Misc. OCI Application Questions

Can I submit OCI on-line application again?

Hi,

I submitted the online application for OCI registration just for myself selecting 'individual' option. I got the web registration number too. But, later I realized my minor child's Indian visa is soon expiring and that I should have included her name too by selecting the option 'family'.

1) Can I submit online application one more time as 'family' and use the new web registration number?
2) Will that cause confusion with the consulate that my name is tied up to two different web registration numbers?
3) Do I have to inform consulate about the same?

Your reply is appreciated. Thank You so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I submitted the online application for OCI registration just for myself selecting 'individual' option. I got the web registration number too. But, later I realized my minor child's Indian visa is soon expiring and that I should have included her name too by selecting the option 'family'.

1) Can I submit online application one more time as 'family' and use the new web registration number?
2) Will that cause confusion with the consulate that my name is tied up to two different web registration numbers?

Yes, go ahead and fill in a new online application with family option. Online regn# has validity only after you physically submit an application.

Also, there is already a thread (Misc OCI Application Questions) dealing with such questions - I'll merge it there.

Submit OCI on-line application again?

Hi,

You can fill out online forms as many times as needed. It gets into the system only after you send the application to Indian consulate.

Why dont you just fill another one for your child ? Is there a rule against it ? On the day I went to pick my OCI card, a lady was there to pick her 11 yr child's OCI card.

However, Please advice on sending $20 / $25/- for return of documents with self-addressed envelope. is it necessary even if we plan to go in person for stamping of U-visa and collection of OCI card ?

NO ! Just Drive from NJ to Upper East Side CGINY, and drop off the passports, and pick it in the afternoon. the $20 can be used to buy hot-dogs at the Central park.

Referral fee for OCI?

Hi nkm-oct23,
Thanks for your reply. However, I have one more question. Do we have to include referral fee of $20? Chicago consulate website states this $20 is "for seeking addl information from Indian Mission/Post in the country of applicant's citizenship".
Thank again.

The referral fee is required only if you are a non-US citizen applying in the US (for example a Canadian citizen eligible for OCI applying for it in the US in which case an inquiry needs to be made to Indian mission in Canada).

If my OCI is granted while I am in India on a Tourist visa, am I eligible for all the OCI benefits immediately even though the OCI visa will not be stamped on my US passport? Can I work remotely from India (for my US-based company) immediately after OCI is granted even though OCI visa may not have been stamped on the US passport? I assume that one cannot work remotely on a tourist visa.

Thanks !!

Marrying in India with OCI

Hi, I am a US citizen and am going to apply for OCI. I am engaged to a person in India and am scheduled to get married on the 1st week of december. I am contemplating whether to apply for OCI or a visitor or entry visa. I was wondering if anyone can advise on this especially with resepct to timeline as I have 2 months before I have to leave for India.

Another question I have is, are there any restrictions for an American with OCI to marry an Indian citizen. We are both Hindu.

I would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Hi, I am a US citizen and am going to apply for OCI. I am engaged to a person in India and am scheduled to get married on the 1st week of december. I am contemplating whether to apply for OCI or a visitor or entry visa. I was wondering if anyone can advise on this especially with resepct to timeline as I have 2 months before I have to leave for India.

Another question I have is, are there any restrictions for an American with OCI to marry an Indian citizen. We are both Hindu.

I would really appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Interesting question... but no, having OCI has no impact in this situation.

Apply for the OCI now, and if you don't get it by 8-10 days before your trip, you can always apply for a visa. From recent time lines, OCI is taking anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months, depending on the consulate/embassy you apply through (and of course one's individual situation, or sometimes sheer luck).

Congratulations and all the best.

online OCI registration question

Hi ,
I would like to register online for OCI of part A for myself and my wife. for part A
if i give my info and spouse section my wife info, would that be suffiecient or do i need fill twice for my wife and my self?
or
fill my self and spouse info take copy of that application and make two sets?

i went thru documents still i'm little confused about part A (online registration).

Thanks
Sreeni

So I can send the passport later after applying for OCI in case I need to get a visa to go right?

Thanks for your quick response.

No restrictions on nationality/citizenship for marriage. Religion is no bar. If marriage is to be registered under hindu marriage act certain rules apply.

Look out - there may be problems if the official at the registrar of marriages is named narasimha.

You'll need to get a marriage cert from the Local Registrar's Office to support your spouse's visa/GC application. I can't think of any issue from US side or India, US doesn't care whether you're OCI or not as the USC is the main criterion.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I can send the passport later after applying for OCI in case I need to get a visa to go right?

Thanks for your quick response.

They clearly state that the US Passport should be submitted ONLY after the OCI is granted and not with the initial submission.

They clearly state that the US Passport should be submitted ONLY after the OCI is granted and not with the initial submission.

Not true... SFO gives you both options. From their instructions: In order to save dispatch time of US/foreign passport and OCI card, the applicants are requested to mail their passports in original along with OCI application. However, if the applicant is traveling or has any plan to travel while OCI application is in process, i.e. within 21 business days, kindly do not send US/foreign passport in original. Mail your US passport once the file number appears on http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html

Not true... SFO gives you both options. From their instructions: In order to save dispatch time of US/foreign passport and OCI card, the applicants are requested to mail their passports in original along with OCI application. However, if the applicant is traveling or has any plan to travel while OCI application is in process, i.e. within 21 business days, kindly do not send US/foreign passport in original. Mail your US passport once the file number appears on http://www.cgisf.org/oc/granted_oci.html

Giving a choice is great though I would hold onto my US passport (if permitted) till it's actually needed for sticker work. Thankfully the Embassy knows that they'll not need the passport for 2-3 months so it's wise of them not to ask for US Passport till the gory end.

Folks, you have all been so kind enough to respond.

I have one more question. When I apply for OCI, they have requested to send my indian passport in original. If I send the original indian passport for OCI and then I need to travel while OCI is in process, I would need to apply for an Indian visitor visa. There they say "Applicants born in India applying for the first time on ANY U.S. passport must submit their Indian passport and a completed renunciation form ". But I wont have the original indian passport. So what could I do? Any ideas.

Thanks for your answers.