Misc. OCI Application Questions

Quick question on applying for OCI card in India

My wife and kids are in Hyderabad,India (for good). Now I want them to apply for OCI card. Did any one have experience in applying for OCI card in India? I recently applied for OCI card from New York and currently the status says
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 11-AUG-2009 (It is 11th already in Delhi)
Is the process any different than the one I did in New York? My worry is mostly about sending passports in Post to Delhi? Is it safe enough? Howmany days does it take
In New York, I am planning to go to Indian Consulate, once the status says the documents are received and get my passport stamped.
I will appreciate if some one can reply

Re: Applying for Visa if OCI is getting delayed

WiscCitizen,

Can you post your result from your conversation with the Chicago consulate ?

I'm also in a similar situation and wondering what kind of visa I should be using to come to India on while my OCI is pending.

OCI processing in US, Stamping by Courier from India ?

I have two weeks in the US to apply for OCI. I would be in India for some time after that.

From the website, it seems I can apply for OCI and go back to India on another visa while the OCI application is pending.
Once the OCI is approved (status available online), I just need to mail in the passports for the stamping.

Now since I would be in India, can I mail in my US/Indian passports ? Either directly by India->US-consulate courier - or send passport by hand to someone in the US, then courier it to Indian Consulate ? Once the Consulate sends the passports and docs back by mail to US address, I could then just have it couriered or hand delivered similarly back to India.

If this is possible, it would save me an additional trip to the US just to get the final OCI stamping in the passport.

Does anyone know if this would be possible ? I have tried calling the Indian Consulate but they're closed for this weekend and I'm in a rush.

I have two weeks in the US to apply for OCI. I would be in India for some time after that.

From the website, it seems I can apply for OCI and go back to India on another visa while the OCI application is pending.
Once the OCI is approved (status available online), I just need to mail in the passports for the stamping.

Now since I would be in India, can I mail in my US/Indian passports ? Either directly by India->US-consulate courier - or send passport by hand to someone in the US, then courier it to Indian Consulate ? Once the Consulate sends the passports and docs back by mail to US address, I could then just have it couriered or hand delivered similarly back to India.

If this is possible, it would save me an additional trip to the US just to get the final OCI stamping in the passport.

Does anyone know if this would be possible ? I have tried calling the Indian Consulate but they're closed for this weekend and I'm in a rush.
Its a bad idea.

It is illegal to send US passport by mail to out of country.

I would suggest you to apply for oci when you are within India. There is an option for that.

I see. If I send it by hand through my cousin who might be traveling next month, is that also illegal ?

The only reason I was thinking of this was that the OCI process seemed to be very simple and fast in the US. And I'm not able to get info on anyone's positive experience on getting OCI done in India.

The other reason is that there is confusion whether OCI in India is dependent on any particular type of visa.

I see. If I send it by hand through my cousin who might be traveling next month, is that also illegal ?

The only reason I was thinking of this was that the OCI process seemed to be very simple and fast in the US. And I'm not able to get info on anyone's positive experience on getting OCI done in India.
Like I said it is a very bad idea. When you are in India as a foreign citizen you are supposed to hold valid passport and visa at all times. What if something happens and you need to show proof to Indian authorities?

Getting oci in India is as easy as getting in here. It has no bearing on what type of visa you have.

I didn't realize that this is illegal. I would be entering India on a valid visa (would probably get a 5 yr visa or something).
Then if my pending OCI is approved, why does my visa status become not valid ? I suppose you're suggesting that my visa status is the status that I enter the country in ..

Ok, then I have two options. One is applying in India as you mentioned. If it's simple, I would just go with it. I just remember a posting in which the FRRO officer told someone that they wouldn't do OCI if the person is on Visitor or Entry/X visa. But Entry/X visa is the one I would get as a person of Indian origin.
Do you know of anyone's experience or any posts that have done OCI in India from Entry/X visa ?

The other option I have is to apply in the US for OCI; In the meantime, get a visa and come to India as I don't want to stay too long in US. Then once the online approval comes, then go to the US, get the stamping done. This is an extra trip but there doesn't seem to be a time limit on that.

I didn't realize that this is illegal. I would be entering India on a valid visa (would probably get a 5 yr visa or something).
Then if my pending OCI is approved, why does my visa status become not valid ? I suppose you're suggesting that my visa status is the status that I enter the country in ..

Ok, then I have two options. One is applying in India as you mentioned. If it's simple, I would just go with it. I just remember a posting in which the FRRO officer told someone that they wouldn't do OCI if the person is on Visitor or Entry/X visa. But Entry/X visa is the one I would get as a person of Indian origin.
Do you know of anyone's experience or any posts that have done OCI in India from Entry/X visa ?

The other option I have is to apply in the US for OCI; In the meantime, get a visa and come to India as I don't want to stay too long in US. Then once the online approval comes, then go to the US, get the stamping done. This is an extra trip but there doesn't seem to be a time limit on that.

I did not mean to create confusion for you.

As long as you enter India with a valid passport and valid visa (no matter what type), why would the FRRO office reject the app? Personally I don't have any experience or know any one who applied oci in India. But the OCI website says it's OK to apply within India.

Checkout the following link: http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/AddressesOCI.pdf

for more info check the MHA website at http://mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553

I think it's a waste of money to come to USA just to get the oci stamp ... if you are going to stay in India long term and no plans to come back to USA within six months or so, I would say apply in India.

Good luck.

