March 2010 Family based filers, post here.

Update

10/15: Sent I-130 to California Service Center
11/2: Notice Date
03/15 Sent I-485 and I-765
03/23 Notces for both applications
04/13 FP Appointment Done
04/22 Requested Expedited Processing on I-765
04/23 Online case update on I-765: Card in production

I am so grateful to this forum. I needed my EAD before May 17th to start grad school on a research assist in the summer semester, and thanks to this forum I realized that I could request expedited processing. It seems that it has worked and hopefully I'll receive the card before the semester starts.

How did you request expedited processing? I'm getting my Biometrics done soon and would also like to request expedited processing. I have a job offer waiting that needs to be updated with a reasonable start date. Thanks

Response

Call USCIS. Enter your receipt number. Eventually you will reach to an option for expedited processing. They have several criteria in order to qualify such as *Extreme Financial Loss to you or a company*, "Extreme Emergency", etc. I picked the one with the non-for-profit organization and explained my situation - that the research group wants me to start in the summer semester, but without my documents, I will not be able to start, and the project will have to be postponed till Fall semester, which will be bad for me and the research group. And the next day the case was updated with card is in production.

If you see the January filers thread, somebody else explained his experience with the same. He picked Extreme financial loss.

Good luck!

hey!
i did think i should have sent it to the place from where i received the I-130 approval....
of course i was wrong... but thanks God they sent it to the right place and i just received last week the NOAs and today i received the FP appointment for May 11 :)
im so happy my mistake didnt cost me too much.

Why did you file your application with the California Service Center? All family based applications (including with copy of a I-130 receipt or approval notice) are sent to the Chicago Lockbox. The information is on page 5 of the I-485 instructions document.

hey!
i did think i should have sent it to the place from where i received the I-130 approval....
of course i was wrong... but thanks God they sent it to the right place and i just received last week the NOAs and today i received the FP appointment for May 11
im so happy my mistake didnt cost me too much.

Could someone help me:

Today I received a "Request for Initial Evidence", asking me to submit evidence showing that the family member who is added on the I-864 form has been able to legally work in the United States (such as I-94, US passport, US birth certificate). Here is the situation: I filed two I-864 forms: (1)one for my wife and I (both students and just short of 125%*poverty line), (2)another from a joint sponser who is a USC and did not need to include her family members.
What I understand is that they require my I-94. The problem is that in the I-485 package I submitted, there was a copy of my I-94 for another form, and, my income is not even claimed for sponsorship on the original I-864, it is only written for completeness. That's the reason we had a joint sponsor in the first place.

So, it is either that they are asking for another copy of my I-9 (which is stupid but fine, I'll send it) or that they are simply mistaken for which I do not know what the proper response should be.

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
May be they are asking for your sponsor's proof of eligibility to work in the US, in which case you can send his passport page to show he is a US citizen, just my 'lay man' thoughts.

Yeah, like TKD said, all they need is proof that the sponsor is eligible to work here in the US. I would send proof of eligibility for all 3 again (petitioner, you and the joint sponsor) to be on the safe side.

Can we go for Biometrics appt in advance in Elizabeth City,NJ? We have a graduate ceremony to attend on the same day (05/17 at same time as Biometrics appointment)

I-130 Mailed on 02/08/2010
I-130 Received @Chicago- 02/11/2010
I-130 NOA Received: 02/17/2010
I-485 Mailed on 03/15/2010
I-485 Received @Chicago: 03/18/2010
I-485 Rejected 03/28/2010 (I did not include I-130 notice of action)
I-485 Additional Info sent: 04/03/2010
I-485 Notice Date: 04/14/2010
Biometrics appt date: 05/17
DO-Newark,NJ

Many people have done walk-ins. We were able to to do it in Miami just a couple of weeks ago.
My wife went in the day after we got the letter. The security guard asked if she had an appointment
and she said yes. He let her in then when she spoke to the biometrics people it was no problem.

A few people on the march thread have tried walk-in's successfully. Usually, if you have a valid reason, they should let you do a walk in without issues.

