Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

Prithis: Thank you very much for the information. It is very useful. Good luck with your move next week. Yes please email your experience after the move.

Sfir: I don't know how long it would take to receive plastic cards after making a poe from sarnia-port huron. But I went in there for my poe with family last week and the experience was good. No questions, no waiting , all things were explained to us in detail and very friendly staff.

Successful Interview At Montreal

My sincere thanks to the wonderful members of this forum. I was able to gather all the necessary papers in order. Was at US Consulate on Monady at 7:45 AM. Got the Immigrant Visas (EB3, emplyment based) for my family and myself at 10:30 AM with ease. Came to Detroit's Ambassador bridge only to find heavy truck traffic but there was no rush for getting stamped I-551 in the passports. The officers at the bridge were nice and polite.

The only thing that surprised me was that I had a full set of POlice Clearance Certs from India, Qatar and Canada for this year and last year. The genetleman who collected the papers told me that it was not necessary to have obtained another set of Police Clearance Certs.

Thank you for posting your experiences. They have been very very helpful. Thanks again

Congratulations!

One question: do you mean it is not necessary to have updated set of PCC from Canada?

Sfir said:
My sincere thanks to the wonderful members of this forum. I was able to gather all the necessary papers in order. Was at US Consulate on Monady at 7:45 AM. Got the Immigrant Visas (EB3, emplyment based) for my family and myself at 10:30 AM with ease. Came to Detroit's Ambassador bridge only to find heavy truck traffic but there was no rush for getting stamped I-551 in the passports. The officers at the bridge were nice and polite.

The only thing that surprised me was that I had a full set of POlice Clearance Certs from India, Qatar and Canada for this year and last year. The genetleman who collected the papers told me that it was not necessary to have obtained another set of Police Clearance Certs.

Thank you for posting your experiences. They have been very very helpful. Thanks again

PC for CP

I guess because I have been living in US for the past six years, it didn't matter. But as a precaution I had all the PCs redone. I know it takes time but gives a peace of mind. The officer wo collected the papers needed the covering letter issued by RCMP alongwith the PC.

I had PC from Qatar which had expired two months back but no questions were asked.

I wish you all the very best. Get a new PC and go. It depends upon the person!

CP or 485?

I am planning to go for CP. But now there is talk about speedy processing on I-485 or concurrent approval of I-140&I-485. Any suggestions on whether CP is faster or 485?

I-89, what is this?

Dear Friends:
I had my POE in April 2004. I did not receive the card/welcome letter. On inquiry, they are telling 'your I-89 is lost and go to a INS office to file it".

What is I-89?
How much is the filing fee?
Where do I need to go? (District office OR ASC)
Where I get this form?
How long it may take them to process this?

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Visa1:

Finally moved to the USA and imported my car today. At the border (Detroit-Windsor Tunnel), I declared to the border agent that I was importing my car. He put a yellow sticker and asked me to go inside the office building. Inside the building the customs inspector asked me to fill out a customs form 7501 for importing the vehicle. He also asked for:

1. Canadian registration document for the vehicle (I had the green and white Ontario registration document)
2. Letter from the manufacturer with the VIN number, declaring that the vehicle met all US emission standards and that there was no outstanding recall
3. Since my vehicle was purchased in New Jersey (when I lived there), he asked me if I had the original invoice from the NJ dealer. I did, and handed it to him.

He took photocopies and returned all the originals to me except the manufacturer's letter. He also gave me 2 copies of the customs form that I had filled out, stamped by him. He told me that I would need a copy when I go to get my vehicle registered in the state DMV.

I did not have to pay any customs duty. The entire process was smooth and took 10 minutes.

Prithis

Prithis,
Did they ask you to surrender PR card of Canada or did you voluntarily surrender it as you had told them, at the time of POE?

Thanks,

Gccom

prithis,
Thank you very much for the information related to your move.
Congratulations to you, the process is finally complete.

gccom:

Since my POE, I have travelled between USA and Canada several times. Since my POE, no other US immigration officer has asked me to surrender my Canadian PR. It was the same when I crossed the border for the final time at the Detroit Windsor Tunnel last week during my permanent move to the US. I was not asked about my status in Canada and the need to surrender my Canadian PR card. As a result I still have my Canadian PR card with me. However, it is of no use to me now, as I am not yet eligible for Canadian citizenship, and I cannot renew it when it expires, as applying for residence in another country is one of the reasons for revocation of the US green card. Hence I will just let it expire for now.

Prithis

Plastic Card Received

CP Interview -- 21 Jun
POE DEtroit Ambassador Bridge -- 22 JUn
Plastci Cards Received -- 9 Jul

Congrats Sfir!!! Wow, that was fast. I did my POE at the Ambassador Bridge too. How was your interview and POE?

Prithis

CP Interview

I had followed this forums advice -- Taking everything that was needed, filed seperately in folders. Interview lasted 10 minutes , both at the consulate and at the POE.

Stamp on backside of Photos

I have taken photos for interview at Montreal. The lady in Sears Photo Studio Placed a Stamp on the backside of the phots "This photo is taken at ...on.... and also it had lines stating that "Following photo resembles ----Gaurentor signsture." I thnik this is a typical stamp for Canadian Citizenship. I have written my name on the back of photos with felt tip pen as instructed on the small sacpe left on top due to the stamp.

Does any one had any such stamp on the back? Is this going to be problem? What is typicaly acceptable on the back side of the photos?

Please advise. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally approved - after "Admin Processing"

My case has finally been approved. I interviewed in Consulate at Montreal 03/08/04 and got "Administrative Processing". After 4 months of waiting, the case has been approved. I went to consulate to pick up visa and got passport stamped at Champlain, NY POE. Everything went smoothly this time.

Dates:
- 06/26/03: I-140 Approved,
- 10/30/03: P3 received by NVC (took long time to wait to Canadian finger-printed PCC),
- 01/08/04: P3 approved at NVC,
- 03/08/04: Interview at Montreal consulate,
- 07/21/04: Pick up visa at Montreal consulate, and passport stamps at POE.

Consular Processing, it still worths it (compared to AOS)!

-henry_s

Last edited by a moderator:
wishmaster said:
anyone of you guys are holding canadian green card and option for montreal as cp post? thanks...
Many around here. If you look through the forum (or search) and also look at this thread in detail, you'll find the info, exp. , etc.

Cards received

I have received cards for all the family today. It's over.

I-140 AD: 06/25/03
Opted for Consular Processing
Interview date (US consulate at Montreal): 03/08
Waiting for "Administrative processing" (Security clearance) until: 07/15
Got Immigration visa: 07/15
POE (Champlain, NY): 07/21
Welcome notice: 08/02
Cards ordered: 08/02
Cards received: 08/17

Also posted dates on www.cptracker.com

Good luck to all!
-henry_s