Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

IRS

That\'s what I am bringing. Since I\'ve been paying taxes in the US since 1998, this form is effectively useless for me. Brian.

Hi, does the officer ask questions about I-140 docs?

Hi, do we have to prepare for questions about I-140 petition and the supporting materials? If so, I will go over it before interview. What does the consulate have in their hands--all I-140 and cp docs or only I-140 approval notice and cp docs? I filed I-140 long time ago. Can\'t remember the details.

No Title

My understanding is that the consular officer has a copy of the petition. They will probably go over some details like the company you work for and that you are performing the duties outlined in your petition. I have my interview in 3 weeks and was wondering the same thing. My lawyer assures me that the consulate will not re-adjucate the case but rather will confirm some of the facts. I\'ve heard of interviews lasting 45 seconds while others go on for 10-15 minutes. Brian.

I think Yes...

Interviews can be different but I think you have to familiarise with the details of your labour and I-140 , as much as you can.
Things like job location and job description appears in them.
Sharp officers always tries to find out discrepancies among these documents.

For example,in my labour/i-140 application, no specific job location is given.Its clearly written \'Various unanticipated locations in the US\'. I am agonising over this.Even though, my job location never changed all this 3 years.

documentation

I just completed my interview a week ago.

The interviewer has EVERY piece of documentation that was ever submitted to the INS or the National Visa Center. During the time period of the interview it is impossible for them to read through every document, but they glance through them looking for key points.

I agree with the advice given that you should know what you sent in to make sure you do not contradict yourself.

do we need us Police certificate

Hi, I reside in Canada now. For IV interview, do I need police certificate from FBI or the consulate request that document itself?
I remember some guy said the consulate will do that for us. Please confirm. Thanks.

PCC at Montreal

I went to RCMP office at Montreal. But security staff didn\'t let me in. And gave me tow pieces of paper with two comercial police certificate and fingerprinting little companies on them. They charges $30 for name based pcc. Is it normal at Montreal? Many posts above said it is free and was done at RCMP office. I am worrying if the consulate accepts such police certificate.

From, not "to", Canada

I asked for the PCC for US immigration, not for Canada. I will get it tomorrow from the "Identity Canada", a small company accreditted by RCMP .Did you get the PCC from RCMP Montreal local office for free? How did you get into the building for PCC? Your message is confusing, too. I believe that different RCMP offices have different policy. But I feel strange RCMP Montreal office puts its own duty to commercial companies. Is there corruption inside? The security staff told me very straightforward they don\'t do PCC. Anyway, I will leave Canada and MOntreal very soon.

CAJK:

1. You do not need any PCCs from US. NVC will perform any verification if needed.

2. Canadian PCCs are free only if you need them for reasons relevant to Canada (citizenship, immigration, federal govt screening, airport access screening, volunteer work, etc.). For US Immigration, a fee is required. Look up http://immihelp.com/articles/cpcc.html

Good luck.

Re: job location

Most consulting companies avoid specifying job locations and indicate "... various unanticipated locations...". This actually works out better, since you are not tied to a specific location.

In my case, application was filed from company HQ even though I resided about a thousand miles away. The "...unanticipated locations..." clause took care of any issues.

Security...

What all can take into the consulate at Montreal. I mean, can we
take opaque file folders ? I know this is a no-no for Chennai/Mumbai...But how is Montreal?

PCC

Yes, I know you are applying to immigrate to the US. Therefore, there is a fee for the PCC. I live in New York so I did my PCC by fingerprint/mail. Brian.

security

While they check bags at the security entrance, it is possible to take in most things (except electronics). I had all my documents in a soft-sided briefcase.

No Title

There is another company that does PC. It\'s called International Fingerprint..something, and its located in the lower floor of Comlexe Guy Favreau where the Passport office is located on Rene Leveque(near chinatown). Since you are a resident of Canada a name based PC will be enough. Last year I did a name based PC for $20 from the company I mentioned.

Name based PCC from local police force worked for me

Just to add my experience, I used a name based PCC at my interview/IV which I obtained from the Regional Police Force in my hometown. Cost was $10 Cdn, got it right on the spot by visiting the local station (the officer I spoke with called it a Criminal Background Check). I specifically asked if the check went through the Canadian National Crime Registry database, and was told yes. This was sufficient for consular purposes. Using the regional police station to get the certificate was cheaper, faster, and since it accesses the national database, should yield the same results as a name based one via RCMP. You might want to run this by your lawyer to see their opinion on this matter. Note that in hindsight, if I had had more time before my interview, I would have done the fingerprint based check done just to be as thorough as possible.

re: Documents

Brian:

I wasn\'t asked for anything beyond what the P3/P4 required, but the guy at the window next to me did have to produce a 2000 or 2001 W2 tax form (I assume he currently resided or worked in the US).

If you want to be thorough (believe me, I left nothing to chance) you might want to have the following available in case they ask (don\'t volunteer anything):

-copies of degrees, transcripts
-copy of the Labor Certification (ETA-750) approval,
-original of I-140 approval, copy of I-140 application
-bank statements (to prove financial means)
-pay stubs for 3 pay periods
-past 3 years W2’s and 1040 forms

I also knew the basic content of each document (job title, salary etc)so if I were asked for example, something about the I-140, I would be ready. Be sure the I-140 information matches what is put on the DS-230 I & II.

The consular officer should have photocopies of all relevant documents submitted in P3, but I had photocopies of everything just in case they were missing a document. Chances are they wont ask for anything, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Hope this helps.

Congrats Thespian and Enduring!

Hello MTL CPers,
This is pkv2. am rejoining the group after a four-month absence. i could not login with my earlier id, therefore had to start the process again. Thanks to all successful CPers for posting their experiences.
I am sending my docs to St. Louis and have two questions:

1) i am sending originals of BC, MC, PCC etc., the BC (only one original) was obtained after great difficulty and worry...making copies and notarizing them just in case. what did you do.

2) my case is employment based...therefore, no I-864. my wife was on F1 previously, now on H-4. i am sending a I-134 with my Packet 3. is that correct. what did others answer for question 10....have you filed a visa petition(s) for anyone. i have not filed a I-134 for anyone else (parents, family etc.,), but have filed H-4 for my wife only.

glad and excited to be back.
thanks in advance for your reply.
regards,
pkv2