost wise than my other options from Chicago. But the trouble Swiss Air had last Fall gives some concern.

Do you know of anybody who has flown Swiss Air recently? Are they fully back to track...

eb1seeker

On Monday ( tomorrow ) Jan 14th , I will go to CGNY.
I had applied for my wifes PCC on Dec 12th.
They told me that they have not heard from Mumbai yet , but if I can show my air tickets and proove that I am really flying this week itself ...they will give it to us now itslef.

I will also apply for mine tommorow ( passport issue in NY).

I m not getting anything (PCC) from India , unless Jan end Cp\'ers most messages about it beging asked for.

got my fingers crossed.

PCC from India may not be required...

HEllo,

If one gets PCC from Indian consulate, one makes the intent clearer. That one is willing to satisfy the documentation requirement as much as possible. PCC from Indian side takes time and given more time, one would ultimately produce it.

Plus the new requirement should be applicable to new P3 applications from Feb 1 and not those who have applied a few months ago. They should be grandfathered under the old requirement. I think the US consulate folks would understand this.

Good luck. Feb CPers, please post your interview details on this board as fast as possible so that others towards Feb end could benefit.

PCC

The only concrete reply we have from Mumbai is a email posted by NATCAM sometime back which says only PCC from consulate is required. They told me the same thing on the phone but havent had a reply by email.

Anyone from Philly?

BTW, is there anyone form Philly (or the DE valley area) in this list? BTW, I finally got tickets on the dates that I wanted (usd 1040, Philly - Bombay, 2/15 - 3/10).

eb1seeker...please post the link

Hello,

If you know the link to where natcam has posted the email response from US consulate in Mumbai, can you please post it here. I will take a print out of the same and present it to the US consulate just in case. I am also planning to print out the webpage of US consulate and take it with me. They need to be more responsible, especially after knowing how much time things take in India to do. I am personally taking PCC from Indian Consulate in the US. have asked folks back home to get from local police station. I will try to get as many as possible but who knows when or if I will get from the indian side.

List of documents to be send for AC-I140

Some one who has sent AC-I140 and got case#. please list all documents to be send to mumbai consulate. ( please also mention Original/Certified etc).

Thanks for help.
- Varshant

v7..This one\'s for your AC140

My lawyer was very conservative and hence we sent the following. Remember, it doesn\'t harm to send more - consulate can discard unwanted material - than less.

1) I-140 original approval notice showing AOS approval
2) I-824 original approval notice (you are required to send only the original I-824 receipt notice, but we got receipt and approval within 2 days time)
3) Attorney certified copies of:
Labor Cert application and approval for primary applicant
I-140 application for primary applicant
4) DS230 Part I
b and II
  (original) for primary
5) DS230 Part I
b and II
  (original) for secondary
6) OF-169 for primary (original)
7) OF230 Part I
b and II
  (original) for primary
8) OF230 Part I
b and II
  (original) for secondary
9) Notarized original I-134 for secondary
10) Notarized employment letter for primary
11) cover letter
12) miscelleanous (I am not sure of these) such as company financial report, my educational records, etc.

I also received an exact copy of the AC140 package from my lawyer. The one that I received is not simply a photocopy but is also an attorney certified photocopy..just for my records and to carry it to India.

Mumbai Feb dates posted on consulate website...

Mumbai has posted the interview dates on their website. Go and check and end the anxiety - whether you got an interview or not.
Mine is there exactly as told over the phone.

The total number of interviews (all categories including, F, K, E, C, etc.) have dropped from 904 to 755 (Jan 2002 to Feb 2002). The total number of E category interviews have dropped from 106 to 88 in the same period. However, percentage-wise, E category interviews are still at 11.7% of the total IV interviews.