Misc. OCI Application Questions

The application tells you to give out your passport #. Which means you CANNOT apply for OCI until you get your passport.

Is this correct?

Correct. Besides what RJain2 said, you have the option of expedited passport through mail (by paying extra money at post office) or going to a passport agency. If going to passport agency, you will require proof of travel in 14 days, but you will get the passport either same day or next day. So basically you can file for OCI 2-3 days after taking oath, if you really need it. However, OCI requires 3-12 weeks for processing, so it is unlikely you will be traveling in 14 days on OCI.

Renounce Indian Citizenship

Can anyone let me know how to renounce Indian Citizenship. Do i just have to send the Passport back?

Can you please let me know what the guidelines are?

Thanks

Can anyone let me know how to renounce Indian Citizenship. Do i just have to send the Passport back?

Can you please let me know what the guidelines are?

Thanks

I did not go through this process, sent my Indian PP with OCI application on 10/10 and got OCI and cancelled Indian PP in mail on 11/9 :D

OCI Applications - Questions

I have following questions. I am applying for my both kids

1. Passport number / Issue Date / Place of Issue : Should I enter the details from the US Parrport or from Indian passport.
If it is USA, I dont see place of issue anywhere.

2. For Kid section: Mother's name
My wifes Citizenship is pending and she is changing her name. What do I write for Mothers name? Can I put the new name that will get?

I have following questions. I am applying for my both kids

1. Passport number / Issue Date / Place of Issue : Should I enter the details from the US Parrport or from Indian passport.
If it is USA, I dont see place of issue anywhere.

2. For Kid section: Mother's name
My wifes Citizenship is pending and she is changing her name. What do I write for Mothers name? Can I put the new name that will get?

There is already a thread for this topic - Misc. OCI Application Questions - that has answer to the first question. There is no need to start a new thread. Re. 2nd Q, if the kid is born in US and you are attaching a copy of the birth certificate, make the mother's name same as in the birth certificate. Re. 1st Q, answer is USA, just write US Dept. of State as place of issue.

need urgent help

Hi ,
I submitted our applications to NY OCI cell. and I noticed now that in my application online and printed form (part A) I entered my date of birth wrong, in place of dd/mm/yyyy i entered mm/dd/yyyy.
how can i track this and get it correct. its been 20 days i submit the form still online status says not acknowledged.

Thanks
Sreeni

Hi ,
I submitted our applications to NY OCI cell. and I noticed now that in my application online and printed form (part A) I entered my date of birth wrong, in place of dd/mm/yyyy i entered mm/dd/yyyy.
how can i track this and get it correct. its been 20 days i submit the form still online status says not acknowledged.

Thanks
Sreeni

Did you attach a copy of passports (where dob is shown on) when you submit your applications? Don't worry. They will call you if they find anything wrong or dob is not matched with passport's dob. You can still contact the NY's Indian consulate in person or go in person at the consulate to correct the dob.

The processing time to complete the OCI is up to 3 months - worst case is up to 6 months. Your application is probably sitting on the desk in New Delhi and they haven't acknowledge it yet. Try to check next week.

Should I wait for US Passport before I start OCI process?

I will be applying for US passports for all three of us in our family (1 Renewal, 2 new applicants) by the weekend. Given that the OCI might take a while to process (about a month and a half at least from the timelines I have seen here and elsewhere). I was wondering if I can start the process for the OCI before I have the US passports in hand. Do I need to send Passport Copies along with the first part of the OCI application or will it suffice it to send the passports themselves during the second part of the OCI application process?

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be applying for US passports for all three of us in our family (1 Renewal, 2 new applicants) by the weekend. Given that the OCI might take a while to process (about a month and a half at least from the timelines I have seen here and elsewhere). I was wondering if I can start the process for the OCI before I have the US passports in hand. Do I need to send Passport Copies along with the first part of the OCI application or will it suffice it to send the passports themselves during the second part of the OCI application process?

Just send legitimate copies of your passport and your family's passports (you don't want to lose passports) in the first part. When the status says documents received at mission port (consulate or embassy), you can mail them to the mission port.

Please take some time to read what is going on in this forum before asking a question or starting a new thread... many times the questions have already been asked and answered. See http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=306092

Sorry my bad. I thought I checked the posts before I posted the thread. Should have looked more carefully. Apologies

Documets for OCI

Adult

Document Enclosed -
1) Copies of my US PP,
2) Copy of Naturalization Certificate
3) Copy Most recent Indian PP
4) Fee for $275
5) Application Form + 2 photos ( 2 spare also)

Child (PIO Card Holder)

1) Fee = $145
2) Photos - Two on forms + 2 spare
3) Copies of PP
4) Copy of Birth Certificate
5) Copy My US PP,
6) Copy of My Indian PP
7) Copy Child's PIO Card

Are there any documets I failed to mention? Also, Any originals should be included during the application?

Adult

Document Enclosed -
1) Copies of my US PP,
2) Copy of Naturalization Certificate
3) Copy Most recent Indian PP
4) Fee for $275
5) Application Form + 2 photos ( 2 spare also)

Child (PIO Card Holder)

1) Fee = $145
2) Photos - Two on forms + 2 spare
3) Copies of PP
4) Copy of Birth Certificate
5) Copy My US PP,
6) Copy of My Indian PP
7) Copy Child's PIO Card

Are there any documets I failed to mention? Also, Any originals should be included during the application?

You don't need a copy of Naturalization Certificate because US passport is sufficient.

Online OCI Registration- Certificate Error

Hi,

Just wanted to know if any one is getting certificate error when you click on the link provided either on emabassy website or consular website.

Am I correct choosing the right Mission for online registration:

INDIA MHA-DELHI (Applying OCI outside India)

INDIA FRRO DELHI, INDIA FRRO CHENNAI, ------- (Applying OCI within India)
-----
I apprciate if you share your experience.

Last edited by a moderator: