Misc. OCI Application Questions

Hello All,

My OCI is approved and I am able to see the status online that my application is back in Chicago and I need to send passports to get U sticker.

Problem I have is that I recently moved to a new address and I am not sure how to communicate that to the consulate so that they dont send the passports to the old address.

I have to trying to call the consulate in the alloted 11.30 to 12.30 time but nobody picks it up.

Please advise me. Thanks

Can you go to the consulate in person?

I am in Detroit and consulate in Chicago....if it is necessary I will...

My advice would be to just include a self-addressed (obviously with current address) label/envelope and include a cover letter highlighting (using a bright colored marker) the fact that your address has changed since you applied for OCI. To further emphasize this, also add a highlighted note to the printout of the status page (that they ask for) that your address has changed. I am assuming that you sent the return postage fees already with the application.

OCI fees

Hi All,

How do we pay the OCI Fees $275 ???.

Do we need take a postal money order or a bankers cheque should be sufficient.

Also once the oci is granted can we take a printout of the status and walkin to the indian consulate and get stamped in ur usa passport???

tx
senthil:)

Additional fee

hi,
Can you please advice how to send the additional fee ? I mean so that they can merge the additional amount with the already submitted application.
Thanks

OCI application forms, website not working

I am trying to download the application forms - from the following website: https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIMiscMain.jsp

getting page error, i am in florida and planning on applying to Houston.

Can you please provide me a link where i can download the application forms for OCI.

really appreaceate for the helpful information.

Thanks.

I am trying to download the application forms - from the following website: https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIMiscMain.jsp

Can you please provide me a link where i can download the application forms for OCI.

Thanks.

The page loads fine for me. Pls explain the action you are trying to take.

Thanks.

The link you posted is for OCI miscellaneous services, not for OCI application itself which can be found here:
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIRegistrationG.jsp

I am gtetting the folllowing error:
There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).

Please help.....

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.
The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

Please help.....

Click on the "Continue" button.. it is OK.

Please help.....

Just continue. It looks like this website is not using standard security certificates. But proceed and it will work fine.

OCI apply now or later?

Should I apply for OCI for myself and kids now or wait till my wife citizenship gets approved. She just completed FP and waiting for Interview?

Any suggestions?

Also, what original documents need to be sent while mailing the application?

Is it necessary both parents should be US citizens to apply OCI for US born kids?

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I apply for OCI for myself and kids now or wait till my wife citizenship gets approved. She just completed FP and waiting for Interview?

Any suggestions?

Also, what original documents need to be sent while mailing the application?

Is it necessary both parents should be US citizens to apply OCI for US born kids?

When to apply OCI - your choice. It does not matter.

Original Documents - Application Form with photos.

Only one parent could be USC to apply for kids.

Edit - When to apply OCI - it might be simpler to mail it all together, track them together and get them stamped together - when your wife becomes USC.

sanjoseaug20,

I think you have applied for OCI in India? How is it going?

When to apply OCI - your choice. It does not matter.

Original Documents - Application Form with photos.

Only one parent could be USC to apply for kids.

Edit - When to apply OCI - it might be simpler to mail it all together, track them together and get them stamped together - when your wife becomes USC.

Renunciation in Form XXII along with OCI application

Hi,

I am sedning OCI application to Houston. Please let me know if I have to send renunciation in Form XVII along with OCI application.

I never travelled to India after I become US citizen and I never had Indian Visa.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks
Sarveswra Rao

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the OCI instructions don't mention, we don't need to... I didn't and the application was granted. The Visa application instructions do mention it but presumably you'll not need to apply for that. They'll cancel the Indian passport when they return the US passport with the visa.

Hi,

I am sedning OCI application to Houston. Please let me know if I have to send renunciation in Form XVII along with OCI application.

I never travelled to India after I become US citizen and I never had Indian Visa.

Thanks
Sarveswra Rao

Hi,

Thanks
Sarveswra Rao

You don't need to send the renunciation form. When I applied for OCI, I sent my Indian passport and US passport to the Indian Embassy. I got them back. They stamped "Cancelled -- Acquired US citizenship" on my Indian passport and stamped U visa sticker on US passport. That's all.

Any Disadvantage to having an OCI?

Gurus - I've see a lot of information on the advantages of OCI over PIO (lifetime validity, no need to register with the police for stays in India > 6mo..etc etc). Are there any disadvantages at all in going the OCI route vs PIO? Especially, related to US Federal job requirements i.e. would our status as an OCI, cause any issues when being considered for those jobs?

Would appreciate any info you might have.

Thanks!