Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

Thanks muffin1973,
I'm gonna take your advice and take a notarized letter. Not taking any chances...fernp

Please help

Dear Friends:

I am from India, a permanent resident of Canada, resided and worked in Canada since 2000. I have traveled to the US several times.

My wife and I have our Green Card interview at MONTREAL consulate in April. I am a NIW, EB-2, self petitioned candidate with no job offer in the US. Since I am in Canada I have few questions:

1. Do I need an employment letter? (Canadian.)
2. Do I need Canadian TAX return papers? (Did not file US tax so far.)
3. Do I need affidavit of support for my wife? (She is not working at present.)
4. Do I need any other financial documents?

Thank you in advance for valuable help.

Here are my suggestions (not in any way legal advice):

(1) employment letter. It would help you to take an employment letter from your Canadian employer, if only to assist in aiding your claim that you won't be a charge of the United States Government (i.e. that your intent is not to end up on welfare)

(2) Canadian tax filings. YES. I've been told by several attorneys that tax filings, regardless of jurisdiction, are most helpful if the Consular Officer has questions with respect to income, status, etc.

(3) AOS for your wife. I don't know what to say about this one. Sorry.

(4) Other financial documents. I can't think of any, but I've been told by many people to bring more than you think you'll need. Because you can't go back home to retrieve the documents once you're in the Consulate.

Best of luck, and I hope other posters provide their opinions on this matter for you too.

question for the veterans of the board

This is a question for the veterans of the board...

...if my case was completed by the NVC in early March, I believe that they request a visa number on/or about the 20th of March (?). Does the automated voice response system at the NVC say that a visa number has been requested, or does it continue to say that the case has been completed and to await further instructions?

And, anyone else on this board who is awaiting an interview to be scheduled? I feel like I am alone on here!!!

muffin1973:

In my case the AVM at Montreal said (it still says) that the case has been completed and forwarded to Montreal. It does not mention anything about the visa number. However I did call the consulate and found out about whether the visa number has been issued and the interview date.

- Prithis

Folks:

Is there anyone who has driven to the consulate at Montreal on the day of the interview? I would like to know if there is any parking available close to the consulate. The reason for my question is that I have a baby with me. If there is no parking within a short walking distance I will have to take a cab to avoid exposure to the below-freezing temperature at Montreal.

- Prithis

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information Prithis.
As for parking, here's what I know - the UQAM Pavillion des Sciences is across the street from the US Consulate, and I recall parking being there.
However, parking can be a nuisance in downtown Montreal and you may be best off taking a cab. Cabs in Montreal are quite reasonable - unlike here in the San Francisco Bay Area where a 20 minute cab ride sets you back $50 US. Crazy...

Re:Affidavit of support

Which affidavit of support is required by the NVC? From this forum it seems most have sent in the I-134. I sent in a notarized I-864 with my P3. Is this sufficient? Is it even required for emloyment based petition?

fernp:

Please refer http://travel.state.gov/i864gen.html

According to the FAQ, the I-864 is required in case of most family-based immigrant visas, and employment based cases ONLY where a relative has filed the immigrant visa petition (sponsor is a relative) or whose relative has a five percent or greater ownership interest in the business that filed the petition. In all other cases a I-134 is sufficient.

Unless you fall into this category which requires an I-864, take an I-134 for each member of your family with you to the interview. You can sign them in front of the consular officer if are outside the US.

- Prithis

what's your status Prithis?

Prithis,
I recall that you had your interview date for March 30th? How did it go? I hope that all went smoothly for you and your family. Please share experience with the board, when possible to do so!
Muffin1973

Successful interview - details in attached file

Folks

I had a successful interview at Montreal on 30-Mar and landing on 1-Apr. I have uploaded the attached file with details of my experiences. I will keep visiting this awesome forum, so please feel free to ask me questions.

- Prithis

excellent news

Prithis,
That is excellent news. Congratulations! You must feel as if the weight of the world is off your shoulders.
Thanks for the very informative document that you uploaded for the rest of us. Sounds like getting your police certificates was a global expedition.
I should be getting my interview date any day now....
Muffin1973

Re: Number of pictures needed

Congrats Prithis on your CP approval !!

How many pictures were required? I keep seeing different posts. Did you need to provide any at the point of entry? Thanks, fernp.

fernp:

I got 5 immigration (3/4 view) photographs for each member of my family from the Japan Camera outlet in my neighbourhood. The photographer was familiar with GC photo requirements, and that helped. I used 1 photo for the medicals at Howard Seiden. The immigration style photo was accepted without a word. The Consulate took 2 photographs. The border agent at Ambassador Bridge took 1 photograph. So I had 1 extra photograph at the end of the whole process.

I read from other posts that if you do your medicals at MDS, they take 3 photograhs, so you need to be prepared accordingly.

- Prithis

interview date

I got my interview date from the NVC today. It's Friday, May 7th. Woohoo!
Board veterans: do I need the Packet IV from the NVC BEFORE making travel arrangements and making an appointment with MDS Medical in Montreal? I would think that having a medical on Monday, May 3rd would be enough time for MDS to turn around the results. Please let me know! Thanks, Muffin1973

muffin1973:

If you have spoken to a NVC agent, then you can take it as confirmed that the interview date is 7 May. You can also call the Consulate and double-check by giving your case number. You should be getting the actual interview letter (pkt 4) in the next few days, so you should go ahead and book your travel and medical appointment asap. First talk to MDS. Confirm with the lady at MDS that you will get the results back by Thursday. Then make your travel bookings accordingly. Also, get any vaccinations that you/your family have been missing. You will get the required vaccines by age group on www.panelphysicians.com which is not the MDS website, but the Howard Seiden website.

I believe you stay in the Bay area, so it may not be possble to fly to Toronto, do the medical and get the results same day at Howard Seiden and then drive to Montreal (7 hours), but that is an option.

- Prithis

interview date

Prithis,
Thanks a lot for the advice. NVC confirmed my interview is on May 7th, and they said Packet IV is in the mail.
The folks at MDS in Montreal were real friendly, and they set up my medical for the 4th, which allows for results prior to the interview on the 7th. I thought of going to Seiden in Toronto if MDS couldn't fit me in the week of the 3rd-7th, because I only have one week that I can take off work.
I also booked my travel. Fares were starting to go up, and I couldn't wait for the appointment letter before booking. It's expensive enough to travel back to Canada for one week, without having to wait until the last minute to book it.
This board is invaluable...keep posting.
Muffin1973

Prithis...Please answer

Dear Prithis, please answer this:

1. Can a CANADIAN permanent resident (Indian Citizen) come to US for visit, without a US visa?

2. Can a US permenent resident (Indian Citizen) come to Canada for visit, without a Canadian visa?

Thanks in advance.