First thing is this OCI is nothing but only a life long visa for India ..don't know why pple are crazy for this and wasting a lot of money. Indian govt. made great Idea how to make money...this just govt. is making money only. However,

1. here in your case if you are leaving soon to India and wanted to stay more than 6 months ...then get multiple Entry visa and you can stay more than 6 months. If you apply for tourist visa no matter 6 months or 1 yr.or 5 yr. multiple but by law you can stay only 180 days and tourist visa is not extended...
2. To appling for OCI...if your jurisdication is washington dc then forget it...it will take more than 6 months....so don't worry apply either at this time and go to India with your valid visa and when you come back you can stamp it...there is no rules or andy due date for stamping Usticker in your passport once oci is granted. you can inform that person is in india currently and will be back and get stamped.
3.Or once you comeback then apply for OCI. I would say apply here in USA rather apply in India which is better where you can atleast keep track of our documents etc.
4.Houston,Tx is taking about 8 wks approx. don't know about NY,and other embassy.
5.Finally about regular visa...legar or illlegal ...Iam not talking about...nut by law when you go India you have to have either OCI or regular any kind of visa...and when you landed based on your visa they stamped in your passport and register you so you have to have your passport with you until you comeback...when you comeback then that time they will check your departure status....so that's why work according to by law not legal or illegal....descepencny...but by law never put in more trouble.

I have sent mine and my family's application for OCI to the Chennai FRRO by courier from Hyderabad. It's been over two weeks and I am yet to receive a File Acknowledgement number. Is this usually sent by email, or sent by regular post?

Thanks,
USMAN1180

OCI : More than 2 kids in OCI Application.

Friends,
I have seen the instructions for OCI Application. Along with the parents, 2 more kids can be included as family in the form XIX. How about if one has more than 2 kids ?

example, if I have 5 kids, then I use family form for my self, my wife and 2 kids and separate application each for my other 3 kids ?

appreciate if this can be clarified.

ofcourse, $275/- is for each member included in the family form XIX and not for each application ? right ?

Also, once OCI status is changed to despatched, and if I plan to visit consulate for stamping then I believe no need to send $20 or $25/- with self-addressed return evelope ?

Regards
Sky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never Mind. I got the answers.

If applying as an individual or as a family, select the appropriate option. A reference number will be assigned by the computer upon completing the online registration. Applicant must present this number when arriving at the Consulate. Family of 4 (spouses and two minor children) are to fill in Part A in one go. If a family consists of more than 2 minor children, the application for the third minor child must be filled-in as an individual by selecting option (i). In cases where child/children is/are not minor, independent applications for each child need to be filled-in.

However, Please advice on sending $20 / $25/- for return of documents with self-addressed envelope. is it necessary even if we plan to go in person for stamping of U-visa and collection of OCI card ?

For whom can we apply OCI?

Never mind my grammar ;-)

I am naturalized US citizen and have OCI from 2.5 yrs ago.
My wife is a US citizen by birth and has a multi year visa to India.
I have a daughter who is 20 months old and I am planning to visit india this year.

We figured for budgetary reasons, to apply for my daugthers OCI only this year and in the future before my wife's indian visa expires - apply for her OCI.

Meanwhile if I apply for OCI for my daughter now, I am wondering if following complications arise:

1. travel is in early december - will SFO office be quick in processing?
2. can one parent apply for the child? meaning will there be difficulties if both mom and dad are not OCIs to apply for the child. Do I need to do anything specific, like have my wife write a no-objection certificate?

Any clarity you provide would be awesome!!!

thanksmuch
samskriti

I have a daughter who is 20 months old and I am planning to visit india this year.

We figured for budgetary reasons, to apply for my daugthers OCI only this year and in the future before my wife's indian visa expires - apply for her OCI.

Meanwhile if I apply for OCI for my daughter now, I am wondering if following complications arise:

2. can one parent apply for the child? meaning will there be difficulties if both mom and dad are not OCIs to apply for the child. Do I need to do anything specific, like have my wife write a no-objection certificate?

thanksmuch
samskriti
From SF CGI site, its clear that if one parent is OCI, he/she can apply OCI for children. No additional docs from spouse is requested.

Your wife, who is US Citizen by birth, can only get OCI if she qualifies on her own merits and not by means of being your wife.

thanksmuch
samskriti

Is your spouse eligible for an OCI on her own merit ? not through marriage !!! If yes, then she can get OCI, or she'd be eligible for just PIO.

I have no clue about (2), I do not get the point.

Visa or OCI

I am Indian citizen but was out of status and my passport expired 4 years ago. Now i am going to be US citizen soon. I may travel India in future.
So, can i apply for OCI or PIO card. Will my expired passport will make be ineligible for OCI or PIO . Any suggestions ?

Currently your Indian passport is expired is it ? Wait till you get the US passport, and give OCI a shot.

I am Indian citizen but was out of status and my passport expired 4 years ago. Now i am going to be US citizen soon. I may travel India in future.
So, can i apply for OCI or PIO card. Will my expired passport will make be ineligible for OCI or PIO . Any suggestions ?

By the way, you are not technically out of the status. You have a green card and you are in USA (you are not out of the status -- you can still renew your Indian passport anyways).

When you become a US citizen, your Indian passport is invalid anyways so You can apply for OCI that is better than PIO after you become a US citizen AND you get a US passport.

I suggest you go for US citizenship and then get a US passport and apply for OCI. :)

Last edited by a moderator: