Misc. OCI Application Questions

Thank you, Abhiku.

Information like "Place of Issue" and "Visible Mark" are not present in the U.S. Passport. So I was wondering what should be filled for those?

Hello
I filled online OCI (PARTA) and it gave me registration number..
CAN I print PART A + PART B and place all docs and send OR do I need to WAIT until satus change?
as this time it shows "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged"

thank you!

I am a naturalised US citizen and planning to apply for OCI. But my spouse is still an Indian citizen. My daugther is a US citizen.

I am planing to apply for OCI for myself and my daughter.

In the online application form, should I select the family group option. My concern is that when I select that option, it asks for my spouse information but she is not applying for OCI.

That's why I am a little confused. How should I proceed?

Thanks.

Do I need to submit expired Indian passports as well with the OCI application?

I am planning to send in my OCI application in a few days (from SF). I actually have 2 indian passports, one which expired in 2000 and my current one. My question is do I need to send both Indian passports or only the current one? Can people who have applied under a similar situation, share their thoughts?

OCI info required

Hi,

I want to apply for an OCI but have a few questions before i start the application process. Firstly my father has been recently neutralised but has not applied for a British passport as of yet. The documents required for oci are photocopy of my british passport, photocopy of fathers indian passport and a copy of the neutralisation form. Does my father need to apply for a british passport before i can require OCI? If my father applies for a British passport his indian passport requires to be surrended therefore i would not be able to send a photocopy of his indian passport which is required for the application.

My father,mum, me and my brother would all like to apply for the OCI could you tell me the best way to do this? Should my father firstly surrender his indian passport before we start the process or can we all apply for OCI then surrender his indian passport?

Thank You

I presume you are based in UK. You can prove your Indian lineage by providing a copy of your father's Indian passport, a copy of proof of his British citizenship (certificate of naturalization will be sufficient) and your birth certificate showing your parent's names on it.
Your father will have to surrender his Indian passport (since it is no longer valid and using it will be a crime under Indian law) when he applies for OCI. You should make sufficient copies of his Indian passport for future needs.

If you and your brothers are over 18 years old, you will have to apply separately - OCI system allows 2 parents and up to 2 children to apply on one set of application.

Your father will have to first get his British passport before applying for OCI - a valid passport number is required at the time of application and OCI is tied to one's foreign passport.

And please, PLEASE! don't tell your dad that he was "neutralised" !

If i send a copy of his certificate of naturalization along with a copy of my british passport, copy of fathers indian passport and birth certificate will they realise that my father has been naturalized therefore would they ask for his british passport or cancel my application till he has a british passport? I take it that they will not ask for my fathers indian passport to be sent in at a later stage, a photocopy is sufficient?

Thank You for your advice!
Pritesh

Last edited by a moderator:
can i apply for oci from india after getting my us passport in june

my situation is complicated. i am currently a gc holder working out of inda and us on global assignments. i have applied for a us citizenship and hoping to get it end of May.

Can I go back and work in India while my OCI card is being processed? Can I go back to India and apply for the OCI card

Only the applicant needs to have a foreign passport. I don't think they will ask for your father's British passport. If he plans to apply for OCI then he also should get a British passport first.

Only way you can work in India without PIO/OCI is work visa. But if you have work visa, you can definitely apply OCI from India.
Work visa is issued only for 1 year at a time. OCI should get done in 2-4 months, so not a big issue.
A caveat: You can not change employers on work visa. If you wanted to, you need to get out of India and apply for a new work visa.

I am a naturalised US citizen and planning to apply for OCI. But my spouse is still an Indian citizen. My daugther is a US citizen.

I am planing to apply for OCI for myself and my daughter.

In the online application form, should I select the family group option. My concern is that when I select that option, it asks for my spouse information but she is not applying for OCI.

That's why I am a little confused. How should I proceed?

Thanks.

Link shows sample application....though it's from Chicago consultate

http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/4PassportPioOci/OCI/OCI_How_To_Apply.html

To answer you question...the same site...mentions
Family Group option should be opted if only one of the parents is applying along with one/two minor children or husband & wife are applying otherwise you have to always opt an individual option. If there are more members in the family or children are not minor then their applications should be filed as individuals.

the complication is

i was working in india came back and applied in us for citizenship. now i work here. after june i have to get back and work as we are a global company. can i get back and show that I have applied for oci and continue to work?

It doesn't matter what you were doing BEFORE getting US citizenship - if you want to work in India you have to either be an Indian Citizen (which you won't be after you take US citizenship oath) or have a work visa/PIO/OCI. Merely applying for OCI/PIO/Work visa does not entitle you to work in India.