SDQmer, I think the possibility of "walk-in" fingerprint depends on the specific biometrics office and the officer you talk to. My scheduled biometrics was on April 12th at Elizabeth City, NJ, same as yours. I had to teach on that day and so on April 8th I went to the office, with proof of my teaching schedule. I thought that mine was a decent reason, and I really wasn't trying to walk in on an earlier date to speed up my application. He wouldn't allow me to do the fingerprint, no matter what I said to them. The officer was nice, but he insisted that if I cannot make it on that day, I can come back on any Wednesdays after the scheduled appointment, but I cannot do it earlier. I eventually ended up finding a sub for my teaching job on that day and went to do the biometrics, because on the biometrics letter, it says clearly that if I missed this date, my application will be treated as abandoned. I didn't know how much I can trust what the officer told me without any written evidence to show that I can miss the appointment. So even though many people on this forum have succeeded in walking-in, it really depends on the office and whether the officer is happy on that day or not. Good luck with your biometrics and your graduation.

Dear March fellow filers,
I have a quick question regarding to the update of my online status. As shown in my signature, I have filed my application on March 10th and did my fingerprint on April 13th. I am wondering if it is normal that my current online status for the I-485 is still in "Initial Acceptance". I think I saw somewhere on this forum that someone summarized the expected changing time-line of the online status corresponding to USCIS' reviewing procedure, but I cannot find the post. Since I found this forum after I filed my application, I did not send in the form to request for email or text message updates. I just want to check with you guys who are filing at the same time, whether it is normal for my status to stay as "initial acceptance", while all the other three applications are in "initial review" stage.

Thanks in advance for your help.
NJbug

May be they are asking for your sponsor's proof of eligibility to work in the US, in which case you can send his passport page to show he is a US citizen, just my 'lay man' thoughts.

I don't think this is the case as (1)a copy of joint sponsor's passport was attached and (2)the letter asks for this documentation from "family member".

Dear March fellow filers,
I have a quick question regarding to the update of my online status. As shown in my signature, I have filed my application on March 10th and did my fingerprint on April 13th. I am wondering if it is normal that my current online status for the I-485 is still in "Initial Acceptance". I think I saw somewhere on this forum that someone summarized the expected changing time-line of the online status corresponding to USCIS' reviewing procedure, but I cannot find the post. Since I found this forum after I filed my application, I did not send in the form to request for email or text message updates. I just want to check with you guys who are filing at the same time, whether it is normal for my status to stay as "initial acceptance", while all the other three applications are in "initial review" stage.

Thanks in advance for your help.
NJbug

I applied around the same time as you. My I-485 online status shows "Initial acceptance" too while the 765 and 130 ones show "Initial Review".I am guessing these would change when there is some activity like card production or interview letter being sent out. Filers from previous months could provide us with more information on this.

I applied around the same time as you. My I-485 online status shows "Initial acceptance" too while the 765 and 130 ones show "Initial Review".I am guessing these would change when there is some activity like card production or interview letter being sent out. Filers from previous months could provide us with more information on this.

Thanks jason79, it's good to know someone else has the same status. I guess it should be normal, just a little paranoid and want to make sure.

SDQmer, I think the possibility of "walk-in" fingerprint depends on the specific biometrics office and the officer you talk to. My scheduled biometrics was on April 12th at Elizabeth City, NJ, same as yours. I had to teach on that day and so on April 8th I went to the office, with proof of my teaching schedule. I thought that mine was a decent reason, and I really wasn't trying to walk in on an earlier date to speed up my application. He wouldn't allow me to do the fingerprint, no matter what I said to them. The officer was nice, but he insisted that if I cannot make it on that day, I can come back on any Wednesdays after the scheduled appointment, but I cannot do it earlier. I eventually ended up finding a sub for my teaching job on that day and went to do the biometrics, because on the biometrics letter, it says clearly that if I missed this date, my application will be treated as abandoned. I didn't know how much I can trust what the officer told me without any written evidence to show that I can miss the appointment. So even though many people on this forum have succeeded in walking-in, it really depends on the office and whether the officer is happy on that day or not. Good luck with your biometrics and your graduation.

NJbug, Myself and Lexin are January filers that use the Newark NJ DO,i just completed my interview yesterday you can check out our timeline if it will be of any help to you. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: